Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

are the lenses and shutters on folding cameras interchangeable?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
aizan

are the lenses and shutters on folding cameras interchangeable?

So if you had a folder with an anastigmat in a Derval shutter, could you swap it for a Heliar in a Compur shutter later if you came across one? Assuming they are the same focal length and for the same film format.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
So if you had a folder with an anastigmat in a Derval shutter, could you swap it for a Heliar in a Compur shutter later if you came across one? Assuming they are the same focal length and for the same film format.
It all depends on the individual camera and lens/shutter assemblies. Most could probably be done, degree of difficulty is the kicker. There's a point after which the effort isn't warranted by the potential results.

G

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
aizan

I would think the lens/shutter assemblies are the same if they were for the same camera model to keep it simple. I wish I could get my hands on some cameras to confirm, but all I’ve got are internet photos.

Is anybody here crazy enough to have gotten two of the exact same folder cameras, except they have different lenses?

lens/shutter swaps
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
randy stewart

lens/shutter swaps

You cannot assume such lens/shutters would be immediately interchangeable. First, assuming a good physical fit for the interchange, there may be alignment issues. A shutter release connection may not fit the replacement shutter. The speed or aperture indexes may be located as to be unreadable or hard to set. Secondly, and more subtle, the focal length marked on any lens is usually an approximation. In a manufacturing run of the "same" lens, you may get variations in focal length. These differences are measured optically and compensated for during manufacture by installing shims which space the shutter a bit forward of the mount to compensate. So, two different lenses of same marked focal length could be a couple of millimeters different from each other.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I never tried this. Focal length has to match the length of the bellows. At least.
With some simple folders I didn't shimmed anything, but made new stop for the bellows.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

If you have similar focal length lenses, go for it. You'll have to get a groundglass to optically confirm both infinity as well as alignment of the lens to the focal plane but it can certainly be done. You'll almost certainly have to make a fine adjustment depending upon the ctual focal length of your lens to your film plane. It's easier to add shims than it is to make that lens sit closer to the focal plane though, just in case you're in love with using a certain body for this project.
If you have a coupled rangefinder on this thing, I wouldn't do it just because of the aforementioned headache then having to calibrate the focusing system to the lens.
Phil Forrest

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
aizan

So as of this evening, I've got a 6x9 Voigtländer Rollfilm with an 11.4cm f/4.5 Anastigmat Skopar in a dial-set Compur on the way. I'll keep an eye out for a Heliar and let you know if it fits or not!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
kymar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
I would think the lens/shutter assemblies are the same if they were for the same camera model to keep it simple. I wish I could get my hands on some cameras to confirm, but all I’ve got are internet photos.

Is anybody here crazy enough to have gotten two of the exact same folder cameras, except they have different lenses?
I have 2 Voigtlander Perkeos. I'm sure they have different lens / shutter combos. Won't be home for a few days to do a side by side tho.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
charjohncarter

I'm not sure about all cameras, but I had a shutter go bad on my First Six camera. And I put a German Pronto shutter in it and the lens fit perfectly. So it is possible, but I'm sure you would have to check your specific camera, lens, and shutter.

So why would I do that? I did it because the lens is a wonderfully flawed lens. I just couldn't part with it.

Kodak Portra 160 NC by John Carter, on Flickr