Leica 35mm for film camera
Old 12-14-2019   #1
thjk

Leica 35mm for film camera

I am thinking to get a Leica M 35mm for my new MP. My personal taste is the high contrast pictures and I want a smaller lens. The lens I have now are the 35 Summilux FLE, 50 mm Summilux ASPH, 28 mm Elmarit ASPH, Voigtlander 35 mm f/2.5 Color Skopa.

I am thinking about the Summicron V4, V5 and Summarit f 2.5. If I get this I may let go my 35 FLE since I rarely use it.

Just wonder which one is best suit for film camera. Is anyone has the same experience?

Old 12-14-2019   #2
aizan

I would trade the FLE and Color-Skopar for the Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron. The Summicron pre-ASPH often gives harsh bokeh WOCA, and the ASPH can be harsh in similar situations, so they’re basically the same as the Ultron where you need to stop down a little to really smooth things out, but at greater cost. The Summarit-M is nice, but on the slow side for film.

Old 12-14-2019   #3
oldwino

If you want higher contrast, look at the Zeiss 35s.

current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 12-14-2019   #4
leo mm

The 35 Summicron ASPH feels like an obvious choice here – one of the most common objections to this lens is the high contrast, but you say you prefer that look. It's a bit bigger and heavier than earlier 35mm Summicrons, but to my mind it still offers a good balance of speed to size (and the build quality is very good).

Edit: The Zeiss 2.8 Biogon-C is also an excellent choice (compact with high contrast and low distortion), but you said you wanted Leica, and the extra speed of the Summicron is useful with film.

Old 12-14-2019   #5
CharlesDAMorgan

+1 what oldwino said. Sharp and contrasty the Biogons are gorgeous.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 12-14-2019   #6
madNbad

Another vote for the Zeiss 35 2.8 Biogon-C! Over the years I've owned the 35 2.0 Summicron ASPH, the Zeiss 2.8 35 Biogon-C, a 35 3.5 Summaron in LTM and most recently the Voigtlander 35 2.0 Ultron ASPH. All are very capable lenses but if you're looking for something different with a bit more pop, try the Zeiss.

Old 12-14-2019   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Old Crons are way too overpriced for no reason. Especially plastic-fantastic v4.
If you are using color mostly, Color Skopar is just perfect for color.
Summarit 35 is the best lens I ever owned for BW darkroom prints. It renders very juicy, comparing to totally flat Skopar. I only wish it to be 1.4. Think twice before selling FLE. I wish, I could afford it.

Also, contrast is done during printing or in PP.

Old 12-14-2019   #8
Erik van Straten

Slightly stopped down:

Old 12-14-2019   #9
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjk View Post
I am thinking to get a Leica M 35mm for my new MP. My personal taste is the high contrast pictures and I want a smaller lens. The lens I have now are the 35 Summilux FLE, 50 mm Summilux ASPH, 28 mm Elmarit ASPH, Voigtlander 35 mm f/2.5 Color Skopa.

I am thinking about the Summicron V4, V5 and Summarit f 2.5. If I get this I may let go my 35 FLE since I rarely use it.

Just wonder which one is best suit for film camera. Is anyone has the same experience?
Are us looking for a chrome or black Summicron v5?

Old 12-15-2019   #10
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
My favorite 35mm Leica lens is the steelrim Summilux with serial numbers 216XXXX and 206XXXX.

At full aperture!

That picture, and the lens that produced it, are exquisite.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 12-15-2019   #11
ktmrider

Another vote for the Zeiss 35f2.8 C-Biogon. Contasty and sharp. Reid Reviews has said it may be the sharpest 35 they have ever tested. And small and cheap compared to anything by Zeiss.

Old 12-15-2019   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

You already have an excellent 35mm lens. There are several options for a higher contrast 35mm lens. I chose the Zeiss 35/2 ZM. Some prefer the 35/2.8 Zeiss. Save money and get a Canon 35/2 . It is a small lens. Since you like high contrast lenses but are not happy about your asph lens, getting a modern Zeiss lens may be the way to go.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-15-2019   #13
ChrisC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjk View Post
....My personal taste is the high contrast pictures... I have.. 35 Summilux FLE, 50 mm Summilux ASPH, 28 mm Elmarit ASPH, Voigtlander 35 mm f/2.5 Color Skopa......
Hi – I have the current 28 Elmarit, and had the Voigtlander 35mm Colour Skopar – which I sold and replaced with a Zeiss 35mm C-Biogon f2.8.

The C-Biogon is my go-to everyday lens; it is superb. It is substantially better than the Colour Skopar I had, it is far better than my 28mm Elmarit [bought new].

I use this 3D printed hood on the Zeiss C–Biogon :

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GR...53097&li=shops

The hood works fabulously on the C–Biogon.

............ Chris

Old 12-15-2019   #14
Deardorff38

The Biogon is currently on sale at BH for under $800.Quite a deal for a high quality lens

Old 12-15-2019   #15
Ccoppola82

Are you shooting color or BW? For BW, meter your shadows and put them where the need to be in the zone scale, and just develop longer to n+1 or 2 for your development. No need for a new lens in that case. Just my opinion.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 12-15-2019   #16
thjk

Wow. Seem like almost everyone is a fan of Zeiss C Biogon. I will consider it seriously. Thank you.