Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do you have dreams about your cameras?
Yes, I have had dreams about my cameras 74 42.05%
Yes, but only after eating lots of spicy foods. 3 1.70%
Daydreams only. 60 34.09%
I’ve never had a dream about my cameras. No way, no how. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 39 22.16%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2019   #81
Chris101
summicronia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
That actually is interesting, though hard for me to understand why you'd be happy. Clearly, the camera and that lens is something you felt strongly about and became emotionally attached to. If I were a Mystic Psychic Dream Analyzer, I'd say the camera is telling you it's been sold and has found a new life making photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I think the dream about the 645 probably is sufficient to represent all your other losses as well, making it unnecessary to dream about the others.
The dream could possibly represent another loss, non-camera related. Like maybe the loss of a relationship? The dream could then be reassuring, fulfilling a wish that a significant other has found a new life? I don't know Chris. It's just a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
Recurring pleasant dreams are often because you have fond memories of that object, person or time. You probably had more of an emotional connection with that camera than the others.

As for the others being stolen, WTH is up with that? How come you've had so much gear stolen?
Wow! Thank you all for such insightful responses.

@Pál_K, I do hope the camera is making pictures somewhere. It was a good picture maker, although I was in the early stages of a lifelong learning curve.

@Rob-F, loss transference is certainly a possibility. But my dreams are so closely focused on that one camera - it was the first one I bought, and the first big purchase I made after getting my first “grown up” job. So it represented independence, and all that.

@Archiver, my former house was in a rough neighborhood, and was burglarized in 1985 and again in 2011. Both times cameras and computers were stolen, but I had good insurance, so I replaced them. Some people need to sell their cameras to upgrade.

I wonder if the dream series will end now, because of this public examination? I’d enjoy some new dreams.

Old 12-02-2019   #82
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
Nope, most of my dreams involve attempting to recursively loop a four dimentional array of scalar data into a square matrix to calculate all possible determinants.
I like those dreams...

When I was in college studying Mathematics, I'd do homework in my dreams: I'd wake up in the middle of the night and write down the proofs I'd cook up or write down the matrix for a system of equations I had solved. Most, with some rechecking after I was back awake, were good work. I think somewhere I have a notebook of all my "homework in dreams" moments.

Never had a dream about cameras that I recall. Most of my recollectible dreams are about places I've visited and/or lived in my dream world, or about people whom I spent some time with there. Various people who are long gone in this world visit me in my dreams and we have some great conversations and do things together again. Sometimes, I make photographs in my dreams as a part of whatever else is going on.

As always, "Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

G

Old 12-02-2019   #83
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
Nope, most of my dreams involve attempting to recursively loop a four dimentional array of scalar data into a square matrix to calculate all possible determinants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I like those dreams...

When I was in college studying Mathematics, I'd do homework in my dreams: I'd wake up in the middle of the night and write down the proofs I'd cook up or write down the matrix for a system of equations I had solved.
WT... , eh?

(wow, this site censors mildly humorous acronyms)

I was a math major, have a degree in math (and computer science) and not once, ever, have I had a math dream. Now, dreams that I went the whole year and totally forgot to attend a class... Yeah, that dream.

Old 12-04-2019   #84
Ambro51
Collector/Photographer

Yes! Last night......I was at the city dump, picking, as my dad and I done decades ago. I found one of those mini cameras, a HIT. Yup, out of All the classics and rarities that Could have made the dream...I dream of a toy. ;-)

Old 12-04-2019   #85
David Hughes
David Hughes

Interesting question but you might just have well asked if dentists dream about teeth for all the use the answers will be.

I asked my dentist, btw, and she shuddered at the thought but the answer was "no"...

Regards, David

Old 12-07-2019   #86
airfrogusmc

I have dreams about making photographs or sometimes nightmares about commercial assignments going south (ha ha) and/or the really bad client but never about the tools.

Old 12-12-2019   #87
Cyriljay

yes I am having a dream about my next MM Camera

Old 01-13-2020   #88
agentlossing

I did just dream last night about rewinding a film roll in my Bessa T and noticing in dismay that I could see the film as I was rewinding it in the film window on the back...