Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Is the Sony RX1R II a Leica Q killer ?
No Way - the cameras are substantially different 88 63.77%
Definitely - why buy the more expensive Q now? 50 36.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2020   #121
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I played with a friend's RX1R some years back and came away completely unimpressed. Just didn't talk to me at all, like most Sony gear.

Sony makes good sensors.
Leica makes fine cameras.

I know which I prefer to make photographs with.

G

Old 01-07-2020   #122
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I played with a friend's RX1R some years back and came away completely unimpressed. Just didn't talk to me at all, like most Sony gear.

Sony makes good sensors.
Leica makes fine cameras.

I know which I prefer to make photographs with.

G
Similar experience: played with one at an airport for quite awhile. One of the least ergonomic cameras I've ever held. Combined with its small size but substantial heft, it removed itself from my fantasy list. Thankful for that! This was years a go; maybe the newer ones are better...

Old 01-08-2020   #123
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Likely the usual complaints: menus are just horrendously confusing, interface is in general pretty non-intuitive coming from Ricoh, Nikon, Hasselblad or Leica. Was very hopeful that this would be a good fit for me with it's native square aspect ratio and fixed lens. Super slow start up as well. Just not my cup of tea.

Probably didn't help my opinion that I could not make the thing focus in any mode, nor clear the viewfinder of a layer of "information" more suited to a fighter submarine. Just let me out!

Old 01-08-2020   #124
DwF

It sounds like from your earlier post, you bought the camera. If so, and if you are willing to spend a bit more time before tossing it out the window!
Initial start-up is slow but Leica M10 is not immediate as M cameras of old. Once it's on, start-up from sleep is quicker.
Getting rid of extra info on screen is easy to cycle through and then leave it parked in simple screen mode.
Cycling through ISO if you don't set to auto is quite simple and programming it once will allow quick access actually to ISO and other useful functions.
Auto focus works fine for my purposes, not sure what the issue is there.
Switching to B&W or Vivid should that interest you is a breeze with the thumbwheel.
As for handling, obviously this is personal, but I find with addition of thumbs up (and maybe also a grip), the camera feels really good and is beautifully constructed. Unlike the Leica Q, Sony provides nice molded rubber for the thumb and then for fingers on front of the body. The grip eliminates access on the front side. The RX1RII easily finds a place with any camera I've had for a variety of applications and is nice companion when I want one camera/lens along without taking up much space -to say nothing of image quality.

David

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3ca46285_o.jpg

Old 01-08-2020   #125
Ted Striker
-

For the life of me, I can't imagine at all being confused by a camera menu. Do people really give up that easily?

Old 01-08-2020   #126
raid
Dad Photographer

Yes, they usually do, Ted.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-08-2020   #127
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Rubber? Does Q has any? Any camera with rubber ending up looking slightly trashed due to white on the rubber. They say here is cure for it, but...

Old 01-08-2020   #128
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
For the life of me, I can't imagine at all being confused by a camera menu. Do people really give up that easily?
After having set multiple things three times without effect, yes.

Not worth the effort for me. Even worse than the XPro2, which I reluctantly keep around despite touching it and having settings change.

Old 01-08-2020   #129
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwF View Post
It sounds like from your earlier post, you bought the camera. If so, and if you are willing to spend a bit more time before tossing it out the window!
Initial start-up is slow but Leica M10 is not immediate as M cameras of old. Once it's on, start-up from sleep is quicker.
Getting rid of extra info on screen is easy to cycle through and then leave it parked in simple screen mode.
Cycling through ISO if you don't set to auto is quite simple and programming it once will allow quick access actually to ISO and other useful functions.
Auto focus works fine for my purposes, not sure what the issue is there.
Switching to B&W or Vivid should that interest you is a breeze with the thumbwheel.
As for handling, obviously this is personal, but I find with addition of thumbs up (and maybe also a grip), the camera feels really good and is beautifully constructed. Unlike the Leica Q, Sony provides nice molded rubber for the thumb and then for fingers on front of the body. The grip eliminates access on the front side. The RX1RII easily finds a place with any camera I've had for a variety of applications and is nice companion when I want one camera/lens along without taking up much space -to say nothing of image quality.

David

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3ca46285_o.jpg
No, not worth the effort here. I'm close enough to done that I really don't want more frustration.

Old 01-08-2020   #130
benlees

Quote:
All of technology (and I mean from stone tools on up) is about convenience. You make something that the old thing does but make it faster and easier to use then that's 'better'.

Modern camera makers also aspire to 'more'. If convenience gets lost because of 'more' becomes 'too much' then they have broken the technology covenant. People really want less choice. Sadly, this almost always means a much higher price tag.

Old 01-08-2020   #131
DwF

Bob,

I understand, no worries here but hope you find something that works for you. I will say FWIW the X-113 Leica (also fixed lens) is way easier to operate and a very nice sleeper of a camera.

David

Old 01-09-2020   #132
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I do like the X cameras a lot, but no native square. I know just cropping after the fact is a thing, but I like composing squares in camera.

Old 01-09-2020   #133
Michael Markey

Quote:
Seems to be a reoccurring theme.
I`m all for simplicity and as a Sony user am the first to admit their menu`s are messy but eventually you work through it.
My Canon`s are simple in comparison and my film M`s simpler still

Old 01-09-2020   #134
Ted Striker
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Seems to be a reoccurring theme.
I`m all for simplicity and as a Sony user am the first to admit their menu`s are messy but eventually you work through it.
My Canon`s are simple in comparison and my film M`s simpler still

I' own Canon, Sigma, and various Fujifilm digital cameras. All of their menus are different, as are the physical controls. It takes a short time to get used to it, but in every case, it's entirely manageable. I just can't understand those who whine and cry about camera menus. They just arent that hard.

Old 01-09-2020   #135
DwF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I do like the X cameras a lot, but no native square. I know just cropping after the fact is a thing, but I like composing squares in camera.
Ah, Bob, I forgot you mentioned the "square" and have enjoyed many of your images here on the forum. Not recalling square format, I went to your web-page....nice work!

I see now why Sony RX1R popped up for you. In fact in some weird way, even though I don't set for square format that camera has always reminded me of the Rollei. It's just something in the quality of how the images render.

Anyway cheers!
David

Old 01-09-2020   #136
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
I just can't understand those who whine and cry about camera menus. They just arent that hard.
Sorry, I’ll try to be harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwF View Post
Ah, Bob, I forgot you mentioned the "square" and have enjoyed many of your images here on the forum. Not recalling square format, I went to your web-page....nice work!

I see now why Sony RX1R popped up for you. In fact in some weird way, even though I don't set for square format that camera has always reminded me of the Rollei. It's just something in the quality of how the images render.

Anyway cheers!
David
Thank you. I too liked what I saw from the camera (online anyway). Zeiss glass, so I guess it’s in the genes. Just too dumb for so many of these new “features”. The main reason I like the Leica and X1D, they ignore most of what cameras have become. I guess I will just not bother with something small for now.

Old 01-10-2020   #137
Michael Markey

Quote:
I' own Canon, Sigma, and various Fujifilm digital cameras. All of their menus are different, as are the physical controls. It takes a short time to get used to it, but in every case, it's entirely manageable. I just can't understand those who whine and cry about camera menus. They just arent that hard.
Totally agree .