Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha / NEX Mirrorless > Sony NEX APS-C format

Sony NEX APS-C format For the many Sony fixed lens digital compact cameras

NEX-7 Zeiss Full Size Samples
Old 09-16-2011   #1
bwcolor

NEX-7 Zeiss Full Size Samples

Just posted at:

Dpreview

Last edited by bwcolor : 09-16-2011 at 06:22.

Old 09-16-2011   #2
porktaco

goddammit. i don't want to spend $1k on a 35mm equiv.

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 09-16-2011   #3
dexdog
sans bokeh

Those images look very good. The only Sony lens that I have ever used is the 18-55 that came with my NEX 5, and I am not that impressed with its performance. That 24mm Zeiss looks nice, though.

Old 09-16-2011   #4
jsrockit

I'd rather use a M Zeiss w/ adapter than this zeiss. It's just too big.

Old 09-16-2011   #5
bwcolor

I just downsized and adjusted the biker in air and it certainly looks good to me. Dpreview crowd are all negative, which I don't get. The Zeiss looks much better than the kit lens samples. Sony needs better lenses.

I won't use this Zeiss lens, but these are the first samples with a good lens.

Old 09-16-2011   #6
j j

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
Dpreview crowd are all negative, which I don't get.
It's what the Dpreview crowd do best.

Old 09-16-2011   #7
gavinlg

I'm gonna say it... I don't think the size of the zeiss is worth it - which is supposed to be a compact system. There's not really anything in those samples which shows it's a good lens to me - I need to see some medium distance shots wide open with a model.

The nex 7 looks nice, though the IQ doesn't look any better than current DSLRs really...

Old 09-16-2011   #8
segedi
RFicianado

Will be mounting the 25mm ZM via adapter if I end up getting a NEX. But the E lens seems to perform pretty well. Would like to see how its AF performs.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 09-16-2011   #9
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
The nex 7 looks nice, though the IQ doesn't look any better than current DSLRs really...
For many people it won't need to. The reduced form factor at parity of IQ might be enough.

Not me though... still holding out for an M9 at $900. I expect they'll be plentiful in 2022, though finding fresh batteries might be an issue.

Old 09-16-2011   #10
bwcolor

Agreed, form factor with legacy lenses is what I'm looking for, but there is another form factor that isn't working in favor of the NEX-7.

My 3.6TB volume is just about full. I shoot and store RAW. Is the NEX-7 RAW file really worth saving? I suspect not. I'm not wanting to deal with such large image files in Aperture. It is really the storage space that has me concerned. So, I need to decide if it is worth the extra effort to downsize all image and store as TIFF. After all, there is also the GXR system where none of this is required. How much better is the NEX-7 image for most of what I shoot? The GXR has both form factor and file size going for it.

Old 09-16-2011   #11
jsrockit

Quote:
Agreed, form factor with legacy lenses is what I'm looking for, but there is another form factor that isn't working in favor of the NEX-7.

My 3.6TB volume is just about full. I shoot and store RAW. Is the NEX-7 RAW file really worth saving? I suspect not. I'm not wanting to deal with such large image files in Aperture. It is really the storage space that has me concerned.
Hard drives are dirt cheap, so I'm not sure why you are stressing this aspect.

Old 09-16-2011   #12
douglasf13

It's tough to design a small, f1.8 24mm lens that performs well at the edges. Really, the only equivalent smaller option is the ZM 25/2.8, but it is a stop and a half slower, and it is still only about 5-10mm shorter with the adapter attached.

Old 09-16-2011   #13
porktaco

holy crap DPR is an NEX whinefest.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=37648137

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

Old 09-16-2011   #14
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
After all, there is also the GXR system where none of this is required. How much better is the NEX-7 image for most of what I shoot? The GXR has both form factor and file size going for it.
You are comparing products from a unique and innovative *camera* manufacturer versus an electronic behemoth who pretends to be a camera manufacturer.... not fair.

Old 09-16-2011   #15
douglasf13

Quote:

My 3.6TB volume is just about full. I shoot and store RAW. Is the NEX-7 RAW file really worth saving? I suspect not. I'm not wanting to deal with such large image files in Aperture. It is really the storage space that has me concerned. So, I need to decide if it is worth the extra effort to downsize all image and store as TIFF. After all, there is also the GXR system where none of this is required. How much better is the NEX-7 image for most of what I shoot? The GXR has both form factor and file size going for it.
The 4 biggest things that I see that the NEX-7 has going for it, over the GXR M module, are:

1) Tilt up screen (this would have been a deal breaker for me, if the NEX-7 didn't have this.)
2) Much higher quality EVF (and it is built-in on the NEX, rather than a large appendage.)
3) Ability to use Hawks helicoid adapter, which allows SLR-like close focus with M lenses.
4) Ability to use just about any other type of lens out there.

Buying more hardware space is just a fact of life, and, honestly, I'm pretty excited for the NEX-7 to get closer to my A900 in resolution. At my print size, it isn't hugely noticeable, but there is a difference.

Old 09-16-2011   #16
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Hard drives are dirt cheap, so I'm not sure why you are stressing this aspect.
There is the hard drive and two other backup drives. So, I want to buy extra drives only if the image quality makes a difference in my end product, which these days is mostly Blurb books and 12"x18" hanging on my wall.

Right now, the better EVF and the ability to use my Contax G and Zeiss C/Y lenses in addition to Leica M has me interested in the Sony. Not sure that the 24MPix is a plus.

Old 09-16-2011   #17
porktaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
The 4 biggest things that I see that the NEX-7 has going for it, over the GXR M module, are:

1) Tilt up screen (this would have been a deal breaker for me, if the NEX-7 didn't have this.)
2) Much higher quality EVF (and it is built-in on the NEX, rather than a large appendage.)
3) Ability to use Hawks helicoid adapter, which allows SLR-like close focus with M lenses.
4) Ability to use just about any other type of lens out there.

Buying more hardware space is just a fact of life, and, honestly, I'm pretty excited for the NEX-7 to get closer to my A900 in resolution. At my print size, it isn't hugely noticeable, but there is a difference.
this. i could actually go without the tiltup screen. the built-in EVF is the dealbreaker for me

Old 09-16-2011   #18
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
For many people it won't need to. The reduced form factor at parity of IQ might be enough.
I know most of you guys are thinking about using it with M lenses, but with the native sony lenses it really doesn't look any smaller than a DSLR.

Old 09-16-2011   #19
porktaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
I know most of you guys are thinking about using it with M lenses, but with the native sony lenses it really doesn't look any smaller than a DSLR.

Old 09-16-2011   #20
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by porktaco View Post
goddammit. i don't want to spend $1k on a 35mm equiv.
OK, goddamnit! Keep your $1k!

My Flickr

Last edited by Vics : 09-17-2011 at 06:20.

Old 09-16-2011   #21
porktaco

hehehehehe

Old 09-16-2011   #22
Vics

Quote:
hehehehehe
Thanks for the laugh. Seriously, they didn't look all that great to me. Save your money.

My Flickr

Old 09-16-2011   #23
Thardy

Quote:
Now that's funny. Hehehehe

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 09-16-2011   #24
gavinlg

Quote:
Zeiss 24mm f1.8 (35mm equiv) on a nex 5:

Canon 35mm f2 on a 5d:

The Canon 35mm looks like it's about a third the size of the Zeiss 24mm.

Old 09-16-2011   #25
porktaco

bert is now staring directly at the giant lensed compact camera

Old 09-16-2011   #26
Thardy

Look at the size of that thing!

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 09-16-2011   #27
douglasf13

The NEX-5 setup is still considerably smaller than the smallest DSLR, both with kit zooms. Here is a pic of one of the smallest DSLRs (technically SLT,) the A33, with a 28mm prime compared to a NEX-5 and kit zoom. The SLR kit zoom would make the SLR kit even longer.

Courtesy of CTYankee on dyxum.com:

Here's a pic of the 24/1.8 with a better size reference and less distortion:

Last edited by douglasf13 : 09-16-2011 at 19:28.

Old 09-16-2011   #28
Bob Ross

To satify my curiosity, I downloaded the picture of the blond guy with his bike, more to look at the IQ than the lens performance. The image file responded well to my usual PP routine that adjusts tone & saturation curves, using masks. With some sharpening for printing it made a nice letter size print. No nasties can be seen at 8X mag.
Looking for the lens personality told me I was wasting my time It is a nice lens, but the IQ in the print is probably mostly due to the sensor. The 24MP is certainly not needed for the print that I made, but it is sort of nice to have it available. It will be interesting to see how photographers from various walks of photography use this Multi Functional Rear Lenscap, AKA MURL
Bob

Old 09-16-2011   #29
raid
Dad Photographer

The 35/1.4 summilux is tiny in comparison.
This is illogical; why would SONY have Zeiss make such a monstrous lens for the digital camera?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-16-2011   #30
gavinlg

Quote:
So basically they take up the same amount of room in a bag, but one has a rubbish 18-55mm zoom lens and no viewfinder...
The nex 7 and 24mm f1.8 are quite a bit bigger again too.

What I'm saying is that something like an e-p3/g3 with the panasonic 20mm f1.7 would be less than half the size - maybe a third of the size of the nex 7/24 1.8, and would still be pretty similar in terms of specs - 40mm/1.7 vs 35mm/1.8... nex 7 has better IQ sure, but a 5d + 35L has better IQ again, and it's not much bigger, and would probably handle better + optical viewfinder.

Forgive me for thinking out loud - I realize it's a bit disjointed...

Last edited by gavinlg : 09-16-2011 at 20:15.

Old 09-16-2011   #31
fotomeow
name under my name

yes, its large, but they do have the 1.5 crop factor to deal with. That said, they still could only get it to go as fast as 1.8... ANd dont get me started on dorky oversized hoods. My God, the hoods get bigger and bigger every year.!

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 09-16-2011   #32
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomeow View Post
ANd dont get me started on dorky oversized hoods. My God, the hoods get bigger and bigger every year.!
Yeah this is a pet peeve of mine - I don't even use the hood on my 35L - it's like the size of the lens itself.

Old 09-16-2011   #33
douglasf13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
This is illogical; why would SONY have Zeiss make such a monstrous lens for the digital camera?
The 25 Summilux is a more appropriate comparison, and it is closer in size, and it doesn't have an af motor or auto aperture. Zeiss isn't going to design lenses with massive distortion like m4/3 that need software correction.

Good thread about the design of the new Zeiss: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...3&changemode=1

Old 09-16-2011   #34
j j

"5d + 35L... not much bigger"

Only if the SLR is far away.

Old 09-17-2011   #35
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Have you seen the other Zeiss lenses in the full format wide angle area. They seem not to be capable (at their price point) to come up with something reasonably compact. I was looking at the 35 mm Zeiss Nikon options. That's a joke. Sorry. The NEX needs neat small native lenses. Can't see any.

Rgds
Ivo

Old 09-17-2011   #36
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
Have you seen the other Zeiss lenses in the full format wide angle area. They seem not to be capable (at their price point) to come up with something reasonably compact. I was looking at the 35 mm Zeiss Nikon options. That's a joke. Sorry. The NEX needs neat small native lenses. Can't see any.

Rgds
Ivo
Zeiss generally doesn't care about anything except ultimate IQ - thats why their lenses are usually bigger than the competition. The Zeiss ZE 35mm f1.4 distagon (despite being stunning optically) is a decent bit bigger than the equivalent canon 35mm f1.4L - and the latter has autofocus to boot.

Another good example is in the zm lenses - the 35mm biogon f2 is much larger than the other f2 35mm lenses around.

Nex 7 Should look nice with 40mm Nokton
Old 09-17-2011   #37
eleskin

Nex 7 Should look nice with 40mm Nokton

The 40mm f1.4 Nokton is a small, fast lens that should look really nice mounted on the NEX 7!

Old 09-17-2011   #38
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post

Rgds
Ivo
Until they figure out how to produce small and high quality small sized fast lenses, use legacy lenses with the NEX.

Old 09-17-2011   #39
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
The 25 Summilux is a more appropriate comparison, and it is closer in size, and it doesn't have an af motor or auto aperture. Zeiss isn't going to design lenses with massive distortion like m4/3 that need software correction.

Good thread about the design of the new Zeiss: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...3&changemode=1
Douglas,
I meant the 35/1.4 pre-asph on an M body.

Old 09-18-2011   #40
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Until they figure out how to produce small and high quality small sized fast lenses, use legacy lenses with the NEX.
Yes, sir There are always ways around it. I still believe you need at least some lenses with reasonable size for such a camera, also supporting AF. After all, this is a new camera line. Size is the selling point.

Cheers
Ivo