Lens hood for collapsible Elmar 9cm f4
Old 10-28-2019   #1
mmaleschuk

Lens hood for collapsible Elmar 9cm f4

Hi

I recently bought an Elmar 9cm f4 collapsible lens. What are my hood options apart from a Leica one? Having a hard time to find an aftermarket one.

Cheers
Merlyn

Old 10-28-2019   #2
peterm1

Maybe do what I do if you are not too worried about appearances - only function. Buy a metal hood for longer focal lengths in a diameter of say 43mm (I find that 43mm is a pretty good option but you can also use 46mm - much bigger tends to block the finder too much which is why I prefer 43mm). The hood I am thinking of is of tubular shape with no venting. Like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/43-mm-Metal...UAAOSwnNBXaPMg

Get a 39mm-43mm stepping ring and use this paired with the hood. Total cost less than $10. It works perfectly well and in the mean time you can look for something more stylish if you wish.

I have an old hood labelled Canon "for EEE" 42mm c which fits well and is presently mounted on my thin Tele Elmarit which has a 39mm filter thread. The hood is clamp fit.

it is the same as this one: https://kamerastore.com/product/cano...BoCkTEQAvD_BwE

Also shown here - with a picture of the hood plus the gizmo it was designed to fit:
http://www.mike-lee.org/scripts/camera/view.htm?id=1890

I also have a hood that fits 43mm which was originally for a Ricoh lens ( no idea which but the hood is so labelled) and have seen suitable 43mm hoods turn up now and then for other old lenses too but they are even more rare than the Leica ones. but if you stumble on one, with adapter ring to 39mm these work well too.

Old 10-28-2019   #3
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaleschuk View Post
Hi

I recently bought an Elmar 9cm f4 collapsible lens. What are my hood options apart from a Leica one? Having a hard time to find an aftermarket one.

Cheers
Merlyn
You might be able to find an ITOOY for a reasonable price. I'm using one with my collapsible Elmar and works great.

M3+MEM+ITOOY

Flickr

Old 10-29-2019   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Hood for status or for use? I used mine without hood. It is not flaring lens much.
But since it is using normal 39mm filters here is absolutely no problem with them on eBay.
But again those are for use, not status.

Old 10-29-2019   #5
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

My preference would be to use whatever hood you may have on hand, such as a 50mm, until the proper one comes along. It will, sooner or later.

Old 10-29-2019   #6
mmaleschuk

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many options for me to move forward on.

cheers,
merlyn

Old 10-30-2019   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

If you don't mind waiting a bit, there are many reproduction/generic hoods to be had from the Asian manufacturers. You don't say whether you have the A36 or E39 filter mount, but there are plenty of either out there.

PF

Old 10-31-2019   #8
David Hughes
David Hughes

Try www.jackthehat.co.uk/lens-hoods-c-38.html they are bound to have something in stock that's ideal...

Regards, David

PS I'm just one of their happy customers; no more and no less.

PPS The internet address looks wrong - because of the "38" - but they have lens hoods from 27mm upwards.