Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Any news of Roger
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
FUJINON

Any news of Roger

Has anybody heard from Roger Hicks.
His last posting was on the 8th September 2017.
Rather puzzling ?.
He is usually rather active on the Forum.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
valdas

He was active on facebook 3 hours ago...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
BLKRCAT
99% Film

I thought he quit RFF?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
FUJINON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
I thought he quit RFF?

Why was that?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Maybe it wasnt Roger, but I vaguely remember being some drama a while back that someone who was a major contributor got banned or something happened that someone threw in the towel and left. I thought there was a petition to bring someone back... All those posts do seem to disappear though.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
nobbylon

Well as soon as someone says something that the powers don’t like.....it gets deleted.
train set ownership and all that nonsense.
I try my best not to use forums these days other than as a resource.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
I thought he quit RFF?
A few years back (three? five?) he left, but he came back. As already noted, he post fairly frequently on FB.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
Well as soon as someone says something that the powers don’t like.....it gets deleted.
train set ownership and all that nonsense.
I try my best not to use forums these days other than a resource.
I've found many of my posts deleted, that were just tech questions asked or answered, in very friendly terms. No arguments at all on the thread. I go looking for the post to extend it or correct the question in order to be more clear and, it's gone.. along with others of mine and those belonging to others posting on the topic. No politics, no arguments, just an exchange of info and they are deleted.

I really don't get it but, it's had it's effect on my participation here. I PMed one Mod I know and he confirmed the deletions but, had no idea as to why it happened. So, who knows..

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
nobbylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
I've found many of my posts deleted, that were just tech questions asked or answered, in very friendly terms. No arguments at all on the thread. I go looking for the post to extend it or correct the question in order to be more clear and, it's gone.. along with others of mine and those belonging to others posting on the topic. No politics, no arguments, just an exchange of info and they are deleted.

I really don't get it but, it's had it's effect on my participation here. I PMed one Mod I know and he confirmed the deletions but, had no idea as to why it happened. So, who knows..
it doesn’t take a lot to upset some

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
back alley
IMAGES

if you have posts deleted and don’t know why...i would ask stephen about it directly.
as the owner of the forum i believe he views deleting posts/threads as a last resort.
there is no way any one person can keep track
of every post or action of a moderator.

xe3...xt20...xe2...xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/60/55-200

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:

It's been a source of frustration for me on occasions I'll admit and has definitely affected my own input here.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
Bill Clark

When I could delete a comment I posted more. I would re-read some of them and, if I had a glass or two of wine it sometimes affected what I would say. I simply don’t post as much any more. My wine consumption has gone down as well!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
nobbylon

I’ve had it here and elsewhere but sadly thats how it is. There are old school prefects in life that enjoy their moment a little too much. All you need is a mod that’s not impartial and doesn’t agree with what someone writes and that’s that.
I got banned from the Rolex forum for not liking a mod’s choice of watch. I wasn’t rude but he didn’t like my honesty and that was that. Sad loss really as I did enjoy the which gucci loafers suit which watch threads and the show us your ‘louis vuitton’ fan boy posts. The world is truly a mysterious place to be in

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
Emile de Leon

I'm a little more careful on the Rolex forum..than I am here..lol...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
shimokita
白黒

as a mod on another forum (unrelated to RFF) I have taken part in behind the door discussions about banning and post deletion. In my case there is quite often a heated discussion about who and what to ban. Do mod's take some things personal... you bet they do and sometimes it builds up to an irrational decision. The mod discussion normally results in not banning nor deleting of posts and sometimes it goes the other way.

Internal moderator discussion forum can be useful in that regard...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
michaelwj
----------------

The deletion of threads is most often when the OP deletes their post, in that case the thread disappears, there is nowhere for the subsequent posts to go once the root is severed. This is hugely annoying, has been discussed here a lot (I can't remember what the outcome was), and mostly occurs when a new member asks a question. Once they get their answer they presumable 'close' the thread, i.e. it's answered (other platforms allow you to close an answered thread), but here the thread disappears.

Back on topic, I had wondered where Roger was, but I see he is still posting on his site - it looks like I have to go there to check now, I became accustomed to his updates being presented and discussed here. Maybe they still will be, the latest posts seem a little more carefree and less thought provoking IMO.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
jszokoli

I had not noticed that he had left. And to think that his reply to my post was his next too last...
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...8&postcount=77
Joe

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
johnwolf

I suspect I'm partly responsible for his exit. A couple months ago I challenged his propensity to constantly direct the RFF audience to his blog, rather than share his thoughts within RFF. This led to several critical posts against him, in particular about posting non-photography related content. It seemed that he vanished right after that thread.

John

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
PKR

Quote:
I’ve had it here and elsewhere but sadly thats how it is. There are old school prefects in life that enjoy their moment a little too much. All you need is a mod that’s not impartial and doesn’t agree with what someone writes and that’s that.
I got banned from the Rolex forum for not liking a mod’s choice of watch. I wasn’t rude but he didn’t like my honesty and that was that. Sad loss really as I did enjoy the which gucci loafers suit which watch threads and the show us your ‘louis vuitton’ fan boy posts. The world is truly a mysterious place to be in
I'm not a fancy watch guy, a plastic Casio and old $60 Seiko are what I use. But, have always found people who care about such things interesting. I found the forum and will do some fun reading I expect. Any pointers?

On the fancy watch topic: If you travel to sketchy places, foreign or domestic, with a lot of expensive camera gear, don't ware a fancy watch. I don't think I need to say more..

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The thing about Roger for me personally is that even though he can annoy me occasionally I place real value on his presence here because we need balance otherwise it can really become a banal place. There have been some noteable curmudgeons here over the years and almost invariably they seem to be driven away by the conservatism I notice more and more. Others may not agree but I really miss those individuals because that's what they were ... individuals.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
shimokita
白黒

From that earlier thread regarding the captioned topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszokoli View Post
If there was a physical meeting would we be happy if someone was policing that meeting to enforce a photography only mandate? No, you would think it was rude. If there is a group of people off in a corner discussing a something that is off topic, or even a little weird, just walk away.
Being "jointly responsible" is not about self-appointed enforcement of opinion, the latter of which occurs (IMHO) when the community suffers from a perceived inadequacy of articulated direction from the so called "upper levels".

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
johnf04

Roger is also active on the Amateur Photographer magazine forum.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
The deletion of threads is most often when the OP deletes their post, in that case the thread disappears, there is nowhere for the subsequent posts to go once the root is severed. This is hugely annoying, has been discussed here a lot (I can't remember what the outcome was), and mostly occurs when a new member asks a question. Once they get their answer they presumable 'close' the thread, i.e. it's answered (other platforms allow you to close an answered thread), but here the thread disappears.
I think post deletions were disabled recently, mainly because of threads disappearing due to the OP deleting their first post.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The thing about Roger for me personally is that even though he can annoy me occasionally I place real value on his presence here because we need balance otherwise it can really become a banal place. There have been some noteable curmudgeons here over the years and almost invariably they seem to be driven away by the conservatism I notice more and more. Others may not agree but I really miss those individuals because that's what they were ... individuals.
I agree with Keith. Roger can be a bit abrasive at times, but he is the bearer of great knowledge about photography and he shares it freely. I've missed him and I hope he returns.

- Murray

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
if you have posts deleted and don’t know why...i would ask stephen about it directly.
as the owner of the forum i believe he views deleting posts/threads as a last resort.
there is no way any one person can keep track
of every post or action of a moderator.
Can anyone see this post?

xe3...xt20...xe2...xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/60/55-200

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26
splitimageview

As a forum owner it’s not always a simple decision as to post edits, deletions, or topic edits/deletions, let alone banning.

Roger is a fine source of information but his presentation is often abrasive. If he were a member on my forum I’d have a conversation with him about this, but he’d likely just leave.

With a sub forum here, it appears he gets quite a long leash as compared to other members.

As prolific as he is, it’s likely not an accident that he’s not been here recently.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Yes, I see it, and the older one you quoted. They're both still up right now.

Back home again in Indiana

My Portfolio

Learn from Me! Free tutorials for film and digital and my tested film developing times.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28
johnf04

Quote:
Yes..........

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29
johnf04

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
As a forum owner it’s not always a simple decision as to post edits, deletions, or topic edits/deletions, let alone banning.

Roger is a fine source of information but his presentation is often abrasive. If he were a member on my forum I’d have a conversation with him about this, but he’d likely just leave.

With a sub forum here, it appears he gets quite a long leash as compared to other members.

As prolific as he is, it’s likely not an accident that he’s not been here recently.
His wife hasn't been well.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
nobbylon

Quote:
I'm not a fancy watch guy, a plastic Casio and old $60 Seiko are what I use. But, have always found people who care about such things interesting. I found the forum and will do some fun reading I expect. Any pointers?

On the fancy watch topic: If you travel to sketchy places, foreign or domestic, with a lot of expensive camera gear, don't ware a fancy watch. I don't think I need to say more..
The ‘ show us your steering wheels’ thread is a beauty
I got a serious bashing over there for pointing out peoples seemingly self congratulatory behaviour.
There is even a ‘show us your wallets’ thread, hahahahaha
Have fun over there, I still use it for reference.

I’ve actually stopped carrying anything fancy when I visit certain places these days. There’s no point in making yourself a target for idiots. I use my phone or a Canon P+S for my pictures.
Wherever Roger is I wish him and his wife well. He can be abrasive but I’ve enjoyed our exchanges whether I agree or disagree with him.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31
Muggins

He's busy being abrasive over on Amateur Photographer, and has been in the last 24 hours.

Adrian

If http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/ are the ones I let people see, what on earth are the rest like?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
c.poulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
I agree with Keith. Roger can be a bit abrasive at times, but he is the bearer of great knowledge about photography and he shares it freely. I've missed him and I hope he returns.

- Murray
Here here! I totally agree...

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #33
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
yes, 100 % agree

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #34
Rayt

Roger is a good guy and his posts are often interesting. Looking forward to what he has to say here in the future.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #35
PKR

Quote:
The ‘ show us your steering wheels’ thread is a beauty
I got a serious bashing over there for pointing out peoples seemingly self congratulatory behaviour.
There is even a ‘show us your wallets’ thread, hahahahaha
Have fun over there, I still use it for reference.

Thanks for the tip.

On this forum there is a thread where folks show off watches. Many photos also have their cameras in the frame. On the watch forum, many use photos of sports cars (some quite expensive) as their ID image or find other ways to get pictures of expensive cars into watch photos. On high end car (Ferrari etc.) forums, pictures of expensive (high cost to maintain) girl friends or trophy wives are in the photos.

Interesting.. I think see a trend.

Edit/update: the high end girlfriend - wife photo is taken on the grounds of an expensive home. Tennis court or helicopter pad seen in the shot. Unless in upper urban location, where view of city is seen out the window. These people rarely take their own photos. They pay photographers to take them ("do try to get the Picasso in the background").

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #36
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
If I started to annoy people on this forum I'd be kicked out in no time.

And I care about I only.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #37
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
If I started to annoy people on this forum I'd be kicked out in no time.

And I care about I only.
And if people spoke about me like this thread is turning out then I'd leave.

Roger is a tremendous asset to the forum, full of years of knowledge and experiences that he freely shared. I hope he returns.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #38
Paul T.

People who know what the hell they're talking about should always be welcome.

And he should damn well be welcome to publicise his own blog. Ultimately he pays his bills by writing about photography, and if this board benefits from his knowledge - which it indisputably does - a modest amount of self-promotion is entirely appropriate.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Yes, this happens at times and is more likely the answer than Mods being petty. There is an FAQ here and it does have some rules. Generally speaking, if a rule gets broken, then we have to take action. Believe me, I'd rather not have to... but some just can't play nice.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to Roger, but he does take breaks from here sometimes. He's easy to find outside of RFF.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #40
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yes, this happens at times and is more likely the answer than Mods being petty. There is an FAQ here and it does have some rules. Generally speaking, if a rule gets broken, then we have to take action. Believe me, I'd rather not have to... but some just can't play nice.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to Roger, but he does take breaks from here sometimes. He's easy to find outside of RFF.

I have frequently seen quite innocuous comments removed from threads ... you may not be responsible but it does happen!