Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

M4-P vertical alignment at close range?
Old 12-09-2019   #1
Daniel.E

M4-P vertical alignment at close range?

My Leica M4-Pís RF is spot on at infinity and midrange but if I want to get to the 0.7cm range the small details, like letters or lines arenít clear. I thought it was the vertical alignment but since itís spot on everywhere else it got me thinking that maybe at close range itís just different. This is my first Leica and so far everything is nice and sharp but if I want to get up close then Iím hesitating too much.

Would the tool from Mr. Zhou help in this matter?

Old 12-09-2019   #2
splitimageview

“Nice and sharp” — in photos? I.e., is focus accurate?

Or are you describing strictly the view thru the viewfinder?

Old 12-09-2019   #3
Daniel.E

I’m describing the view through the viewfinder. It doesn’t seem like there’s any misalignment. The pictures are nice and sharp too, focusing is accurate. It’s just at the maximum focusing distance that the small details look off, when viewing through the viewfinder. Like holding a newspaper taped to the wall at 0.70cm. The headlines look fine but the small letters look off and not crisp.

Old 12-09-2019   #4
splitimageview

Maybe try a diopter?

Old 12-12-2019   #5
awilder

If you're over 45 and need any kind of reading correction consider getting a +0.5 diopter eyepiece accessory. The M viewfinder has a effective diopter power of -0.6 requiring your eye's focusing mechanism (accommodation) to overcome that 0.6 power in addition to 1.4 diopters for a subject at 0.7 meters. That means your eyes have to accommodate 2 diopters when focusing on the RF patch. The +0.5 diopter accessory helps at near without blurring infinity.

Old 12-12-2019   #6
maddoc
... likes film.

That sounds very interesting and helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
If you're over 45 and need any kind of reading correction consider getting a +0.5 diopter eyepiece accessory. The M viewfinder has a effective diopter power of -0.6 requiring your eye's focusing mechanism (accommodation) to overcome that 0.6 power in addition to 1.4 diopters for a subject at 0.7 meters. That means your eyes have to accommodate 2 diopters when focusing on the RF patch. The +0.5 diopter accessory helps at near without blurring infinity.

flickr
pBase

Old 12-12-2019   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

I've got a -2 diopter on mine so I don't have to wear my glasses while shooting. Have no problem with focusing at close distance.

PF