Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 09-29-2019   #81
victoriapio

Chris
Wonderful! Love the portrait of your son. Keep clicking ....

Old 10-15-2019   #82
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriapio View Post
Chris
Wonderful! Love the portrait of your son. Keep clicking ....
Thanks, OC. I've been shooting a lot the last couple weeks but am behind in getting stuff scanned. Here's a new one with the 35mm Elmar.

This bicycle was chained to a bike rack in front of The Big Eyed Fish, a restaurant on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. A number of bike racks like this one have been installed along Wells Street in recent years as part of the effort to rejuvenate the neighborhood.

The Pantry, one of Fort Wayne's rougher bars, (lots of stabbings and a few shootings over the years) is visible across the street.

Old 10-15-2019   #83
CharlesDAMorgan

Lovely. I shall use my Elmar 3.5cm a bit more often when my VIOOH finder turns up.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 10-15-2019   #84
Erik van Straten

Great picture!

Yes, the Elmar 35mm is a great lens, better in fact than the 50mm ...

Erik.

Old 10-15-2019   #85
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Charles and Erik,

I love the 35 Elmar's rendering. I'd read so much bad stuff about it online that when I got it I figured that I'd eventually need to come up with the money for a 'better' lens like the 35mm Summaron.

I didn't get to try it for a couple weeks because I had to buy a finder to use with it, and when I finally did I was blown away by the excellent image quality. I don't know what advantage I'd see from a Summaron, and they're pretty expensive.

I would like to try a 50mm Elmar. My 50mm is the Summitar, another under-rated lens. It is incredibly sharp and has nice bokeh. I think its better than most modern 50s in overall rendering. I've always liked Tessar lenses, though, so I may buy a 50mm Elmar someday just to try.

Old 10-15-2019   #86
gnuyork

I've never tried the Elmar, but I do like the Summaron 3.5 a lot. I borrowed one when I got my first Leica and I didn't have lens for it yet.

I do have a 50 Summitar that came on my IIIF that I got as a craiglist lot (of like 30 cameras). This thread reminds me I need to get the IIIF cleaned and serviced so I can give it a go... Just been a busy summer is all.

Chris, have you gotten used to looking through the tiny viewfinder? I'm not sure I could, but we'll see.

Old 10-15-2019   #87
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Very good quality. I could only imagine how it turns on C-41 film.

Old 10-15-2019   #88
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I've never tried the Elmar, but I do like the Summaron 3.5 a lot. I borrowed one when I got my first Leica and I didn't have lens for it yet.

I do have a 50 Summitar that came on my IIIF that I got as a craiglist lot (of like 30 cameras). This thread reminds me I need to get the IIIF cleaned and serviced so I can give it a go... Just been a busy summer is all.

Chris, have you gotten used to looking through the tiny viewfinder? I'm not sure I could, but we'll see.

The built-in finder only covers 50mm lenses. I don't like it; it is not just because it is small. The edges are fuzzy, making framing hard, and it is not very accurate.

Because OC had given me a 35mm lens and a 135mm lens, in addition to a 50mm lens, I needed accessory finders for the other focal lengths. I ended up getting a Leica VIOOH universal finder that was made around the same time as the camera. It has built-in masks for 35, 50, 85, 90, and 135mm lenses; and it has parallax correction.

The VIOOH is far better than the built in finder. The edges are sharp, and the framing quite accurate. The 50mm setting gives a larger view than the built in finder, too. So I just use it for all of my lenses.

Old 10-15-2019   #89
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
The Canon accessory finder that automatically corrects parallax is neat; too bad Leica never had something like that.

The Leica Universal Finder (VIOOH) that I have doesn't have any coupling to the camera to tell it what the focused distance is. Instead, there's a lever on the back to turn to select a distance for parallax correction. It works, but only if you remember to set it each time you photograph something at a different distance. I found myself sometimes forgetting. The framing is very accurate when I set it right.

I decided to kit out the IIIf with all Leica lenses, so I went shopping around and came up with two Elmar's, the 50/2.8 and 90/4vII. Then I realized that my VIOOH was in meters, while the lenses were in feet, and I didn't really want to get into all that converting on the fly when things might get busy, so after finding a Summaron 35/3.5 in feet I ordered another VIOOH to match the "new" lenses.

The older finder actually needed replacement anyway as I got it from a friend who had broken the prism which I glued back together, but it was never right after that. The replacement just needs to have the haze cleaned out.

I've got a zoom finder for the Nikon S2, but can't say as I like the sighting any better than the VIOOH, but it is a lighter package on top the camera.

I really like what you're getting with the 3.5 Elmar. It's a fine lens, and the only reason I went with the 2.8 is the E39 filters don't interfere with the aperture adjustment. Only the darn 90/4 is A36 like the Summaron. So I still had to order one of those FIKUS hoods I'd been avoiding.

As soon as RED Oktober is over I'll switch from the Zorki-1e/J-8 combo to the real Leica IIIf experience.

You just keep enjoying that rig of yours, Chris. It suits you well.

PF

Old 10-15-2019   #90
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
I decided to kit out the IIIf with all Leica lenses, so I went shopping around and came up with two Elmar's, the 50/2.8 and 90/4vII. Then I realized that my VIOOH was in meters, while the lenses were in feet, and I didn't really want to get into all that converting on the fly when things might get busy, so after finding a Summaron 35/3.5 in feet I ordered another VIOOH to match the "new" lenses.

The older finder actually needed replacement anyway as I got it from a friend who had broken the prism which I glued back together, but it was never right after that. The replacement just needs to have the haze cleaned out.

I've got a zoom finder for the Nikon S2, but can't say as I like the sighting any better than the VIOOH, but it is a lighter package on top the camera.

I really like what you're getting with the 3.5 Elmar. It's a fine lens, and the only reason I went with the 2.8 is the E39 filters don't interfere with the aperture adjustment. Only the darn 90/4 is A36 like the Summaron. So I still had to order one of those FIKUS hoods I'd been avoiding.

As soon as RED Oktober is over I'll switch from the Zorki-1e/J-8 combo to the real Leica IIIf experience.

You just keep enjoying that rig of yours, Chris. It suits you well.

PF

Thanks, Farlymac. I'm probably going to stick to all Leica lenses, too (except my 135, which is a Canon).

The only lens I really want now is a 90mm Elmar. I tried to buy one recently but could not find one that wasn't full of haze or fungus. The lenses I have now are free of haze, because OC had them cleaned professionally before he gave them to me. I just hate to buy a lens that would cost me $200 or so then have to pay more to get it cleaned and wait weeks for the repairman to feel like doing the work. Hopefully, I'll find one someone has had cleaned and will sell at a reasonable price.

The filter sizes on lenses don't really matter to me, as I never use filters. Really! I've never used filters for BW film. Plus, the 50mm Summitar lens i have doesn't even have filter threads. I think there's a filter holder that Leica made that is required to use filters on that lens.

The only thing I don't like about the 35mm Elmar is that it has the fiddly aperture setting tab around the front lens element instead of a normal aperture ring. That's the one thing a Summaron would offer me.

Old 10-15-2019   #91
CharlesDAMorgan

There is one thing to be said for the aperture controls on the early lenses though - you can't easily move them by mistake, as I often do with the later ones.

That said, the Summaron is a beautiful lens, I love the rendering and it has probably given me the photo I adore more than others. Can't wait to get mine back from a service.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 10-16-2019   #92
Erik van Straten

Here's a bike shot with the 35mm Elmar (nickel uncoated) by me. Includes a rough pub too.

Leica M2, Elmar 35mm f/3.5, 400-2TMY/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 10-16-2019   #93
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Here's a bike shot with the 35mm Elmar (nickel uncoated) by me. Includes a rough pub too.

Leica M2, Elmar 35mm f/3.5, 400-2TMY/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Cool photo!

Did the bike fall down drunk? lol

Old 10-16-2019   #94
Erik van Straten

Thank you, Chris!

Erik.

Old 10-16-2019   #95
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another photo of Sneaky. I shot this one with the 50mm Summitar on Ilford Delta 400. For those who don't know about my cat, you can see more photos of him and read his story here:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168651

Old 10-16-2019   #96
Bill Clark

Looks like you’re having fun with your Barnack.

I call it my pocket camera!

Nice photos.

Old 10-16-2019   #97
gnuyork

Quote:

Another photo of Sneaky. I shot this one with the 50mm Summitar on Ilford Delta 400. For those who don't know about my cat, you can see more photos of him and read his story here:

Wow! Fantastic range in this photo...looking forward to trying my Summitar...

Here is one form my borrowed Summaron (3.5) shot with my M6 on Tri-X

Old 10-16-2019   #98
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Wow! Fantastic range in this photo...looking forward to trying my Summitar...

Here is one form my borrowed Summaron (3.5) shot with my M6 on Tri-X

Captured the excitement of the fans well!

I think you'll like the Summitar. Wide open it is soft at the edges but it is EXTREMELY sharp in the center. Stopped down, the edges get sharp too. I think its better than most modern 50mm SLR lenses I have used. Mine was cleaned by DAG so it has no haze, which many of them have, and the front element is pristine. Many of them have scratched front elements, which may affect image quality. I'm lucky to have one that is in such wonderful condition.

Old 10-16-2019   #99
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:

This is a beautiful photo! Love the tones and the rendering. Of course a nice subject helps :-)

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 10-16-2019   #100
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
This is a beautiful photo! Love the tones and the rendering. Of course a nice subject helps :-)

robert
Sneaky is the best subject. Of course, all Leica users are required to use their Leicas to photograph cats.

Old 10-16-2019   #101
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Shot with the 50mm Summitar on Delta 400. The lens showed no flare despite facing slightly toward the sun!

This is Lower Huntington Road in Waynedale, the part of Fort Wayne where I grew up, and where I live today. Waynedale was founded in the early 1920s by Abner Elzey, the man whose name is inscribed on these buildings, which were among the first to be built in the new town. In 1957, Waynedale's residents voted to join the city of Fort Wayne.

Despite having been part of Fort Wayne longer than it was an independent town, Waynedale still looks like a small town and has a small town culture. Lower Huntington Road is Waynedale's "Main Street." Most of the businesses there are still small locally owned companies.

Old 10-16-2019   #102
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another from Waynedale. My son gets his hair cut at this barbershop. I don't get haircuts, my hair is so long it almost reaches my waist!

I shot this with the 50mm Summitar.

Old 10-16-2019   #103
mcfingon
Western Australia

Chris, this is one of my favourite shots using an Elmar 50/3.5 (1946, coated) on my Leica III of two French girls travelling back to Paris who were leaving after visiting my hometown.

Leica III Elmar 50/3.5 on Delta 100 in ID-11
John Mc

Old 10-16-2019   #104
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Thanks, Farlymac. I'm probably going to stick to all Leica lenses, too (except my 135, which is a Canon).

The only lens I really want now is a 90mm Elmar. I tried to buy one recently but could not find one that wasn't full of haze or fungus. The lenses I have now are free of haze, because OC had them cleaned professionally before he gave them to me. I just hate to buy a lens that would cost me $200 or so then have to pay more to get it cleaned and wait weeks for the repairman to feel like doing the work. Hopefully, I'll find one someone has had cleaned and will sell at a reasonable price.

The filter sizes on lenses don't really matter to me, as I never use filters. Really! I've never used filters for BW film. Plus, the 50mm Summitar lens i have doesn't even have filter threads. I think there's a filter holder that Leica made that is required to use filters on that lens.

The only thing I don't like about the 35mm Elmar is that it has the fiddly aperture setting tab around the front lens element instead of a normal aperture ring. That's the one thing a Summaron would offer me.
I don't use filters much either, but every once in a while I like to add some contrast, or do some experimenting. The thing with the 39mm filter mounts on 35 and 50mm lenses is there is a separate aperture control ring, so if you're even just using a hood, you don't have to remove it to change the aperture setting.

On your Summitar it has a proprietary filter mount that is sort of cone shaped, but you can get an adapter to go from Summitar to 39mm. https://kenrockwell.com/leica/50mm-f2-summitar.htm

PF

Old 10-17-2019   #105
farlymac
PF McFarland

Oh, and I ordered an E39 model Elmar 90/4, so my A36 version will be expendable. If it's any good (haven't test shot it yet, but it looks clean), I'll send it your way, Chris.

PF

Old 10-17-2019   #106
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Oh, and I ordered an E39 model Elmar 90/4, so my A36 version will be expendable. If it's any good (haven't test shot it yet, but it looks clean), I'll send it your way, Chris.

PF
Awesome! Thank you

Old 10-18-2019   #107
css9450

Quote:
I don't get haircuts, my hair is so long it almost reaches my waist!

Cool! I had no idea.... We might be twins!

Old 10-19-2019   #108
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Cool! I had no idea.... We might be twins!

An old photo of me from 2007, but my hair looks the same. I have a long beard now!

Old 10-26-2019   #109
p81

Few weeks ago I looked for some Zorkis and found a relatively cheap Leica IIIa. After few days I knew, why it was so cheap. The Vulcolan-Cover fell off the body, so I decided to make a new custom cover out of genuine leather.
And while making a new cover it also get a beam split mirror... YEES it isn't originally then but hey, it feels so much more nice when you touch it. Now I have to shoot the second film...

Old 10-27-2019   #110
shawn

Quote:
On your Summitar it has a proprietary filter mount that is sort of cone shaped, but you can get an adapter to go from Summitar to 39mm. https://kenrockwell.com/leica/50mm-f2-summitar.htm
Just as another option my Summitar came with a Kodak adapter that is push on and fits fine. Kodak Series VI adapter Ring 1 5/8 in - 41mm.

Shawn

Old 10-29-2019   #111
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Still having fun with the Leica! This was shot with the 50mm Summitar on Tmax 400.

This woman is kayaking on the Saint Marys River at the new Promenade Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. She's photographing something with her cellphone.

Old 10-29-2019   #112
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:

Still having fun with the Leica! This was shot with the 50mm Summitar on Tmax 400.

This woman is kayaking on the Saint Marys River at the new Promenade Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. She's photographing something with her cellphone.
Nice to know you enjoy your Leica! Good photo, I like the tones you get from the Tmax 400

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 10-29-2019   #113
CharlesDAMorgan

Looks like PMK Pyro developing too - lovely!

Old 10-29-2019   #114
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Looks like PMK Pyro developing too - lovely!

Actually its D-76 1+1, believe it or not.

Old 10-29-2019   #115
CharlesDAMorgan

Oh well...

Old 10-29-2019   #116
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Oh well...

lol

Old 11-17-2019   #117
victoriapio

Quote:
Actually its D-76 1+1, believe it or not.
That was always my favorite developer and ratio. I am marveling at the tonality of your images Chris, especially online. It appears you perfected your film-to-digital process!

Keep clicking ...

Old 11-17-2019   #118
farlymac
PF McFarland

That Summitar is one fine lens. A member from another forum wants to sell me his, but it's on the wait list for now. Another member always got wonderful results with his so I've wanted to get one if I ever got a III(_) camera.

Got my first roll from the IIIf back, Chris, and something is wrong. I've got a light leak from in front of the film, so will have to do some research on that one. Haven't tested the 90's yet, so will get on that right away.

Also found out why it takes so long to get my stuff back from the camera shop: they send the rolls to Dwayne's! Heck, I could do that and save myself a half tank of gas and four hours of driving time to boot.

PF

Old 11-17-2019   #119
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
That Summitar is one fine lens. A member from another forum wants to sell me his, but it's on the wait list for now. Another member always got wonderful results with his so I've wanted to get one if I ever got a III(_) camera.

Got my first roll from the IIIf back, Chris, and something is wrong. I've got a light leak from in front of the film, so will have to do some research on that one. Haven't tested the 90's yet, so will get on that right away.

Also found out why it takes so long to get my stuff back from the camera shop: they send the rolls to Dwayne's! Heck, I could do that and save myself a half tank of gas and four hours of driving time to boot.

PF

You've probably got a shutter curtain with holes, that where Barnacks usually leak.

Doesn't surprise me the store sends film to Dwayne's. Here in Indiana there are two labs I know of that can do C-41 and none doing E-6 anymore. I don't know if anyone does B&W. So pretty much any place that offers film developing has to send it far away.

Old 11-18-2019   #120
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriapio View Post
That was always my favorite developer and ratio. I am marveling at the tonality of your images Chris, especially online. It appears you perfected your film-to-digital process!

Keep clicking ...

Thanks, OC. I think D-76 1+1 is the best for most films, too. I especially like it for Tmax 100, Tmax 400, and Tri-X. Wonderful tonality from those films in D-76.