Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Old 12-06-2019   #41
shawn

Love how tiny this one is.

First try with stereo/3d and using StereoPhoto Maker.

Shawn

Old 12-10-2019   #42
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

I can report that testing with the 1-2-3 model manufactured by Shawn has worked out. There are three bases:

65mm (1+2): works for most subjects. This is the standard base, what Shawn shows immediately above.

96mm (1+3): hyperstereo needs some serious subject distance and a relatively flat scene (because having things at near and far ranges frustrates 3D alignment).

32mm (2+3): I didn't have this in mind at first, but it works on a surprising number of subjects.

What I did not anticipate (but probably should have...) was that three DxOs together are actually as heavy as a full-size camera!

Thanks Shawn!

D

Old 12-11-2019   #43
shawn

I didn’t think of the shorter base either. Have you tried side by side viewing for the hyperstereo shots? Might handle more complex shots better than the blends.

Shawn

Old 12-11-2019   #44
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I didnít think of the shorter base either. Have you tried side by side viewing for the hyperstereo shots? Might handle more complex shots better than the blends.

Shawn
Haven't tried it yet. Hey, I only yesterday got some plastic anaglyph glasses to sub for the pair of cardboard ones I borrowed from my 7yo daughter's "Cute Animals in 3D" book.

D

Old 12-11-2019   #45
shawn

I haven’t tried side by side either. Probably will get a viewer for it though. At the moment I am waiting for a new battery for my laptop so I haven’t processed anything more yet.

Shawn

Old 12-14-2019   #46
shawn

Modeled out the converging lens panoramic cameras.

2 camera, 50 degree spread:

3 camera rig 45 degrees between cameras. Need the shallower angle to hopefully avoid the cameras seeing each other.

Also modeled in strap bars as a test to see how strong they will be.

Three camera rig print started, 13 hour job. I've had some problems with warping so I rearranged my printer setup this week. Hopefully that problem will go away.

Shawn

Old 12-14-2019   #47
B-9
Devin Bro

Shawn, love the latest models.

I was thinking a mod similar to your strap lugs. I have a rough set modeled up to print. Need to order some new filament and do a little TLC on my print bed first. My last few prints suffered from some minor shift... that sucks when you are talking 12+hr prints.

Oh and Thanks Again!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-14-2019   #48
shawn

If you are getting shifting play around with first layer print height (by bed leveling) as getting that accurate makes a big difference in initial ayer sticking. Also print the first layer at half speed and maybe at a higher temp, esp. if you don't have a heated bed. A skirt helps too and if you really need it a raft is even better.

Warping was driving me nuts. My print surface was wearing out so I swapped to a glass bed. First bed arrived warped. Then the common 'wisdom' of using thermal pads in the corners and center was a mess. That gave me uneven heating over the glass combined with the dropping temps in my basement ended up with lots of warping. I have the glass flat on another surface now and the heating is much even. The glass surface is interesting, hair spray applied to it makes the prints stick well when the bed is hot and they basically release on their own when the bed is cooled.

First 3 camera print on the glass running now.

Shawn

Old 12-15-2019   #49
shawn

Stereo shot from yesterday

3 converging camera panoramic rig.

First test shots ended up blending to 41 megapixels and about 4.1:1 AR and they did not see each other. (12938x3153)

The diverging lens camera (5 degrees wider spacing between cameras so it should have 10 degrees horizontal wider FOV) are around 43 megapixels and about 4.4:1 AR. (13899x3137)

Will have to do more testing with it but I think the converging lenses will handle closer in subjects better and maybe won't have as much change between cameras when tilted up or down. On the negative side it is tricky to see all three screens when you take the shot so it is harder to verify that all three cameras fired. 2 camera converging pano printing now.

Shawn

Old 12-15-2019   #50
BernardL

Nice results !

Post deleted. I had not seen that you switched to a converging arrangement, for which I made a redundant suggestion.

Old 12-15-2019   #51
shawn

Converging two camera panoramic:

Blends are about 30 megs around a 3:1 aspect ratio.

Printing a single camera case with coldshoe now.

Shawn

Old 12-15-2019   #52
shawn

Shawn

Old 12-21-2019   #53
shawn

Picked up a pair of side by side stereo viewers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works well and avoids the color shifts of analygraph and does not have that cardboard cutout look.

Haven't had much light to shoot lately but after carry a stereo camera in one pocket and panoramic in the other I designed this.

Printing now. Won't be quite as flexible as the 2 separate cameras (DXOs optimized for stereo or panoramic) but should work for most situations.

Shawn

Old 12-23-2019   #54
shawn

This turned out to be a difficult print. I had 4 fail during print due to warping.

I altered the design a little that printed OK. I also turned down the nozzle cooling fan which made it a very stringy print, will be bumping the cooling up to avoid that.

Shawn

Old 12-23-2019   #55
shawn

Shooting with the camera is interesting as the converging panoramic cameras displays are flipped right side of frame on left camera (and vice versa) but the stereo cameras are not.
SBS Stereo shots

And a panoramic

Shawn

Old 12-26-2019   #56
shawn

Stereo is fun....

Shawn