Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 10-01-2019   #41
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
No it isn't. People have been shooting concert photography for years before the advent of digital.
I did back in the seventies but I have to say it was hard work and the results (at least my results) were pretty bad.
No point in going down that road today for me at least.

Without being disrespectful I`m surprised that threads like this are still running in 2019.
I still use both and I still see other people using both.

We`re all trying to capture something in a way that is most pleasurable to us.

The fact that we each chose to do that in a different way doesn`t seem of itself to be remarkable.

Old 10-02-2019   #42
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post

The fact that we each chose to do that in a different way doesn`t seem of itself to be remarkable.
Well said.

In London twice in the last fortnight I've seen people using Nikon F2s for street photography and had a coffee shop barista (it always seems to be them) compliment me on my Leicaflex and say he uses a Nikon F. Meanwhile, all around, are people taking photos on their phones etc, or Fujifilm digital or big Canons.

All grist to the mill.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 10-02-2019   #43
maigo

Walking in downtown Vancouver in late August I spotted a fellow beside me at the corner of Granville and Georgia. He had a M2 with, IIRC, aBiogon 35mm.
I had my FM2 with 28/2.8 and Gordy's strap.
Nice Leica I said.
Nice Gordy's strap he said.
The light changed and we walked.
He took a shot of the pedestrians advancing towards us in the slanted late afternoon light.
I held my young son's hand and walked onwards to the Skytrain station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-02-2019   #44
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
I still use both and I still see other people using both.

I use both. Film for specific projects or for the pleasure to use it. Digital for the convenience. As I said in another thread I even mix them!

Having said this I do not see many film users around...but in Italy we are always a little bit late with the "new things"

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 10-02-2019   #45
Kent
Finally at home...

I hope that film is coming back big time. I still have some really nice film cameras to sell.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

1980's Concert Photography - Film, Handheld (Berklee Performance Center)
Old 10-02-2019   #46
raydm6

1980's Concert Photography - Film, Handheld (Berklee Performance Center)

Joe Zawinal, Wayne Shorter, Jaco Pastorious - Weather Report by rdc154, on Flickr

Wayne Shorter, Jaco Pastorious - Weather Report by rdc154, on Flickr

Joe Zawinal - Weather Report by rdc154, on Flickr

Jaco Pastorious - Weather Report by rdc154, on Flickr

Jaco Pastorious - Weather Report
by rdc154, on Flickr

Old 10-02-2019   #47
raydm6

I was free to walk around and obtain these different angles. I was just in the audience but back then, not with professional credentials. This was allowed . I was careful not to block people's view.

Old 10-02-2019   #48
Out to Lunch

Not sure where this thread is heading...

Old 10-02-2019   #49
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
Not sure where this thread is heading...
Nowhere interesting.

Old 10-02-2019   #50
Ambro51

Processing. The Weak Point. Sure, cameras abound, film can be easily had.....but the processing (accessible to grandmas and tourists) is tough to find. In my little home town (pop 4500), years ago...you could drop film off at any of the following: two grocery stores, two drug stores, the 5&10, , Reesers hobby shop and a wall mart a few miles away. Plus, film mailers were available easily as well. Today, an inept Walgreens stumbles forward with $15 per roll of 35.

Old 10-02-2019   #51
goamules

I was in the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride and took my M3. The official photographer was a guy in his 50s, shooting a giant Nikon DSLR. After the group shot, he came to me and said, "everyone is oogling the old motorcycles, I am oogling your old camera." Had several others come up to me and ask "is that a film camera" which led to "I have a bunch at home I'm looking to sell..." That's how I get my cameras and lenses actually. Few older people seem willing to go back to film. Young willing to try it.

Old 10-02-2019   #52
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
I was in the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride and took my M3. The official photographer was a guy in his 50s, shooting a giant Nikon DSLR. After the group shot, he came to me and said, "everyone is oogling the old motorcycles, I am oogling your old camera." Had several others come up to me and ask "is that a film camera" which led to "I have a bunch at home I'm looking to sell..." That's how I get my cameras and lenses actually. Few older people seem willing to go back to film. Young willing to try it.
That really has been my experience. Just wandering around with a Rolleiflex or a Leica at old car events I have been offered three dark rooms, several cameras and much reminiscing.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 10-02-2019   #53
Michael Markey

Early `70`s with a Chinon slr and 135/2.8 HP5 .
Scanned from prints made at the time ….

Old 10-02-2019   #54
stompyq

I happily use both on a regular basis. My daily driver is a Fuji X100F and a Leica M4 with a 21mm SA. No one seems to notice me with this setup. Substitute the Leica with a Rolleiflex and everyone notices me.

Old 10-02-2019   #55
IIIg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
By the way, while film might "be back", apparently the camera store is not (based on many of the replies found in another recent thread around here). Interesting times.
I'm in Zagreb right now.

I walked past the "Foto Studio Central" on Ilica this morning. They offered a pretty decent selection of film. The place resembled the US camera stores of my younger days with lots of film on shelves behind the cash register.

Old 10-02-2019   #56
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Nowhere interesting.
I find the concert film shots being posted very interesting. Most of them are a very cool trip (!) down memory lane.

Old 10-02-2019   #57
CharlesDAMorgan

That's superb Ted!

Old 10-02-2019   #58
CharlesDAMorgan

Ok!

A pro friend used to shoot concerts with film and got similar results. It can be done.

Old 10-02-2019   #59
Deardorff38

CharlesDAMorgan "A pro friend used to shoot concerts with film and got similar results. It can be done."

It has been done! There was a lot of great photography under difficult conditions before the advent of digital photography circa mid 1980s....
I guess Jim Marshall never got the memo that it wasn't possible....

4bfbd93d82f9c7e8c3f5e2b8f0667b9a by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]//url], on Flickr .... Jim Marshall M4

Old 10-02-2019   #60
raydm6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
"A pro friend used to shoot concerts with film and got similar results. It can be done."

It has been done! There was a lot of great photography under difficult conditions before the advent of digital photography circa mid 1980s....
I know; not sure why this is such a mystery especially on this forum.

Old 10-02-2019   #61
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

It's good to see renewed interest in film and it's good to see old cameras being used again, rather than sitting idle or being thrown away.

I love film and film cameras, but also use digital in situations where I feel it's a more suitable choice.

Anyway, I am both perplexed and possibly envious that other people here report the comments they receive about their cameras. Since the early 1990's I, too, would shoot motorsports at Portland and Seattle raceways (PIR, SIR), both in film and digital, and not get a single comment about my cameras. Whether I'm walking around in town, tourist spots, anywhere, medium format (Hasselblad, RB67, Rolleiflex), or 35mm (Nikon, Canon Leica, Exakta, anything...), nobody deems it worthy of comment. Only Polaroid has elicited surprise: once by a lady I was with who was embarrassed that I had an SX-70 with me and once by a lady at the Festival of Cars (Bend, Ore.) who commented to her husband that I still had film for "that old Polaroid".

Old 10-02-2019   #62
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
For me, that's the whole appeal of film: that making the great shot is more difficult, challenging, and requires skill. With today's digital cameras you can just up the ISO to 12800 or higher and take low light shots with ease. Sorry, I dont see the point. You're just a button pusher at this point then.
I get what you mean, but the choices of composition and content are still there... what to shoot and in which way. Unless you think how you frame an image doesn't matter... to me, how you choose to frame an image is the essence of photography, not how slow of a shutter speed you can handhold. If only holding a slow shutter speed handheld makes a photo good, then one might as well be shooting guns.

Old 10-02-2019   #63
Michael Markey

Quote:
CharlesDAMorgan "A pro friend used to shoot concerts with film and got similar results. It can be done."

I guess Jim Marshall never got the memo that it wasn't possible....
I`ve been following Jim Marshalls work since 1969.
One of my all time favourite photographers .
Amelia Davies is doing a great job today promoting his work with new books and exhibitions.
Yes it certainly can be done but more often than not it`s beyond my pay grade.
I wish it wasn`t .
In that respect digital is much easier .

Old 10-02-2019   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
And as we have seen above, it can be done and done well with film.
I can agree with that... it was silly to think it couldn't be done. My point is that just because you can use ISO 6400 these days doesn't make a good photography bad. You could jack up Tri-X to 1600 or use Ilford 3200 in the past too.

Old 10-02-2019   #65
raydm6

Those stage & follow spot lights can be bright so picking the right moment to 'click' certainly helps.

Old 10-02-2019   #66
Smaug

The point about digital being The Choice for low light is fair. While it CAN be done well with film, the cost of the ones that are not keepers are high for non-pros.

Pros these days wouldn't even think about shooting a low light concert with film, unless they were going for some kind of niche angle.

Adams shot landscapes in B&W with an 8x10 view camera because those were the limitations of his day. You can bet if he were born more recently, he'd have shot digital, maybe medium format digital.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 10-02-2019   #67
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
The point about digital being The Choice for low light is fair. While it CAN be done well with film, the cost of the ones that are not keepers are high for non-pros.

Pros these days wouldn't even think about shooting a low light concert with film, unless they were going for some kind of niche angle.

Adams shot landscapes in B&W with an 8x10 view camera because those were the limitations of his day. You can bet if he were born more recently, he'd have shot digital, maybe medium format digital.
Boy’o’boy
Never heard of Paris by Night? Brassai. This about your AA passage.

And what amount of keepers have to do with film and low light?
Take a measure and expose. I have done it. Under low light.

Those “digital rules” passages seems to come from those who didn’t learned film enough, yet. Sorry.

Old 10-02-2019   #68
jawarden

Quote:
Fair points about digital and low light if iso3200 is insufficient to capture skin tones, but if that's the case the lighting kind of sucks anyway so your task is doubly difficult regardless of how you capture the image.

As for cost of non-keepers, meh, who cares. This is art.

If I had to photograph performers on stage frequently I'd probably use digital for convenience. Thankfully I don't.

Quote:
Predicting how dead photographers would work today if they were only alive strikes me as kind of silly. Maybe Adams would be a pianist instead, or a painter. He lived in California; maybe he would have been a skateboarder, YouTube "influencer" or some other thing. What if Adams was born in 2007?

Old 10-02-2019   #69
Deardorff38

jawarden "Maybe Adams would be a pianist instead, or a painter. He lived in California"

Well he was an accomplished pianist. & BTW Smaug.... A Adams did use medium format... Hasselblad Here's an example: http://anseladams.com/portfolio/3012/

Old 10-02-2019   #70
jawarden

Quote:

Well he was an accomplished pianist.
Yes, that's why I mentioned it. :-)

Old 10-02-2019   #71
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
Yes, that's why I mentioned it. :-)
Ah... gotcha now.

Old 10-02-2019   #72
Guth
Observational Documenter

What I found notable about the original post was that the person commenting on the use of film / film cameras was a casual bystander so to speak. When someone that is not heavily involved with photography takes notice of such things it represents a different sort of awareness.

As has been pointed out already in this thread, film has never disappeared. But I imagine that there are a large number of people in this world that feel this is the case. So when some of those people see enough photographers using film cameras that they take notice then I do find this interesting.

My level of photographic activity is actually quite low. Not that I am proud of admitting this here on this forum but I can be seen walking around with my film camera very infrequently. Yet even I have received numerous comments and questions from a surprising number of strangers about my camera and the use of film. That is what I thought this thread started out examining — the public’s perception of film photography as it stands today.

Old 10-02-2019   #73
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
... What if Adams was born in 2007?
then iPhone.

The youngest "next AA" is probably on Instagram today.

A stranger told me film is back..
Old 10-02-2019   #74
Pashmo

A stranger told me film is back..

I have each foot firmly in both camps. I shoot digital for 'work' work (commercial interiors mostly) and shoot exclusively film for my personal work and my own pleasure.

I do occasionally whip (haul) my Pentax 67 w/ 75/4.5 shift out on a commercial job and I would like to shoot it more but the bottom line doesn't really support this.

One thing that has become apparent since selling my Mamiya 7II way back in 2003 to fund a Canon 10D and a slew of lenses is that digital has, for me, become synonymous with work. And that's the reason I like film so much (amongst many other reasons not for this thread).

If I retired tomorrow I would sell all my digital cameras in a heartbeat. I'm lucky enough to have a darkroom too so producing photos without involving a computer is pure bliss.

I've shot film consistently since I was 16, even through my early adoption of digital for work, and I'm 46 now. I still get as excited when I step into my darkroom now as I did when clambering up the ladders into my first darkroom in my parents attic.

For me film hasn't come back because it never went away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-02-2019   #75
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
then iPhone.

The youngest "next AA" is probably on Instagram today.
I highly doubt it... AA was super technical.... the iPhone would not have been enough for him. He'd be super into high resolution cameras and tons of software!

Old 10-02-2019   #76
Huss

The great thing about using an iphone at a concert is anyone can do it. No skill needed.

And that is exactly why film is coming back, and why strangers come up to me to tell me about it.

Old 10-02-2019   #77
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I highly doubt it... AA was super technical.... the iPhone would not have been enough for him. He'd be super into high resolution cameras and tons of software!
Over processed HDR would have been his norm.

Old 10-02-2019   #78
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Boy’o’boy
Never heard of Paris by Night? Brassai. This about your AA passage.

And what amount of keepers have to do with film and low light?
Take a measure and expose. I have done it. Under low light.
It's quite a bit more difficult with a moving subject.

Quote:
Those “digital rules” passages seems to come from those who didn’t learned film enough, yet. Sorry.
No, I've done it, and it CAN Be done. But Digital is pretty clearly easier to get good results. No matter WHO you are or how experienced you are.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 10-02-2019   #79
Smaug

Quote:
Predicting how dead photographers would work today if they were only alive strikes me as kind of silly. Maybe Adams would be a pianist instead, or a painter. He lived in California; maybe he would have been a skateboarder, YouTube "influencer" or some other thing. What if Adams was born in 2007?
Well, I'm going by this thought process. Correct me if I'm wrong:

1) In Adams' heyday, film and lens constraints meant that in order to make big sharp prints with a full tonal range, one needed a big negative. Ergo 8x10 and 5x7 view cameras with which he made most of his famous images. What was film speed? ASA 25? Tripos were strictly required for all serious images.

2) By 1960 or before (but not in his early days) medium format, while smaller than large format was to the point in film emulsions and lens quality that they could make decent enlargements and with good tonal range. The example above somewhat proves that.

3) These days, with 60 MP "full frame" sensors and our awesome glass and coatings, more is possible than was with 35 mm. Maybe it would even exceed medium format image quality from 1960... With digital medium format, and modern optics I bet it could easily match the image quality of a 5x7 view camera with 1960 optics and emulsions... Heck, he may not have even needed his woody wagon to carry bulky gear around.

Old 10-02-2019   #80
Smaug

By the way, some of those concert pix from back in the day posted above are not very good at all, by today's digital standards. With an entry level full frame SLR and a 85/1.8 lens, it would be very easy to beat them. They would look more like the Jimi Hendrix pic, except that it could also be in correct color and with less grain.