Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

Which Fuji X series 16MP body ?
Old 11-04-2019   #1
Ste_S

Which Fuji X series 16MP body ?

Looking to buy a Fuji 16MP body second hand as an entry into the X series. Will be buying the 23mm f2 and using adapted 35 and 50mm Nikkor glass initially.
I think I probably want a rangefinder style body, and always find a pop up
Flash useful.

X-E2 then ? Or is there anything else I should be considering ?

Old 11-04-2019   #2
Axel

X-E1 or X-M1. They are a cheap entry in the system.

I am using my X-M1 all the time since years. No need to "upgrade"

Old 11-04-2019   #3
jsrockit

X-E2 is your camera. It has everything you want coupled with an adequate EVF For manual focus and decent autofocus. Anything cheaper (or older) is not a compromise worth accepting...meaning primitive AF and EVF or no EVF at all.

The only other option you can consider that will match it is the X-T10 or X-T20, but those aren't rangefinder shaped.

Old 11-04-2019   #4
jarski

why not original XPro? these can be had cheap nowadays, and Fuji did lot of software updates to get most of this model.

Old 11-04-2019   #5
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
why not original XPro? these can be had cheap nowadays, and Fuji did lot of software updates to get most of this model.
Not the best idea for manual focus lenses. The evf is primitive-and the focusing aids are too. The AF is slower too.

Old 11-04-2019   #6
Axel

It depends where you come from. And what you want.
The viewfinders and the autofocus of the first series of Fuji X devices are quiet good useable.

The next generation was better.

But if the intention is "better" there will be a lot of alternatives - always.

Old 11-04-2019   #7
willie_901

While I adore the X Pro OVF, I also recommend the XE-2.

The XE-2 is one generation ahead of the X-Pro 1. The second generation increases sensor signal-to-noise ratio and offers superior focusing. The former is important to both high dynamic range and low light scenes. The second generation cameras have much faster internal CPUs which supports more sophisticated focusing algorithms.

The X-T2 has an articulated rear LCD screen which means it can be used as a waist-level view camera. The articulated screen is also useful for tripod work. The X-T2 supports a vertical battery grip with two more batteries. So, if the EVF hump is not an aesthetic issue, the X-T2 is worth a look.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-04-2019   #8
taemo

^X-T2 is however the 24MP sensor.

I would also recommend the XE-2, it's the body I keep on coming back when I'm itching to shoot Fuji. XE-1 is good too for native Fuji lenses but EVF is not the best for manual focusing, do-able but not quick.

What about the X-T1?

Old 11-04-2019   #9
Dogman

I'll agree on the XE2 or XE2S--both are essentially the same if you do the firmware update to the XE2. Some Fuji users still love the look of the XE1 and that might be a bargain choice.

While I'm an XPro guy, it's because I love OVFs. I never got on with the XE series due to that reason but its EVF is much better for manual focus lenses.

Old 11-04-2019   #10
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
Looking to buy a Fuji 16MP body second hand as an entry into the X series. Will be buying the 23mm f2 and using adapted 35 and 50mm Nikkor glass initially.
I think I probably want a rangefinder style body, and always find a pop up
Flash useful.
When I was looking for a Fuji 16MP rangefinder style body that was similar to my Leica and Contax film rangefinders, I selected the Fuji X-Pro1. Since my film rangefinders did not have a pop up flash, I did not mind that the X-Pro1 did not have one.

I initially used adapted 24mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor manual focus lenses but quickly replaced them with 23mm and 56mm Fuji auto focus glass.

Contax G1, Fuji X-Pro1, Leica M6 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 11-04-2019   #11
Gerry M
Gerry

X-E2 with the 27/2.8 makes a very compact walkaround kit.

Old 11-04-2019   #12
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
It depends where you come from. And what you want.
The viewfinders and the autofocus of the first series of Fuji X devices are quiet good useable.

The next generation was better.

But if the intention is "better" there will be a lot of alternatives - always.
But those of us who have used every generation know the differences and are steering the OP in the direction of the best performance and value. The OP already had the X-E2 In mind. The X-Pro1 was a great camera but not the best for his needs.

Old 11-04-2019   #13
Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
But those of us who have used every generation know the differences and are steering the OP in the direction of the best performance and value. The OP already had the X-E2 In mind. The X-Pro1 was a great camera but not the best for his needs.

Sure I have used the different generations, too.

I think there is less need for "steering".
I would appreciate if you could accept that I have a slight different opinion

Old 11-04-2019   #14
narsuitus

Quote:
X-E2 then ? Or is there anything else I should be considering ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Since the original poster asked if there is anything else that should be considered, I see nothing wrong with the variety of suggestions posted in this thread.

Old 11-04-2019   #15
jsrockit

Sorry I offended you guys. However, the OP is asking for opinions and steering no? I just think the X-E2 is going to do what he wants better than the X-Pro1. I like the X-Pro1 better too, but I don’t use manual focus lenses. If I did, it would not be my choice.

Old 11-04-2019   #16
Greg Maslak

I chose the X-E2s/27mm as my introduction to digital overall mostly because of the deep discount on the kit just prior to the launch of the X-E3. I had missed a similar "great deal" on X-Pro1s previously and have pined for one ever since, even though the XE-2 is excellent for my needs, so I get Steve's mixed feelings.

I wonder if the advantages of the EVF on the XEs for manual focus matter as much as other suggest. If you zone focus film rangefinders, you can just as easily do that with the X-Pro1 and the Nikkors so it may not make that much difference compared to the XE. The XE-2s are small and a bit fiddly to handle, so the X-Pro1 would give a more rangefinder experience that Steve's looking for. I wouldn't discount it because of manual focus weaknesses.

Old 11-04-2019   #17
benlees

I think the X-E2 is a great choice. I also prefer the X-Pro1 but it is not great for focusing manual lenses. I use both AF and MF on my X-Pro1 and I usually zone focus when I have an old Yashica lens on it! If you have lots of time to squint then the EVF does work fine...

The X-E2 is also a tidy package compared to the X-Pro1

Old 11-04-2019   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Maslak View Post
I wonder if the advantages of the EVF on the XEs for manual focus matter as much as other suggest.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the X-E2 has the split image mode (where two images converge to show you reached focusing) that will be familiar to RF users... and also has better focus peaking (with 3 colors). So, really, it depends on what you want to accomplish. The EVF really lags in low light too on the X-E1... where it doesn't as much on the X-E2.

In regards to AF, I will add that the X-E2 also has phase detect AF. The X-E1 only has slower contrast detect.

Quote:
If you zone focus film rangefinders, you can just as easily do that with the X-Pro1 and the Nikkors so it may not make that much difference compared to the XE.
True, but with the 35mm and 50mm being 50 and 75mm equivalents, zone focus isn't going to be that easy.

Quote:
The XE-2s are small and a bit fiddly to handle, so the X-Pro1 would give a more rangefinder experience that Steve's looking for. I wouldn't discount it because of manual focus weaknesses.
I prefer the feel of the X-Pro as well, but the X-E series isn't that small and how fiddly can a camera with shutter speed dial and d-pad be? It isn't like it is Sony RX100 sized...it is Leica CL sized.

Old 11-04-2019   #19
Axel

If size matters...

X-E2 vs X-T10

X-E2 vs X-Pro1

X-E2 vs X-M1

Old 11-04-2019   #20
Ste_S

Thanks for all the replies folks, very helpful.

Out of interest, if I wasn’t going to be using adapted manual focus lenses, would people still recommend the X-E2 over the X-Pro 1 ?

Old 11-05-2019   #21
Axel

First of all the X-Pro is a different concept when it comes to size and optical viewfinder.
Image-wise I couldn´t discover much differences. If you prefer a quicker autofocus the X-E2
is a better bang for the buck. The X-E2 feels a bit more "snappy" regarding the handling.

Old 11-05-2019   #22
joe bosak

I can't speak for the xe2. I had an xe1 and xpro1. I got them originally for manual focus of legacy lenses. I found the xe1 especially bad for reasons others have given. But the xpro1 was also a struggle and quite frustrating - boils down to the fact that you can't focus legacy lenses with the OVF and the other options are horrible (EVF, LCD - I don't see the point of buying a camera like this and zone focusing).

I ended up buying 18 and 27 Fuji lenses, and at that point the xpro1 really shines using AF with the OVF . I didn't have an issue with focus speed or accuracy, with the latest firmware.

I think the main problem with the xpro1 is likely to be finding one that isn't well worn at this point.

If I was mainly into manual focus legacy lenses, I'd go for an xt of some sort (much bigger/better viewfinder) or an a7 (which is what I did).

If I wanted a cheap RF-like experience in digital, I'd go xpro1 if I could find a decent one, or xpro2. There's also the X100 series of course, but they don't scream rangefinder as much as the xpro1 does.

Old 11-05-2019   #23
jsrockit

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies folks, very helpful.

Out of interest, if I wasn’t going to be using adapted manual focus lenses, would people still recommend the X-E2 over the X-Pro 1 ?
It really depends on what you’re going to photograph and if the quicker autofocus of the X-E2 would benefit you. The X-Pro1 has a premium camera feel. It was $700 more new. I think I like the output from the X-Pro1 better too. The thing is that you can buy either one and if you don’t like it, sell it for the same price you bought it for.

Old 11-05-2019   #24
Dogman

If you were not going to use manual focus lenses, I would recommend the XPro1 but only if you can live with a fixed diopter. The viewfinder in the XP1 was the sore spot for me. My vision is pretty poor and I wear progressive lenses. With the XP1, I continually had to remember to find the "sweet spot" in my eyeglasses to see through the finder. Plus the "sweet spot" was different for the OVF and the EVF. Other than that, I have no problem recommending the XP1. I still use the XP1 occasionally but the XP2 was an improvement for me because it has an adjustable diopter.

Old 11-05-2019   #25
crsantin

People seem to forget about the XT-1. Superior viewfinder to the X-E2 and a better handling camera imo. Also some weather sealing and a very comfortable grip.

Old 11-05-2019   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsantin View Post
People seem to forget about the XT-1. Superior viewfinder to the X-E2 and a better handling camera imo. Also some weather sealing and a very comfortable grip.
Because the OP said he probably wants the rangefinder shape.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
^X-T2 is however the 24MP sensor.

I would also recommend the XE-2, it's the body I keep on coming back when I'm itching to shoot Fuji. XE-1 is good too for native Fuji lenses but EVF is not the best for manual focusing, do-able but not quick.

What about the X-T1?
I know.

The X-T1 has a slower in-camera CPU. This affects AF p[performance.

When you mention manual focus do you mean adapted lenses? I don't hav e any experience with this. I suspect the X-T2's improved EVF and more sophisticated AF would make a difference. The improvements in performance is well worth whatever concerns one may have about using 24 MP images.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 6 Days Ago   #28
goamules

After using an XE-1 with manual legacy lenses for about 6-7 years, a LOT, I just upgraded to an X-T2. I will finally buy a Fujinon autofocus lens with it. But I've done lots of focusing with the XE-1, you can learn it. I shoot some big lenses (Canon 1.2, etc) and big hoods. I figure they would intrude into the optical viewfinder, so went with the X-T2. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Old 6 Days Ago   #29
emayoh

Having owned X-Pro1 and X-E2 (and X-T2) I will say that X-Pro1 not having WiFi actually turned out to be a really big deal for me personally and led to me letting it go. If I were coming into the system new, this would be very important for someone to point out to me.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: I accept that not everyone cares about WiFI for posting photos on the go, so please don't excoriate me if this is not something you care about.

-Mick

Old 6 Days Ago   #30
jsrockit

I wonder what the OP ended up doing...