Need KM 5400 II Scanner repair
Old 01-05-2012   #1
srtiwari
Daktari

Need KM 5400 II Scanner repair

My scanner suddenly refused to turn on, after being used just a few minutes earlier. my simple attempts to readjust the power cable etc., did nothing. Opening the case shows nothing "out of place" to my untrained eye. The scanner had not been moved/jostled etc., and I was just testing it to send off to someone interested in it.

I cannot get past Sony's automated answer system to talk to anyone, but understand they no longer fix scanners.
Precision camera (despite a "quote" for repair online), tell me they no longer have parts to fix KM scanners.

Anyone have any ideas about where I could look next ? Don't know if the regular camera repair guys (DAG etc) do this work. The KM 5400 II is a lovely scanner, and I'd hate to lose using it.

Old 01-05-2012   #2
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtiwari View Post
My scanner suddenly refused to turn on, after being used just a few minutes earlier. my simple attempts to readjust the power cable etc., did nothing. Opening the case shows nothing "out of place" to my untrained eye. The scanner had not been moved/jostled etc., and I was just testing it to send off to someone interested in it.

I cannot get past Sony's automated answer system to talk to anyone, but understand they no longer fix scanners.
Precision camera (despite a "quote" for repair online), tell me they no longer have parts to fix KM scanners.

Anyone have any ideas about where I could look next ? Don't know if the regular camera repair guys (DAG etc) do this work. The KM 5400 II is a lovely scanner, and I'd hate to lose using it.
That may not help you, but my Coolscan V just went dead from one day to the other. After a couple of month, I decided to check it myself and opened it. So I found they actually did not provide the proper fuse (2A required but 1A slotted in), which eventually smoked the underspecified fuse.

After replacing it, the scanner works now for more than a year with no complaints.

Good luck

Ivo

Old 01-05-2012   #3
srtiwari
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
That may not help you, but my Coolscan V just went dead from one day to the other. After a couple of month, I decided to check it myself and opened it. So I found they actually did not provide the proper fuse (2A required but 1A slotted in), which eventually smoked the underspecified fuse.

After replacing it, the scanner works now for more than a year with no complaints.

Good luck

Ivo
Thank you, Ivo , for the response. I did open it, but could not figure out if/where there was a fuse. If I knew that I could give it a shot.
Subhash

Old 01-05-2012   #4
Photon42
burn the box

For some reason I cannot upload images (quote problem, but I only have 134k used and the one I want to upload has 54k ...). Here is a link to the L-Forum for the picture of the Coolscan fuse. Maybe that helps.

Old 01-05-2012   #5
cabbiinc
Slightly Irregular

I would ask the folks at KEH.com where they would suggest to send it for repairs. I don't have any experience with asking that question but I'd think if anyone knew where to send a scanner it would be them.