Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Modifying leica case
Old 04-20-2018   #1
dd786

Modifying leica case

Anyone modified their Leica ever ready type case so that the strap lugs stick out of it? I would like to do this so that I could attach the camera strap to the cam from the outside of the case like you can with the Luigi and Zhou cases. This feels safer as id be relying on strap attached to metal lug on the camera rather than an old leather strap attached to an old leather case.

I did consider getting one of the Luigi/Zhou etc cases but that's just spending more money (also the Luigi cases are crazy expensive too) and more importantly, the Leica case feels pretty rigid and hard and like it would offer better protection in a drop than a soft supple leather case (Luigi/Zhou) would and that is more important to me.

I have one of these cases where the lugs stay inside the case like attached. I guess Id have to break off the loops that attach the leather strap to the case then make some kind of holes or slits. Anyone done anything like this?

Old 01-04-2020   #2
kodachrome25

I have modified a Leicaflex ever-ready case to fit an M body allowing use of strap on camera by cutting with a surgical scalpel rectangular apertures at the sides of the lower case near where the camera strap lugs are located. Cut along the top edge and possibly corresponding cutouts on the top half of case to allow the the strap to slide through. The original M type cases are of very thick leather so could be a slow job.

Old 01-04-2020   #3
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I never seen modern Leica cases. Old Leitz cases are made to feel as secure as lugs.
Lugs do wear out, those things not.
My M4-2 case feels more secure than lugs.

As for status cases brands, I never have intentions to own them. They are too self-declaring.
I have nine dollars, MiC, free shipping half case on M-E. And I have Mr. Zhou half case for Bessa R cameras. Non of them feels cheap or unfitting. They are durable.

Old 01-04-2020   #4
Livesteamer

I do not use a case much with my Leica M so I took a different route. With a little simple machining I made a 3/8 inch thick plate to mate a Leica M to a Nikon F case. The case is a little big but is very sturdy. Joe