Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Enlarger head for digital film copy
Old 11-07-2018   #1
tifat

Enlarger head for digital film copy

If I'm doing this right, here's a picture of a Durst M805 condenser enlarger head set-up for copying film. I pulled out the condensers, put a diffusion screen in the filter drawer, replaced the bulb with a fluorescent and attached the macro with a couple of step-up rings. Perfect alignment every time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2214.jpg (32.1 KB, 75 views)

Old 11-07-2018   #2
tifat

PS. Does anyone know why the image posted sideways?

Old 11-07-2018   #3
Steve M.

Did you take the picture with your phone? Mine nearly always does that. I have to reorient the pic in photoshop before posting from it.

Old 11-07-2018   #4
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

How did you connect the front of the camera lens to the head?

And, how are you doing focus. AF? Can't see what the lens is.

In Classifieds Now: Bessa R2S, Contax IIa and Nikon lenses
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 11-07-2018   #5
tifat

The lens is connected to the head with a couple of step-up filter rings (67 to 72 and 72 to 77). The 77 has an outside diameter of 80mm which fits perfectly in the spot where the enlarger lens mount would have been. The lens (with rings) is the held in place with the clamp that would normally hold down the enlarger lens board. The lens is a manual focus Zeiss 50mm Makro that I already owned. On an APS-C sensor that lens with an 14mm extension lets me focus everything from 35mm to 6x9 using the full sensor. I'm primarily interested in 35mm but I'll be interested to compare the 6x9 copies I get from this to the scans from my Epson 850.

Old 11-07-2018   #6
mcfingon
Western Australia

I use a similar setup, but the camera is mounted horizontally so I don't have to stand over it when operating. I also left the condensers in the enlarger as I'm doing B&W only with this setup. The lens is an auto-focus Nikon 40 micro, so that's quick and easy too. The whole thing is quicker to "scan" a roll of film, and better quality than the flatbed scanner I have.

John Mc

Old 11-08-2018   #7
skopar steve

I see the flip screen on the camera keeps you from having to stand over your rig. Nice setup. John Mc, I like your setup as well. Thanks for sharing,

Steve

Old 11-08-2018   #8
tifat

I spent the afternoon copying some B&W film, running it through Lightroom and the printing on a Canon Pro-1000. This setup seems to work as well as my Epson V850 for both 35mm and 6x9cm. It's much faster and easier to work with. Painless. I think I'll be shooting more film.