Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

And another new 35mm film SLR: Ihagee Elbaflex
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Skiff

And another new 35mm film SLR: Ihagee Elbaflex

Looks like there is coming more new camera stuff for film photographers:
The famous German brand Ihagee (which produced also the Exakta cameras in former times) is reborn:

http://i-hagee.com/

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
JeffS7444

As folks have pointed out elsewhere, it looks remarkably similar to a Kiev 19M

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Archlich

They are honest to state it's made in Ukraine and inside it's a 80's design. Which means it indeed is a Kiev 19M with a wooden grip - just fancy enough to hop onto the "renaissance" bandwagon.

Not very Ihagee-ish I say. Guess how much would they charge?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
David Murphy

I support any new serious film camera effort. I will buy one if it is even close to reasonably priced!
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Huss

"The New ELBAFLEX …
… is a joint effort of German and Ukrainian engineers. The inside of the camera is based on Ukrainian camera technology design manufactured in the Ukrainian Arsenal factory up to the late 1980s. This inside of the camera has been improved by carefully reengineering some of its key components, especially some of its mechanical elements. These parts include elements of the mechanical shutter, the usage of different sealing materials of the highest quality and a new, soft stop of the mirror on a specially designed foam pad.

Besides these technical changes on the inside, the team has designed a beautiful body along the line of the famous German Ihagee ELBAFLEX camera. It is possible to personalize the camera with a choice of leather coating and associated straps."

So KIEV 19 re-wrapped. You can still buy Kiev 19s for $20.

This could still be a very cool camera if they really do re-engineer the mechanics (as they claim) and the price is kept low. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, just a reintroduction of a very low spec camera.
If the price is right, that may be fine.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
David Hughes

Ok, I'll wish them luck...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Of course any new film camera is a good sign. And if it sells others may follow...

Chris

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
zuiko85

This seems very much more practical than the "Reflex" campaign, which is way overthought. There is a reason the K1000 was so popular with students. It was basic, exactly (or Exakta-ly, har har) what you need to start out learning camera functions.
Not saying this is only for students or other young folks, I can't be alone in having a love of a simple (10 page instruction book) style 35mm SLR. The tough part will be the price. With so many classic, all mechanical 35mm SLR available on the used market at bargain prices, a new camera, even priced as low as $250 (and I'm going to guess this one will be more than that with a standard lens) would have a hard slog to sell enough units to ensure volume production to lower costs. Of course, we know that perhaps 50% of all those used cameras need service, and that runs up the price quite a bit. So, marketing this camera could be approached from that angle, the true price of buying used, especially if a person does not have the know how to check out a used camera.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
JeffS7444

If a person simply wants a nice new 35mm SLR at a reasonable price, they could do worse than to purchase a Zenit via Lomography:

https://shop.lomography.com/en/bazaa...enit-412ls-slr

I've purchased 2 other Zenit models from them, and though they were actually manufactured circa 2005, the KMZ inspection seal was very recent, and the cameras did not need any further servicing.

Or if you want something more sophisticated, this (currently shown as out of stock) KM Plus might be the ticket:
https://shop.lomography.com/en/zenit-km-slr
I bought one. Bigger and heavier than a Canon Rebel, and noisy too. But it worked! Modern features like motor drive, full range of shutter speeds up to 1/2000th, bright finder with 90%+ coverage etc. What other new 35mm SLR offers all that for $130 in 2017?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Mistral75

People behind the rebirth of Ihagee on Kickstarter are the same one as those behind the rebirth of Meyer-Optik Görlitz, Oprema Jena and Emil Busch, all trademarks also active on Kickstarter and Indiegogo: the listed, Koblenz-headquartered net SE group and first of all its CEO Herr Doktor Stefan Immes.

Indeed, the Ihagee trademark belongs to SEMI Verwaltung GmbH, a company based in Koblenz. Other trademarks owned by SEMI Verwaltung include Lydith, Makroplasmat, Nocturnus, Oreston, Primagon and Telemegor. Those are some of the names used by Meyer-Optik Görlitz, a subsidiary of the net SE group also based in Koblenz, for their lenses.

So don't expect this Ihagee Elbaflex to be inexpensive.

The corresponding Kickstarter campaign will be launched tomorrow 14 December at 4pm CET.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Timmyjoe

Not to be a killjoy, but with such an abundance of used, fully functional, film SLR's in existence, these kind of projects really baffle me. What are these cameras offering that isn't readily available on the used market?

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Not to be a killjoy, but with such an abundance of used, fully functional, film SLR's in existence, these kind of projects really baffle me. What are these cameras offering that isn't readily available on the used market?

Best,
-Tim
Yes, it doesn't look like a used OM1 or FM2 competitor to me.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
farlymac
PF McFarland

If I didn't already have so many Nikons, I'd jump on this in a minute. I also would like to wait and see if they can actually produce enough of them at a quality point where folks aren't turning them back in for warranty work as soon as they get them.

PF

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post

Best,
-Tim
I guess that down to needing the optics as well, I'm surprised there hasn't been a sort of Medium Format RF, or even SLR, project going on.
Something akin to the Mamiya 6/7 which have appreciated nicely these last years...

And 35mm compacts, the call was made by Bellamy of JCH but no one has launched any project (well, he himself did). Maybe electronics and manufacturing complexity.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
Hannes

The Kiev 19 has Nikon F mount. And the camera on the new Ihagee site has an old Nikkor lens mounted. That is the best part of it.

On the other side. My old Nikkormat feels much better than my Kiev 19. The led gauge for exposure metering in the Kiev is not very reactive.

Let's wait and see.

Hannes

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I wonder if their Ukraine made lenses will suffer the oil on the aperture blades sticky problem of all Kiev SLR lenses ?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
If a person simply wants a nice new 35mm SLR at a reasonable price, they could do worse than to purchase a Zenit via Lomography:

https://shop.lomography.com/en/bazaa...enit-412ls-slr

I've purchased 2 other Zenit models from them, and though they were actually manufactured circa 2005, the KMZ inspection seal was very recent, and the cameras did not need any further servicing.

Or if you want something more sophisticated, this (currently shown as out of stock) KM Plus might be the ticket:
https://shop.lomography.com/en/zenit-km-slr
I bought one. Bigger and heavier than a Canon Rebel, and noisy too. But it worked! Modern features like motor drive, full range of shutter speeds up to 1/2000th, bright finder with 90%+ coverage etc. What other new 35mm SLR offers all that for $130 in 2017?
Decent cameras for the price, but as the trend goes, they too need a coat of "young startup" and "rebirth of a legend" aura (and charge double) to actually appeal to the supportive crowd.

Weirdly all these seem to be following the path Lomography paved decades ago. Even more weird is Lomo actually made some new film cameras in the past decade, not just rebadged...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Guess the Lomo name carries mocked and scorned upon
I've got nothing against Lomo, they don't make those Zenits, just sell them.
And the price is very attractive for a new camera.

But... I bought 2 new old stock Zenits a year ago - the 12SD which arguably was the zenit of their camera production , and a TTL. I bought them because they were cheap and brought back fond memories of my childhood.

The 12SD arrived with pin holes in the shutter. I fixed that using carbon black paint. The TTL is a complete light leaking mess with a shutter that needs calibration. Electronics are not strength of these machines, seeing the way the 'light meters' behave on my two. The one that Lomo now offers has auto DX setting, which quite frankly I see as negative. Funnily enough I feel the same way about that on my Leica M7!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I have working, clean Kiev-19 with amazing lens and nobody wants it, including me. Now I know how to finely sell it. Wooden shtuk and Dresdina name will do it.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
Mistral75

The Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...story-reloaded

This is definitely a Kiev 19M in disguise.

Prices are outrageous, like always with Meyer-Optik Görlitz and their bunch:

- 24h offer $499
- Super Early Bird $529 (50 units)
- Early Bird $549 (75 units)
- Super Deal $599 (100 units),
- bundled with Meyer-Optik Görlitz Trioplan 50mm: $1,299 (50 units)
- bundled with Meyer-Optik Görlitz Lydith 30mm f/3.5: $1,399 (50 units)
- bundled with Meyer-Optik Görlitz Primotar (Tessar) 50mm f/2.8: $1,499 (50 units).

- forecast RRP (body only): $1,499.

The Kickstarter campaign is only a marketing tool: the financing goal is set at $50,000.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

"The new ELBAFLEX is created by a team of of German and Ukrainian engineers. The German side has the design and engineering leadership."

Sure babe.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
Huss

1. I like the way it looks, like they copied a Fuji XT-1
b. Slapping that hunk of table on it reminds me of the delightful Sonyblads like the Lunar.
iii. Yup, it's a Kiev 19M that you can buy for $20, but with the chunk o fence, they are charging $550
4. This shows just how awesome the all new, highly specced, Reflex camera is. That one is $200 less than this Kiev 19!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
Crazy Fedya

It should be called Dniproflex.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
Arbitrarium
Never trust a light meter

I can see why people have backed the Reflex Kickstarter. It offers new and interesting things.

But I can see zero reasons why anyone would want to back or own this thing. An ugly, uninspiring mid-range camera for the price of a perfect Nikon FM3a?

Ha.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral75 View Post
I stopped reading after they mentioned the word "analog" about twenty times. That means "film", right?

It really has no self timer?

I wonder if its as reliable, or more or less so, than, say, a 40-year-old Nikon FM? Since it has an F-mount anyway...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
nobbylon

I’ll stick with my F6, but as Tim says why this over a hundred or more decent late SLR’s ?
I’d rather have an FM2.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
mpaniagua

Seems a good camera, but way expensive. I'm sure they aren't making a big profit with it, but rather, a mechanical camera is expensive to make, and current demand doesn't help to reduce cost.

Would I pick one for $100-200? I think I would do. It offer a new camera, with modern (probably) manufacture techniques, probably a decen warranty and would benefit the industry.

At the advertised prices, well, not really have the impulse to buy.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
Archlich

Really, I had my FM3a fully overhauled by Nikon this summer for 13,500 yen. Why bother with this thing at all...when you can support genuine makers, while they still last.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #29
zuiko85

If anyone wants a rugged tank of a camera with a Nikon mount ebay is awash with Nikkormat FT2's, most all for less than $100, and some even come with a standard lens for that price. If you are worried about servicing them up to spec then add another $125 and still get a much better camera for less than 1/2 of their 'first 24hr special price'.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #30
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
If anyone wants a rugged tank of a camera with a Nikon mount ebay is awash with Nikkormat FT2's, most all for less than $100, and some even come with a standard lens for that price. If you are worried about servicing them up to spec then add another $125 and still get a much better camera for less than 1/2 of their 'first 24hr special price'.
I love the FT2, it is highly under-rated.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #31
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post
An ugly, uninspiring mid-range camera for the price of a perfect Nikon FM3a?

Ha.
Thing is it is not a mid-range camera. With shutter speeds from only 1/2 to 1/500 sec it is bottom of the barrel range.
Unlike the all new Reflex camera (which is $200 cheaper!!!) this is nothing but a cynical reskin of a cheap camera, with the price jacked up into the stratosphere to accommodate the marketing intent.

Lomo sells a much more 'honest' slr for $80 new, on their website. I am a champion of film, the film process and film cameras, but this is just a group of people jumping on the bandwagon trying to cash in taking advantage of those who, perhaps, are a little naive.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #32
nobbylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Thing is it is not a mid-range camera. With shutter speeds from only 1/2 to 1/500 sec it is bottom of the barrel range.
Unlike the all new Reflex camera (which is $200 cheaper!!!) this is nothing but a cynical reskin of a cheap camera, with the price jacked up into the stratosphere to accommodate the marketing intent.

Lomo sells a much more 'honest' slr for $80 new, on their website. I am a champion of film, the film process and film cameras, but this is just a group of people jumping on the bandwagon trying to cash in taking advantage of those who, perhaps, are a little naive.
I completely agree with you Huss. For anyone wanting a Nikon mount you may as well buy any FT2/3, FM/FE series or dare I say an F100 which I’m positive will out perform and outlast this wanna be money earner.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #33
zuiko85

Upon further consideration. If I wanted something with the old and honorable name of Ihagee on it I'd rather have a VX-IIa or even VX1000 over this offering.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #34
Huss

Good grief it gets worse. Their explanation why it does not have a light meter:

"Today it is much easier to use a light meter app on your mobile phone which offer you much more than a small light meter in your camera which requires batteries again."

So to sum up, this is actually a worse camera than the Kiev 19.
They want photography so pure, they recommend you to bring your iphone along...

Un-be-freakin-lievable.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #35
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
"The New ELBAFLEX …
… is a joint effort
...Not quite the worst camera pun I've ever read...

More seriously, If this is actually new manufacture rather than re-working old cameras, it becomes much more interesting.
IF these are new, then all those "perfect" 30, 40, 50 year old mechanical Nikons become non competitors, I think.

No meter, no problem for me, but I do think it a bit disingenuous to say that the photographers can just use a phone app. I might have played more to the "purity" of a meter-less camera--but I'm a bit of a cynic.

Undeserved, or not, the basic FSU reputation has long been "good designs but poor quality control" and the stated process they're promoting would seem to address that, I think.

$500 or $600 for an actually new SLR isn't wildly over priced--if the things I've noted above are true. $1500 is, I think, a bit much. Sort of. Again, taking their promotional stuff at face value, for a made to order camera, probably not as expensive as they might have been.

The limited shutter speeds are, for me, the "problem". I don't use 1 second speed very often but I do use it. 1/1000 is more important to me but I rarely need faster. And, a higher sync speed would be nice.

Am I going to buy one of these? No. But that's primarily because I need to be saving my $ for installation of a second bathroom--I'm not buying any "new" cameras for a while.

I am a bit more interested in the new lenses they talk about and will have to do some searching about those.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #36
p.giannakis

Buying and overhauling anExakta Varex IIbwill probably cost me less (including a lens)...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #37
css9450

Quote:
They want photography so pure, they recommend you to bring your iphone along...
If I have to drag a phone along with me, I may as well use it to take the pictures with too...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #38
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

550 can buy a lot of classic SLR, I would be partial to the last made Canon New F1 or a few OM 1 models.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Have I missed something ... has there been an explosion in the world wide hipster population?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #40
Mistral75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Have I missed something ... has there been an explosion in the world wide hipster population?
May be they just have a batch of a few hundreds of NOS Kiev 19M to revamp and sell on Kickstarter?