Fake Films, New Phenomenon?
Old 06-25-2019   #1
jarski

Fake Films, New Phenomenon?

New thing to be aware of? https://petapixel.com/2019/06/25/fuj...up-photo-labs/

Old 06-25-2019   #2
Archlich

These were spooled and distributed by a Chinese* lab specialized in processing movie film stocks like the Fujifilm F-64T, Eterna 250D, Eterna 250T and Eterna 500T for hobbyists to shoot with their 35mm cameras.

I don't think these are "counterfeiting" since they clearly don't resemble any of the genuine Fujifilm rolls. But they can be confusing to amateurs with the printed Fujifilm logo, which is a no go for sure.

*Looks like these are from Taiwan. Oops...

Old 06-25-2019   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

There are numerous re-spooled movie films out there, such as those of the admirable Nik and Trick, but they don't use company logos as they'd have their arses sued to pieces*. China seems excessively relaxed about intellectual property violations however.

* I just checked and they do with Fujifim and Kodak. So either they have permission, or they are being very naughty. They do show the required process though.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 06-25-2019   #4
maigo

Looking at the pictures it is labeled as Fujifilm 8546 but not labeled with process type.

More info here:
https://www.fujifilm.com/products/mo.../lineup/chart/

Processing labs should be careful inspecting each non-standard roll to determine process type but...mistakes happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2019   #5
maigo

This example of the same 8546 ECN-2 film type, but from a different source, has a very clear label:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233171969407

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2019   #6
Huss

Glass half empty - counterfeit films

Glass half full - pay attention Fuji there is obviously demand for film if there is counterfeit product!

Old 06-25-2019   #7
Solinar
Analog Preferred

My guess: The rem-jet anti halation layer is the unidentified contaminate.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 06-25-2019   #8
retinax

Not fake, just inappropriate use of the Fujifilm logo, and stupid lack of a large warning to not throw it in a normal C-41 process. Actually it's cool to see this made available to still photographers. For a developed, industrialised country there is oddly little awareness of intellectual property in Taiwan. Maybe in part cultural, as Confucianism values adherence to the old masters to the point of copying more than originality, and maybe partly because of the odd political status which means Taiwan is not party to some international law, although I don't know if that's actually the case with intellectual property law. But I have it on good account that individuals there don't ever get in trouble over pirated music or movies from the large American or European firms.

Old 06-25-2019   #9
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
My guess: The rem-jet anti halation layer is the unidentified contaminate.
Yeah, rem-jet will totally screw up a normal color film processing machine. It's like this really fine charcoal powder that coats one side of the film. When it gets wet it starts sloshing off, and will stick to pretty much anything.

Best,
-Tim

Old 06-25-2019   #10
MrFujicaman

The re-spooled movie films have been the bane of color labs since the 1970's !

Old 06-25-2019   #11
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Well, it is pirate use of fujifilm brand.
But those are honest pirates. 250D or 500T means nothing by ECN-2 film.
Yes, it is negative film and, yes, it could be processed in C-41. With equipment and chemicals pooped by RemJet a.k.a carbon powder.

You can't keep on rising prices, have canisters manufacturing outsourced and not having this happened. Same region is mixing some unknown powder to baby formula and exporting fish contaminated with chemicals. Without disclosure.
So, we must be thankful they are letting us know what the film is. At least for now.
But if you see the dark RemJet and film is thick, it is the warning anyway.

Old 06-25-2019   #12
Solinar
Analog Preferred

In the nineteen nineties, Seattle Film Works flooded the US with ECN-2 film, plenty of which is still available as N.O.S. on eBay.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 06-25-2019   #13
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
In the nineteen nineties, Seattle Film Works flooded the US with ECN-2 film, plenty of which is still available as N.O.S. on eBay.

Yeah, I've got a small collection of that stuff that came from estate sales and box lots. Didn't want to deal with them when they were in business, so never used any of it myself.

One other thing that article points out is that the sprocket holes on movie film are different than on stills. They are oval shaped, instead of squared off rectangles, so besides the remjet, that is a nice visual clue one can use.

PF

Old 06-26-2019   #14
retinax

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Well, it is pirate use of fujifilm brand.
But those are honest pirates. 250D or 500T means nothing by ECN-2 film.
Yes, it is negative film and, yes, it could be processed in C-41. With equipment and chemicals pooped by RemJet a.k.a carbon powder.

You can't keep on rising prices, have canisters manufacturing outsourced and not having this happened. Same region is mixing some unknown powder to baby formula and exporting fish contaminated with chemicals. Without disclosure.
So, we must be thankful they are letting us know what the film is. At least for now.
But if you see the dark RemJet and film is thick, it is the warning anyway.
But then Japan, where the film itself was made, is in the general region too... Taiwan hasn't generally been a source of fake products, contaminated milk powder and fish for decades. Agree on the other points.

Old 06-26-2019   #15
DanskDynamit

as fake as CineStill offerings?