Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders

Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders Konica and Zeiss versions of the AE electronic film rangefinder camera

Help me fill out my ZI kit
Old 07-13-2011   #1
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Help me fill out my ZI kit

Have a ZI with a CV Nokton 35/1.4 SC, and a Leica Elmarit 90/2.8. I also have a CV Bessa R4A with a CV 21mm. I need (or at least think I do) a 50mm lens to complete my kit. I have a Jupiter 8 50/2 which images real nice but the aperture ring, if you have ever owned one, has no clicks so it can move way too easy. So...help me pick a 50mm lens for those times when a 50mm is the lens to use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-13-2011   #2
Paddy C
Unused film collector

That's easy isn't it?

50/1.5 ZM Sonnar or 50/2 Planar. Because you don't have another Zeiss lens I would be very tempted by the Sonnar. That would give you speed and character.

Old 07-13-2011   #3
segedi
RFicianado

+1 50/2 Planar

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 07-13-2011   #4
Vics

I'd think about a Leica lens to match the signature of your 90 Elmarit. Maybe the rigid cron? Or even an Elmar 3.5. That would be a cool walkaround lens!

My Flickr

Old 07-13-2011   #5
Photon42
burn the box

I through in the 1.1/50 Nokton. Why? It's just a very fast lens which comes in handy in certain situations. I like the signature as well. You've already got the small 35. No need for another stealth lens

Old 07-13-2011   #6
hausen

+ 1 for 50/1.5 Sonnar

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 07-13-2011   #7
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
I through in the 1.1/50 Nokton. Why? It's just a very fast lens which comes in handy in certain situations. I like the signature as well. You've already got the small 35. No need for another stealth lens
that's a good point. But 1.4 seems plenty fast for me. What about the Heliar 50/2? or even a Summarit 2.5?

Old 07-13-2011   #8
fotomeow
name under my name

well we see who the Zeiss fans are!
I think the Zeiss rendition will be too modern compared to your kit. If you want to have a similar look/feel to the CV 21mm and 35mm and the 90/2.8, I would shoot for a CV 50/2.5 or so, or an older Leica, like the Rigid (as said above).
Do you want consistent rendition from lens to lens or do you want to mix it up?

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 07-13-2011   #9
keepright
matthew

Another endorsement of the 1,5/50 ZM Sonnar – it's two lenses for the price of one-and-a-third. I admit that I prefer my 2/35 Biogon most of the time, but you already have a good 35 (not that one is always enough) and the 1,5/50 is something special if you like that kind of thing.

I don't see much additional value with the 50/1.1 over the 35/1.4 for low-light use; give the difference in holdable shutter speeds, it's pretty much an even swap.

Old 07-13-2011   #10
kxl
Social Documentary

I had both the Sonnar and Planar at one time, before I decided to trade the Sonnar for a 25/2.8 Biogon, and kept the Planar. It was a personal preference. Seems like you already have a good spread with a 21-35-90, so I don't think you "need" a 50, but of course wanting one and needing one are two different things, and absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Myself, I have 2 ZI's, and more often than not, I usually go out with a 3 lens kit, either an 18-35-75 or a 25-50-90. Of course, there's no hard fast rule for a "kit" and I do mix and match sometimes, but I always seem to go back to one of the above combos.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 07-14-2011   #11
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
that's a good point. But 1.4 seems plenty fast for me. What about the Heliar 50/2? or even a Summarit 2.5?
I don't have either - so it's difficult to talk about personal impressions

From what's available, the Heliar only focuses down to 1m, AFAIK. The Nokton isn't actually much better, but the Noctilux competition from Leica is the same - so no direct better option for a 1.1 aperture. The Summarit 50 I think goes down to 0.8m.

I don't want to talk you into the Nokton, but it is not always about getting around low light conditions, but to toy with the ultra thin DOF.

Rgds
Ivo

Old 07-14-2011   #12
jsrockit

Voigtlander 1.5 Nokton
Zeiss Planar
Leica Summicron
Voigtlander Nickel Heliar f/2

Old 07-14-2011   #13
imush

I endorse the Heliar 50/2, unless you really need a superfast lens. It is smaller and cheaper than the Planar (or Sonnar, for that matter). Sorry for the ostentatious examples, but they are to the point:

Old 07-14-2011   #14
illuminati_02

My 2 50's are the Sonnar and 'Lux pre-asph e43. I love both of them, but honestly the lux blows me away. It is magical and if I ever had to choose between them I would be keeping the lux. They both seem incapable of producing anything but special prints, but the Leica is extra super spectacular special. ...

Old 07-14-2011   #15
Roger Hicks

Another Sonnar user. I never used 50s much, after I could afford a 35/1.4, until I got the Sonnar. I have had several other fast 50s, Nokton old and new, Summarit, Xenon, Canon f/1.2, and in non RF fit, 58/1.4 and 50/1.2 Nikkors. Only the C-Sonnar persuades me to use 50mm (but then, I can't afford a Noctilux f/1, which I borrowed for a year from a friend)

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-14-2011   #16
haempe
negative guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
What about the Heliar 50/2?
I love my Heliar. It has character. Not that crazy Sonnar bokeh, but different then all the double-gauss around. It is my favorite 50. Not fast enough for all my needs, but for avalaible darkness I have now a Canon 50/1.4. Not that pleasant as the Heliar, but sufficient in bad light situations and affordable.
The Heliar gives some dreamy atmosphere to the OOF areas, but is really sharp in focus.
Two examples on Polypan F (which produces the glow):

haempe.net

Old 07-14-2011   #17
tbarker13
shooter of stuff

Love the Zeiss planar. Might be a nice addition to your kit to have a lens that offers a more modern rendering.
Really wanted to like the two Sonnars I tried, but just couldn't put up with the focus shift.

Old 07-14-2011   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by imush View Post
Quite beautiful color here...

Old 07-15-2011   #19
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imush View Post
I endorse the Heliar 50/2, unless you really need a superfast lens. It is smaller and cheaper than the Planar (or Sonnar, for that matter). Sorry for the ostentatious examples, but they are to the point:

nice examples

Old 07-15-2011   #20
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasw_ View Post
ZM C Sonnar 50/1,5 --- lovely look to shots of people. BTW, akiva don't you own a M3?
yes I do. BTW the Heliar looks rather soft. The examples are good shots but I think I am ruling out this lens. I am leaning toward the C Sonnar. A little more than I want to spend, but I guess I could be like normal folks and save up for it.

Old 07-15-2011   #21
illuminati_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
What a "glowing" review.

(in reference to the "Leica Glow")
My copy does not exhibit the "Glow", which is ok, since it is a fine lens without it. I pulled some samples from my Facebook () since I am on my work computer, and included some from my 35 'lux pre-asph as a comparison, which has plenty of glow.

All are on HP5+, in ID11 for 7:30. Straight scans from a Plustek 7400, no sharpening or post. Quality may be suffering from the small files being pulled from facebook... hmm. I could repost originals later.

First 3 are the 35 'lux wide open, last shot may be f2, and the last 3 are the '50 lux, wide open except for the outdoor shot, which is probably f2.8-4.

Last edited by illuminati_02 : 07-15-2011 at 11:43.

Old 07-15-2011   #22
maddoc
... likes film.

ZM 28/2.8 and ZM 50/2.0 are a very good combination as a "can-do-mostly-everything" kit while the ZM 50/1.5 is perfect as a single lens kit for portrait work.

flickr
pBase