Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do you have dreams about your cameras?
Yes, I have had dreams about my cameras 74 42.05%
Yes, but only after eating lots of spicy foods. 3 1.70%
Daydreams only. 60 34.09%
I’ve never had a dream about my cameras. No way, no how. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 39 22.16%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2007   #41
NIKON KIU
Did you say Nippon Kogaku

Hey Scott,
where is "I dream about camera I don't have" option?

Kiu

Old 04-27-2007   #42
NIKON KIU
Did you say Nippon Kogaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
I had the first dream last night involving cameras that I can remember. I was watching (from a higher vantage point) a wedding photographer who was using a Mamiya 330 with flash bracket and flash bulbs. He was directing a large wedding party including children, all on or around a bicycle on a road. He had them ride towards him while he was walking backwards and taking pictures. Then everyone tripped and fell. I raised the Nikon 801s hanging around my neck, removed the lens cap of the AF Nikkor 50 f1.8 and took a picture of the spectacle. The members of the wedding party were very unhappy with the wedding photographer. Weird.
What did you have for dinner that night?
My first real Nikon was N8008

Kiu

Old 04-27-2007   #43
rich815

I often scan a roll or a few frames of MF just before bed. Then once in bed I read a book for a few minutes til I get drowsy. Then lights out, fluff the pillow, snuggle in, and then go over in my mind that night's scans, think about how they worked, how they didn't, which film I used, the developer, did that combo work, how did the camera perform, the lighting, the lens.......and then before I know it.......ZZZZzzzzzzzz

Old 05-08-2011   #44
bgb

In this dream i was setting up a large format camera which is odd as i have never used a large format camera ... anyway i could not get the silly thing in focus and the movements were all messed up and the dark cover thing kept getting in the way, add to that i could not figure how the film holders went into the back. Basically a complete mess as the all the good light and any hope of an image slipped away.
I would really like to try large format but that dream might just come true

Old 05-08-2011   #45
bayusuputra
BFA or BSc?

i just had it last night.. I opened up my mailbox (in my dream) and it was full of camera accessories, including some holgas and BBFs.. Was quite excited until i realized it was just a dream.. I think it's because i've been waiting for the light meter and step up ring to arrive since two weeks ago..

Old 05-09-2011   #46
bizarrius
the great

i dream of removing the vulcanite,
changing lenses.
I even dream of putting the lens on the tripod mount.

(too politically incorrect? sorry )

i am here: some instagram work

Old 05-09-2011   #47
TaoPhoto
Documentary Photographer

I have camera related dreams every now and again. Usually they're either about equipment that I'm thinking of buying or just bought, or they are about being unprepared in some way. I had one the other night that I was shooting an event, a wedding I think, when I found that I had no film in my camera, and that the camera had no back, and that the lens was falling off.

I had another that I was in the trenches in WWI, camera in hand with a big flash bulb gun attached, and I kept trying to take a picture of the battle. But every time I fired the flash, a bomb exploded nearby, almost killing us. After a couple of tries, the guys in the trench wouldn't let me shoot any more pictures.

Weird stuff, those dreams.

Old 05-09-2011   #48
Roberto V.
Le surrčalisme, c'est moi

I can remember three dreams about cameras.
In the first one, I had a screwmount Canon RF, looked like a P or L1, with a 50mm f/1.2. for some reason, I just knew they were the best camera and lens that money could buy. It was a fact.
Second one: I was at home depot buying stuff, when I walk into an aisle, and spot a bunch of cameras on the bottom shelf. They were all Canon EOS SLRs. They were all in mint condition, and one was brand new in the box. They had actual Canon model names, Like EOS 5 and EOS 3, but they were completely different cameras. They were the perfect SLRs, with anything one could ever wish for. And the most expensive one was $30! I drove to the bank to withdraw a lot of money to buy them all, and then I woke up
In the third dream I had a Konica Hexar RF and a Zeiss Planar 50mm ZM in the bookcase where I keep my cameras.

flickr
My RFF gallery

Old 05-09-2011   #49
pixelatedscraps

Similar to Mike with the dreams about not having a camera in the right moment...I have also had the kid in the candy store dream where I look up and around me and all I see are shelves of gleaming film cameras...

Aauuwwwrrhhh.

iMac Pro 10-core, 64Gb, 1Tb, Vega 56 | Mac Pro 5,1 2x 3.33Ghz, 64Gb, 480Gb SSD PCIe, 500Gb SSD, 2x 4Tb HDD, RX 560 2Gb, USB-C, EIZO CS2730

PLAY
Mamiya 6 | 50/4 | 75/3.5
Leica M4 | 35mm f2.8 Summaron
Kodak Retina IIc | 50mm f2 Xenon
Olympus XA4
Yashica T4 Super

Old 05-09-2011   #50
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I can't recall any sleeping camera dreams. I don't remember most of my dreams.
But at work nearly every night I find myself daydreaming about my Bessa R.
In the past it was my Canon P; before that my Konica Auto S2.
No doubt RFF is to blame...

Chris

Wet dreams (a.k.a. nocturnal emulsions)
Old 05-09-2011   #51
crawdiddy
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Wet dreams (a.k.a. nocturnal emulsions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
Yeah, but only about Nikons, and never wet dreams anyway
Sorry, but somebody had to say it.

Old 11-21-2019   #52
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I don’t recall ever dreaming about a camera before; before last night that is.

I dreamt that I was out and about and when I returned to my car sitting in the front seat was a new-in-box special edition “olive green” color Fujifilm X-Pro3 camera set. I looked around to see if I could spot whoever left it there. Nobody stood out. I opened the box and inside was a beautiful olive green X-Pro3 camera, silver lens and matching hood, it was gorgeous. As I pondered what to do about this mystery camera my wife’s alarm clock went off and I woke up. It seemed so real, except the part about the car, I no longer own a car.

The camera, it looked so beautiful in my dream, it made me wish that it was real. I do have a Bessa “T” olive green anniversary set, and I have always admired other olive green cameras.

Hey! Fujifilm! If you follow this forum give it some thought.

All the best,
Mike

Old 11-21-2019   #53
pyeh

Do Robot cameras dream of colour film?

Old 11-21-2019   #54
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

About a year ago I dreamt I was using a Kodak K100 ciné camera (which I don't have). It was a nice dream and I wrote about it in another forum, but now I can't find it.

Old 11-22-2019   #55
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Do Robot cameras dream of colour film?
Yeah, they might... More likely than dreaming of electric sheep!

Old 11-22-2019   #56
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

oh absolutely, the amount of great pictures i have taken while asleep!
i had my Ms fixed for quite a bit of cash this year and just recently i had a dream that two of them were broken again. i was pissed off but so relieved when i woke up.

Old 11-22-2019   #57
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

i almost forgot. i actually had a dream last night about buying a beat-up, (non-existing) modified leica screw mount camera from a café / bar owner for ~250 dollars because it had an early ltm 35mm f1.9 summicron on it. my plan was to sell the camera and put the lens on my m2 but had to stop at a friend's house by a lake and then i woke up. dreams are stupid!

Old 11-22-2019   #58
robert blu
quiet photographer

It's always nice and interesting to see an old thread ressurrect!

I only had daydream about cameras, never night dreams!

When I was young my dream was to have a Nikon (Antonioni's Blow Up effect!) which I could not afford in that time. I bought my first Nikon many decades later...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-22-2019   #59
pyeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Yeah, they might... More likely than dreaming of electric sheep!
Yes, it was a poor conflation of two dreaming tropes on my part.

Old 11-22-2019   #60
B-9
Devin Bro

All the time,

Typically not cameras that exist.

More conglomerations of bits and pieces of other cameras not so elegantly smashed together by my mind.

Sometimes I’m buying - sometimes I’m being given - others I rescue - some I steal!

Muahaha

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 11-22-2019   #61
narsuitus

I never had dreams about cameras until I stopped sleeping with them.

Old 11-22-2019   #62
Bendj

I have had some very vivid dreams about my leaving a pricey camera somewhere and then running back to the scene praying it is still there. I wake up before getting it back.

Old 11-22-2019   #63
CharlesDAMorgan

No, not once in my recollection.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 11-22-2019   #64
bcostin

Strangely enough I had one last night. I was on vacation and was using my Ricoh GR II when I noticed the screen protector was wrinkled and loose. I pulled it off and the whole camera fell apart! I was quite annoyed because it was the only camera I had with me (obviously not a very realistic dream).

But when I got back to my hotel there was a brand new model Ricoh GR 5 someone had given me. It was shiny gold, twice as large as the real GR, and had a twist-body sort of like the old CoolPix cameras. Wow, they've made lots of changes, I thought.

It was great to have a new camera...but I wasn't sure I liked it. And then I woke up.

Old 11-22-2019   #65
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I have recently had a few dreams of shooting with my motion picture cameras. It's my subconscious self trying to do maintenance by dreaming of the things I want to be doing but have no time. I have about 65 feet left on a roll of expired Plus-X reversal that I need to finish shooting. With the weather getting worse lately, it's going to be hard exposing slow film. Maybe it's time to learn that new (to me) Angenieux 25mm f/.95...
Phil Forrest

Old 11-22-2019   #66
Chris101
summicronia

I have a recurring dream about a particular camera. In 1985 my studio was burgled, and several cameras, lenses, a computer, and other equipment were stolen. Including my Mamiya 645, which I bought when they first came out. It had a 35mm f/3.5 lens, which on that format is a superwide (about 20mm equivalent.) I loved that camera.

When it was stolen, I bought another 645 with the insurance money, but got a 45mm f/2.8 lens instead. It was fine, but I just never developed the same affection for it as I had for the original, perhaps because I had moved on, and got a job unrelated to photography.

About the same time that I bought the replacement camera, I had a dream that I found my old camera in a thrift shop, and it was only $10! I didn't buy it, but I awoke very excited and happy. Since then, I have had similar variations of that dream, always involving the old 645, about every other year. In the dream, I see the camera somewhere, and then wake up happy. I also had two Canon A-1 cameras with half a dozen lenses stolen at the same time, and later a Leica and two Nikons and my replacement Mamiya were stolen but I never dream about them at all.

Weird, huh? I had this dream a few months ago over the summer. It's been three and a half decades since it was stolen - ya'd think I'd be over it by now! But it still makes me happy to see it around, so I'm fine with this recurring dream.

Old 11-22-2019   #67
peterm1

I am an android. I only dream of electric cameras.

Old 11-22-2019   #68
Archiver

When I used the Ricoh GRD III as my everyday camera, I would often dream about seeing something interesting and taking out the Ricoh to shoot it. In real life, this was often the case, and so reflexive an action that it came into my dreams as well. It's the only camera about which I dreamed with any regularity, and even cameras like my M9, which I adore, hardly ever made it into my dreams.

Since then, I've replaced the GRD III with other cameras, but none of them have turned up in dreams in the same way.

Recently, I dreamed that I was shooting with my old Canon G10 (10mp small sensor zoom camera that Canon made look like a little rangefinder). Then I lost it or it disappeared, and I was looking for it. Strange one.

Old 11-22-2019   #69
besk

I wish I didn't but I do.

Old 11-22-2019   #70
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
Weird, huh? I had this dream a few months ago over the summer. It's been three and a half decades since it was stolen - ya'd think I'd be over it by now! But it still makes me happy to see it around, so I'm fine with this recurring dream.
That actually is interesting, though hard for me to understand why you'd be happy. Clearly, the camera and that lens is something you felt strongly about and became emotionally attached to. If I were a Mystic Psychic Dream Analyzer, I'd say the camera is telling you
it's been sold and has found a new life making photos.

Old 11-22-2019   #71
farlymac
PF McFarland

I've had a few dreams. In one I lost a camera kit, and in another I found one, but I don't remember which one I dreamed first.

In another dream, I found a camera shop that had just the most eclectic inventory you could find anywhere. I went around the corner to a bank to check my account limit, and when I went back, I couldn't find the shop.

PF

Old 11-23-2019   #72
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:

When it was stolen, I bought another 645 with the insurance money, but got a 45mm f/2.8 lens instead. It was fine, but I just never developed the same affection for it as I had for the original, perhaps because I had moved on, and got a job unrelated to photography.

About the same time that I bought the replacement camera, I had a dream that I found my old camera in a thrift shop, and it was only $10! I didn't buy it, but I awoke very excited and happy. Since then, I have had similar variations of that dream, always involving the old 645, about every other year. In the dream, I see the camera somewhere, and then wake up happy. I also had two Canon A-1 cameras with half a dozen lenses stolen at the same time, and later a Leica and two Nikons and my replacement Mamiya were stolen but I never dream about them at all.

Weird, huh?
I think the dream about the 645 probably is sufficient to represent all your other losses as well, making it unnecessary to dream about the others.

Old 11-23-2019   #73
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
That actually is interesting, though hard for me to understand why you'd be happy. Clearly, the camera and that lens is something you felt strongly about and became emotionally attached to. If I were a Mystic Psychic Dream Analyzer, I'd say the camera is telling you
it's been sold and has found a new life making photos.
The dream could possibly represent another loss, non-camera related. Like maybe the loss of a relationship? The dream could then be reassuring, fulfilling a wish that a significant other has found a new life? I don't know Chris. It's just a guess.

Old 11-28-2019   #74
Ricoh

No one mentioned 'Wet Dreams' yet, you know 'developing and printing' and all that darkroom stuff. ��

Old 11-28-2019   #75
Richard G

N.o.

Nor about any other cameras.

I am astonished there is this thread and it has so many positive responders.

Obviously I am not taking photography or my gear seriously enough.

Old 11-28-2019   #76
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Good God, no!!

Bunch of Nikon and Fuji X digital stuff
introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 11-28-2019   #77
Archiver

Quote:

Recurring pleasant dreams are often because you have fond memories of that object, person or time. You probably had more of an emotional connection with that camera than the others.

As for the others being stolen, WTH is up with that? How come you've had so much gear stolen?

Old 11-28-2019   #78
james.liam

I have better things to dream about than cameras.

Old 11-29-2019   #79
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Whatever dream you have, it can always be improved if there's a camera in it.

Old 11-30-2019   #80
Ambro51
Collector/Photographer

I used to have a “missing the re-enactment “ dream, n which I’m frantically getting my wet plate gear packed or moved...as I’m missing the event.