Lens dot color difference
Old 12-17-2019   #1
Asim

Lens dot color difference

I just bought a used Elmarit 28 2.8 Asph. Today I noticed that lens mounting dot on my 50mm Summilux Aspherical looks orange in front of the cherry red colored mounting dot on the Elmarit 28.

Is it normal to have these color variations on non-special edition Leica lenses?

Old 12-17-2019   #2
peterm1

I suspect there may be some variation over time within leica but some after market dots have also been available from time to time. The original dots now and then do come off and require replacing. I know I have had it happen to me. In my case I could not find a legit replacement so I bought a pack of dressmakers pins - the kind with little round plastic colored dots on top. I sliced a red topped pin "dot" in half with a dremel tool and replaced the missing Leica dot with that by epoxying it in place here the original one should be.

In any event so long as it is present, I would not worry too much about it.

Old 12-17-2019   #3
farlymac
PF McFarland

I replaced the dot on one of my lenses, and it definitely is a bit orange. But it doesn't bother me.

PF

Old 12-17-2019   #4
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

you can get a replacement red dot from Leica, for free. I did this a few years ago, and the contact person then was Dave Elwell. I don't know if he is still there, and I don't know the phone number any more, but someone here will know.