Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Old 03-23-2019   #161
ktmrider

Well, the country list is far from finalized or complete. I have been to Thailand half a dozen times, toured Cambodia with my daughter a few years ago, motorcycled through Laos on a Honda 250, took my daughter to Taiwan and Hong Kong two years ago at Xmas, and the only country on my list that I have not visited in SE Asia is Vietnam.

Overland from Singapore to Bangkok is something I have been wanting to do for years and India is also on my list (spent a month in Nepal and suspect it is similar). Funny but the only time I have ever had any type of traveler's stomach was not in Asia but in Guatemala after eating something from a sidewalk vender during Semana Santa.

After India I am giving serious thought to Israel and Jordan. I am not the slightest bit religious but just from a historical perspective Jerusalem is a must and Petra has fascinated me for years (INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, anyone).

And even though my daughter and I spent 90 days in Europe four years ago and my recent vacations have been to Scotland and England, there is a lot of Europe I have yet to visit, especially France, Germany, Austria and Netherlands. I think I may fly into Rome from Israel and use the trains to explore Europe. Florence was one of my favorite Italian cities on our trip four years ago.

I am trying to travel with just one carry on and a small camera bag. Since I will be starting the trip on the equator, I may have to purchase winter clothing in Europe since my rough schedule puts me there in December. I would rather do that then lug warm clothing through Asia and India.

I just received a 11.5" Lenovo for the trip on the recommendation of a friend who is a computer nerd. I also purchased a mint FujiX100F planning to use it as a backup. However, it is so good I may leave the MP240 at home.

I know from threads here that people debate carrying a $6000(or more) Leica on travel but I keep thinking why do I own it if I am not going to use it. Presently, I am thinking MP240 with 25/50/90 and the X100F. I have changed the lens combo to include a 50 vice a 35 since the X100F has that focal length covered. I have shot with the original X100 on several trips and loved it (size, freedom, IQ, and ease of use). Both the X100 and MP240 kit will fit in a Billingham Hadley Small and the Leica can always remain at the hotel but I would rather have it along then not. I plan on writing and photographing a blog as I move around the world. And it might contain some rather politically incorrect observations about current events.

Anyway, that is the evolving plan. Hope to leave the US in the last half of September for Japan and Asia. Keep the comments coming as I am sure there are things I am overlooking.

Old 03-23-2019   #162
markjwyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
...Oh yes..Brussels is good for 2 hours.
An hour to get in and an hour to get out. Stop in Turnhout, and go to In Den Spytighen Duvel for a beer or a few, Try Oud Beersel Oud Kriek (brewed in Brussels none the less), and any on of another couple of hundred. Say hi to whomever the current owner is (hope its still there, its been about 6 years since I visited).

Old 03-23-2019   #163
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjwyatt View Post
An hour to get in and an hour to get out. Stop in Turnhout, and go to In Den Spytighen Duvel for a beer or a few, Try Oud Beersel Oud Kriek (brewed in Brussels none the less), and any on of another couple of hundred. Say hi to whomever the current owner is (hope its still there, its been about 6 years since I visited).
That’s an excellent suggestion. I tend to go for the Leffe Blonde and will give Beersel Oud Kriek a taste on this trip. I work for a Dutch company so travel to Amsterdam regularly and then take local trips. And having heard Brussels mentioned so often in the news I decided to finally visit and was defeated by my own expectations. Antwerp is a more interesting city and of course Bruges and Ghent.

Old 03-23-2019   #164
jarski

Christmas time in Israel would be unforgettable experience! You could stay in Bethlehem (near Jerusalem) for eve. Jerusalem is good this time as well, for instance Via Dolorosa and Church of Holy Sepulchre (built on top of tomb cave and Golgatha). Wide angle would be nice for architecture shooting. Crowds will be big, but as its winter, queuing should not be too bad (I went there last summer).

Old 03-23-2019   #165
benlees

Sounds like Vietnam should be on your list. What about the western Silk road after India? A friend of mine did Kashgar, Samarkand, Tashkent, etc a few years a go. Said it was pretty amazing.

Old 03-23-2019   #166
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Overland from Singapore to Bangkok is something I have been wanting to do for years...
I'm probably biased (my wife is from Kuala Lumpur and her family are originally from a small Malaysian village near the Thai border) but I would highly recommend the Singapore - Bangkok route. If only so you can spend a whole bunch of time eating (Malaysian food is the best in the world ).

Malaysia is hugely underrated as a travel destination, and because it has never really been on the SE Asian backpacking route, travelling there is much less agressively commercial than more popular neighbouring countries.

Quote:
I know from threads here that people debate carrying a $6000(or more) Leica on travel but I keep thinking why do I own it if I am not going to use it.
As long as you have decent travel insurance what does it matter? If the camera is lost/stolen/broken just put in a claim and Bob's your uncle.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 03-23-2019   #167
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Well, the country list is far from finalized or complete. I have been to Thailand half a dozen times, toured Cambodia with my daughter a few years ago, motorcycled through Laos on a Honda 250, took my daughter to Taiwan and Hong Kong two years ago at Xmas, and the only country on my list that I have not visited in SE Asia is Vietnam.

Overland from Singapore to Bangkok is something I have been wanting to do for years and India is also on my list (spent a month in Nepal and suspect it is similar). Funny but the only time I have ever had any type of traveler's stomach was not in Asia but in Guatemala after eating something from a sidewalk vender during Semana Santa.

After India I am giving serious thought to Israel and Jordan. I am not the slightest bit religious but just from a historical perspective Jerusalem is a must and Petra has fascinated me for years (INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, anyone).

And even though my daughter and I spent 90 days in Europe four years ago and my recent vacations have been to Scotland and England, there is a lot of Europe I have yet to visit, especially France, Germany, Austria and Netherlands. I think I may fly into Rome from Israel and use the trains to explore Europe. Florence was one of my favorite Italian cities on our trip four years ago.

I am trying to travel with just one carry on and a small camera bag. Since I will be starting the trip on the equator, I may have to purchase winter clothing in Europe since my rough schedule puts me there in December. I would rather do that then lug warm clothing through Asia and India.

I just received a 11.5" Lenovo for the trip on the recommendation of a friend who is a computer nerd. I also purchased a mint FujiX100F planning to use it as a backup. However, it is so good I may leave the MP240 at home.

I know from threads here that people debate carrying a $6000(or more) Leica on travel but I keep thinking why do I own it if I am not going to use it. Presently, I am thinking MP240 with 25/50/90 and the X100F. I have changed the lens combo to include a 50 vice a 35 since the X100F has that focal length covered. I have shot with the original X100 on several trips and loved it (size, freedom, IQ, and ease of use). Both the X100 and MP240 kit will fit in a Billingham Hadley Small and the Leica can always remain at the hotel but I would rather have it along then not. I plan on writing and photographing a blog as I move around the world. And it might contain some rather politically incorrect observations about current events.

Anyway, that is the evolving plan. Hope to leave the US in the last half of September for Japan and Asia. Keep the comments coming as I am sure there are things I am overlooking.
when I read 4 to 6 months and all the countries you mentioned you consider to cover in that time my first though had been, I admit: "oh my, that will be a rushed journey where one only can scratch the surface of places, not even that, only rush through some tourist sites"

Now I read that you have been to many places in Asia already, and maybe it's just different styles anyway. Still, imo for India alone, in 4 to 6 months, one can only see that much. It's kind of a continent in itself, from highest, remote mountain peaks to desserts to sandy beaches, tribal areas, old and lost kingdoms asf. asf. I know the place just a bit, after touring it, total in my life, for some 5(+) years. There are quite a few places that are still on my list that I haven't seen yet, others that I'd want to go back, by now after years..
For only a rel. short visit I may be able to give some advice but first would need ask, what is that you would be looking for, what is it you wanted to see?

Japan is a most unique and beautiful country too!
So is Vietnam.

If you do make it to Austria, ktmrider, there is a Museum dedicated to KTM, the motorcycle manufacturer, due to open, if I understand right, in a few days or weeks, during this coming month April in the very place of it's original manufacturing, Mattighofen: http://www.hlw-architekten.at/projek...n-mattighofen/

personally I would not keep that 25mm home, or even substitute it with a 21mm. On my travels the majority of photos are taken with a Voigtlander Heliar 15mm on APS-C sensor, that is @ abt. 21.5mm equivalent. Your X100F sure is a great camera, again I would want it wider than 35mm, even over the Ricoh GR with 28mm, as a backup, I'd rather choose a Sony RX100iii or newer for it's nice 24-70mm zoom range and general versatility, EVF, tiltable LCD, builtin flash, smaller body size. That Lenovo you got is just about the kind of machine that I would have suggested, congrats!

Old 03-24-2019   #168
markjwyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
Thatís an excellent suggestion. I tend to go for the Leffe Blonde and will give Beersel Oud Kriek a taste on this trip. I work for a Dutch company so travel to Amsterdam regularly and then take local trips. And having heard Brussels mentioned so often in the news I decided to finally visit and was defeated by my own expectations. Antwerp is a more interesting city and of course Bruges and Ghent.
I will not put Leffe Blonde down (have had a few Leffe Brunes), but compared to what is available in Belgium and an dem Sphygten Duvel, Leffe Blonde is kind of like going to Milwaukee and ordering a Budweiser. But Leffe Blonde is definitely better than (American) Budweiser!

http://drinkbelgianbeer.com/cafes/be...rnhout-belgium

Cafe De Penge is also interesting. Marc has always been the owner as long as I went there (just a few times- then I lost track of it for a few trips until last trip (~ 6years ago) when I ran into it again. As for In den Shygten Duvel, Dirk was the owner last time I went. There was a couple of changes since the original owner left it as I recall (the articles says Dirk bought it in 2000, but that seems pretty early form my recollection). The article describes An den Sphygten Duvel to be "in the mournful devil", but the original owner told me it is an old Fleimish expression "to have pity on the devil", which is something people muttered under their breath in public to each other to indicate they went out and partied the night before or for similar purposes (kind of a code expression).

Old 03-24-2019   #169
jarski

Agreed whole half year could easily be spent in India alone, but perhaps limit the visit to some part of it, for example Rajasthan. Or, since op is retired, take a full year instead?

Old 03-24-2019   #170
ktmrider

Well, the schedule will only be finalized once I buy a RTW ticket as you must pick flights and dates and changing them can cost quite a bit. However, I have looked at pay as you go flights which offer much greater flexibility and I don't see the RTW ticket as saving much money compared to buying each leg separately.

Again, sometime this summer I will no longer have a house or any connection to El Paso. I am even thinking of using this trip for scouting an overseas location to live for a couple years.

Keep the comments coming.

Old 03-24-2019   #171
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Well, the schedule will only be finalized once I buy a RTW ticket as you must pick flights and dates and changing them can cost quite a bit. However, I have looked at pay as you go flights which offer much greater flexibility and I don't see the RTW ticket as saving much money compared to buying each leg separately.

Again, sometime this summer I will no longer have a house or any connection to El Paso. I am even thinking of using this trip for scouting an overseas location to live for a couple years.

Keep the comments coming.

This would not surprise me. I fly quite a bit around Asia, many budget airlines are operating and flight costs are low. E.g. right now from Bali I can take a flight to Kuala Lumpur, from there, if it was, to Yangon, and from there again to Ho Chi Minh City ( or from K.L. to HCMC straight just as well ) for in between 30 to 80 usd each ( depending on route and date ) or over to India for starting at 50 usd, more usually for around 100 usd

Old 03-26-2019   #172
ktmrider

Well, I have picked up a few cheap accessories (extra battery, screen protector, UV filter) for the X100F and I am stunned at the images from this little camera. Of course, I owned and loved the original X100 and used it as my only camera for several international trips.

So, the question now presents itself as wether to pack both the MP240 with 25/50/90 and the X100F or only take the X100F. I am of two minds as the MP240 offers focal length flexibility and perhaps more important is weather proof but is heavy and expensive. I traveled with the M9 a few years ago (90 days in Europe) and I do enjoy the Leica. Presently, I think I will take both. The good news is I packed all my clothes and electronics and I still have room in my carry on, perhaps my Barbour jacket for winter in Europe.

Old 03-26-2019   #173
Archiver

I'm a big fan of Hong Kong, although you did say you've already been there. For some reason, there's something about the visual texture of the streets and buildings in Hong Kong that absolutely fascinates me, and I love to shoot it.

Gear: yes yes yes take your M240. If you're concerned about theft, loss or damage, get the appropriate insurance. 25/50/90 sounds like a good combination. My Leica travel set is 21/35/50 because I love the context that 21mm brings, a fast 35 is my night lens, and the 50 is for environmental portraits and details. The GR III in your bag will be perfect for times when you don't want to have a larger camera visible, but you still want to take pictures.

Internal connecting flights might have more restrictions on what you can take and how much weight you can carry in the cabin, so look at being as minimal as possible in terms of clothes and everything. You've traveled extensively so you know about liquid restrictions, which would be my issue if traveling with only a carry on bag.

As a counterargument for 'take the M240', take a look at the photos made by Brian Kraft with the original Fuji X100. He's a wedding photographer with a really good eye for subject and composition. Everything here was taken with the X100, which shows how versatile this camera and focal length can be.

http://blog.briankraft.com/personal/...n-maui-hawaii/

The X100F and GR III would give you a lighter setup than the M240 plus three lenses for sure. You know what it's like to travel with just one lens, so these two cameras kind of give you the best of both worlds.

Old 03-31-2019   #174
ktmrider

So, I see B&H has both auxiliary lenses available (turns the 35 FOV into 28 and 50 equivalents) used for about $250 each for the X100F. New they are usually $349 each. Have read good reviews of both as the f2 maximum aperture stays the same. Each aux lens is fairly large (compared to the X100) but I would have 28/35/50 and using the built in jpeg telecomverter perhaps 100mm FOV.

I am wondering if anyone has used the X100 with the aux lenses and if they are worthwhile. I would definitely leave the MP240 at home but presently my instinct is to leave the X100F as small and simple as possible and use the MP240 with 24 when I need something wider then the 35 FOV on the X100F.

Comments?

Old 03-31-2019   #175
Huss

The whole point of acquiring Leicas is to use them on incredible trips, not leave them home. Otherwise, what's the point?

Old 04-01-2019   #176
ktmrider

Huss: I agree 90% of the time as I don't collect cameras (although there are a few in the cabinet I have not used in awhile). There is just a small part of me that says just take one and the lightest one at that, thus the X100F. But I have decided (at the moment) to keep the X100F as simple as possible thus I am passing on the auxiliary lenses.

And I can always leave either or both cameras in the hotel room for those times when I am not in the mood.

Old 04-01-2019   #177
oftheherd

When I go on trips and wish to keep small kit, I tend to take a 9x12 with 6x9 back, and a Welta Welti. Not too heavy (still recovering from bad back problem), yet I can expect good photos. I understand I am not giving good advice since you are in to digital. I may make that transition yet for a hoped for savings in weight.

But one piece of advise I think is useful for film or digital; a small light-weight tripod. You likely won't need it often, but like many tools, when you need one, substitutes may not serve as well. I used to carry a Velbron a lot. Aluminum-light and hard. But I never did need it for self defense.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos. If my wife and I get an improvement in our health, we might wish to take some Space-A or other inexpensive flights as well. Hope you enjoy as you apparently have in the past.

Old 04-01-2019   #178
DanskDynamit

no Africa? no Latin America?

Old 04-01-2019   #179
ktmrider

Well, I have been to Africa a few times as well as working out of Latin America and the Caribbean doing drug interdiction as a US Customs pilot. One of the purposes of this trip is to go to countries I have never been to before: Vietnam, Malaysia, India, Israel and Northern Europe.

And as far as aux lenses for the X100F I have noticed a disturbing habit on my part of getting a camera system and vowing to keep it light and simple and somehow I end up with a lot of gear. This has happened a couple times to me in the past. I would get some model of the Leica M and planning to just have the 35/90. Don't know how but presently I have seven M lenses. I want to keep the FujiX100F in its native form. Part of the appeal of the X100 is its size, its fixed focal length and its versatility. Adding more lenses defeats that and I own the MP240 for that roll. Presently, the MP240 will go along with 25, 50 and 90 focal lengths.

And Oftheherd: Not really into digital as half my Leica gear is an M5, have a mint Nikon F with 55 Micro Nikkor, and a MF around here somewhere and I am still taking lessons on how to use LR. However, for travel when I am trying to go super light with only a carry on and small camera bag for a six months, digital and technology offers distinct advantages.

Old 04-01-2019   #180
Archiver

If you've got the GR III coming, consider the upcoming 21mm adapter, assuming it comes before you leave. This, coupled with the GR III's in camera cropping, will give you the equivalent of 21, 28, 35 and 50 in a very small but high quality package. I use the 35 and 47mm crop in my GR quite a bit and it is fine. If you're after the smallest and lightest package, this is it.

Differently from other cameras, the cropped raw files are actually cropped, and not 'cropped' inside the metadata of the raw file, if that makes sense. With the Olympus #-M5, in-camera crops to 3:2 or 16:9 result in exactly the same raw file, but it contains metadata which the raw processor interprets as a crop. The Olympus full file can be retrieved if desired, but the GR produces a properly cropped raw file, instead.

Old 04-01-2019   #181
jarski

These might not be concern to everyone, but when traveling, am appreciating simplicity one brand of camera(s) give: colors in all shots are made with same (or very similar) processing, thus having same look (also with raw shots after camera profile has been applied). It also cancel the need for several sets of batteries and chargers = good thing

Old 04-02-2019   #182
michaelwj
----------------

Iíd only bother with the add on lenses for the x100 if they went wider (24mm at least) and longer (70mm at least). A 28mm and 50mm donít add enough to a small simple 35mm to bother IMO.
Ricoh has it sorted better, a 21mm adapter is a lot wider than 28mm.

Old 04-02-2019   #183
ktmrider

Well, I purchased the X100F as my backup to my MP240. I will not be getting a GR3 as I decided I wanted a viewfinder, 35 FOV and built in flash. I had owned the original X100 and loved it. My present thought is to keep the X100F small and uncluttered. I have a 25 Biogon which will be on the MP240 where needed.

Old 04-02-2019   #184
Ambro51

If you’d posed that question in the 1950’s, the resounding answer would be a Stereo Camera! And now today that’s Still an option. I’d suggest a TDC Colorist.

Old 04-03-2019   #185
ktmrider

I appreciate all the suggestions. I don't have to be back in six months or even a year. I have been looking at volunteer opportunities in Nepal, India, and Thailand for 3-6 months and may do something along those lines.

I know several people have suggested a 21. I have owned several but never really clicked with that focal length. In fact, my last one (21f4 Skopar) I gave to a new street photographer (an Army guy) who only had a 50 on an M3. He loves it. I really liked the 24 on my SLR so I believe the 25f2.8 Biogon should do great. Some reviews say it is the sharpest lens Zeiss makes for a Leica M mount.

I was out shooting with the X100F today and its capabilities are blowing me away. The auto focus and auto exposure are nice but the film simulations are absolutely AMAZING. I really like the Arcos and Classic Chrome. I paid $1000 used from B&H and what it really shows is how much we are willing to pay for having a Leica fetish.

Old 04-03-2019   #186
Archiver

Sounds like the X100F is going to do you just fine.

Old 04-03-2019   #187
jarski

Choose the volunteer work carefully (maybe some here know to recommend one?). Some volunteer organizers are just glorified tourist agencies, and volunteer pays at every turn during the exotic feelgood trip.

Old 04-27-2019   #188
ktmrider

Yes, I know about the "volunteer" organizations that charge a couple thousand dollars for room and board. I am looking at Habitat for Humanity which seems pretty legitimate.

My trip is shaping up with a departure toward the end of September. The first couple countries on the list are not places to visit during the summer if you have a choice. So here goes and if anyone has comments or things to do in each location, please put it here.

First, Tokyo and Kyoto Japan for 10-14 days followed by a week in Seoul. Then down to the Philippines for a month of scuba diving and exploring WWII historic locations. From the Philippines, it will be over to SE Asia traveling overland from Singapore to Thailand and then Vietnam or going to Vietnam and traveling in reverse order to Singapore. Next, I am thinking a month in India (and India is wide open for suggestions). So, I am not at all religious but the history of Jerusalem requires a visit and perhaps Petra. Then to Europe and train travel especially though western and northern Europe (France, Germany, Netherlands etc) coming back to the US about March of 2020.

I can linger or shorten any portion of the trip as I plan on buying the trip segments as I go. Buying a prepaid ticket is a bit cheaper but there are plenty of penalties if you change the dates or destinations. I still hope do the trip with one piece of carry on luggage.

Camera equipment is still up in the air. I fantasize about taking a Leica film camera but since I plan on doing a blog digital is just so much easier. Presently, a MP240 with 25/50/90 and a FujiX100F which will fit in a Hadley Small.

Old 04-27-2019   #189
ChipMcD

I have no experience in Asia at all. My experience in visiting many European cities is that you will want a 21mm, your 25mm or a 28mm. I usually shoot 90% of shots in cities with a 28mm. You will get use out of a 35 or 50mm too, but not as much as you will need the wider lenses. I have rarely used a telephoto in Europe, with the exception of a Danube cruise, where I got good use out of a 40-150mm Olympus zoom on a micro 4/3 camera shooting villages, castles and vinyards from the ship underway between cities. In the rare instances where you want a telephoto, a 90mm may not be long enough.

YMMV, but I am in the camp of "if you own the good stuff, use it." That having been said, Asia may be a different game than Europe. I never hesitated to take my Leica stuff to Europe and never had a problem.

I have lived and travelled widely in Germany. The Harz Mountain region is nice, if you have seen the main places in Germany. Also, consider Prague, which is about the most beautiful city I've seen. It has a great variety of architecture from the 14th century through Communism, great people, food, dink, etc.

You will have a blast, no matter where you go and what equipment you bring.

Philippines?
Old 05-17-2019   #190
ktmrider

Philippines?

I have a chance to go to the Philippines in July. Ten days will be devoted to diving but can add a week before and even a week after the trip. Someone mentioned diving with whale sharks and I think that is on the agenda.

I was in the Philippines a lot in the early 1980's while a pilot in the USMC and the carriers were docked in Subic Bay. Most memorable mission was helping move a village which was going to be inundated by a new flood control project. I got to carry a water buffalo in a sling under the CH46 about 15 miles over the jungle. I have often wonder what the water buffalo was thinking.

Anyway, am looking for places to visit and photograph. I know July is rainy season but may pick up a GOPRO 7 for diving and action video.

Old 05-17-2019   #191
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I spent a lot of time in the Philippines but most of my free time was spent in the pursuit of cold San Miguel beer and... other things.

However, I am impressed that you were a CH46 pilot. What a workhorse of a helicopter. One of my collateral duties when I was stationed on the USS Beaufort (ATS-2) was Helo Control Officer. The Beaufort was a very small ship and we did a lot of VERTREPS in the persian gulf. To make a long story short, those CH46 pilots were amazing! Our stern would be bouncing around pretty good but those pilots would hover their CH46 so low the cargo handlers on the flight deck could have reached up and shook hands with the helo crew members. Yes, very impressive.

Mike

Old 05-17-2019   #192
ktmrider

There are aerodynamic advantages to the tandem rotor design. The last Marine CH46 was put in the boneyard about three years ago. Now the only tandem helo still flying to my knowledge is the Army CH47 which is the Army's heavy lifter.

And yes I know all about SML's and "other things." When at Subic in the early 1980's, I was 30 years old, a bachelor, my roommate was our flight surgeon and everything could be cured with penicillin. I understand the airfield (Cubi Point) at the old Subic Bay Naval Station is now FedEx's air hub in Asia.

Old 05-17-2019   #193
ktmrider

Does anyone know how hard it is to get find film (color print) or get it developed in either Manilla or Cebu? I enjoy film but I have either a MP240 or X100f for ease of travel.

Old 05-17-2019   #194
Bill Clark

Isn’t a place I would return to and visit.

Old 05-17-2019   #195
jmarcus

Between 2009 and 2012 I spent a totally of probably about 2+ months in the Philippines. I don't think I would trust my film development there, and I would definitely get a lead bag because their airport baggage scanners are pretty old.
Outside of Manilla the food was horrible
Make sure you drink some Red Horse and not just San Mig.
I spent time in Dumaguete, can't recommend it. Cebu and Manilla were cool and there are lots of amazing small islands in which you can experiance some of the best scuba diving

Flickr
=======================

Old 05-17-2019   #196
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Was just swimming with those whale sharks 3 weeks ago . Absolutely spectacular, they're in Donsol . Water was barely 5 meters deep and it seemed all I could do to stay out of their way . Easy to keep up with if you rent flippers there. Would love to have had a go-pro with me. I think we we're extremely lucky that day as we saw 4 different ones in a couple of hours (they make it clear there are no guarantees of seeing them). Arrive early for best chances . Quite the country to get around. Peter

Old 05-17-2019   #197
bucs

I'm local. Will respond in a bit

July will be monsoon season. We've had a bit of rain as early as now but expecting the annual typhoons to come later.

Whale sharks: Strongly advise to avoid the whale shark watching in Oslob, Cebu because they engage in unsustainable practices. Donsol is better in that respect.

Film developing: local fujifilm outlet in Manila accepts color developing. I can send you addresses via pm. Black and white developing takes a while (3 to 5 days) and is serviced by independent labs. There's been a resurgence locally brought about by the young crowd.

For scuba diving, there's a ton of sites just a couple hours drive from Manila. Anilao, Batangas comes to mind.

Old 05-18-2019   #198
ktmrider

Bill Clark-one of my friends who retired as a colonel from the Marines met his wife at a bar in Olongopo. Been married over 30 years. Sometimes economic circumstances may force women into work they might otherwise choose to avoid. I will not throw stones at her or other "sex workers" I have met.

Moto Uno and Bucs-my friend suggested Donsol as he was diving with them in January.

And my last trip to PI was during the 2016 election. I watched the results from a beachfront resort in Subic and wondering what the hell happened. I managed to do some scuba diving in Subic-lots of wrecks. This trip I want to look at the Bataan Death March and Corrigidor..

I have another friend who was at Subic in 1991 following the eruption of Mt Pinatubo and I was curious as to how the base turned out. He told me he left and there was still a couple inches of volcanic ash on everything on the base as the US Navy turned it over to the Philippine government. Clark is being used as an international airfield but has very limited flights in and out. Flying into Manilla sucks due to ground traffic to get out of the city. As I stated earlier Cubi Point is now FedEx's Asia aviation hub. And JEST (Jungle Environment Survival Training) on the base is now a hostel, go figure.

Old 05-18-2019   #199
bucs

We just had our midterm elections and results are overwhelmingly in the current administration's favor... unfortunately.

There's a ferry that runs daily from Manila to Corregidor island. It is mostly a tourist spot nowadays with lots of abandoned military structures. Same goes for the Death March memorial in Bataan but would take 4 to 5 hours drive from Manila.

Diving in Subic is not as great as it was before. There are still plenty of dive centers around but marine biodiversity in the area has declined. Highly encourage to go south in Batangas area. World famous dive spots await.

Also here are the local labs:

https://www.theonlinewarehouse.biz/services/
- c41 and bw subject to wait times

http://www.sunny16lab.com/
- c41 and bw subject to wait times

https://yklcolor.com/services/
- c41 only same day processing

Process and scan service costs $4 to $6 on average per roll. Posting here for future reference.

Old 06-18-2019   #200
ktmrider

Well, a lot has happened in my life since the last post. I have sold my house after 21 years and will be leaving El Paso. My wife of 30 years wants a divorce and she departed last Friday in a Uhaul toward Alaska. If a divorce can ever be friendly, ours was since we had grown apart and both acknowledged we should each go our own way.

Anyway, my diving trip is about two weeks away. I have dive reservations in Subic and Puerto Galero. I plan on taking the FujiX100F and 28 aux lens as well as a Osmo 4K action camera. I will either take the M2 or MP240 with a 50 as the X100F pretty well has 28 and 35 covered. And film can wait to be developed back in the US as this trip will only last a month.

Besides the diving, I hope to do some photography along the Bataan Death March and Corregidor and if the rain lets up a bit a motorcycle trip north but I am definitely waiting to see what the weather is like.

Any other hints?