Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

3D Printed Double Accessory Shoe
Old 12-21-2016   #1
Steevo

3D Printed Double Accessory Shoe

Dear RFF Community:

As a rangefinder enthusiast, I have collected quite a bit of photographic "do-dads", thing-a-ma-bobs", and miscellaneous camera accessories for my rangefinders. (I love them all.) The one accessory that I have not acquired has been the "double accessory shoe". This is in due in part to their rarity and also due to their price!

So, since I got a 3D printer last week, I thought that I would put the printer through its paces by creating my own double accessory shoe - a good first project. My day job is as a furniture designer and I am very familiar with 3D modeling software, but I have never prepared a 3D design for printing.

To make a long story short....I am very pleased with how the prototype has worked out. It fits perfectly into the cold shoe on my Leica IIIc, my M3, and on my Nikon S3 (See image.) and holds the accessory viewfinders and meter - which is the configuration that I will use the most.

The benefits seem quite obvious:

- Low cost
- Strong / Durable (ABS plastic).
- Allows for greater convenience for using a meter.

I'm thinking that I will explore any other accessories that could be created with the 3D printer.

Thanks! Feedback welcome!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shoe x 2 bb.jpg (42.4 KB, 195 views)
Olympus XA, Stylus, Stylus Zoom
Panasonic GH-1 (with Nikon / Leica Adapter)

Do something NEW with those cameras!

Old 12-21-2016   #2
Jake Mongey

My god would I love one, could you potentially make one for the canon model 7 simular to the canon accessory coupler. I purhcased and actual one for £100 and lost it the week before finally getting my 28mm lens and finder and dont want to buy another one

Old 12-21-2016   #3
Alfasud
Old Toys

Steve,
This is a fine use for new technology. I would love to have one in black.

Ciao,
David

If I age as well as my cameras, I'll do all right

Black ABS on order!
Old 12-21-2016   #4
Steevo

Black ABS on order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mongey View Post
My god would I love one, could you potentially make one for the canon model 7 simular to the canon accessory coupler. I purhcased and actual one for £100 and lost it the week before finally getting my 28mm lens and finder and dont want to buy another one
Jake - I'm not sure about modeling a new version, but I will take a pic with the current model on my Canon VI-T deluxe and let you view. Thanks for the comments. Will keep you posted.

SW

Old 12-21-2016   #5
Steevo

Dear All - I just ordered some ABS materials in black....will keep you posted.

SW

Old 12-21-2016   #6
Steevo

Also, please comment on what accessories might be worthwhile printing in 3D. Looking forward to comments / suggestions.

Hoods? / Grips? / Etc.

SW

Old 12-21-2016   #7
emayoh

Not a triple accessory shoe, why?

:-)

Old 12-21-2016   #8
Jake Mongey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
Jake - I'm not sure about modeling a new version, but I will take a pic with the current model on my Canon VI-T deluxe and let you view. Thanks for the comments. Will keep you posted.

SW
Depending on how much money I get for Christmas I would be happy to pay for you to make one specific to the canon 7, i feel a lot of canon 7 users would benefit aswell

Hehe Christmas money, The only thing that keeps a camera obsessed 16 year old going

Old 12-21-2016   #9
daveleo
what?

This kind of DIY stuff is very exciting. Actually 3D print technology is above the groundfloor DIY level.
How strong is that item? I have the (uninformed) idea that 3d Printed stuff is more delicate than, say, casted items.

Old 12-21-2016   #10
02Pilot
Malcontent

I would love it if someone produced a combination of a shoe-mounted thumbrest with a shoe mount on top (I'm specifically looking for my X-E1, but I suspect the same fitment would work for other cameras). I want to be able to mount a viewfinder on top so I don't have to rely on the EVF, but still keep the thumbrest. I've been thinking about hacking one together the old fashioned way, but I don't seem to have gotten around to it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 12-21-2016   #11
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
This kind of DIY stuff is very exciting. Actually 3D print technology is above the groundfloor DIY level.
How strong is that item? I have the (uninformed) idea that 3d Printed stuff is more delicate than, say, casted items.
Dave...The ABS is very strong...I attached it to the hot shoe of my Nikon FT2 SLR (Heavy!) And lifted it by the double accessory shoe. I thought it might be brittle, but it's not. I designed the walls to be strong and yet still be proportioned well for the rangefinders.

SW

Old 12-21-2016   #12
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
I would love it if someone produced a combination of a shoe-mounted thumbrest with a shoe mount on top (I'm specifically looking for my X-E1, but I suspect the same fitment would work for other cameras). I want to be able to mount a viewfinder on top so I don't have to rely on the EVF, but still keep the thumbrest. I've been thinking about hacking one together the old fashioned way, but I don't seem to have gotten around to it.
Great idea.....I'll add that to the list!

SW

Old 12-21-2016   #13
JChrome
Street Worker

I've found that the female cold shoe will lose its "springiness" over time. I've 3D printed and used some cold shoes. If you leave the male part within it for some time, the plastic gets stretched and loosens. Other than that, no problem :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-21-2016   #14
JChrome
Street Worker

Of note - I'm using laser scintering for my cold shoe printing and not extrusion so maybe the ABS plastic is better. But I suspect all of them have this problem.

Old 12-21-2016   #15
weihsuan

It might be useful to design a cantilever(spring) structure which deforms when an accessory is fitted into the cold shoe, this is for preserving the elasticity in the plastic.

I did this couple yrs back, a triple cold shoe.
Also took the chance to shift the cold shoe position to be in line with the lens axis.

Old 12-22-2016   #16
Doug

"...could you potentially make one for the canon model 7 simular to the canon accessory coupler. I purhcased and actual one for £100 and lost it the week before finally getting my 28mm lens and finder and dont want to buy another one"

"I would love to have one in black."

Please don't post in this thread asking Steve to make you something... that's effectively a wanted ad. Be discreet and PM him instead!

Of course product ideas are welcome!

Thanks
Doug

Old 12-22-2016   #17
rscheffler

Someone suggested hoods... I came across these 3D printed offerings a couple/few years ago: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/AnalogueRobot?l=36 though it's a limited selection of ZM and Voigtlander specific hoods.

A few years ago I would have asked about a grip extension for the GXR, but I rarely use it now. Might be worthwhile looking into these newfangled printers.

Is the software difficult to learn?

Old 12-22-2016   #18
JChrome
Street Worker

Depends on the software you use. 123d Design is easy and free. I highly recommend it.

Old 12-22-2016   #19
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weihsuan View Post
It might be useful to design a cantilever(spring) structure which deforms when an accessory is fitted into the cold shoe, this is for preserving the elasticity in the plastic.

I did this couple yrs back, a triple cold shoe.

Also took the chance to shift the cold shoe position to be in line with the lens axis.

Interesting idea. Like leaf springs on a 78' Blazer. Anyway I suspect that longer term compression of said springs might deform them as well. Plastic isn't always the best solution. But I'll give that a shot.

I've looked for cheap metal cold shoes that I can simply screw into my plastic designs and have yet to find something worthwhile. I'll post it if I do.

Old 12-22-2016   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Very cool, Steve!

I'm interested in the printing system. What printer did you use? What 3D software do you use to design the parts?

I seem to always be wanting to make some little widget or another, a 3D printer might be a good investment now. (Once upon a time, I had access to a machine shop and a couple of people who were good running the mill, the lathe, the welder, etc ... Days long past now, unfortunately.)

G

Old 12-22-2016   #21
douwe
Jazz and Silver

Could you share the dimensions you used for the male part of the connection? I'm intending to print a 28mm and 35mm viewfinder based on the optics taken from 'big finder' compacts such as the Minolta AF50 Big Finder and the Canon Owl.

If you went through some trial and error and settled on dimensions that work I'd be grateful if you could share!

Old 12-22-2016   #22
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
O2Pilot - That is a great idea. I completed my first "print" of one this morning.....turned out great! See picture below.
SW

More - The thumb grip part is a bit long....gonna reduce the length and print this afternoon. Will also eventually get to a combined Thumb grip and double accessory shoe model! Fun, but gotta get back to "real" work. Thanks, all!

SW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161222_124736843.jpg (36.7 KB, 55 views)

Old 12-22-2016   #23
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
I've found that the female cold shoe will lose its "springiness" over time. I've 3D printed and used some cold shoes. If you leave the male part within it for some time, the plastic gets stretched and loosens. Other than that, no problem :-)

Chrome - I have already thought about adding a small securing screw that would secure the accessory in the shoe to remove any "play" that may develop over time. I will look at that when the concept evolves. However, I have revised the size to be very snug to hopefully eliminate or at least hold that off.

SW

Old 12-22-2016   #24
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
Could you share the dimensions you used for the male part of the connection? I'm intending to print a 28mm and 35mm viewfinder based on the optics taken from 'big finder' compacts such as the Minolta AF50 Big Finder and the Canon Owl.

If you went through some trial and error and settled on dimensions that work I'd be grateful if you could share!
douwe - I used the ISO Hot Shoe Standard.....I found a 3D model of it on the web and went from there. I did expand it a bit....but will try to post the dimensions when I can.

International Organization for Standardization in ISO 518:2006

Link:

https://grabcad.com/library/camera-hotshoe

SW

Old 12-22-2016   #25
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Very cool, Steve!

I'm interested in the printing system. What printer did you use? What 3D software do you use to design the parts?

I seem to always be wanting to make some little widget or another, a 3D printer might be a good investment now. (Once upon a time, I had access to a machine shop and a couple of people who were good running the mill, the lathe, the welder, etc ... Days long past now, unfortunately.)

G
Godfrey - I use a Qidi Tech 1 Printer.....It is a dual extruder model for about $700 US. It has a lot of nice features for a printer albeit I am a newbie. What I liked about this one is that it is the only one that Amazon has chosen to "stock" and back with their Prime return policies, etc. See link below:

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/TECHNOLOGY-3D.../dp/B01D8M32LU

From my limited experience.....I am getting great prints right out of the box. As a designer, its has been pretty easy....but, as with all technology, "Computers and computer gadgets are like a bad brother-in-law....you can get some work out of them, but at some point, they are going to cause trouble and let you down!" - (Quote mine!) For now, all is well.

SW

Old 12-22-2016   #26
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
Depends on the software you use. 123d Design is easy and free. I highly recommend it.

Chrome - From my research before the purchase, I heard that Simplify3D was great software. I looked at the software that came with the printer and it seemed quite outdated from a user interface standpoint - think Windows 95. I downloaded the Simplify3D software and have been using it exclusively. Simple interface.....nice little animations....similar to other 3D software that I use (Rhino) and simple additions like "scaffolding, etc.)

Link:

https://www.simplify3d.com/

Old 12-22-2016   #27
AlwaysOnAuto

I'd like to see the VI-T picture of your set up.
Nice work by the way. =;>)

Old 12-22-2016   #28
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
I'd like to see the VI-T picture of your set up.
Nice work by the way. =;>)
AOA - Here it is. (Sorry for my typo....VT deluxe. ;-)

SW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161221_184358255.jpg (48.3 KB, 41 views)

Old 12-22-2016   #29
AlwaysOnAuto

Nice.
It'll be interesting to hear how the cold flow characteristics of the ABS work out with these. I'll be watching with great interest.

Old 12-22-2016   #30
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post

douwe - The viewfinder idea is great. I have some sketches for a series of simple non-optical finders that would frame the scene and again, be low cost / durable. (You know, at some point, I gonna have to design a whole 3D printed rangefinder clone in vintage style......just because!)

SW

Old 12-22-2016   #31
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
Nice.
It'll be interesting to hear how the cold flow characteristics of the ABS work out with these. I'll be watching with great interest.
AOA - What is cold flow? Again, I'm a newbie. I do understand the basics of how to design and place the design to get a better print, and I know that different materials are better at "gaps", etc. But for these small parts, the material is flowing well and I am keeping the support "scaffolding" to a minimum.

SW

Old 12-22-2016   #32
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
O2Pilot - That is a great idea. I completed my first "print" of one this morning.....turned out great! See picture below.
SW

More - The thumb grip part is a bit long....gonna reduce the length and print this afternoon. Will also eventually get to a combined Thumb grip and double accessory shoe model! Fun, but gotta get back to "real" work. Thanks, all!

SW
Nicely done. FYI, the OAL on mine is 43mm, which is just about perfect for the X-E1. If you need a beta-tester, let me know!

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 12-22-2016   #33
AlwaysOnAuto

Cold flow is the tendency of materials to conform to a shape if they're under pressure. If you leave your printed piece in your camera cold shoe overnite say, does it feel looser in the morning?
It may not happen overnite, but over an extended period of time I think it will.
I'll be interested to hear what the case is in your instance.

Old 12-22-2016   #34
daveleo
what?

Cold flow would only happen as long as the fit is very tight.
Correct?
Even if started, it would stop at some tightness (stress) level. (Don't ask me to quantify that.)

But, to your point, it will be interesting to watch that.

Old 12-22-2016   #35
rfaspen

Well, I'm definitely ignorant about 3D printing. But....I really like the double cold shoe Steevo showed us in the OP. I think it would be *much* better in black.

I have 2 of the lens hoods offered by shapeways. They're both really nice, functional gear. I can see a rather wide opportunity to produce lens hoods that are uncommon, or with improved/added function. I'd welcome an alternative FOOKH/FLQOO

Let us know here, or wherever appropriate, if black ABS double cold-shoes are made available.

Old 12-22-2016   #36
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
How about a cupholder?
faberryman - Here you go! ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Shoe Cup Holder.jpg (10.6 KB, 18 views)

Old 12-22-2016   #37
rfaspen

The perfect gift for that photographer in your life who has everything.

The SteevCo professional cup holder is an essential pro-level accessory designed to meet the rigorous demands of working professionals who have to get the job done, on a tight schedule.

--Pros who absolutely need to get it right the first time, no excuses. Don't trust your work and reputation to an inferior cupholder. Get the best. Get the SteevCo pro-grade cupholder and focus on your vision, not your coffee.

Old 12-22-2016   #38
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Well, I'm definitely ignorant about 3D printing. But....I really like the double cold shoe Steevo showed us in the OP. I think it would be *much* better in black.

I have 2 of the lens hoods offered by shapeways. They're both really nice, functional gear. I can see a rather wide opportunity to produce lens hoods that are uncommon, or with improved/added function. I'd welcome an alternative FOOKH/FLQOO

Let us know here, or wherever appropriate, if black ABS double cold-shoes are made available.
rfaspen - Will do!

SW

3D Printed Double Accessory Shoe - Updated Prototype
Old 12-28-2016   #39
Steevo

3D Printed Double Accessory Shoe - Updated Prototype

Dear RFF Community:

Here is the updated 3D printed double accessory shoe in black. I tweaked the design after I received the black ABS materials for the 3D printer. I have printed about 10 of them to perfect the process. Here are the details:

1. Black ABS Plastic - One piece construction = strong!
2. Thicker "walls" for added strength and also less deformity in printing while cooling.
3. Fits in all my accessory shoes in a confident and snug manner. (Tested on Canon RF, Nikon RF, and Leica RF.)
4. Looks great in black and the printed pattern mimics the texture of camera leather.
5. The receiving shoes are snug and hold both plastic and metal "feet" securely.
6. I am testing a small safety strip that clips in place and covers the opening of the double shoe just for extra security of the items in the shoe.....I'll let you know how that looks and works.

I'm gonna shoot it for a few days to see how it performs on my Leica IIIc. It is great to have the meter on the camera for easy metering.

Will keep you posted, thanks for all the comments.

SW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (27.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (24.9 KB, 33 views)

Old 11-27-2018   #40
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Dear Steve,

do you think it is feasible to make a printed "Double Accessory Shoe" like the Voigtländer Type C?

AND: do you think it would be strong enough for this type of right angle finder?