Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Argus RF

Argus RF Forum for Argus RF nuts. The American made Argus C-3 may be the most prolific rangefinder, with over 3 million cameras produced! While American RF nutz of the 1950's may have yearned for a Leica, Zeiss, Canon or Nikon, most of them used an Argus !

Argus C44 help requested
Old 08-24-2013   #1
Ed Weatherly

Smile Argus C44 help requested

Yesterday I inherited my dads Argus C44. It is in quite good shape with minor marks but otherwise nice and clean. The focusing is pretty stiff and the rangefinder is dim/foggy. The lens needs a cleaning but looks like it has no issues.

This is the very first 35mm camera I ever held or shot. Around 1972 -1974 timeframe. I shot with it off and on until 1980 when I got a Spotmatic.

I am trying to decide if I just hold on to it for sentimental reasons or get it CLA'd and shoot with it. In all fairness, the photos I took with it were never very good - some of that was caused by light leaks I suspect. I am a VERY different photographer than I was in grade school or middle school though.

If suggestions are for CLA, who do you recommend?

Thanks!

Ed

Old 08-24-2013   #2
farlymac
PF McFarland

I take it you don't want to try this yourself, Ed. You can contact someone in the Argus Collectors Group on Yahoo, or through their web site at http://www.arguscg.org/

I've never done a C-44 before, as I don't have one, but they look similar in build to the C-4, which Rick Oleson has some details on at his web site http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/

PF

Old 08-24-2013   #3
Ed Weatherly

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
I take it you don't want to try this yourself, Ed. You can contact someone in the Argus Collectors Group on Yahoo, or through their web site at http://www.arguscg.org/

I've never done a C-44 before, as I don't have one, but they look similar in build to the C-4, which Rick Oleson has some details on at his web site http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/

PF
Farleymac, never even occurred to me to do it myself but would definitely be worth looking in to it. Thanks for the idea!

Old 08-24-2013   #4
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I opened up my C3 and there's not a whole lot in there...pretty simple...if you have some small screwdrivers and a knack for tinkering...go for it...
pf

Last edited by nikon_sam : 08-24-2013 at 13:04. Reason: corrected my bad spelling...

Old 08-24-2013   #5
Ed Weatherly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
I opened up my C3 and there's not a whole lot in there...pretty simply...if you have some small screwdrivers and a knack for tinkering...go for it...
Thanks Sam!

Old 08-24-2013   #6
Ed Weatherly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
I opened up my C3 and there's not a whole lot in there...pretty simply...if you have some small screwdrivers and a knack for tinkering...go for it...
Thanks Sam!