90/2.8 Elmarit-M 11807 with film
Old 06-26-2019   #1
F456
Tom H

90/2.8 Elmarit-M 11807 with film

I have this lens and have always had great pictures with it; a few on digital (a few because I didn't use it much with my M8 not because others weren't any good!) and lots on film.

I am entirely happy with it but am just curious why it was discontinued some years back. Presumably it was felt that the at the time new Apo-Summicron 90/2 ASPH was a league ahead in some ways.

Could it be that 90mm just isn't a seller any more - along with other longer than standard lenses? I know they brought out the Summarit range but that didn't stop Leica offering top range speed choices for shorter lengths.

I wonder in what ways apart from extra f stop the Apo 90 is better than the Elmarit. Does it have a different, Mandler era look by comparison?

Tom

Old 06-26-2019   #2
Richard G

Great lens. Especially on film. But mine has given way to the Macro Elmar M for the closer focus (not including the close up attachment) and I can collapse it and put the camera away quickly in my small bag when it starts to rain. The 75s have probably taken some of the market for a 90 and the thin Elmarit snd Summarit 90s are more compact. I doubt it will have anything to do with the rendering - hard to beat the Elmarit-M.

Old 06-26-2019   #3
Richard G

90 f2.8 Elmarit-M. Fuji Superia.

Rosetable
by Richard, on Flickr

Old 12-28-2019   #4
Raskolnikov

The 90mm Elmarit-M is a fantastic lens! Very sharp, yet smooth at the same time.
Some examples on TMAX 400:

Untitled
by t1m.h, on Flickr

Untitled
by t1m.h, on Flickr

Old 12-28-2019   #5
Beemermark

I have one I bought new back in 2004 and I found it difficult also to believe it was dropped and not really replaced. The best 90mm lens Leica made IMHO and not replaced by any better. The Summicron is a good but heavy lens, the current 2.5 screams cheap.