Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Help / Feedback forum

Help / Feedback forum This area should address site improvements and help with the forum.

Suggestion: Add 'Like' button to posts
Old 09-03-2019   #1
Smaug

Lightbulb Suggestion: Add 'Like' button to posts

This being a photography forum, I think it makes a lot of sense: Folks post pix. I hate to reply only to say "nice pic!" and make the threads more bloated than they need to be. I imagine people are getting updated just to see that post that is not useful to them.

It may also speed up the forum a bit, since there would be less server demand due to less page loads, etc.

I believe the forum software supports it and it's just a matter of the admin switching the feature on.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 09-03-2019   #2
FrozenInTime

Like ++

One click feedback sounds like a good idea, and will likely encouraging more image posting.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 09-03-2019   #3
kshapero
Growing with experience

I would like that like addition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-03-2019   #4
Michael Markey

I`ve often though we needed something like that. I think that the gallery has a Like button.

Old 09-03-2019   #5
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
Like ++

One click feedback sounds like a good idea, and will likely encouraging more image posting.

I concur. Bring on the likes!

Old 09-03-2019   #6
markjwyatt

Been thinking the same. Like

Old 09-03-2019   #7
traveler_101
American abroad

+1

really like the idea

Old 09-03-2019   #8
JoeLopez

There is a shift going on in social media to move away from simple likes.

https://medium.com/swlh/likes-on-soc...a-87bfff679602

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 09-03-2019   #9
Doug

Would we post in such a way as to evoke Likes? Would the possibility of Likes affect how we behave on the forum?

Old 09-03-2019   #10
oftheherd

I have thought of that from time to time. I guess I'm an of foggy, but I have concluded I am just as happy without it. If I feel strongly enough about it, I can make a comment and perhaps give a reason why I like the photo or comment, assuming we could do it on comments as well as posted photos. I think sometimes it creates thoughts that a feeling that if one wants 'likes' then one has to give many. That is assuming there would be an addition to our name area saying how many likes we have.

All that said, I guess if this board had it I would use it.

Old 09-03-2019   #11
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I don't like "Like".

It's too easy and lazy in my opinion. Let's not be like all the other sites.

All the best,
Mike

Old 09-03-2019   #12
CharlesDAMorgan

I agree Mike. It is a substitute for engagement.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 09-03-2019   #13
c.poulton

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjwyatt View Post
Been thinking the same. Like
Me too!

I've often thought about this, especially when 'liking' posted images

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 09-03-2019   #14
Archiver

There are sides for both, here.

There have been many, many times when I've wanted to Like a photo posted in the forum, but I've had to go to the flickr page to do it. But that means I can't show my appreciation for a picture that's posted directly into the forum, unless I copy that whole post and add a comment. There are also often posts which I think are great, but I don't have anything substantial to add, and I can't Like that post in to show my appreciation.

On the other hand, Likes might subtly change the way we interact on the forum. Studies are suggesting that chasing Likes can affect our mental and emotional health.

I'd be happy with a Like button, I'm just wary of how it might affect us in general.

Old 09-04-2019   #15
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
I don't like "Like".

It's too easy and lazy in my opinion. Let's not be like all the other sites.

All the best,
Mike
I agree 100%. If someone appreciates one of my post, words or photo I prefer to know why, what he likes in it, what does he see in my thoughts or my photos. It only takes a few seconds to write a line.

"Let's not be like all the other sites"

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-04-2019   #16
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Look at other photo sites and you see plenty of engagement, even though they have the like button. Sometimes a posting is really a nice summary of the issue being discussed or represents a perspective that many members adhere to. I mean it's a nice feature - not the end of the world that we don't have it here.

Old 09-04-2019   #17
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post

I strongly disagree. I find that there is much more engagement (in comments) on the Pentax Forums image threads than there is here, and they have had the 'likes' feature for years.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-04-2019   #18
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
I strongly disagree. I find that there is much more engagement (in comments) on the Pentax Forums image threads than there is here, and they have had the 'likes' feature for years.
I don't see the logic between a forum having the like feature and its members being active.

Old 09-04-2019   #19
Ste_S

Anyone who's used a platform that heavily uses likes (Instagram) wants to move away from them as they're ultimately meaningless.

Real engagement where you offer up comment is much more meaningful

Old 09-04-2019   #20
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
I don't see the logic between a forum having the like feature and its members being active.

Neither do I, but in the context of Mike and Charles' comments, it demonstrates that the 'like' feature is not being used as a substitute for engagement.

Old 09-04-2019   #21
Out to Lunch

No ''Like'' button on RFF please. Those who like to be ''liked'' can be ''liked'' on flickr, youtube, fb, instagram etc...

Old 09-04-2019   #22
Michael Markey

Can somebody describe the type and extent of the engagement they are hoping for please .
Most comments I`ve read a merely a long winded way of saying I like the picture.
I may be missing something here .

Old 09-04-2019   #23
kuuan
loves old lenses

I am split on this:

for once I very much appreciate feedback, and I am very happy if someone likes a photo of mine and tells me so. This specially and more so here than at any other place in the net that I am active in. This because the RFF for me is the site with the best photographers that I know of and I am active in, the best place where I can and do learn from feedback.

Which first makes me like "like buttons"..

but: it could, emphasis is on "could", make people lazy to add some more detailed, helpful comment and leave it at pressing the like button only.
I also imagine the opposite effect though: The like button encourages feedback, but any time one feels that the "like" isn't enough one even may feel encouraged to leave a more detailed critique or words of appreciation.

My suggestion therefore:
Make it a trial period of a fixed duration and have it announced and explained well ahead that after e.g. 2 months there will be a binding vote of all members if the like button shall be continued or again done away with.

Old 09-04-2019   #24
retinax

I don't like it. Photography should not be a competition, and likes for unknown reasons are meaningless. RFF is a flourishing little niche of the internet where we don't care much about what the internet mainstream does, and we have something for many different even more niche interests here. Why would we want a mechanism that encourages pleasing the largest number of people, drying out niches? It's against the spirit of this place.

Old 09-04-2019   #25
Larry Cloetta

I don't like the idea of making this place more like Facebook, but, given that it is me, that’s as predictable as I am. People do change their behavior, once you turn social arenas into Skinner boxes, and not in a good way. The worst consequence isn’t a like or two showing up at the bottom of one post; the worst are sites that list, next to your name the total number of “likes” you have managed to acquire. At which point the site becomes only a subconscious, semi-conscious popularity contest, with winners and losers. That should be obvious, and research has done more than “suggest” that the psychological effect is detrimental.

And, typing out “Nice shot, Mike” is a lot more personal than just hitting a button, it’s going to mean more to the recipient. Especially if his name is Mike. If a photo or written post isn’t worth even that much effort, well what does that say?

Besides, if there are 5 “likes” ascribed to a post, and the referenced photo seems charmless, pointless, and ill-considered, you’ll never know who the neanderthals (not saying anyone here, only over at DPR) were that liked it. If they had instead written out a response indicating that they loved the photo, then you would know who they are, information which will allow you to laugh to yourself if any of them later criticizes your ability, judgment, or
understanding of world history. Lots to think about, regarding this whole “likes” question!

Just seems like adding another layer of angst to me. Only five likes today! After so much work! Need more Prozac.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 09-04-2019   #26
css9450

I see an unfortunate trend towards abuse of the "Like" button on some other forums. Not necessarily photography forums, mind you. The posts which get the most "Likes" are the ones where the is a debate or an argument going on, and people anonymously (or not so anonymously) pick sides by "liking" whichever person's position they agree with. Which I think is usually not the purpose the forum owners had in mind by creating the "Like" button.

Old 09-04-2019   #27
Michael Markey

Yes … that makes sense Larry.
I`ve never read anything more into "likes" than …. someone likes it.
If people take that as a measure of worth based on the number they get I can see that as being detrimental.

Old 09-04-2019   #28
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
I don't like the idea of making this place more like Facebook, but, given that it is me, that’s as predictable as I am. People do change their behavior, once you turn social arenas into Skinner boxes, and not in a good way. The worst consequence isn’t a like or two showing up at the bottom of one post; the worst are sites that list, next to your name the total number of “likes” you have managed to acquire. At which point the site becomes only a subconscious, semi-conscious popularity contest, with winners and losers. That should be obvious, and research has done more than “suggest” that the psychological effect is detrimental.

And, typing out “Nice shot, Mike” is a lot more personal than just hitting a button, it’s going to mean more to the recipient. Especially if his name is Mike. If a photo or written post isn’t worth even that much effort, well what does that say?

Besides, if there are 5 “likes” ascribed to a post, and the referenced photo seems charmless, pointless, and ill-considered, you’ll never know who the neanderthals (not saying anyone here, only over at DPR) were that liked it. If they had instead written out a response indicating that they loved the photo, then you would know who they are, information which will allow you to laugh to yourself if any of them later criticizes your ability, judgment, or
understanding of world history. Lots to think about, regarding this whole “likes” question!

Just seems like adding another layer of angst to me. Only five likes today! After so much work! Need more Prozac.
Well said Larry, I fully agree, you explained in clear words what was my thinking, grazie!

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-04-2019   #29
shimokita
白黒

If I think about features I would want to see, a "Like" button is way down the list... How about image hosting as was discussed during the last planned upgrade... which sank into the ocean like Charles "Chucky" Signore.

Old 09-04-2019   #30
pyeh

Here's my Like for Larry's post.

Old 09-04-2019   #31
markjwyatt

How about a scale -5 to +5? Maybe for photos a few categories: composition, subject, tonality, overall impression, etc. For those who don't want criticism (positive or negative), maybe an opt out choice. Of course we are talking a lot of work. I agree with the point that "hey, that's nice Mike" is more personal, just do not see it too often (and I probably do not do it often enough). Maybe we are all too busy. Of course, it's not my site, and I like it regardless...

Old 09-04-2019   #32
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjwyatt View Post
I agree with the point that "hey, that's nice Mike" is more personal, just do not see it too often (and I probably do not do it often enough). Maybe we are all too busy.
That's my observation. There doesn't seem to be a lot of direct engagement as it is on the RFF image threads, with most people just posting an image of their own rather than responding to other's work (I'm guilty of this as well).

The quality of images shared here is very high, but engagement on those images tends to be pretty poor.

Old 09-04-2019   #33
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Would we post in such a way as to evoke Likes? Would the possibility of Likes affect how we behave on the forum?

Possibly ... but there is nothing wrong with affirmation. I'd be in favour of it and I'm actually a little surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

Old 09-04-2019   #34
Montag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Possibly ... but there is nothing wrong with affirmation. I'd be in favour of it and I'm actually a little surprised that it hasn't happened yet.
Isn't affirmation of one image rejection of another? It all seems pointlessly competitive or attention seeking or something to me. Enjoy images for the enjoyment, you don't need to say anything unless you feel compelled to.

I couldn't imagine a gallery with a like button under each exhibit.

Old 09-04-2019   #35
Mackinaw
Think Different

Virtually every other forum I'm on has a like button. They work great. Why not RFF?

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 09-04-2019   #36
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post

I couldn't imagine a gallery with a like button under each exhibit.
Don’t give people ideas.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 09-04-2019   #37
Montag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Don’t give people ideas.
LOL, as I typed it out I was wondering to myself if it's Marina Abramovic's next project.

Likes just strike me personally as robotic and vapid and automaton. The likes endure after the human race goes extinct, after the images have faded, we still have our likes he hee.

Old 09-04-2019   #38
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
Isn't affirmation of one image rejection of another? It all seems pointlessly competitive or attention seeking or something to me. Enjoy images for the enjoyment, you don't need to say anything unless you feel compelled to.
By that logic, if you comment positively on one image are you rejecting all the other images you don't comment on?

Likewise, you don't need to click 'like' unless you feel compelled to...

Of course it's attention seeking. Why on earth would you share images on a public forum if you didn't want to draw attention to them?

Old 09-04-2019   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Someone above suggested trialing it which makes sense to me. I'm surprised at the amount of people who think there is harm in it and see it as a negative ... probably large format shooters!

That last comment was a joke by the way

Old 09-04-2019   #40
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

If for whatever reason RFF decides to go the way of the “Like” I hope there's an option in the user control panel for individuals to remove the “Like” option from their profile. I’m not interested in giving or receiving anonymous feedback. Not that I think "Like" is much of a feedback.

All the best,
Mike