Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Agfa Ambi Silette Wooden Grip
Old 02-08-2018   #1
BenjaminM
Benjamin Matthews

Agfa Ambi Silette Wooden Grip

https://flic.kr/p/24aTvdg

Hi there ��
Thought I'd share pics of a Grip I made for my Ambi Silette.
I managed to get a lump of free teak, shaped it and stuck it down with Sugru.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Bessa 1.
Have a great day ��

Old 02-08-2018   #2
seany65

Hello Benjamin. I've got a '57 ambi-silette. I can't say I've felt the need for a grip yet, but I've only used it with the 50mm so far. I've got a 90mm and I'd love a 35mm in a bubble-case for a 90mm.

I did own a nikon fm2n for a while with tamron f3.5 70-210mm. Big and heavy, I wanted a handgrip with that.

Old 02-08-2018   #3
BenjaminM
Benjamin Matthews

I agree that a heavy body lens combination is always improved with a grip, but I found the Ambi a little too small and slippery and so have added the grip.
It now feels much better in my hand, far more secure.
I've got the 35/50/90 Lenses in their little bubble cases, though I use the 35 nearly all the time.
I'm slowly collecting together the 35.5 filters I need and have a Hood & few filters that are 37mm slip on that I also use.
I only use it for B&W, it's always digital for colour.
I think it's a gem of a camera, and folksy looking enough that no one ever thinks what you are taking is important enough to be bothered about 😀

The 35mm lens comes up on European #bay sites quite often, there's at least a couple on there now.

Old 02-10-2018   #4
seany65

You think the ambi-silette is small? You want to try holding a pentax mx. It had been one of the cameras I'd considered many years ago along with the OM1 and the FM. A couple of years after deciding on the FM I had a fiddle with an MX in a second hand camera shop on Oldham street in Manchester. I held it for about 3 seconds and thought 'Eeek, Nope!'

Hmmm. If you use 37mm slip filters do you also have a 37mm slip on hood? Mine came with a slip on yelow-green and hood but I've switched to screw-in stuff as they are more secure. I only need one filter now (I don't think I'll bother with Red), but off hand I can't remember which one I need. I've also got some 30mm filters for my super solinette which needs one more (no red) to finish and so when I think which one I need to buy for which set I get them mixed up.

Old 02-10-2018   #5
BenjaminM
Benjamin Matthews

When you said Pentax mx I thought you meant that little tiny Pentax 110 sytstem camera for a moment 😊
I love OM, back in the day I was a Saturday boy at a camera shop and got secondhand equipment at buy-in prices, I built up a lovely kit of OM bodies and prime Zuiko lenses, wish I'd never sold any of it.

The voigtlander 37mm Push Hood fits onto their 37mm Push Filters, quite a neat arrangement.

I've also got some Kodak series 6 filters and looking for a 35.5mm holder.

I do love the Ambi, so well made.

Old 02-12-2018   #6
seany65

lol, an A110 mixed up with an MX.

I understand the push on hood 'pushes on' to the push on filters, but I was wondering about when you have a screw in filter on, does the push on hood push on to them?

How many filters have you got for the ambi?

Old 02-13-2018   #7
BenjaminM
Benjamin Matthews

The 37 slip on Hood fits snugly over and then past the 35.5 screw filters I have and sits on the lens as it would with no filter attached.

I've got the voiglander Hood and a yellow Voitlander Filter both slip on.
An Agfa 35.5 Hood (not so keen on it as it's hard plastic and I always worried it's going to get broken).
35.5 screw filters = yellow (light and darker), orange, green and a couple of uv.
Series six filters I've got that fit are red,green,yellow.

I'm on the look out for a nice 35.5 screw red filter

Btw there is a 35mm colour Ambion lens on eBay right now, 12 buy it now I think.

Old 02-14-2018   #8
seany65

Ah, I see.

I know what you mean about the plastic hoods. I changed to a metal screw in hood as I'd used a plastic push on hood on it but that kept falling off. The only plastic hood I've got is the one Tamron stuck on my Tamron 20A 70-150mm lens. I think it's too shallow, but I can't break it off and replace it with a good metal hood as the idiots made it so the focusing ring comes out over the front element of the lens!

I saw that color ambion lens when I did a search on 'PicClick UK' (after you mentioned it) which sorts through ebay listings and shows all results on one page. I'm tempted, but I don't know of any lens caps that would fit the back of the lens until I could get a 90mm plastic bubble case for it. In fact I don't know what I'd do if the case for my 90mm lens breaks in the way that the one for this 35mm lens has.

Old 02-16-2018   #9
seany65

I bought the 35mm color-ambion you mentioned BenjaminM. I should find out next week what it's really like. Although I'd have no idea if there's any 'balsam seperation' even if I stare at it for a couple of hours.

Old 02-19-2018   #10
BenjaminM
Benjamin Matthews

I hope it turns out to be a peach
My one has no fungus, separation, haze, but does have cleaning marks on the rear element.
I like it though and it pretty much lives on the camera.
Fingers crossed you've bought a gem.

Old 02-19-2018   #11
seany65

It does seem to be rather better than expected, certainly cleaner/shinier than the pics would suggest and it seems to work alright and all for less than 17 inc p+p!

Old 03-07-2018   #12
BenjaminM
Benjamin Matthews

Glad to hear you've got yourself a winner 😊

the 35mm Color Ambion
Old 12-19-2018   #13
wes loder
Photographer/Historian

the 35mm Color Ambion

I have a full suite of lenses for the Ambi Silette,but will admit I am not much of a fan of this lens. Pictures are decently sharp and balanced, but the ergonomics are awful IMHO. The focusing ring is too narrow and difficult to grasp. The aperture is squeezed in next to the lens removal ring. The engravings are small, and when you lift the viewfinder cover, you can't read the settings from above. In addition, it takes over 270 degrees of turning for the focus. Too slow. I prefer the 90, which does not focus close, but has a focus turn on under 60 degrees and has large numbers that are easy to see, even with the cover raised. It is a shame we have so few lens choices. Wish that Agfa had made a Solagon in Ambi mount. I am still looking for a few filters for my Ambi. Have a UV and a yellow coming. I suppose I could use some of my Zeiss filters that are the same size.

Old 12-19-2018   #14
seany65

The 35mm color-ambions are rather "dinky" aren't they?

I only need a Red then I'd have all the mono set, including two Yellow-Greens, one of which is on the Yellow side and the other is on the Green side as well as a UV. I probably won't be getting another ambi-silette as they seem to have rather weak shutters. it's a shame as I like them.

I will be using the filters with my Gevaert Gevabox, which officially doesn't take filters but I've got a 35mm "spacer ring" with the inside filed down so it can slip onto the lens barrel.

One thing I don't like is that the Ambi's lenses click into their plastic lens cases, which seems to mean there are no rear lens caps available so you can't use other lens cases that are padded in some way.