Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

View Poll Results: What is your go-to lens for street photography?
28mm 27 15.70%
35mm 87 50.58%
50mm 39 22.67%
Other 19 11.05%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2019   #41
Rayt

If I carry one camera then it’ll have a 35mm on it. If I carry two then they’ll have 28/50 mounted.

Old 04-20-2019   #42
maigo

At this time, the 25mm/f4 Voigtlander Skopar Snapshot. On Bessa-L or R4M.
I would really like to try the Voigtlander 28mm/f2 or 21mm/f1.8 but have to sell a few cameras and lenses first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-20-2019   #43
aizan

If i have one body, I'll take a 28mm.

If I have two bodies, I'll take a 28mm and a 50mm.

Old 04-21-2019   #44
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
If i have one body, I'll take a 28mm.

If I have two bodies, I'll take a 28mm and a 50mm.
Lately for me it’s just this. First read about this combination on RFF, being a mostly 35mm Summicron user for twenty years. I then used this combination on a trip to Europe in 2014 with the Monochrom. In Paris, and Nice it was perfect, although in the old city of Nice a 21 would have been better.

There is no wrong answer. I certainly agree with Erik about the 50. And clearly you should stick with what you know and are comfortable with. That might be the most important rule of photography equipment. For years I only had a 50. Once I got more lenses, out to the angle of view of a 21, I was sure I would never need or buy a 28. I now have two. I first used a 28 on an SLR. I think I took one shot. The barrier to the 28 with Leica and glasses is not seeing the frame line clearly in the viewfinder. I think I bought the 28 aspheric 2.8 because it was a good price second hand and very sharp and I wanted to try a modern aspheric on the new Monochrom. I used the ZM 28/25 finder I had for the Zeiss 25, and I think I only used it with the 28 once and then just did without it.

Shooting from the hip works well without much practice with the 28 which is a big advantage. And the Monochrom files are so replete with data that even cropping out most of the frame returns a good enough image for smaller prints. And the 28 2.8 ASPH was the smallest lens in the catalogue of Leica, until the 28 Summaron-M which I also found second hand for a reasonable price. I now use that more than any other lens, tiny and slow, but with the high ISO capability of the Monochrom it doesn't matter. I love compact lenses.

My next trip will be two 28s and one 50. The 35 Summicron is on my M2, today, but I am surprised to find that 28 is my go-to for most things, because it's small.

Old 04-21-2019   #45
willie_901

I don't have a single go to focal length.

Since I had to pick one, I chose the 28mm because I use an 18/2 with an APS-C camera (65 deg. horizontal, 46 deg. vertical and 75 deg. diagonal angles of view). This is mostly for situations where the location's context is of interest and I am free to stand where I need to.

In small crowds I like 50mm (40, 27, and 47 deg.) or 35mm for my camera.

At events or large crowds I occasionally like to use medium telephoto lenses – 75mm (29, 20 and 34 deg.) or 50mm for my camera. With this field of view limited mobility to wade through people is less of an issue.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-21-2019   #46
narsuitus

On the rare occasion when I street shoot with a Contax G1 camera, the 45mm f/2 Zeiss Planar is my go-to lens.

Old 04-21-2019   #47
Takkun
Ian M.

Still a fan of the 50, if I had to pick one lens on one camera. Cut my teeth on a Nikon FTn and the lovely Nikkor-S 50/1.4, and shot with just a plain standard 50 for a long time. (I need to have it AI converted; I miss shooting that lens)

Truth be told, I do tend to use wider lenses more frequently though. 28mm is my last remaining AF lens, and a Voigtlander 25 more or less glued to my RF. So I guess there’s a disconnect between what I like shooting and what I actually shoot with.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 04-25-2019   #48
Teemō

I dabbled with 28mm F2.5 (very compact, fits in a pocket) and 40mm F1.7 (much sharper but slow AF, natural field of view) on digital. 58mm F1.4 or 100mm F2 (quite a compact lens actually) on film. I like 58mm the most - put some good distance between me and the subject, gives 1x viewfinder magnification and gives plenty of flexibility with the 1.4 aperture.

Old 04-25-2019   #49
laurentb

Street for me means 35mm, mainly the Nokton 35/1.4.

It fits my "vision" best, and the 1.4 aperture is great to have if the light is low or if I want some oof areas.

Old 04-25-2019   #50
bayernfan

Richard Kalvar shares his insights on the 35mm lens for street photography:

https://www.magnumphotos.com/theory-...on-of-feeling/

Old 04-25-2019   #51
maddoc
... likes film.

40mm, the Summicron-C. A 40 mm lens has a FoV that is close to the horizontal visual attention zone of the human eye.

flickr
pBase

Old 04-26-2019   #52
telenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
40mm, the Summicron-C. A 40 mm lens has a FoV that is close to the horizontal visual attention zone of the human eye.
It's a great focal length and a gem of a lens. Wide, but not too much, just enough to constrict an anarchic frame. It's not a lens without flaws (it flares a bit more than later designs, has somewhat weak corners etc.) but when you get the hang of it it's capable for beautiful b&w. Had it , sold it, repurchased it. Lesson learned.

PS. Can't give a straightforward answer to the poll. I use most of all 35mm and 50mm but equally so. When I take one body, one lens (not very often) it's the aforementioned 40mm. Generally speaking, different places/situations call for different focal lengths.

flickr
instagram

Old 04-26-2019   #53
nickthetasmaniac

Voigtlander 28/f2 Ultron.

28mm because it's wide enough to give context, but not so wide as to distort excessively towards the edges. I've also found that using the whole M2 viewfinder gives a good approximation of 28mm.

The Voigtlander because it's fast, has excellent ergonomics and build, not too large, and has no optical defects that bother me enough to affect the way I shoot. It's also considerably cheaper than a 28mm Summicron

If I'm traveling I'll usually add the 90mm Tele Elmarit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
...seems weird to limit yourself to one focal length with today's tech
I find that shooting a single prime helps me to develop a consistent 'style' with my photography. Personally, this is more important that having catch-it-all versatility.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 04-26-2019   #54
zwicko

It used to be 35mm but I'm opting for 50mm nowadays.
Either the C-Sonnar, the Planar, Nokton 1.5/50mm or the Canon 1.4/50mm for my M5.

Old 04-26-2019   #55
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I've been doing street photography for most of the 40-odd years I've been shooting, and have taken candid street photos that pleased me using everything from a 12~24 zoom up to a 300 2.8 with 1.4 converter.
For me there is no Central Dogma regarding lens choice. The lens that gives the picture you want in any particular situation is the go-to one at that particular time and in that particular place.
Robert

Old 04-26-2019   #56
gnuyork

50 is my preference, but every now and then I wonder if I would like trying a 28.

Old 04-26-2019   #57
iphoenix

Mine is the Canon 25/3.5 on my M6 or 111F. Mostly when holidaying.

Old 04-26-2019   #58
jarski

Just moved to Bangkok and decided to get Sony E 20mm pancake for my a6300. Hopefully 30mm equivalent is not too wide for my street shots (“If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough,”). Anyway, am calling the combo as my poor mans Ricoh GRIII, which was inspiration to get the lens in the first place

(yes the lens in considered mediocre by collective wisdom of Interwebs, but having a small camera was the key factor here)

Old 04-27-2019   #59
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
Just moved to Bangkok and decided to get Sony E 20mm pancake for my a6300. Hopefully 30mm equivalent is not too wide for my street shots (“If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough,”). Anyway, am calling the combo as my poor mans Ricoh GRIII, which was inspiration to get the lens in the first place

(yes the lens in considered mediocre by collective wisdom of Interwebs, but having a small camera was the key factor here)
It'll be good enough for photography... enjoy it!

Old 04-27-2019   #60
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
Pick one, that's what I do before I go out for the day; any will do for me.

Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 R WR lens

Fujinon XF 18mm f2 R WR lens

Fujinon XF 23mm f2 R WR lens

Fujinon XF 35mm f2 R WR lens

Fujinon XF 50mm f2 R WR lens

Voigtlander 21mm f1.8 Ultron VM lens

Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron VM lens

Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 Nokton II VM lens

Voigtlander 35mm f2 Ultron VM lens

Voigtlander 40mm f2 Ultron Aspherical SL (M42 mount)

Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens

Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 Nokton VM lens

Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 Nokton VM lens

Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 Heliar Vintage Line VM lens

Voigtlander 50mm f2.0 Heliar Classic VM lens (Limited Edition)

Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 Heliar with LTM adaptor lens (101th Limited Edition)

Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 Heliar Classic VM lens

Voigtlander 90mm f3.5 APO-Lanthar LTM lens

Zeiss Biogon T* 21mm f2.8 ZM lens

Zeiss Biogon T* 25mm f2.8 ZM lens

Zeiss Biogon T* 28mm f2.8 ZM lens

Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens

Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f2 ZM lens

Zeiss Tele-Tessar T* 85mm f4 ZM lens

Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC lens (15mm-30mm on Sd Quattro)

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC "Contemporary" lens (25mm-105mm on Sd Quattro)

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC "Art" lens (27mm-52mm on Sd Quattro)

Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG lens (26mm on Sd Quattro H)

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG lens (32mm-93mm on Sd Quattro H)

Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX DG lens (37mm on Sd Quattro H)

Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC "Art" lens (45mm on Sd Quattro H)

Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG "Art" lens (46mm on Sd Quattro H)

Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG lens (66mm on Sd Quattro H)

Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG lens (113mm on Sd Quattro H)

Mike

I'm curious why you'd post this, what does it add? It doesn't answer the question, and seems like you're just bragging about your gear collection. There has to be one lens that ends up on the body more than any other.

I mean, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just curious what the point of listing this all out is.

Old 04-27-2019   #61
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
I'm curious why you'd post this, what does it add? It doesn't answer the question, and seems like you're just bragging about your gear collection. There has to be one lens that ends up on the body more than any other.
RFF is a camera forum, so talking about your gear is the point.

Old 04-27-2019   #62
zenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
RFF is a camera forum, so talking about your gear is the point.
Except it doesn't answer the question. It's just a list all all his lenses and adds nothing to the discussion.

I'm a 35mm shooter myself. Was stuck with a 50mm for a few months during a move and I felt like I was shooting through a keyhole!

Old 04-27-2019   #63
nightfly

Been bouncing back and forth between 28, 35 and 50. I find the more I'm shooting, the better I'm able to utilize a wider lens.

If I haven't shot for a while, the 50 works well but eventually, I like to shake things up and challenge myself to fill the frame using a wider lens.

Old 04-27-2019   #64
vbsoto

Most of my "street" work is with my Oly c5050 at the moment. I zoom in occasionally, but most of the time its zoomed out to its max 35mm eq.

Old 04-27-2019   #65
narsuitus

On the rare occasion when I street shoot with a Canon Canonet QL17 G-III 35mm rangefinder camera, the fixed 40mm f/1.7 is my go-to lens.

Old 04-27-2019   #66
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
I mean, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just curious what the point of listing this all out is.
*Edit*

Screw it.

You can't please everybody so you gotta please yourself.

Done with it.

Mike

Old 04-27-2019   #67
Michael I.

28 for slr. 24 sometimes
35 for rf, just bought a 28 to see how it works for me

Old 04-27-2019   #68
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I am partial to the 50

The Canon 50mm f 1.5 or the shimmed Jupiter 3 is usually my pick from my bevy of classic RF 50 mils.

Old 04-28-2019   #69
airfrogusmc

This set up for me

Old 04-28-2019   #70
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I must have wrong eyes, I'm finding 21mm to be my what I'm able to see and understand zone.

Old 04-29-2019   #71
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I’ve been shooting street photography for several years. I’ve developed techniques for getting in close to people and getting off a shot undetected; I was invisible. But, it wasn’t always that way. When I first started street I was nervous, heck, I was scared. Then with time I became more comfortable, and eventually I became the invisible stealthy guy that would invade a person's space without regard for their privacy or even dignity sometimes just to get the shot! Any camera, any lens, I made it work.

Well, I’m done with street photography. At least I’m done with the in-your-face privacy invasion style of street photography. Why this change? I don’t know. It’s kind of like when I quit smoking cigars; I woke up one morning and that was that, I quit.

What does this have to do with “What’s my go to lens for street photography?”... Nothing.

Have a great day,
Mike

Old 04-29-2019   #72
Paulbe

Y Mike--well said! You must have refilled your glass--- :-) !!
And I really like your photos. Thanks...
Paul

Old 04-29-2019   #73
zuiko85

I voted ‘other’ because although my preference is a 28mm f3.5 Zuiko. You see it is the 4 element version on an original Olympus Pen viewfinder camera. The angle of view is equivalent to about a 40mm on a full frame camera.

Old 04-29-2019   #74
raid
Dad Photographer

The lens on the iPhone may be one of the most suitable lenses for street photography. Nobody feels "attacked" by a photographer.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-29-2019   #75
Bingley

90% of my non-street photography is done w/ a 50, and I still use 50 for street as well.

But my go-to lens for street photography is a 35, either the Canon 35/2.0 on a Leica M, or an Olympus XA. Mainly it has to do with distance from the subject and how the subject fills up the frame. With a 35mm fov, I can be 10 ft away from a subject (my comfort zone) and get the subject's entire body in the frame (unless very tall). To get the same effect with a 28, I'd have to move in closer... to close for me. With a 50, I'm shooting street at a greater distance than 10 ft, or going for shots that capture a part of the subject.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 04-29-2019   #76
Erik van Straten

If I have both a 50mm and a 35mm with me, I always hesitate which lens I will use. As a result, I lose my concentration. If I bring one lens, I don't have that problem. The majority of my successful photos are with the 50 mm, so I only take a 50 mm with me.

Leica M3, Summicron rigid 50mm f/2, Tmax400, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 04-29-2019   #77
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Y Mike--well said! You must have refilled your glass--- :-) !!
And I really like your photos. Thanks...
Paul
Thank you, Paul, I appreciate your kind words.

Mike

Old 04-29-2019   #78
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
If I have both a 50mm and a 35mm with me, I always hesitate which lens I will use. As a result, I lose my concentration. If I bring one lens, I don't have that problem. The majority of my successful photos are with the 50 mm, so I only take a 50 mm with me.

Leica M3, Summicron rigid 50mm f/2, Tmax400, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

I will return to using the 50 as my main lens. During the summer vacation I will leave my 35mm lens home and I will instead take with me a 50mm lens.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-30-2019   #79
leicapixie

I hate making decisions on my street shooting!
I agree with Erik, keep it simple.
I think that "most" use 35mm as it's easiest frame to see in modern M's..
The 28mm frame almost disappears, the 50mm miserable and inaccurate.
I started with M3, 50mm Collapsible-Summicron, Uv filter and hood.
I very occasionally take a spare roll...
Oh! 52 years later still my main camera kit!

40mm Summicron-C
Old 04-30-2019   #80
Gary E

40mm Summicron-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
40mm Rokkor.

Because street photography decisions are fast, I think it is good to use a focal length that shows you the scene as you see it so that you can compose intuitively. As much as I love Windogrand's work, for example, I had a lot of trouble composing with 28mm because it is not my visual field of awareness. I find the 40mm to cover almost exactly what I am aware of seeing.
Same here though I use the 40mm Summicron-C. It was my first Leica Lens on my first Leica body, and it was the only combo I used for over a year; I couldn't afford another lens or body at the time. I learned to see with this and later moved on to a 50mm, but I last counted my photos with 40mm or 50mm and surprisingly they're almost even.

I tried to love the 28mm but just couldn't get into the grove. I was thinking it was the use of the external finder which causes me to shift from RF to VF, but I still haven't a clue.
Sony FE used to call me but now Fuji GFX is ringing in my ears

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!