Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Is this separation?
Old 11-01-2019   #1
Soder

Is this separation?

hello everyone, could someone look at this video and tell me if this is some seperation? I just bought this lens, and am panicking right now, as it looks like edge seperation. or maybe just some haze..? https://youtu.be/BbAK1xMfwW0

Old 11-01-2019   #2
Lewis Francis

I can't tell at the 144p resolution available -- is a higher res version forthcoming?

Old 11-01-2019   #3
Soder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Francis View Post
I can't tell at the 144p resolution available -- is a higher res version forthcoming?
Uff. i can't believe it did that.. I guess I don't have a video recorder of any better quality. I just checked and if you set it to "mini player" the rainbow effect / frosting on edges is visible. I'm sorry for the horrible quality. .

Old 11-01-2019   #4
bcostin

From your description it sounds like it could be separation, but it's difficult to tell. Have you tried the lens yet?

Old 11-02-2019   #5
farlymac
PF McFarland

When you think about it, separation around the edge usually has no or very little effect unless you are constantly shooting wide open. One of my rf Nikkors has separation, and from my photos you'd never know it.

PF

Old 11-03-2019   #6
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
When you think about it, separation around the edge usually has no or very little effect unless you are constantly shooting wide open. One of my rf Nikkors has separation, and from my photos you'd never know it.

PF
True, but it has significant impact on resale if you’re honest when the time comes to pass it on...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 11-03-2019   #7
Soder

I'm one to admit, for scanning and computer viewing, i wouldn't have any problem using such a lens. However, i'm enlarging optically quite largely. I feel as thought if the surface area of transmitting light is reduced, then over all "resolution" is reduced, and i payed a premium for this lens.. My second concern is, i'm not a collector, i'm a shooter, and now that this has started, who says it's going to stop? I just had a horrible experience with my precious 1.5 sonnar decementing. agghhh that lens was amazing.. Nothing to be done, the whole element decemented. Thanks for all the comments, i just wanted to be sure. It's going back now, but the seller who said " it was perfect optically", and said " it has no haze" (it has thick hase around the rear element) is being silent, so, hopefully he won't be a loser and not own up to his mistake.