Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

What camera in your collection do you hate to love (or love to hate)
Old 04-22-2018   #1
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

What camera in your collection do you hate to love (or love to hate)

I was thinking about this subject when developing some of my backlogged rolls of 35mm... some going back a few years and I came across a few rolls from my Contax 137 MA Quartz.

I stopped using it because the motor drive is so loud and I didn't like not having a manual advance. Also, it's an SLR... but it can't help that it was born that way

But here's the thing... every frame looks great. Usually I hand meter, but all of the negs from this camera look perfectly exposed. Many more 'keepers' than I am accustomed to.

I shot candids with this camera at a friend's wedding about three years ago and was very happy with the results, but still ended up putting it in the junk drawer.

Looking at the most recent negs, I may have to give this camera another chance — but it's so dang loud!

What camera do you have the same kind of love/hate relationship with?

Old 04-22-2018   #2
DMA1965

For me it’s my Mamiya 7ii. It is, by far, the biggest pain in the butt camera I have ever used. Just changing lenses requires 4 steps. It is cantankerous and loves to fail randomly, despite having gone through a full overhaul. Everything is crazy expensive.

However, it produces the sharpest and most breathtaking photos I have ever seen come out of a film camera. Every time I process a roll from it I end up caressing it like a child.

Old 04-22-2018   #3
skucera

I've got a Nikon F2 that aggravates me for several reasons, but it captures beautiful pictures despite having lenses that turn the wrong way, being incredibly heavy, and having an inoperative light meter. Also, I like many cameras so much more, but when I'm out walking around with the F2 people come out of the woodwork to say how much they loved their old Nikon F, or F2, or F3, or Fwhatever... they just don't comment that way when I have my beloved old rangefinders or my dad's beloved Konica T3n or my gadgety little 110 cameras.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Last edited by skucera : 04-22-2018 at 19:32. Reason: typo

Old 04-22-2018   #4
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Nikon FG. It's a toy. It is analogous to one of the new Nikon DXXXX digital cameras that offers a billion pixels and ISO250000. The FG is a computerized plastic wonder that gives fantastic images, offers program, aperture priority, shutter priority and fully manual modes with all the lenses I own. It's almost an FA but not quite. Just a great, small little camera to carry around with a lightweight lens.
At the same time it's almost embarrassing to carry. Given a few more years, carrying one will be a symbol of pride as no one will work on them anymore and they are known to have some electronic issues.

Phil Forrest

Old 04-22-2018   #5
bayernfan

for me it's the F3 that I hate to love. ergonomically, it's near perfect and feels fantastic in the hand. the viewfinder is so good and the film advance is perfectly weighted.

what drives me nuts is the terrible little LCD meter readout. it's never really easy to read (even in broad daylight), and the illumination lamp is a joke. if it was possible, i'd take out the batteries and force myself to use it like my M4. however, that's not possible, and i constantly find myself foolishly relying on the built-in meter instead of using a handheld.

if there were some way to combine the F3's body with the F4's meter readout and the F2's mechanical operation, i'd be in SLR heaven.

Old 04-23-2018   #6
Dogman

I have an Olympus OMD EM-1 that produces excellent images. It's lightweight and has image stabilization that is reliable and a joy to use. It's also the camera I hate to use. Every control feels like it's in the wrong place, every button is somewhere I manage to press without intent. The EVF is not very sharp and AF is pretty wonky at times. Setting it up was a test of my patience but, thankfully, I don't have to go into the menus very often. And thankfully I could set it for 3:2 aspect ratio for Raw and Lightroom recognizes the crop when imported--I'm not a fan of the native 4:3 aspect ratio.

Why do I tolerate using it? Because it lets me to use my old excellent Olympus standard 4/3 lenses with an adapter and allows AF to work decently. Especially the 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 zoom--who else makes a 100-400mm equivalent lens with this speed and small size that you can handhold all day long? I can also use the very nice Panasonic Leica lenses. And did I mention the Olympus produces excellent images?

Old 04-23-2018   #7
pk851667

My love/hate relationship started with my Canonet QL17 (non-GIII version). It's often sticky, overexposes (average on lens metering), and batteries fall often and without reason. I see no point in getting it serviced as the cost will actually turn out more than just buying another one.

But, it produces wonderfully crisp images and is light and tiny. The throw is short, has shutter priority shooting. It was without question my first foray into serious photography, and completely changed my understanding of what it is like to take photos.

Old 04-23-2018   #8
PaulDalex
Dilettante artist

Hi CapitalK,
with the same lenses we have so many options
For example the delicious mechanical S2
Or the else the best slr ever: the RTSIII.
The RTSIII wispers. A friend of mine dubbed it "zeeee zeee"

Old 04-23-2018   #9
CliveC

I would have to say the Minox 35. Love the compactness and lens, hate the build, feel, and reliability.

The Rollei 35 too to a degree. Wish it had a rangefinder and a wind lever on the right (yes I realize you can hold it upside down).

Old 04-23-2018   #10
Michael I.

Iskra. Leaky bellows need fixing, shut advance mechanism replaced by red window,
weak-ish rf patch, but its a mean portrait machine

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhYJJ_5h...y=mikeivnitsky

Old 04-23-2018   #11
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistach View Post
Hi CapitalK,
with the same lenses we have so many options
For example the delicious mechanical S2
Or the else the best slr ever: the RTSIII.
The RTSIII wispers. A friend of mine dubbed it "zeeee zeee"
I'll look into those. I bought a used Contax 139 with manual winder, but the shutter is seized.

The Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 on my Contax is probably my favourite lens I own, which is a big part of the love part of the relationship I have with this camera.

Old 04-23-2018   #12
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
If there were some way to combine the F3's body with the F4's meter readout and the F2's mechanical operation, i'd be in SLR heaven.
This is called a Pentax LX.
Otherwise, maybe try an FA.
Phil Forrest

Old 04-23-2018   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Currently none. Every time I have this mixed feel the camera is getting sold.
I sold very many cameras...

Old 04-23-2018   #14
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Rollei 35 SE

Love the size.
Hate the anti-human ergonomics.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 04-23-2018   #15
jamin-b

Voigtlander Bessa I - 6x9 + 6x4.5 insert
Voigtlander Perkeo

For both I love the form factor, the clever German engineering features, like for loading the film, and the pocketability. It's just that every time I use them I find the image quality to be just adequate, with a few OK photos that don't justify the medium format and I ask myself why I didn't just use a 35mm camera with a meter and many more exposures, like my Bessa or Leica RFs, FM3a etc. or a MF with some wow factor, like the GF670 or Rolleiflex / Rolleicord or Mamiya C330...

Old 04-23-2018   #16
Mark A. Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA1965 View Post
For me it’s my Mamiya 7ii. It is, by far, the biggest pain in the butt camera I have ever used. Just changing lenses requires 4 steps. It is cantankerous and loves to fail randomly, despite having gone through a full overhaul. Everything is crazy expensive.

However, it produces the sharpest and most breathtaking photos I have ever seen come out of a film camera. Every time I process a roll from it I end up caressing it like a child.
My choice as well, hands down.

I'm in the process of putting mine up for sale for the same reason. Astonishing negatives with resultant gorgeous prints from a cantankerous beast. Every time I think I'll sell it I just look at the output, and put the camera back in its bag...

Old 04-23-2018   #17
RichC

My pricey professional Polaroid Land camera conversion using a 127mm lens... I had this made for me in Japan and shipped over to the UK.

Fuji, now completely disinterested in film (apart from Instax), killed off instant film, so my custom, one-off camera is now completely useless.

If anyone any idea what I can do with it, let me know - not interested in converting it for Instax (a gimmick) or medium format (not worth the effort - a typical folding camera would be cheaper and better).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Polaroid 127mm conversion 01.jpg (28.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Polaroid 127mm conversion 02.jpg (25.6 KB, 6 views)

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 04-23-2018   #18
mynikonf2
OEM

Guess I'm fortunate in that I currently do not own a camera that I hate or even dislike. In my working inventory there are 6 Nikon F's in varying configuration, as well 6 F2's. I love using some more than others & when I'm out shooting I kinda resemble the photojournalist in "Apocalypse Now".

My rangefinder cameras provide a different approach & a reprieve from the heavy SLR gear. Perhaps this why I feel more casual when using them. Though different from the SLR's that I grew up with I enjoy each one or I would not own them.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 04-23-2018   #19
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Sony NEX7

Love part: Produced truly excellent images

Hate part: Navigating the ^%&# menus

Sold it: Hate part won out

Old 04-23-2018   #20
Pioneer

My Nikon F.

I bought it because it is a piece of history.

It takes decent pictures but they are really no better then the pictures that my other cameras provide. I hate to break it to the Nikon fans out there but the lenses really aren't magic, anymore than Leica lenses are.

The ergonomics are very frustrating to me. The big one is that the aperture ring on the lenses turn just from the way I typically hold a camera steady. So, when I think I am exposing at f/8 I am probably actually using f/16 because the aperture ring has already turned.

For another the shutter button is in a very inconvenient location. Of course this never bothers me until I am trying to use the camera quickly.

The camera is also heavy. The shutter is loud enough to scare young children and piss off large dogs, and the lens mounts backwards. There are other things but you get the idea.

And the lenses are a nightmare! Yes I know, all Nikon lenses fit all Nikon cameras. Except for certain lenses won't fit on certain cameras or you will BREAK the silly camera. Whoever thought that was a good idea?? Or the camera just won't do what it is supposed to do. You know, little things. Like auto expose. Another brilliant engineering and marketing move by the geniuses at Nikon. Of course none of this really applies to the Nikon F since it was the first to use this Rube Goldberg lens mount system. I guess it is nice to be first.

I will probably sell it.

BUT...it isn't worth much so I won't get a lot of money for it if I do sell it. It actually doesn't cost me anything to own it. I don't even have to worry about batteries going bad or corroding. I have a full set of lenses from 28mm to 135mm to use with it, including a nice little Macro Lens. Did I mention it is also a piece of history?

AND...wait for it...it is the only 35mm SLR I have EVER been able to successfully repair, and now I have done it twice. Which is a good thing because the cost to fix any mechanical camera these days is outrageous! That alone makes this camera worth keeping. I think.

Of course Nikon F cameras are actually supposed to be bullet proof if you believe what you read on the internut forums, so the fact that I have HAD to repair mine not once, but twice, is just one more reason I love to hate it!

EDIT - I think I have to keep it. What other camera do I own that has so many things wrong with it and still works...sometimes. Of course there is that Contarex I have...

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 04-23-2018   #21
lxmike
Barnack fan

As much as l love the XA, l really hate the way that flare makes the meter reading etc difficult in certain lighting conditions

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5

Old 04-23-2018   #22
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

My screwmount Leica. Beautiful piece of jewelry, I love how it feels in my hands and I like the Elmar but the separate rangefinderforum/viewfinder drives me nuts...

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 04-23-2018   #23
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

Contax T2. Lovely glass, hate that I can't force it to shoot at f/2.8 and that the lens is so close to the right hand grip.

Kiev 6C. Feels like it's going to fail every time I move something on it, total crap prism finder and ground glass, but Sonnar 180/2.8 makes hauling it around for every frame that the camera body lasts for worth it.

Old 04-23-2018   #24
xia_ke

For me it's my Olympus mjuII. All of my other cameras are completely mechanical with, at best, a built-in light meter and that's the type of camera I prefer to shoot with. The mjuII is just so small and light and weatherproof that I can't help but take it with me everywhere. However, I hate that I have no control over exposure, the AF is hit or miss, I keep having to manually turn the flash off every time I turn the camera on, and it's subject to some funky light leaks if shooting, even remotely, into the sun. That said, it has captured some of my favorite shots simply because it was the only camera I had with me.

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
"...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
"The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Old 04-23-2018   #25
JeffS7444

Leica M8 and M9. Was psyched to have them because I was into Leica M at the time, and for the most part they worked okay if kind of beta-quality.

But when it came time to sell them, never have I seen such jittery buyers who were convinced that something costly was broken. Leica themselves didn't help matters by using after-sales service as final quality control. Want stuff that just works right out of the box? Buy a Canon.

As for whether I'd buy another digital M camera: I don't know (but not a CCD model)

Old 04-24-2018   #26
DMA1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A. Fisher View Post
My choice as well, hands down.

I'm in the process of putting mine up for sale for the same reason. Astonishing negatives with resultant gorgeous prints from a cantankerous beast. Every time I think I'll sell it I just look at the output, and put the camera back in its bag...
I really wish someone would figure out a way to adapt those lenses to anothe medium format camera. The lenses are what are astonishing.

Old 04-24-2018   #27
Rangefinder 35

It's gotta be M6. Sure, the beast is beautiful to look at, and when you attach Leica ASPh lens, the image is so sharp, you can shave with it. But the finicky lightmeter and trying to change film in the cold weather drive me nuts...
Contax G2, G1, 21/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 45/2, 90/2.8, Leica M6 Ti, 24/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH, 85/4 ZM Tele-Tessar. Nikon F5, 21/2.8 F Distagon, 50/2.0 F Planar, 100/2.0 F Macro-Planar, 180/2.8 ED Nikkor. 300/4 ED Nikkor

Old 04-24-2018   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

My D4 because although it's a bus it performs like a sports car ... unbelievably good camera!

Old 04-24-2018   #29
rfaspen

I'm still thinking on this question. I suspect I have more than one.

Old 04-24-2018   #30
CharlesDAMorgan

My Nikon F80 and F90X. Produce stunning results, I can use them with all the FX lenses that I bought for my D700, and every function is automated so I can just shoot away.

Which is why I love to hate them, I may as well shoot the D700. That can shoot hundreds more frames and I don't have to send the results off to process. I derive no mechanical satisfaction from the operation as I do with my Leicas, or making that exposure decision that I do with any of my manual film cameras and they are all too clinical. A bad exposure is a learning opportunity, a perfect exposure on the Nikons teaches me nothing.

Great camera technology, but not for me. I felt the same about my F5 many moons ago!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 04-27-2018   #31
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

I really hate to really love my Polaroid Land Camera 250. I've got less than 50 packs of FP-3000, and the little of it that's still possible to buy online is damn expensive..

ilcimento.com

"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau

Old 04-27-2018   #32
Muggins

Argus C3 Matchmatic. If you don't know why, you've never uused one.

Worst of all, no-one does new leather for the Matchmatic. On this side of the pond, these things are like hens teeth!

ADrian

If http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/ are the ones I let people see, what on earth are the rest like?

Old 04-27-2018   #33
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
Argus C3 Matchmatic. If you don't know why, you've never uused one.

Worst of all, no-one does new leather for the Matchmatic. On this side of the pond, these things are like hens teeth!

ADrian
Oh. Around here Argus C3s used to be common as tumbleweeds in a Western movie. I have a few of them, and I don't think I've ever paid for one.

And new coverings for the C3? Really, no one makes them? I would have thought....

Old 04-27-2018   #34
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

I love the results I get from my Mamiya RB67. The ergonomics are great and the lenses are a miracle in sharpness!

Two things I have a beef with: the back only tilts 90º and it would be real nice if it could do 180º so that I don't have to do the math and hang the camera sideways from the ballhead. And the other is the weight of even just the camera and a single lens, let alone a three-lens kit!
Currently I'm awaiting new bicycle tires and as a result, evenings with good light pass by as I sit idly by, since I have architecture miles away that I want to shoot...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |