Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Refurbished M9 a la carte?
Old 08-06-2019   #1
jsrockit

Refurbished M9 a la carte?

Interesting...

https://www.slack.co.uk/m9-for-ccd-lovers.html

Old 08-06-2019   #2
giganova

Totally great!

Old 08-08-2019   #3
jsrockit

I thought more would be interested in this weird offer...

Old 08-08-2019   #4
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I thought more would be interested in this weird offer...

I can change the leather on any of my cameras for a total cost of $25, to any colour that I want.
Paying $3400 for a used camera that Leica no longer supports that frankly has had terrible reliability issues is pretty tough especially considering really nice used M240s are about $2500. Add $25 for leather colour of your choice.

Yeah, it's not a CCD M, but it is much more reliable, has a much better shutter, has a much more robust rf mechanism (my rf has never drifted on my M240, it did w regularity on my M-E) and has live view which I have found extremely useful in order to calibrate my lenses.

When Leica is now selling a new M-E for $3995, paying $3400 for a used camera with wear, umm no. "But it's been serivced by Leica!" Yeah, is that a selling point seeing the quality of product they have turned out?

Old 08-08-2019   #5
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

I can change the leather on any of my cameras for a total cost of $25, to any colour that I want.
Paying $3400 for a used camera that Leica no longer supports that frankly has had terrible reliability issues is pretty tough especially considering really nice used M240s are about $2500. Add $25 for leather colour of your choice.

Yeah, it's not a CCD M, but it is much more reliable, has a much better shutter, has a much more robust rf mechanism (my rf has never drifted on my M240, it did w regularity on my M-E) and has live view which I have found extremely useful in order to calibrate my lenses.

When Leica is now selling a new M-E for $3995, paying $3400 for a used camera with wear, umm no. "But it's been serivced by Leica!" Yeah, is that a selling point seeing the quality of product they have turned out?
Each and every rational point you make is spot-on but there's been much grumbling on sites like this about the absence of a "CCD look" nowadays.
For those dies-hards, this may be their last chance to feed that need.

Old 08-08-2019   #6
raid
Dad Photographer

I still am using mainly an M8 and and M9. If I change away from the M9 to some other camera, it will be most likely one of these: M10, M 240, or SL. Reason: predicted reliability. CMOS or CCD is not an issue for me. Work on improving my photography is more important.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-08-2019   #7
jsrockit

Quote:

I wouldn’t buy it either but I found it interesting. It doesn’t make me mad like it did to you. Haha.

Old 08-08-2019   #8
Out to Lunch

Well, it seems to be a better deal than what Leica offers as an alternative to upgrading a Leica M model from a sensor corroded model.

Old 08-08-2019   #9
Timmyjoe

I think it's pretty cool.

Best,
-Tim

Old 08-08-2019   #10
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I wouldn’t buy it either but I found it interesting. It doesn’t make me mad like it did to you. Haha.
I am NOT MAD!! AAAAARRGGGHHH!

lol

Old 08-08-2019   #11
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
Well, it seems to be a better deal than what Leica offers as an alternative to upgrading a Leica M model from a sensor corroded model.
Hmm..

Let's look at it another way. Leica's upgrade offer is currently $5200 to the M10 if you surrender your defective M9. The sensor replacement cost by itself is now $1600!!! So anyone who is looking at cheap M9s w/o the current sensor, they better be reaaaal cheap to make it worth your while.

But I digress... The new m10 is $7200. You can now buy used M10s for $4000-$4500 (how about that Leica holding it's value rep, eh?!). So you can buy a used M10 for $4500, and still have your M9 and $700 over. Take that $700 and put it to the replacement cost of the sensor. Therefore you will only be paying $900.

So if you do what Leica wants you to do, you will get an M10 for $5200 and they get to flip your old camera for $3400! Do the smart thing, sorta, and for $900 more you can have your M10 and repaired M9.

Ask yourself this, how on earth can it cost $1600 to replace the sensor? You can buy an entire brand spankin new Sony A7 with FF 24mp sensor for $800!! Or A7II for $1400!!

Do I have a point? No, cuz I can't stand the Sonys. No joy in using them at all.

And therein ends my rant.

Old 08-08-2019   #12
ZivcoPhoto

I have had my M9 for three years, paid $2,100 for it with 1767 actuations The corrosion only started appearing 5 or 6 months ago. Do I want to have a $3700 M9? I have an M8 and z-6. It would make about as much sense as someone getting one of these Leica refurbs for $3400.

Old 08-09-2019   #13
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

You can pick up M240's for less these days, and over all it's a far superior camera then M9 can ever be.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 08-09-2019   #14
k__43
Registered Film User

someone will end up with my old M9 in pink leatherette. What a sad thought.
That said .. I swapped it in for a 262 and couldn't be happier with the upgrade.

Old 08-09-2019   #15
Benjamin Marks

Quote:
Is this really true? I have been out of "the market" for a CMOS M, as my M9 trundles along, so I am really asking out of ignorance. But is the M10 shutter more reliable and have they cheaped out on the M9 RF? Seems odd on a $5,000 camera (in its day) . . .

Old 08-09-2019   #16
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Marks View Post
Is this really true? I have been out of "the market" for a CMOS M, as my M9 trundles along, so I am really asking out of ignorance. But is the M10 shutter more reliable and have they cheaped out on the M9 RF? Seems odd on a $5,000 camera (in its day) . . .
By much better shutter, I mean the action/feel of using it is so much nicer, smoother and crisper it is really surprising that the M9 shutter release made it to production. Outside my Zenits, I've never experienced a worse feeling shutter release.
The sound is also so much nicer on the M240 (and M10).
I don't know what Leica changed in the RF, but it has been rock solid on my M, while my M-E(M9) needed occasional adjustment. I've also been able to nail focus wide open all the time w little effort with my M, but it seemed much tougher with my M-E.

Just because Leica charge $5000+ (I think it was about $6000 for the M9, more for the M9P) doesn't mean they didnt cheap out. How do you explain that joke for an LCD screen they put on the camera, when you could buy a $300 camera at the same time that had a better screen?

Old 08-09-2019   #17
jsrockit

The M9 was $7000 when released. Unfortunately, I paid that price so I remember.

Old 08-10-2019   #18
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

So, this is where trade-in for corroded sensors is ended up.

And Huss, Leica does supoort M9 series. Cut the ...

Old 08-10-2019   #19
james.liam

Quote:
By much better shutter, I mean the action/feel of using it is so much nicer, smoother and crisper it is really surprising that the M9 shutter release made it to production. Outside my Zenits, I've never experienced a worse feeling shutter release.
The sound is also so much nicer on the M240 (and M10).
I don't know what Leica changed in the RF, but it has been rock solid on my M, while my M-E(M9) needed occasional adjustment. I've also been able to nail focus wide open all the time w little effort with my M, but it seemed much tougher with my M-E.

Just because Leica charge $5000+ (I think it was about $6000 for the M9, more for the M9P) doesn't mean they didnt cheap out. How do you explain that joke for an LCD screen they put on the camera, when you could buy a $300 camera at the same time that had a better screen?
Film Ms were made to endure for decades. These digital versions are made to endure until the next product cycle upgrade.

Old 08-10-2019   #20
Richard G

My M9-P is over 7 years old. Two sensor replacements for free. I love the colours. The shutter is not as nice as my Monochrom CCD. Love both cameras and no plans to upgrade. I would indeed be tempted to get one of these refurbished ones if anything happened to my current cameras.

Old 08-10-2019   #21
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
My M9-P is over 7 years old. Two sensor replacements for free. I love the colours. The shutter is not as nice as my Monochrom CCD. Love both cameras and no plans to upgrade. I would indeed be tempted to get one of these refurbished ones if anything happened to my current cameras.
They’ll be long sold out by the time than happens

Old 08-10-2019   #22
Out to Lunch

All things said, Leica continues to offer a free sensor replacement for corroded CCD rangefinders bought new within the past 5 years. Decent. In my opinion, their upgrade program -offered instead of the free sensor replacement, is not all that attractive price wise.

Old 08-10-2019   #23
ZivcoPhoto

I think I will be the owner of a $3700 M9. Reviewing the M10 features it doesn’t offer more features than the Nikon mirrorless cameras. In fact even less and I would have to see markedly better image quality for $5000. The z-6 provides awesome images with all of my Leica glass, as well as any other lenses I own - Leica R, m42 mount etc. When I wish to have the rangefinder experience I’ll grab my M8 or M9 with new sensor or one of my half dozen film Leicas.

Old 08-10-2019   #24
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
All things said, Leica continues to offer a free sensor replacement for corroded CCD rangefinders bought new within the past 5 years. Decent. In my opinion, their upgrade program -offered instead of the free sensor replacement, is not all that attractive price wise.
Four years, time goes on, sorry to remind.

Old 08-10-2019   #25
Richard G

My 2012 M9-P had a free new sensor 2014. And the Monochrom 2018 at 4 years, and 11 months. I would have paid for the final version corrosion-free sensor for the M9-P when subtle signs of that emerged but since it had needed replacement before, the further replacement was also free. Seven years of free servicing of two cameras. Not bad.

Old 08-10-2019   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

My M9 needed twice a sensor replacement by Leica with one repair costing $400 and one being free. The M8 had dead zones that needed repair on the sensor. This cost me $400, I think.

Old 08-10-2019   #27
dave lackey

Raid,

How have you been lately?

My apologies for being out of touch. I happened to see these refurbed M9s on another forum a week ago, and the choice of colors is amazing, and I think the offer is a good one!

Don't you need to buy one for each of your lovely daughters in their personal choice of colors?

Our oldest granddaughter just got a new Canon this past Christmas. I wish I could buy her a refurbed M9 with the purple leather! Maybe she would let me use it too.

Dave

Old 08-11-2019   #28
robert blu
quiet photographer

I have seen the photos of these refurbished cameras and they are nice, love the colors !

Of course they have to be mainly evaluated as tools and not so much for this aesthetic: in this respect I have to say I have seen many excellent photos taken with M9, so I assume they are ok, of course depending on the photographer's style and way to photograph.

Now the price...hmmm not sure what to think...

But it seems me an interesting idea from Leica...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-01-2019   #29
Archiver

I wonder how many more of these Leica can make from the M9 sensor trade-ins? It's likely that the spare top and bottom plates for M9-P upgrades and repairs are being used for these cameras.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
Burnze

I sent a message to the email address in the article a week ago but have not received a response. Has anyone had any luck purchasing one of the refurbished M9s?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnze View Post
I sent a message to the email address in the article a week ago but have not received a response. Has anyone had any luck purchasing one of the refurbished M9s?
Call the store in Wetzlar.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #32
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Current exchange rate brings these in at $3080.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

Most likely, Leica has sold out all refurbished M9 , M9P, and MM cameras by now. They will become "collector's items", some predict. If I did not have an M9, I may have thought about getting a refurbished M9P from Leica. It makes more sense maybe to get an M10 or an SL or an SL2. (or sigma?)

from online: https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...M9%20and%20M9p

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #34
kshapero
Growing with experience

I had an M9 and loved the results. Then I got an M262 and never could get comfortable with the images, so I sold it. Now what do I do?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #35
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I had an M9 and loved the results. Then I got an M262 and never could get comfortable with the images, so I sold it. Now what do I do?
Buy an M9. Or any film Leica.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

I would skip the M9 and get a used M10, if the budget allows it. Else, look for a M9 with a new sensor in it.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #37
jsrockit

Quote:
What's the last camera you were happy using (that you don't already have)? Buy that again...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #38
james.liam

Quote:
iPhone 11 Pro

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
Montag

Quote:
Build a time machine

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #40
Huss

It really doesn't seem that complicated. Well, unless you want to build a time machine.

Might I suggest converting a hot tub?