Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Considering a Canon New F-1, tell me about them
Old 06-01-2018   #1
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Considering a Canon New F-1, tell me about them

Iíve been on a nostalgia kick for a few years inexpensively picking up cameras I either used to own (Nikon F, Pentax MX) or always wanted (Nikon FM2A and F5.) One camera I always admired back in the day but never owned was the Canon New F-1 (not the earlier all mechanical F-1 or F-1n.) I use these cameras sparingly, but nevertheless enjoy them.

The New F-1 was an interesting competitor to the F3 back in the 80s. I was all Nikon and Leica at the time, but one stringer from another paper had a pair of them. I thought they were pretty neat, too bad they were Canons. ;-)

I just fell into a AE Motor FN and AA battery pack for a song, so I think Iím going to keep an eye out for a clean New F-1 with the AE prism and one or two lenses. Is there anything I should watch out for? Who is the repair guru for Canons of this era in the case I want a CLA?

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff