Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

DIY Omega D5500 Elevator Drive Wheel Assembly
Old 02-20-2019   #1
rgraphex

DIY Omega D5500 Elevator Drive Wheel Assembly

I'll post this info for others cheap alternative Omega D5500 Elevator Drive Wheel Assembly home made. Worked for me and sold one to happy customer.

Discription: Original part rubber and plastic mounted on 8mm splined shaft. Shaft is 14 1/4 inch long
I used 2 Vibration Isolator,170 Lb Max,5/16-18 2NPD6 these are like a motor mount so yes very sturdy.

making new shaft:
14 1/4 long threaded 5/16 shaft
roll pins holes are drilled 2 7/16 from ends MUST BE STRAIT
There is a 3 inch gap between the rubber wheels. Wheels need to be drilled all the way through 1/4 in
I choose to glue wheels at shaft location after placement. I used 4 lock nuts so rubber wheels would never move up or down the shaft.
I thought about the plastic cups rotating over the threaded shaft over a long period of time. thinking of wear. I decided to fill this threaded area with jb weld stick and sanded for a smooth surface so cups can rotate freely
The end caps are used to hold handles up to the roll pins not a lot of force needed just need to hold in place. ace hardware sells female 5/16 threaded knobs and a washer this will work fine. I would use lock tight to hold in place.