Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do you currently own a Leica camera?
YES 588 81.55%
NO 133 18.45%
Voters: 721. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2015   #161
yoyo22

I own six. My wife would say that I own too many, if she knew...
Thank God that Leica M cameras all look alike, so she lost track of how many I own.

Old 03-12-2015   #162
Sonny Sichtstein
Mike in Sacramento

Put me down for two M2s and a IIIc.

I tend to agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
You could say from this survey that Leica's problem is that a lot of enthusiasts for the brand own cameras made fifty years ago and more. In my case an M3 (1961) and a IIIF (1951). Nice for us, but not a capitalist's dream. Cameras like the Sony A7 series and others are making inroads into what was Leica's niche market.
As a group of Leica enthusiasts RFF's value to Leica could be one possible source among many to check their general pulse in the market. To see RFF as meriting more "clout" they would likely need more specific information on ownership of recent or current models, whether they were purchased new or used, etc, as well as all the normal marketing & demographic info - age, household income, education, buying intentions, and that sort of thing.

Nevertheless I see this poll as a good thing and a great start. =)
Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE scanner | Epson V600 scanner | Epson P600 printer

Old 03-12-2015   #163
cary

M3 and a IIIF BD, a number of lenses, two compartment cases with accessories.

Cary

Old 03-12-2015   #164
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Sichtstein View Post
Put me down for two M2s and a IIIc.

I tend to agree with this:

As a group of Leica enthusiasts RFF's value to Leica could be one possible source among many to check their general pulse in the market. To see RFF as meriting more "clout" they would likely need more specific information on ownership of recent or current models, whether they were purchased new or used, etc, as well as all the normal marketing & demographic info - age, household income, education, buying intentions, and that sort of thing.

Nevertheless I see this poll as a good thing and a great start. =)
Sonny,

All I know is that much of my disposible income involves photography expenses to the point where the money has to come from somewhere. I don't own a car, I walk to save a meager $2.50 subway or bus fare, I eat nut butter sandwitches for lunch... I don't own a house...

I would not be able to shoot or own a Monochrom otherwise. When Leica comes out with a MM-240, somehow I will buy one, but also know that I intend to also keep my Monochrom.

Leica is my lifestyle at this point.

Cal

Old 03-12-2015   #165
Sonny Sichtstein
Mike in Sacramento

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
When Leica comes out with a MM-240, somehow I will buy one, but also know that I intend to also keep my Monochrom.
I, on the other hand, am fairly happy with my M2s and can't honestly ever see myself buying a new Leica. (Unless they introduce a substantially lower cost film camera compatible with M lenses)

As far as Leica and their efforts to understand their market, the opinions of 100 like you probably carry more weight than 100,000 like me.
Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE scanner | Epson V600 scanner | Epson P600 printer

Old 03-12-2015   #166
oltimer

Quote:
Frank,

Just what I wanted to hear. My kind of camera: basic, durable, and extra bomb proof. I don't mind the extra heft of a durable build.

Thanks.

Cal
Cal,
I actually forgot to list my R's for this poll. When your speaking of "bomb proof"; the R6.2 fully mechanical sure is one, and I also enjoy my R7 (fully electronic) very much.

Old 03-12-2015   #167
raid
Dad Photographer

If wish that each person who "viewed" this poll would also vote.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-12-2015   #168
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Unfortunately, I think there is a bias for those viewing and not voting: my gut is telling me that most of this group does not own a Leica because they are less invested than those who do, to vote.

(Hope that made sense.)

photography makes me happy

Old 03-12-2015   #169
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltimer View Post
Cal,
I actually forgot to list my R's for this poll. When your speaking of "bomb proof"; the R6.2 fully mechanical sure is one, and I also enjoy my R7 (fully electronic) very much.
I agree. The newer camera would be better for daily use. I bought the SL because 1.) the cost was much lower than a R6.2, and 2.) I'm more into vintage cameras.

Old 03-12-2015   #170
oltimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Unfortunately, I think there is a bias for those viewing and not voting: my gut is telling me that most of this group does not own a Leica because they are less invested than those who do, to vote.

(Hope that made sense.)

Frank, I'm not so sure on the statement you made. I know of at least 2 members who would rather not admit here publicly that they both could fill 2 show cases full of their Leica's. Going public on here does not stay private.

Old 03-12-2015   #171
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltimer View Post
Frank, I'm not so sure on the statement you made. I know of at least 2 members who would rather not admit here publicly that they both could fill 2 show cases full of their Leica's. Going public on here does not stay private.
Yes, there is that group (of paranoids ) but, and I'm only going by my gut, the members of the group not owning Leicas are less likely to vote in a Leica ownership poll than those who do.

I'm sure there are statistical studies done on this sort of thing.

Old 03-12-2015   #172
oltimer

Quote:
Yes, there is that group (of paranoids ) but, and I'm only going by my gut, the members of the group not owning Leicas are less likely to vote in a Leica ownership poll than those who do.
I follow your train of thought now. As I stated above; you can see why "I spoke as I did for the other group"?

Old 03-12-2015   #173
willie_901

Quote:
I want to be able to truthfully say that "80% of all RFF members own at least one Leica camera" ... or similar.

Perhaps you should amend your statement to '"80% of this who responded to a poll".
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-12-2015   #174
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Raid,

I've been following this thread, but I can only vote once. Realize that active guys like me are pinging the number of views.

Cal

Old 03-12-2015   #175
the hoarder

A lovely 1960 M3 with a 1957 summicron 50 f2 d/r lens.

Old 03-12-2015   #176
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:

(Hope that made sense.)

You could be right, Frank. This is the world of probability when nobody is completely sure of things being right or not!

Old 03-12-2015   #177
dave lackey

Quote:
Sonny,

All I know is that much of my disposible income involves photography expenses to the point where the money has to come from somewhere. I don't own a car, I walk to save a meager $2.50 subway or bus fare, I eat nut butter sandwitches for lunch... I don't own a house...

I would not be able to shoot or own a Monochrom otherwise. When Leica comes out with a MM-240, somehow I will buy one, but also know that I intend to also keep my Monochrom.

Cal
^^^A true Leicaphile^^^, thanks Cal!

Dave

Old 03-12-2015   #178
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
^^^A true Leicaphile^^^, thanks Cal!
Dave,

Not only Leica: Nikon F3HP; Nikon F3P; Whiteface Rollie 3.5F; Pentax 67II with AE prism; Plaubel 69W Proshift; Fuji GM670; and Fiji GL690.

I only own 5 Leicas, but I kinda already am looking at another Black SL2 MOT that is listed for no money. Then if Leica comes out with a MM-240 this fall I'll be really broke, because I will keep my Monochrom.

At this point, I tell you I am diseased. Some people lack meaning in their lives, but at least my life has a focus. LOL. Anyways to me photography is a lifestyle.

Cal

Old 03-12-2015   #179
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Sonny,

Cal
Same here, minus the digital Leica

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 03-12-2015   #180
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Raid, is there a statistical distribution that we can use to derive within a certain CI what is the ratio of the viewers who don't vote into "own any Leica" vs "do not own"

Old 03-12-2015   #181
raid
Dad Photographer

What is that distribution, Will?

Old 03-12-2015   #182
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

One M4-P.
That's it.

Old 03-12-2015   #183
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
What is that distribution, Will?
That's why I'm asking you, the statistics professor, Raid.
I'm just a Software Geek

Old 03-12-2015   #184
Roger Hicks

Only two of my Leicas are over 50 years old, M2 and IIIa. The latter is proof that they are hopelessly unreliable: a mere 79 years old and after less than thirty years of hard use in my hands (1969-1999, when it was only 33-69 years old) the shutter started misbehaving and has since defied several attempts at repair.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-12-2015   #185
Sam Kanga

M2 and M4-P
Bought used in 1982 and 1991. Blazing fast, quiet, discreet, compact. All I needed for 99% of my work. From shooting Opera singers to the slums of India - my constant companions for over 30 years.

Old 03-12-2015   #186
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Only two of my Leicas are over 50 years old, M2 and IIIa. The latter is proof that they are hopelessly unreliable: a mere 79 years old and after less than thirty years of hard use in my hands (1969-1999, when it was only 33-69 years old) the shutter started misbehaving and has since defied several attempts at repair.

Cheers,

R.
+1 Roger!!! LOL

Dave

Old 03-12-2015   #187
taskoni

In the end of 2013 I have broke and lost my M2s while documenting a massive ethnic street fight in Moscow.. Last year was tough for me but I managed to buy back some Leicas and repair my M2 beater I broke last June in Penang. So now I am back in rff world with multiple M2 cameras, an M4, a IIIf that I've got from a very dear friend ( and it is the most valuable one for that reason and I'll never sell it) and my very first Leica, the R7 Regards, Boris

Old 03-12-2015   #188
Sam Kanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskoni View Post
In the end of 2013 I have broke and lost my M2s while documenting a massive ethnic street fight in Moscow.. Last year was tough for me but I managed to buy back some Leicas and repair my M2 beater I broke last June in Penang. So now I am back in rff world with multiple M2 cameras, an M4, a IIIf that I've got from a very dear friend ( and it is the most valuable one for that reason and I'll never sell it) and my very first Leica, the R7 Regards, Boris
Good news.

Old 03-12-2015   #189
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Boris,

Sorry to hear about your loss of gear and the hardship. It is good to hear that somehow you have somwhat recovered. Thanks for the inspiration of being hard cored.

Cal

Old 03-12-2015   #190
Tony Whitney

Going back to the original question, yes, I have a rather weird and eclectic stable of Leicas. Digilux (original model), Leicina, IIIa, IIIc, V-Lux 3 and M5. In the past I've owned IIIb, Leicaflex SL, Mini, R8, M3, M4-2, M4-P and M6 (several). The best I've ever used? The M5 without question. Cheers...Tony

Old 03-12-2015   #191
taskoni

Quote:
Boris, Sorry to hear about your loss of gear and the hardship. It is good to hear that somehow you have somwhat recovered. Thanks for the inspiration of being hard cored. Cal
Dear Cal, you are the inspiration my friend! I followed your footsteps and sold my old car a few days ago to buy some film for my ongoing project... All set now with a lot of help and support from a friend ( and a rff member) and can't wait to renter the wild.
Walking is fun, I waisted so much time sitting in that damn car...
Regards,

Boris

Old 03-12-2015   #192
dave lackey

Quote:
Dear Cal, you are the inspiration my friend! I followed your footsteps and sold my old car a few days ago to buy some film for my ongoing project... All set now with a lot of help and support from a friend ( and a rff member) and can't wait to renter the wild.
Regards,

Boris
I think the same thing most every day about the car thing!

Dave

Old 03-12-2015   #193
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Regards,

Boris
Boris,

I never knew anyone with a complicated life that was truely happy. Call me simple and single minded, but for me it is easy to be both happy and greatful. In this reguard I think we both are the same.

Cal

Old 03-12-2015   #194
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
I think the same thing most every day about the car thing!
Dave,

There is this saying: "You know you are a hillbilly if half the cars you own aren't running." At one point I owned 4 cars and only two were running, and I was not living in some rural are, I was living in the Long Island suburbs.

One car was a 1967 Ford Falcon that I called the "Dirtbagmobile." On a rainy day I would get wet from puddles because the front passenger was rotted out. The $300.00 bicycle rack on the roof was worth more than the car.

Had a 1984 Jeep Scrambler with a Corvette engine in it. I kinda made a Hum Vee before they were made. My exhaust was loud and many people looked for the musclecar when I raced around and were surprised to see a Jeep.

I had a Saab 900 non turbo as a practical and safe car. Anyways now I'm glad I don't own any. What a headach, what a liability, and what an expense.

Only thing is I'm lucky to live in NYC with a great infrastructure for people like me who don't own cars. To support my camera and photography habit the money has to come from somewhere. I figure I save about $10K a year by not owning a car.

Cal

Old 03-12-2015   #195
FrankS

That 1967 ford Falcon is a classic and could be worth some money.

Old 03-12-2015   #196
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
That's why I'm asking you, the statistics professor, Raid.
I'm just a Software Geek
Estimation of the responses is quite complicated in the case of non-responses. This happens frequently in marketing surveys.

Old 03-12-2015   #197
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
That 1967 ford Falcon is a classic and could be worth some money.
Frank,

Originally this car was owned by a musician friend who gave it to another friend who then gave it to me. I eventually gave the car back after using it for two years or so to the friend who originally gave it to me so ge could give it to another friend who needed a car. This care was literally a free car and not worth very much. It was beyond restoration.

This car was a rat and I'm sure nobody wanted this car parked in front of their house. It had a peculure self surging idle in the summer months, had a particular danger in driving a car that lacked floorboards so badly that it also had the knickname "Flintstone Mobile." When I first got it one rear tire always seemed to be half flat. When I tried to fill the tire to 28 PSI at percisely 26 PSI the tire would go into presure releif mode and go half flat again. Eventually I went to a tire shop and they found the queer problem was caused by rust that was preventing the bead of the tire from fully seating. Every time I tried to fill the tire it seems I was unseating the bead. A liberal amount of bead seal solved the problem.

Also know that I used this vehicle to drive into the luxury community called the Hamptons out on Long Island. I kinda was a hard core biker (bicyclist) and I would have a $3K custom titanium bicycle with a friend's equally expensive titanium bicycle mounted in the $300.00 bike rack that was worth more than the car.

Anyways pulling into the bike shop's parking lot with the Dirtbagmobile was a lot cooler than all the Mercedes and other luxury cars with bike racks. All of the sudden all the girls wearing lycra with the gym bodies was surrounding and laying on the hood of my car. Moral of the story I guess is that investment bankers are kinda boring and not really interesting to rich girls.

Cal

Old 03-12-2015   #198
Travis L.
Registered Userino

IIIa x1
M3 x2
M2 x2
M6TTL x1

Old 03-12-2015   #199
Texsport

Only M3 for now.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 03-12-2015   #200
NaChase

I have two: an M3 and an M6.

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/