Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Color Correction Filter Questions
Old 08-25-2019   #1
Steve Ruddy

Color Correction Filter Questions

I am starting to shoot color transparency and color negative film. I think I'm going to want to use color correction filters now and then. I will be using a Rolleiflex T that has Bay I and a Rolleiflex 2.8 E with Bay III. I also have a Contax IIIa 40.5mm threads and a Leica IIIf summitar lens with unknown filter size. I'm thinking it maybe smart for at least one of the Rolleis to use a step up adapter so I can use the same filters on the Contax and or the Leica.
What would you all suggest in this case? Also here are my other questions.
  1. Should I buy Rollei filters or some other brand.
  2. Were is a good source for Rollei CC filters I haven't had much luck with my searches?
  3. What are equivalent CC filters that aren't Rollei like 80B ect I can't find a cross reference list?
  4. If I find Rollei R2,R5,B2,B5 filters will these cover all my needs?

Old 08-25-2019   #2
Steve Ruddy

I found an equivalent chart.

color correction filters
Old 08-25-2019   #3
randy stewart

color correction filters

The filters labelled R and B on your chart are decamired color correction filters. To the best of my knowledge, they were marketed by Tiffen to the movie industry and used by professionals. They were available in the old Series sizes up to at least Series 9 ( a bit larger than 82mm). They were quite expensive in the day. You'd have to check with Tiffen to see if they are still made. I made limited use of decamireds years ago. They are denser that you'd expect so do not eyeball well; best used with a color light meter. Far more technical than you'd practically need for casual color correction of slide film. I think you'll find a limited set of warming and cooling filters will work better for you. As to using one set of filters on various lenses with adjusting step-up (down) rings, that's what I do. Note that when adapting to TLRs, using an oversize filter may block the upper viewing lens. Use standard threaded filters and find adapters to fit the odd-ball bayonet and "fit over" lens requirements. Sources? Ebay; the Chinese accessory makers.

Old 08-25-2019   #4
Ronald M

Tiffin are sandwiched gel. I bought 6 in 1961 when I was in college for a Waltz Envoy. Every one delaminated in the center within a few years even with careful storage.
When I debated buying more for later cameras, I called Tiffin and was told all their filters are all laminated.
My advice is get dyed glass or gels which you cut to a circle and mount behind UV or clear. I have done this with IR filters
and it works as well "factory made."

In my opinion sunsets are supposed to look reddish so I do not bring them to daylight. If you shoot tungsten on daylight, a filter works well. Day film in tungsten needs a 80 A or B and it sucks up lots of light.

We have little tungsten today. No way to guess how to correct.

Old 08-25-2019   #5
Steve Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy stewart View Post
The filters labelled R and B on your chart are decamired color correction filters. To the best of my knowledge, they were marketed by Tiffen to the movie industry and used by professionals. They were available in the old Series sizes up to at least Series 9 ( a bit larger than 82mm). They were quite expensive in the day. You'd have to check with Tiffen to see if they are still made. I made limited use of decamireds years ago. They are denser that you'd expect so do not eyeball well; best used with a color light meter. Far more technical than you'd practically need for casual color correction of slide film. I think you'll find a limited set of warming and cooling filters will work better for you. As to using one set of filters on various lenses with adjusting step-up (down) rings, that's what I do. Note that when adapting to TLRs, using an oversize filter may block the upper viewing lens. Use standard threaded filters and find adapters to fit the odd-ball bayonet and "fit over" lens requirements. Sources? Ebay; the Chinese accessory makers.
I like gadgets, would a vintage color temp meter still work these days? It seems like modern meters are extremely expensive. Also what would you recommend for a limited set of filters to get started?
Thanks

Old 08-25-2019   #6
Steve Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Tiffin are sandwiched gel. I bought 6 in 1961 when I was in college for a Waltz Envoy. Every one delaminated in the center within a few years even with careful storage.
When I debated buying more for later cameras, I called Tiffin and was told all their filters are all laminated.
My advice is get dyed glass or gels which you cut to a circle and mount behind UV or clear. I have done this with IR filters
and it works as well "factory made."

In my opinion sunsets are supposed to look reddish so I do not bring them to daylight. If you shoot tungsten on daylight, a filter works well. Day film in tungsten needs a 80 A or B and it sucks up lots of light.

We have little tungsten today. No way to guess how to correct.
Thanks Ronald, I like DYI but this option sounds a bit hard for me unless I had detailed instructions with parts sources.

What filters do you find most useful? My first roll of Fuji 100F, shot on an overcast morning, had some shots that looked very blue.

Old 08-25-2019   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

Your Summitar lens takes Summitar filters. From Leica. It's a recessed mount, and no one copied it. You can get an adapter ring to use 39mm screw-in filters.

PF

Old 08-25-2019   #8
CMur12

Steve, speaking for myself shooting slides, I just use an 81B warming filter (other than a UV or skylight filter). I use this for window light indoors, shade, cloudy weather, and sunlight that is often on the cool side in these parts. Sometimes, I think it would be useful to have an even warmer filter in reserve, perhaps an 81EF, but I haven't felt the outright need to get one.

I mainly shoot in natural light and I have never felt any need for a cooling filter.

I would just start with an 81B or equivalent, which may be all you need. From there, if experience shows that you need something else, you can expand.

- Murray

PS. I appreciate the chart you posted above with Rollei equivalents, as I have only been able to guess those until now.