Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Oly OMD EM1x
Old 01-24-2019   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

Oly OMD EM1x

Anyone looking at the new EM1X?

I think it’s pretty cool they made a “pro” m4/3 body

The new buttons look like a real home run especially the bumpy ISO button.

I’m not in M4/3 anymore but it looks like a really cool offering for those that do!

Let’s talk about it!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 01-24-2019   #2
Huss

I thought the previous model was touted as a pro body? It was priced as such and was shown covered with water etc.
Is there a difference apart from revised ergos and more sealing? It's a very nice looking camera, as all OMDs are.

Old 01-24-2019   #3
B-9
Devin Bro

New Buttons and the Vertical Grip is permanent.

USB-C charging in body. Says 2 hours for two batteries.

Or on site charging with a USB-C Power bank.

Yeah apparently better sealing as well.

Old 01-24-2019   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

$3000 !?!? For a 20mp camera? No thanks.

Old 01-24-2019   #5
Huss

Nikon D500 has a larger sensor and is also weather sealed for $1800 vs $3000 for the Olympus.

Old 01-24-2019   #6
Photon42
burn the box

Looks like the antithesis of m43. I do like their smaller cameras and the more compact lenses. At this size and price point, it needs to be on par with Sony's A9 regarding CAF and focus tracking. For street it is too large, for landscape there are better offers.

Old 01-24-2019   #7
nickthetasmaniac

I'm really not the target market for the EM1X, but I'd love to see some of the tech (particularly the sealing) make it into a Pen F II.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 01-24-2019   #8
jsrockit

My nightmare...but this is the m43 equivalent of the Nikon D5.

Old 01-24-2019   #9
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Nikon D500 has a larger sensor and is also weather sealed for $1800 vs $3000 for the Olympus.
The Olympus stabilization system is outstanding. For run and gun video in particular

I would also add that I, and a few other working photogs I know, are really into the EVF.

Not creating sensor size rules but for some, full frame is not even near the top of the priority list.

Old 01-24-2019   #10
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
Looks like the antithesis of m43. I do like their smaller cameras and the more compact lenses. At this size and price point, it needs to be on par with Sony's A9 regarding CAF and focus tracking. For street it is too large, for landscape there are better offers.
The Olympus EM-1 series has been making converts in the PJ world.

Old 01-24-2019   #11
Archlich

Good camera addressing a very small niche.

Over.

Old 01-24-2019   #12
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
The Olympus stabilization system is outstanding. For run and gun video in particular

I would also add that I, and a few other working photogs I know, are really into the EVF.

Not creating sensor size rules but for some, full frame is not even near the top of the priority list.
Not arguing your points. But the price!!! $3000. D500 is almost half of
that. I have an OMD em10mk 2 and really like it for the size and what I paid for it. So I appreciate m43. But $3000? Thats pretty much the price of the Nikon Z7 full frame 47mp mirrorless. Which has incredible weather sealing (see the lensrentals strip down) and is smaller!

Old 01-24-2019   #13
jsrockit

But Huss, those who will buy this Olympus are going to buy it for what it offers over a regular mirrorless camera. Surely you can see a few unique specs in the camera? They might not matter to you or me, but obviously Olympus made this with someone in mind.

Old 01-24-2019   #14
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
But Huss, those who will buy this Olympus are going to buy it for what it offers over a regular mirrorless camera. Surely you can see a few unique specs in the camera? They might not matter to you or me, but obviously Olympus made this with someone in mind.
I kinda don't.. The EVF has been made bigger by optical magnification, w/o any actual change to the resolution. So it is not class leading. The sensor has not been improved, so it does not compare to an APS-C let alone full frame.
And the FF comparison now is real seeing that it costs as much as them, and is the same size or bigger than them.

Maybe its really good for movies? I think the reality is that Olympus' unit sales are so small now the only way they have a hope of making money is by selling very expensive cameras.

I really really like my OMD EM10mkii, because it is tiny (the point of M43), cheap, has cracker lenses, is fun to use, and weighs nothing.

Old 01-24-2019   #15
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
I kinda don't.. The EVF has been made bigger by optical magnification, w/o any actual change to the resolution. So it is not class leading. The sensor has not been improved, so it does not compare to an APS-C let alone full frame.
And the FF comparison now is real seeing that it costs as much as them, and is the same size or bigger than them.

Maybe its really good for movies? I think the reality is that Olympus' unit sales are so small now the only way they have a hope of making money is by selling very expensive cameras.

I really really like my OMD EM10mkii, because it is tiny (the point of M43), cheap, has cracker lenses, is fun to use, and weighs nothing.
I agree with you, Huss. I can't imagine spending that kind of money for Micro 4/3, and I say that as a lifelong Olympus user who uses M4/3 for almost all of his current work.

I have the Pen-F. Aside from needing weather-sealing, the Pen-F is perfect for M4/3. It is tiny, light, wasn't terribly expensive, has good image quality (though fullframe IS better), and has great lenses. I wouldn't mind having the OMD-EM1 mkII, as it has weather sealing and isnt terribly big. Can't afford it, though, and this new one is simply beyond hope for me financially. If I had the money, I'd buy the new Nikon 40mp fullframe mirrorless.

Old 01-25-2019   #16
fireblade
Vincenzo.

In Australia the new Oly is $4499.
The new Canon mirrorless FF is $2925
The Nikon Z6 is $3400.

Sorry Olympus, but no thanks.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-25-2019   #17
emraphoto

Quote:
Not arguing your points. But the price!!! $3000. D500 is almost half of
that. I have an OMD em10mk 2 and really like it for the size and what I paid for it. So I appreciate m43. But $3000? Thats pretty much the price of the Nikon Z7 full frame 47mp mirrorless. Which has incredible weather sealing (see the lensrentals strip down) and is smaller!
Absolutely agree. I jumped off the ridiculously expensive camera train long ago. It is a CRAZY price and i cannot wrap my brain around spending that sort of dough on any camera unless one is working on it daily.

Truth be told, I would probably buy the em10 mkii, a pocketful of batteries and call it a day.

Old 01-25-2019   #18
jarski

Olympus is probably under the pressure of delivering bigger sensor system to complement their lineup. Its hard to imagine them staying in m43 only. Speaking of which, where's Pentax?

Old 01-25-2019   #19
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
In Australia the new Oly is $4499.
The new Canon mirrorless FF is $2925
The Nikon Z6 is $3400.

Sorry Olympus, but no thanks.
I actually feel a little sorry for Olympus at this point. This thing doesn't even have a top LCD - just a sad looking little space where one should have been. I understand the small/high quality long zooms are a big pull for the system as far as size goes, but for sports and wildlife stuff you need good quality high ISO performance, and looking at the samples dpreview put out it's several magnitudes worse than the current crop of FF mirrorless in that regard.

Hell, you can get a gfx50R medium format digital for only a few K more...

Old 01-25-2019   #20
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
The Olympus EM-1 series has been making converts in the PJ world.
Fair enough. And I also know at least one Photographer in person using Olympus m43 cameras for weddings. If one uses the EM1 with grip anyway, which I am sure PJs and wedding photographers would probably do, the size isn't really that different at all.

Seems it could has its use if it can do really fast AF, specifically for Sports. I am just not sure it up there with the A9. That would be a really useful difference to the last gen m43 cameras from Olympus.

I am not doing either Sports or PJ, so my old EM1.1 is still fine.

Old 01-25-2019   #21
kshapero
Growing with experience

Just got a Nikon D7500 to compensate for my new bad left eye. The Image quality is insanely good up to way higher ISO that I would ever use. Got a Nikon Refurb at about $950!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-25-2019   #22
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
Fair enough. And I also know at least one Photographer in person using Olympus m43 cameras for weddings. If one uses the EM1 with grip anyway, which I am sure PJs and wedding photographers would probably do, the size isn't really that different at all.

Seems it could has its use if it can do really fast AF, specifically for Sports. I am just not sure it up there with the A9. That would be a really useful difference to the last gen m43 cameras from Olympus.

I am not doing either Sports or PJ, so my old EM1.1 is still fine.
Well i don't do much in the way of sports but my 2 or 3 generations old cameras seem to do just fine for PJ work. I really like the Sony cameras on paper. Sadly I have had nothing but trouble with any of the Sony's I have tried. Which is too bad as the RX100 series would suit me fine. Pack my whole kit in my pants.pocket? Yes please!

Old 01-25-2019   #23
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

What sort of price tag would make this a great camera to own?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 01-25-2019   #24
zuiko85

I would think much of the advantage of a 4:3 sensor would be negated by making the camera larger. Don't suppose it matters much though. What good is a small light body when these new super duper lenses all have to be f1.4 (at least) monsters, the size of a pop can and element/group counts that are higher than zoom lenses used to be a few years ago.

Old 01-25-2019   #25
Dogman

I haven't really looked closely at this camera but the size and price were enough for me to be a bit bewildered by it. It just seems so uncharacteristic of Olympus camera's original purpose.

By digital standards, I have a fairly long history with Olympus. I used their DSLR 4/3 system as a smaller travel alternative to Canons and I adopted the micro 4/3 system early on with the E-P1 and the Panasonic G1. I still have a first incarnation OMD E-M1, mainly to use lenses adapted from the old 4/3 system and the very nice 15mm and 25mm Panasonic-Leica primes. Micro 4/3 had a lot going for it at inception--smaller bodies, smaller lenses and excellent image quality despite the smaller sensor. But even my E-M1 is about the same size as my Fuji X-T1 and this new camera is humongous by M4/3 standards. And three grand? That's just plain out there.

But Olympus thinks there's a market for it so best of luck with that.

Old 01-25-2019   #26
Faintandfuzzy

It's the answer to the question no one was asking.

Old 01-25-2019   #27
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
That's an interesting question. It would be a tough sell for me at over $3,000 even if I was invested in Oly lenses. Primarily because redundancy is high on my priority list. $6,000 plus for 2 bodies doesn't make sense for me as I have been working on much, much cheaper cameras for over a decade. I have never had work turned down on account of sensor size, DOF or any other issue related to the full frame narrative. The 'weather sealed' angle is also not a big selling point as most of the cameras i have used have performed very well in arguably very tough environments. 100% humidity for weeks on end, desert, combat and so forth. The Sony's being the exception to the rule.

I am fine with compacts of the sub $1,000 range and most likely will continue to be.

This is what works for ME mind you. Others may have different requirements and preferences. The Oly would have to be sub $2,000 for me to even consider it.

Doing a bit of reading I noticed the Oly, with 24-70'ish fast zoom, is significantly lighter than a D5 (or similar) and 24-70'ish. If every corner of your bag is spoken for, and you are carrying your gear everywhere you go for weeks on end. That difference will influence the decision eventually.

Old 01-25-2019   #28
Huss

Quote:
When a Nikon D750 w far superior image quality is $1800, the Olympus has
to be cheaper than that. and then make its argument w better build etc as the trade off.

Old 01-25-2019   #29
Huss

Thought.. is this EM1X Olympus’ equivalent to the Leica M5?

Old 01-25-2019   #30
Gregm61

There are a lot of clueless people talking about Micro Four-thirds these days....

Old 01-25-2019   #31
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
There are a lot of clueless people talking about Micro Four-thirds these days....
Care to elaborate?

Old 01-25-2019   #32
B-9
Devin Bro

I think it’s unfair to compare to a Nikon FX camera although the Z arguement seems valid.

3k$ is a steep price I agree.

But I’m sure those Endorsed Olympus Photographers will love to have it in their kit as well as considering the price a moot point for a money making tool.

Still, It is a unique offering! The First Mirrorless body with built in vertical grip.

Old 01-25-2019   #33
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
It's the answer to the question no one was asking.
I don’t think there is a price that would make it a great camera to own. If we reframe the question into a “money is no object” type question, I doubt many would choose this over one of their smaller offerings or a D500 for example?
If money is an object, you can get an EM10 AND a D500 for the same cost.
Anyway, what do I know, they seem to know what they’re doing. Maybe.

Old 01-25-2019   #34
ptpdprinter

Presumably Olympus did market research before they gave the go-ahead to manufacture. I am sure they will sell a few of these cameras. Some will want to have the new EM1X just because.

Old 01-25-2019   #35
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
There are also folks who make their paycheque with cameras, talking about 4/3. In this thread actually.

Old 01-25-2019   #36
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I don’t think there is a price that would make it a great camera to own. If we reframe the question into a “money is no object” type question, I doubt many would choose this over one of their smaller offerings or a D500 for example?
If money is an object, you can get an EM10 AND a D500 for the same cost.
Anyway, what do I know, they seem to know what they’re doing. Maybe.
One would think they know what they are doing.

But... Your sugestion of D500 AND EM10 is pretty hard to ignore.

Old 01-25-2019   #37
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
I think it’s unfair to compare to a Nikon FX camera ... .
Well if what you care is about the final image, not really. And the $1200 price difference. Ouch.

Old 01-25-2019   #38
jsrockit

I think some of these features are being overlooked...

Hand-held high-res shot mode
Up to 60 fps Raw + JPEG capture (up to 18 fps with autofocus)
Pro Capture mode records frames before you hit the shutter
Up 7.5EV of image stabilization with supported lenses
Dual BLH-1 batteries giving 870 shots per charge (CIPA)
UHD 4K/30p video and DCI 24p at up to 237Mbps
Extensive, IPX1-rated weather sealing

Sure, I`m not into either.... but surely, someone out there is paying the $3000 because it offers something the other $3000 cameras do not.

Old 01-25-2019   #39
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Pro Capture mode records frames before you hit the shutter
What? It is telepathic?

Old 01-25-2019   #40
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
What? It is telepathic?
The OMD-EM1 mkII has the same feature. It isn't telepathic; you have to have your finger on the shutter button, either from having autofocused and keeping your finger on it to lock focus, or from using continuous AF. I think in that mode, it constantly takes pictures while you have the button partly pressed and saves some of them from before you push the button the rest of the way.