Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Gone all Pentax
Old 12-19-2010   #1
Turves

Gone all Pentax

Months ago I got interested in rangefinder cameras and started on this forum to see what was worth owning and what was worth steering away from.

Among some of my purchases over the year was a Spotmatic, with an f2 50mm. Then I purchased some Pentax fixed tele lenses, and today I got a 28mm 3.5 lens.

Getting good lenses with minimal apparant wear, few marks and no fungus has been a pretty painless and relativley cheap exercise. Around $200 for a body and 4 lenses, some with cases, all with hoods and caps.

The next trick is to see how good the images are. I have shot off some Colour and B&W and will get them processed this week.

I know this is a RF forum, but using an old manual SLR is like returning to a comfortable place. One day I must take the time to learn to use my RF. But for now I am enjoying the Pentax.

Old 12-19-2010   #2
ChrisN
Striving

Hard to go wrong with a good Spotmatic, if the focusing style suits you. Mike Johnston had some nice things to say about their 50mm lenses here. I'm still hoping to find a good 50/1.4 at a reasonable price some day.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 12-19-2010   #3
lxmike
Barnack fan

My photgraphic journey started with Pentax, a Pentax MV back in 1981, a neighbour who was in his late 50's had a very comprehensive spotmatic collection with some rare Pentax glass. 'Just hold a Pentax' was the selling caveat at the time. As for myself, I favoured the bayonet system as opposed to the screw system of the spotmatic, my favourite would be the Pentax MX and the Pentax M series SMC glass but with the rise of the DSLR and the fact that pentax manual lenses can be used on them, prices have risen on Pentax glass. The SMC M 50 1.7 was my fav, the m42 fit Taumar 28 3.5 has a good reputation and will work well for you. Enjoy your Pentax

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 12-19-2010   #4
John Lawrence

I've just passed a huge amount of Pentax gear on to a camera dealer on behalf of a friend, and I was pleasantly surprised by just how good the cameras and lenses were.

John

Old 12-19-2010   #5
lxmike
Barnack fan

For me the ultimate Pentax is the LX, hence my user name LXMIKE

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

Old 12-19-2010   #6
John Lawrence

I thought about an LX some time ago, but as I already had a Nikon F2 and Nikon lenses didn't go for one.

I was pretty impressed with the cameras and lenses I passed to the dealer though. Of those bodies my favourite was the MX - if there had been an LX with them I'd have probably kept it!

John

Old 12-19-2010   #7
lxmike
Barnack fan

the lx is very well made, has superb metering, (off the film plane), its quite heavy, but if you are used to lugging the F2 arround then the Lx will not be a problem

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

Old 12-19-2010   #8
John Lawrence

Tempting, and it is nearly Christmas ....

John

Old 12-19-2010   #9
lxmike
Barnack fan

They still attract quite high prices second hand, the so called associated sticky mirror syndrome is an easy fix, its just replacing a degraded small rubber mirror buffer, apart from that they tend to be bullit proof

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

Old 12-19-2010   #10
robin a

I've had a SP 1000 for years,50 1.4.Just superb................

Robin

Old 12-19-2010   #11
pobe

I had an MX for a while, great camera. Sold it when I got my Canon P, now I'm all rangefinder for the film. Still use a Pentax DSLR though, so I kept the lenses... The SMC-M 50/1.7 is a great lens that can be found quite cheap.

Old 12-19-2010   #12
zumbido
bees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Hard to go wrong with a good Spotmatic, if the focusing style suits you. Mike Johnston had some nice things to say about their 50mm lenses here. I'm still hoping to find a good 50/1.4 at a reasonable price some day.
What's a reasonable price? They can be had from $25-$50 on ebay depending on your timing. In good condition.

Old 12-19-2010   #13
jwnash1

I bought my first Spotmatic in 1969. Still have a MX which I shoot occasionally. More Important, I have a number of screwmount lenses that I use on my K10D and I use the the 35 and 28 with an adapter on my FED 2. No rangefinder coupling but the results are great.
John

Old 12-19-2010   #14
bucs

My main user is a Spotmatic F and 50mm s-m-c takumar 50mm 1.4

i have the s-m-c takumar 28mm and russian jupiter-9 but i just don't use them quite often. 28mm is too wide for me while 85mm is too narrow (plus the Jupiter can be quite heavy at times).

would like to try a 35mm. maybe that would suit me better haha

Old 12-19-2010   #15
Roger Hicks

For the ultra-purists, the SV was (I think) the last model before they moved factories; the last 'classic' Pentax -- and of course there was no meter, so it's the camera for the M1-2-3-4 brigade. For me, an SV (I have two) is as close as you can get to a reflex Leica -- closer than Leicaflexes.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-19-2010   #16
charjohncarter

I still use my Pentax equipment a lot. They are a little more compact than other SLRs and work beautifully. My Spotmatic with the F1.4 still amazes me. The only other 35mm I have that beats it is my Leica IIIf with f 3.5 Elmar.

Old 12-19-2010   #17
Michael Markey

A Pentax use here too.
An ME Super from a departed in law many moons ago with a 50/1.7 ,100/2.8 and a 125/ 2.8.
Saw an LX for sale couple of months ago .
Dealer wanted 229 ,I think ...it hung around for weeks but went eventually.

Old 12-19-2010   #18
julio1fer

Another Pentax SLR user, K-1000 and ME (and maybe a digital soon). Good glass, compact and reliable bodies - what else could a body need?

Old 12-19-2010   #19
BTMarcais

I have a SPII, a black MX, PZ1-P and K10d, all see use (although I'm still more likely to shoot the leica's when I'm out and about)
That 50mm f/1.4 SMC is hard to beat!

-Brian

Old 12-19-2010   #20
NickTrop

Takumars are the poor man's Cron.

Old 12-19-2010   #21
Nando

I have a nice Pentax K-mount kit built around two MX bodies. Much of the kit was passed down to me by a good friend who went digital. I always prefered RF's and there was just something about SLR's, that I've never really liked. I've used Canon, Nikon and Pentax and they always seemed clunky and unrefined like a Jeep... its hard to explain. They got the job done however, and I used them when I had to.

Then enter the Spotmatic II with a 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar. It was love! The camera and lenses are so smooth and so nicely built. The lenses are relatively small and light in weight. I was able to build a very extensive kit for relatively little money.

The camera is such a joy to use and the lenses are top-notch! The viewfinder is not the biggest nor the brightest but I find it very nice and easy to focus. I prefer the Spotmatic's microprism centre as it doesn't black-out when I use wide angles or telephotos. The meter on my example is also very accurate. The shutter is a bit loud but it has a nice sound. Dirk from JapanExposures arranged for Hirano-san to build me a beautiful half-case for the Spotmatic that silences the shutter a little bit.

Spotty with Hirano Case by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr

Spotty and the Takumars™ by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr

I still use my Leicas and Bessas for the majority of my photography but I love the Spotmatic just as much.

I'll likely be selling off my K-mount kit sometime in the new year.

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Last edited by Nando : 12-19-2010 at 13:05.

Old 12-19-2010   #22
NickTrop

I just love the lenses - from M42 to K-mount. Taks have some of the best bokeh and color rendition. I think I paid all of 10 bucks for a yellowed 8 element 50 1.4 non-super multicoated M42 Tak with a radioactive element that was as yellow as as a sunflower. A few weeks tanning on a windowsill and it's good as new. The focusing ring is a thing of beauty. I filed a little ridge in it and did some surgery on an M-42 K-mount adapter to make it a K-mount lens... I got a Nikon adapter (with glass, and contrary to popular opinion, they work fine on Nikons) and it's a wonderful portrait lens on my DSLR (guess metering, generally accurate...) Got a dandilion chip on its way, and I might just make this a permanent f1.4 portrait lens. Or, I might spring for another $10-20 bucks and get a SMC 55/f1.8, as I prefer the portrait lens to be a little longer focal length than a 50, and that gets you to around 85mm on APSC. Just loves me the old Taks... Beautifully made, the focusing just gluides - and thankfully they're totally undervalued unlike Zeiss and Leica lenses... and you're not losing out in terms of IQ. They're right up there with the best of them at a fraction of the price of a name lens. That's the value of Pentax - it's not the camera bodies, it's the ample supply of high-quality lenses, beautifully crafted, with stunning IQ (esp. bokeh and color rendition), that are practically free.

Old 12-19-2010   #23
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Not a Pentax devotee, but I'll probably never get rid of my 200/4 SMC Takumar:

Old 12-19-2010   #24
squirrel$$$bandit

I don't have any film Pentax gear anymore, but recently returned to the brand by getting the K-5 and a couple of FA Limiteds. The K-5 is freaking perfect--I love it. I also used to have, and really liked, the LX and Spotmatic F. I've been lusting after an SV for a while, though.

Old 12-19-2010   #25
DNG
Film Friendly

I use Pentax Film now, sold the K20d and all the AF lenses...
I used the $$ to buy a lens for my Leica, and also a Pentax Super Program with a Pentax M 40mm f/2.8 pancake, with a Vivatar 28/2 (Kino) and a G1 with a 20mm f/1.7..

The S-Program is a great camera. The same size as the MX.
I also have a K1000 my sister sent me. another great K mount manual SLR.

Some really nice PK glass is out there, and my buy will be a Pentax 135 f/2.5 and a Pentax 50 f/4 macro. + a m4/3 > PK adapter.

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 35mm f/2 O N/Ai 50mm f/1.4 S N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 12-19-2010   #26
unixrevolution

As you can probably tell by the link to pentaxforums in my signature, I am a Pentaxian as well. It all started with my Dad, who had an ME super while I was growing up. To me, the Pentax was a "real camera", everything else was not.

When I decided to get into photography I got a Pentax K1000 with the attitude that a manual camera would force me to "sink or swim." It taught me, along with some books, a lot of useful things about taking photographs, and got me off to a bigger jump-start than any auto-everything DSLR ever could have.

Now I shoot Pentax digital as well, and not having to ditch all my old lenses when making the transition was a good thing. My original K1000 died, but I currently have a K10D DSLR, as well as an MX, My dad's original ME super, A Super Program, an LX, as well as an SV, and a Spotmatic, and an arrangement of Takumar screwmount lenses and a combinaton of Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron K-mount lenses.

I adore my Pentax cameras. I've held SLRs both new and old from most other brands and none of them feel or seem to work quite as well. The old slogan is true.

As for my individual impressions of the cameras, the SV is godlike mechanical SLR bliss. The Spotmatic is nearly as good and the addition of a meter helps immensely with its actual usefulness, especially with things like macro bellows.

The MX is an amazingly tiny little camera. Fully mechanical and metered, gorgeous to hold, and light. I take it out often.

The LX is constructed of Magic. It's low-light metering is almost never wrong. Gotta love Off-the-film metering. Interchangeable finders and mirror-lock-up rock too.

Super Program is all about convenience and features, though I don't like using it in low light because the LCD displays are hard to read. Still, in daylight it's just about my favorite film body, with the LX starting to nudge it off the podium.

And my K10D of course is excellent too. Weather-sealed and intuitive with a ton of features, and most of the controls physical and easily accessed without menu diving.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 12-19-2010   #27
Arlen
photographe d'exception

I am a heavy Pentax user as well. I love puttiing the old lenses on my Pentax K20D. Stunning results with the SMC M 50/1.4.

I have many film bodies including the MX, MV, Spotmatic, K1000, ME Super, Superprogram, P3. I am a collector.

As far as the lenses go, I have too many to mention here.

My favourite setup is the MX with the 50/1.4. They were made for each other.

Enjoy shooting your Pentax. If you have any spacific needs like lenses or filters, PM me and I'll see what I can do at a reasonable price.

Old 12-19-2010   #28
charjohncarter

I only use two lenses on my K10d; the 35mm f 2.0 (the last one), and a 20mm f 2.8 (Ithink). No zooms for me these also add to the compactness of the camera.

Old 12-19-2010   #29
chrism

I just developed a film today from an ME Super SE. I have a K1000, another ME Super, an MX, and, more embarrassingly an SF-1a and an SF-10. Fortunately I kept my 1970's and 1980's lenses. Very comfortable to use, perhaps more so than the OMs and Nikon Fs that compete for attention during my limited evil SLR time.

Chris

Old 12-19-2010   #30
Ranchu
-

I'm curious about people's opinions of the S1a/H1a? I'm considerind it as my first Pentax but I have never handled one?

Very much appreciated!!

Wow
Old 12-19-2010   #31
Turves

Wow

I did not think this post would generate so much affection for the Pentax.But it is a good camera.MT

Old 12-19-2010   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

I have several Pentax cameras, with some lenses. The 50/1.4 SMC and the 85mm/1.8 SMC are first quality lenses by any standards. I also use a 17mm/4 in K mount.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-19-2010   #33
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I started with Canon SLRs then used Nikons for nearly 20 years.
I switched to Pentax about ten years ago. I am finally "home".

There are many good reasons to choose Pentax, including the fact
that one of the best repairmen in the business specializes in Pentax.
His name is Eric Hendrickson.
For anyone interested here is his website: http://www.pentaxs.com

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt : 12-20-2010 at 06:14.

Old 12-19-2010   #34
Charlie

The KX was my first real camera and it was built like a tank. Bought an LX in 1981 and it was, unfortunately, a piece of junk with nothing but electrical problems. Pentax "fixed" it three times under warranty, but wouldn't stand behind it once it went out of warranty.

Old 12-19-2010   #35
Arlen
photographe d'exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The KX was my first real camera and it was built like a tank. Bought an LX in 1981 and it was, unfortunately, a piece of junk with nothing but electrical problems. Pentax "fixed" it three times under warranty, but wouldn't stand behind it once it went out of warranty.
Which is why I love me MX so much. 100% mechanical with the exception of the light meter. Very reliable.

Old 12-19-2010   #36
charjohncarter

I like all mechanical cameras, maybe a light meter added. It seems to me that any electronic camera will fail and it will be impossible (or impractical) to fix.

Old 12-19-2010   #37
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I never really wanted a Pentax of any description until I saw the 67ii ... that was a must have for some reason.

The 35mm SLRs have never appealed to me, though I do have an old SP500 in the cupboard that I've owned since the mid seventies ... it was given to me at the time.

Old 12-20-2010   #38
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
the lx is very well made, has superb metering, (off the film plane), its quite heavy, but if you are used to lugging the F2 arround then the Lx will not be a problem
And the viewfinder is big and bright. I can more easily focus the LX in low light than I can the M4. The LX with the K50/1.2 is a heavy but wonderful outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbido View Post
What's a reasonable price? They can be had from $25-$50 on ebay depending on your timing. In good condition.
It varies with the market. While they are available in the US for these prices, US sellers often want $25 to $40 to post to Australia, so it adds up. I'm still hoping to find a good one locally.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 12-20-2010   #39
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
I'm curious about people's opinions of the S1a/H1a? I'm considerind it as my first Pentax but I have never handled one?

Very much appreciated!!
The microprism focusing aid is different from (and in my experience, nothing like as good as) the SV. Go for an SV if you possibly can.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-20-2010   #40
Wahoo
Washing on Siegfried Line

I still have some Pentax cameras but all older 42mm screw fit.

I always thought the lens were of very high quality and here's
and early eighties photo taken with an SPF - f1.8 85mm smc - TechPan.

Tuned epson 3170 (I think !)