Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 03-26-2017   #121
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post

There are no "verified" articles.

There are many opinions. And there are the photos.
I can't find any opinions to back this up. As for the 11 photos, they are what they are. I'm just trying to figure out why there is an opinion of Capa out there like this, meanwhile getting backhanded replies like "read... Learn something" from someone who doesn't know me or much if anything about me.
I get further defensive and offended by someone who just puts that out there, against a fellow combat veteran and a combat photographer, nonetheless. Capa may have been more parachute journalist than many would have appreciated but his job was to cover the landing and not get killed.
A Vietnam vet asked me once "where is the combat?" after he saw my photographs of Fallujah in 2004. I told him that I was a rifleman in my squad when needed then a photographer, even though my job in the Navy was photographer.
Did Capa pee in someone's corn flakes?

Phil Forrest

Old 03-26-2017   #122
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

Willy Ronis.

Old 03-26-2017   #123
CK Dexter Haven

Richard Avedon
Irving Penn
Steven Meisel
Andres Bitesnich
Bert Stern ("The Last Sitting")

Old 03-26-2017   #124
Taipei-metro

Sasaoka Keiko 笹岡啓子

https://youtu.be/_tQd3tY11nE?t=3s

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E7%...oVXM%253Bhttp%

Old 03-26-2017   #125
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
I can't find any opinions to back this up. As for the 11 photos, they are what they are.

Did Capa pee in someone's corn flakes?

Phil Forrest
Every successful person seems to piss in someone's cornflakes.

Old 03-26-2017   #126
lamefrog

Quote:
I can't find any opinions to back this up. As for the 11 photos, they are what they are. I'm just trying to figure out why there is an opinion of Capa out there like this, meanwhile getting backhanded replies like "read... Learn something" from someone who doesn't know me or much if anything about me.
Phil,

I believe the reference could be to A.D Coleman's series of blog posts that (convincingly imho) "debunk the myth of Robert Capa’s “melted” D-Day negatives ". The entire series is here

I just did a google search and this RFF thread popped up:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=143162

Also this

Philippe

Old 03-26-2017   #127
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamefrog View Post

Phil,

I believe the reference could be to A.D Coleman's series of blog posts that (convincingly imho) "debunk the myth of Robert Capa’s “melted” D-Day negatives ". The entire series is here

I just did a google search and this RFF thread popped up:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=143162

Also this

Philippe
Philippe,
Thanks for that. I'd seen the Coleman accusation before and thought it was BS. So a roll of film went missing, who cares? So film got damaged or lied about or whatever, who cares?
Capa was on on Omaha beach, June 6, 1944, with a camera, not a rifle. He came home with 11 images and made the story on deadline. By that virtue alone, he could have said anything and I still would think he's one of the bravest people to ever hold a camera. Calling him a chicken**** does no justice and is just an inflammatory comment.
Combat is absolutely horrific and anyone who has smelled a moment of it knows that. It is unnatural and the very definition of evil way beyond any religious notion of the word.
If Capa wanted out, good for him. He got his shots of the third or fourth worst ever day in modern combat history.
Give him some credit, folks.
If I had the ability to leave Fallujah before the Push began, I absolutely would have.
There should be no judgment, no armchair tactician saying what Capa nor any other conflict photographer should have done.
Y'all want those shots? Go take them yourselves, otherwise shut up and enjoy the fact you have the ability to see them, the means to do so and the freedom to complain about them as well.

Phil Forrest

Old 03-26-2017   #128
Dirk
Privatier

To get back to the original topic:

HCB.

If only living photographers count, William Albert Allard.

Old 03-28-2017   #129
bio

Nenad Bojic

https://www.instagram.com/ned_bojic/

Old 03-28-2017   #130
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Philippe,
Thanks for that. I'd seen the Coleman accusation before and thought it was BS. So a roll of film went missing, who cares? So film got damaged or lied about or whatever, who cares?
Capa was on on Omaha beach, June 6, 1944, with a camera, not a rifle. He came home with 11 images and made the story on deadline. By that virtue alone, he could have said anything and I still would think he's one of the bravest people to ever hold a camera. Calling him a chicken**** does no justice and is just an inflammatory comment.
Combat is absolutely horrific and anyone who has smelled a moment of it knows that. It is unnatural and the very definition of evil way beyond any religious notion of the word.
If Capa wanted out, good for him. He got his shots of the third or fourth worst ever day in modern combat history.
Give him some credit, folks.
If I had the ability to leave Fallujah before the Push began, I absolutely would have.
There should be no judgment, no armchair tactician saying what Capa nor any other conflict photographer should have done.
Y'all want those shots? Go take them yourselves, otherwise shut up and enjoy the fact you have the ability to see them, the means to do so and the freedom to complain about them as well.

Phil Forrest
My father was there 6 hours after the initial landing. IT WAS HELL. The first wave had unimaginable casualties. Anyone that was in the water on those first few minutes had to have a pair of them.