Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Medium format Instax module
Old 10-26-2019   #1
Fjäll

Medium format Instax module

Not entirely sure in what sub forum to post this is since this is a little odd.
I got lucky and picked up a 3D printed Mercury camera the other day from a resale company that listed it as a camera case(!) (If you aren't familiar with their cameras and modules you can read about them here)

So basically it's a fully modular system ranging from 35mm to 4x5 with different lens mounts, shutters, film backs etc. As far as I understand it my camera is an standard Mercury Front Panel integrated with a Graflok 23 back adapter, a standard focus unit and an Instax wide back. Everything comes apart except for the Graflok mount on the Instax Wide back that is glued to the mount itself.

What caught my attention was the Instax back to serve as a future instant option when I eventually run out of FP-100C.

What I'm unsure about is what lenses are compatible for this set-up? Can I mount the Instax back to any camera with a Graflok 23 back? I'm not familiar with how these things work but was hoping I came to the right place to ask before I buy something I don't have any use for.

Old 10-26-2019   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Very cool, and thanks for the link to the Mercury camera site.

I'd look at their offerings to determine what lenses are best suited and ask for advice on known combinations that work well. The Instax Wide format is close to 6x9 so you need a lens that will cover that format for best results.

The Mamiya Press 23 connection is interesting to me. I'm building my own custom Instax Square camera based on an Instant Magny 35 Instax SQ processing unit and a Mamiya Press 23 50mm lens. I'm at the point of doing the precision measurements/dimensions to hand off to my tech guy who will do the 3D rendering and print an adapter that will take a Mamiya Press 23 lens mount on one end and fit into the processing unit's bayonet mount. Once that bit is printed and fitted, all that's left is to create a mount for a viewfinder, fit the lens, and go shooting.

Fun stuff! Instax formats present a nice way to do instant photography, the Fuji films are quite good and these custom cameras allow very diverse camera configurations —*quite the expansion of instant film photography!

G

Old 10-26-2019   #3
Fjäll

Interesting. Sounds like a cool project! Thanks for the clarification on the film size, I have never shot Instax Wide before. The Instax are surprisingly good quality if you manage somehow shoot it on a good quality lens. I was looking at Mamiya Press 23 cameras for the Instax back but I'm not sure it will even work. It's interesting to see all the DIY projects involving this format.

Old 10-26-2019   #4
CharlesDAMorgan

I would have thought lenses for the Horsemann or Linhof Technika 6x9 format cameras would be ideal (and somewhat out of fashion so relatively cheap for top drawer optics). Lots to choose from in fact!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 10-26-2019   #5
Hern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I'm building my own custom Instax Square camera based on an Instant Magny 35 Instax SQ processing unit and a Mamiya Press 23 50mm lens. I'm at the point of doing the precision measurements/dimensions to hand off to my tech guy who will do the 3D rendering and print an adapter that will take a Mamiya Press 23 lens mount on one end and fit into the processing unit's bayonet mount. Once that bit is printed and fitted, all that's left is to create a mount for a viewfinder, fit the lens, and go shooting.
G
It'd never occurred to me to modify the Magny as such! The biggest upside that I can see is the sidestepping of all that light loss via the mirror, definitely excited to see how your project turns out