Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

Nikon D850 Hits it Out of the Park - Saving Nikon
Old 07-26-2017   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Nikon D850 Hits it Out of the Park - Saving Nikon

So, you think the thread title is a bit over the top?
hmmmm......probably not according to my Nikon spymaster.

The Nikon D850 is not just a new Nikon,
its a new class of DSLR,
a DSLR - EVF hybrid!

You will be able to switch quickly from SLR to EVF for all advantages of both!

Silent shutter, high speed shutter, focus peaking - not a problem with EVF!

Better daylight viewing and focusing - not a problem with DSLR.

Expect 4K video and 42MP sensor.

With the D850 Nikon leapfrogs over all the Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus competition,
once again putting Nikon at the top.

-------------------------
EDIT

it ain't over until the D850 is introduced
while Nikon Rumors says there is no hybrid finder
others are not so sure

DPReview

DIYPhotography

SonyAlphaRumors

Flickr

PhotographyLife

UberGizmo

Time will tell

Old 07-26-2017   #2
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

So when is it ... Coming Out ?

Old 07-26-2017   #3
splitimageview

well they announced the 'development' of the 850 at least.

Old 07-26-2017   #4
Huss

Cool. I like that they got rid of the pop up flash. I find those things very low rent, it is pretty lousy on my D750, but when I use a real flash the pics are excellent.
They most prob had to get rid of it to get space to make the hybrid vf.

I still am hoping for a pure EVF FF f mount Nikon. So I can adapt all the lenses I already have, as well as use my Nikon glass.

Funny thing is I always get briefly excited by a new digi cam announcement, then realize I much prefer shooting film.

Old 07-26-2017   #5
jsrockit

Anything in these photos suggesting this is true?

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/26/b...s-leaked.aspx/

Meaning... are there any button differences or anything from the D810? I honestly do not know the D810 enough to know.

Old 07-26-2017   #6
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Cool. I like that they got rid of the pop up flash. I find those things very low rent
The pop-up flash is really great for easy and quick flash slave control. It's also good for a very small amount of fill-flash in some situations if you need it.

Running around on weddings and commercial events I have made use of these features on many occasions. Of course it's not "the best" solution, but "the best" option is not always possible to have on hand or perhaps your flash/radio trigger batteries just ran out at the end of a long session or event.

So that's really disappointing to me if true.

I want to pick up another D800 or two for my business so new D8xx is good though for me being able to pick them up cheaper .

Old 07-26-2017   #7
ptpdprinter

It is still going to be big and heavy and plasticy.

Old 07-26-2017   #8
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
The pop-up flash is really great for easy and quick flash slave control.
Good point, and it is how I've been using mine when I scan my film.

Old 07-26-2017   #9
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
So when is it ... Coming Out ?
Most likely the production announcement will be in September.

If I start saving now, I should be able to afford one about a year after its replacement hits the shelves.

PF

Old 07-26-2017   #10
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Most likely the production announcement will be in September.

If I start saving now, I should be able to afford one about a year after its replacement hits the shelves.

PF
Me too sir...then a few more years to get a nice AF lens to go with it.

Old 07-26-2017   #11
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

When is that mirrorless full frame digital camera disguised as a Nikon SP gonna show up?

Old 07-26-2017   #12
michaelwj
----------------

Isn't that just a Sony SLT..? Except the Sony SLT actually exists.

Old 07-26-2017   #13
jazzwave

Hmmm interesting, thinking to upgrade my D600 ...(GAS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
When is that mirrorless full frame digital camera disguised as a Nikon SP gonna show up?
Nikon has to think harder about exit planning to save the company. They have to learn from Fuji (or Olympus), the company that almost shutdown because couldn't compete in DSLR and compact camera world. They survived by release "new genre" camera, mirrorless with RF looks.

Nikon has advance photography technologies can apply to new camera ( beside DSLR line).
I believe if they create new Fullframe Mirroless (RF or SP looks) camera, Nikon can compete with Fuji X or Sony A7

~ron~

Last edited by jazzwave : 07-26-2017 at 20:48. Reason: add

Old 07-26-2017   #14
Archlich

Won't gonna have an EVF (not very exciting even if it does - I mean why bother?). Just another big DSLR, a good one though.

I also doubt if a $3,000+ camera alone could save the boat. If it could, the D810 would have done that already.

They need cameras with a STORY to generate the hype, then follow up with small, excellent, and budget friendly cameras of that class to swarm the market. For now, they have none.

Old 07-26-2017   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

EVFs are extremely easy to focus manually with their ability of magnification and peak focusing. In poor light they are a no brainer over an optical finder.

Old 07-26-2017   #16
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I thought the problem with Nikon was the lack of a proper mirrorless line?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 07-27-2017   #17
gavinlg

This thing is going to be hot. Tempted to try and grab one, and a couple of Zeiss ZFs to assess when it's out.

Old 07-27-2017   #18
peterm1

A big risk for companies when a game changing technology comes onto the scene is the temptation to "stick to their knitting" and hold onto producing technology that may be a dead end in the new world because it has always worked before. I wonder if this will be so for Nikon with its long and illustrious line of SLR/DSLRs. The problem is the more successful they have been in the past, the more reluctant they are to change (and the more difficult given their investment in that technology in terms of skills, knowledge, production line set up costs, marketing, R and D, etc etc) . While I still love my Nikon DSLR, I find myself picking up an M4/3 camera more and more because lugging one of those DSLR dinosaurs and its huge lenses around is just such a chore. If too many people do this...............

Let us hope that the hybrid approach is a "toe in the water" which will see more evolution and ongoing success.

Old 07-27-2017   #19
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
They need cameras with a STORY to generate the hype, then follow up with small, excellent, and budget friendly cameras of that class to swarm the market. For now, they have none.
I think the days of this class of camera are over. Nikon will now stick to up-market pro and semi-pro products rather than trying to compete with ever more capable smartphones.

Old 07-27-2017   #20
infrequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Nikon will now stick to up-market pro and semi-pro products rather than trying to compete with ever more capable smartphones.
You are mostly on the money there. I still wish they make a mirrorless, fixed focal length camera to compete with the Fuji X70 + X100 lines. Like a digital version of their 28/35Ti of yore.

Old 07-27-2017   #21
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I thought the problem with Nikon was the lack of a proper mirrorless line?
It depends on who you ask. Many have suggested its because they don't have a digital SP.

Old 07-27-2017   #22
JoeLopez

It would be interesting to see a sales breakdown of the models over the last 5 years or so. D5, D810, D7xxx etc.

One would think Nikon would benefit much more from something like mirrorless technology than a new expensive pro body?

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 07-27-2017   #23
jazzwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrequent View Post
You are mostly on the money there. I still wish they make a mirrorless, fixed focal length camera to compete with the Fuji X70 + X100 lines. Like a digital version of their 28/35Ti of yore.
Yes, Nikon has Coolpix A (APSc sensor, fixed lens) to compete with the Fuji X70 + X100 lines. But they failed in the market, people love Fuji or Ricoh GR more .

~ron~

Old 07-27-2017   #24
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzwave View Post
Yes, Nikon has Coolpix A (APSc sensor, fixed lens) to compete with the Fuji X70 + X100 lines. But they failed in the market, people love Fuji or Ricoh GR more .

~ron~
The Coolpix A used the very same sensor as in the Ricoh but in a larger, clunkier body and not nearly as slick UI. The software processing images in-camera was also different, yielding another 'look'. Ricoh has never lost sight of what a GR is supposed to be and this has kept its small but loyal audience.

Old 07-27-2017   #25
JoeLopez

Quote:

~ron~
I loved the images from my Coolpix A, it was a very nice camera. I waited until I could buy a Nikon refurb for $350. It had the D7000 sensor and fit easily into a pants pocket.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 07-27-2017   #26
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
EVFs are extremely easy to focus manually with their ability of magnification and peak focusing. In poor light they are a no brainer over an optical finder.
Only thing is that if you're used to wearing polarized prescription sunglasses in bright sunlight, you will have a hard time seeing anything out of an EVF (depending on the alignment of the polarization in your glasses). I tried a Leica SL for two weeks and in low light/cloudy days it was great - in bright sunlight with my sunglasses on, couldn't see a thing.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 07-27-2017   #27
Vobluda

Having try all three cameras both Nikon and Fuji failed in their product. Nothing to do with the market, both were simply obsolete when released.

Quote:

~ron~

Old 07-27-2017   #28
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
Having try all three cameras both Nikon and Fuji failed in their product. Nothing to do with the market, both were simply obsolete when released.
Ricoh GR still out there and has a loyal, albeit small, following.
Not obsolete as its simplicity is its greatest virtue.

Old 07-27-2017   #29
willie_901

Quote:
The pop-up flash is really great for easy and quick flash slave control. It's also good for a very small amount of fill-flash in some situations if you need it.

My experience is similar. A very low pop-up flash power that won't affect the photo can trigger a sensitive slave flash, which can, in turn, trigger other slaves.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-27-2017   #30
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
This is my experience also with EVFs for MF in poor light.

Even in poor light the best EVFs have minimal lag (delay between what you saw and when it happened), but it's not zero. These also lose very little detail in poor light where high display gains are required.

Some EVFs flicker when the dominant light source is modulated (fluorescent and some LEDs).
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-27-2017   #31
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I think the days of this class of camera are over. Nikon will now stick to up-market pro and semi-pro products rather than trying to compete with ever more capable smartphones.

Mostly over, but not completely. Lots of folks out there with an enormous amount of cash sunk into the F mount or too used to the way Nikons work to relearn another who may be reticent to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post

Even in poor light the best EVFs have minimal lag (delay between what you saw and when it happened), but it's not zero. These also lose very little detail in poor light where high display gains are required.

Some EVFs flicker when the dominant light source is modulated (fluorescent and some LEDs).
The Leica SL's EVF is really the gold standard. If they can match or beat that, they will have achieved a lot in regaining some lost confidence and customers. This will be a great boon for the Zeiss 'F' mount line. Great news.

Old 07-27-2017   #32
ronnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post

My experience of EVFs isn't good. Admittedly I've only tried them in shops and maybe I've not tried the best. The last one I tried was a Sony A7 of some description. The main problem I have is the lag in the EVF when I move the camera about. It just makes me feel slightly nauseous.

Ronnie

Old 07-27-2017   #33
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnies View Post
My experience of EVFs isn't good. Admittedly I've only tried them in shops and maybe I've not tried the best. The last one I tried was a Sony A7 of some description. The main problem I have is the lag in the EVF when I move the camera about. It just makes me feel slightly nauseous.

Ronnie
I get no lag with my A7s and I moving it about nearly all the time maintaining focus on often fast moving horses.

I thought that I wouldn`t like EVF`s based on what I`d read so was pleasantly surprised to find they`re actually bloody marvelous

Old 07-27-2017   #34
DavidKKHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
...Funny thing is I always get briefly excited by a new digi cam announcement, then realize I much prefer shooting film.
+1

Though I was close to getting two Nikon digital cameras in the past few years, they were the Coolpix A and Nikon Df. But after a while I felt the Coolpix A came up a bit short, especially since the new generation Ricoh GR was announced one month after the Coolpix A and that felt more of a "photographer's camera" than the Coolpix A. Some of the improvements Nikon could have added via firmware (like Ricoh does), but that never happened. And I was expecting the Nikon Df to be more like a digital FM3a. But the lack of interchangeable focus screens was a biggie for me. Plus there's waaaay too many buttons on the Df to be a simplified digital back for my manual focus F-mount lenses.

I feel it's regrettable that Nikon didn't follow up on those two cameras with tweaks and releasing a version 2 of those cameras. So close, Nikon. So close.

Hope the D850 is a winner for Nikon regardless.

Old 07-27-2017   #35
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
So, you think the thread title is a bit over the top?.
Until it actually exists.....yes.

Old 07-27-2017   #36
phrons

Isn't the battle when it comes to Nikon vs Canon is the AF and the professional services tiers?

It seems to me that it has nothing really to do with the camera body and features at all (the AF advantage canon has is in the lens, thats why they went from FD to EOS).

For reference, I have a Nikon S2 and F3 as my main 35mm shooters.

Old 07-27-2017   #37
kxl
Social Documentary

The reason I did not upgrade from a D800e to a D810 was to see what's next. This is it.

I'm in. And if this becomes generally available by Q1 2018, the timing would be perfect for me.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 07-27-2017   #38
Ronald M

Quote:

Running around on weddings and commercial events I have made use of these features on many occasions. Of course it's not "the best" solution, but "the best" option is not always possible to have on hand or perhaps your flash/radio trigger batteries just ran out at the end of a long session or event.

So that's really disappointing to me if true.

I want to pick up another D800 or two for my business so new D8xx is good though for me being able to pick them up cheaper .
As you discovered, the best flash is the one you have. I have brackets and two 950, but the one on camera is best.

Dual finder. Where do I preorder?

Old 07-27-2017   #39
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
It depends on who you ask. Many have suggested its because they don't have a digital SP.
I'm not sure a digital SP is going to make them successful again. Too niche no?

Old 07-28-2017   #40
Timmyjoe

Well it looks like the EVF was an incorrect rumor. What I've seen posted today is that the D850 will be a standard DSLR with OVF, no Hybrid VF or EVF.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available