Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras

Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras Made in Japan by Cosina in partnership with Voigtlander, the many modern Voigtlander Leica Screw Mount and Leica M mount bodies offer inexpensive and often unique options into entering the world of Leica rangefinder photography.

Old 10-03-2010   #561
N.delaRua

A full frame CV body with no LCD to keep cost and size down. Basically a mechanical RF with all the settings accessible through switches or through your computer with presets.

Mechanical film advance with a 12 mp full frame sensor.

Old 10-03-2010   #562
jamais

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Besides the Digital Bessa, what NEW Voigtlander rangefinder or SLR lens would you like to see?
- A 127 TLR with 2.8/60 lens and AE, price < EUR 600.
- A 127 RF with 3.5/30 lens, spot metering, mechanical shutter, price < EUR 800.

Old 10-06-2010   #563
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Faster than f/4.5 superwide lens.
Like a 15mm f/3.5 would be nice. An f/2.8 variant would be amazing.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-07-2010   #564
veraikon
xpanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krosya View Post
Would be nice to see a Bessa XPAN panoramic camera.
+1
if possible full mechanical

Old 10-07-2010   #565
Matus

I really like the idea of panoramic Bessa. Xpan compares price-wise to 617 cameras.

But I would be perfectly fine with a folding 6x12 camera too - for the beginning with 65 mm lens (version with 115 mm would follow later ). Let's call it "Bessa the Fourth"
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 10-08-2010   #566
Nando

I've always been fascinated by the Zeiss Contarex range of lenses. Supposedly they're amongst the best lenses ever made. The Contarex bodies, however, are very unattractive to me - too big, too quirky and too expensive. I don't think that there are any adapters available for using the Contarex lenses on another body without loosing infinity focus. How about a Bessaflex for the Contarex lenses?

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Old 10-08-2010   #567
tomalophicon

Yep, TLR or panoramic. I'd buy both.

Old 11-04-2010   #568
Alberti

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.delaRua View Post
A full frame CV body with no LCD to keep cost and size down. Basically a mechanical RF with all the settings accessible through switches or through your computer with presets.

Mechanical film advance with a 12 mp full frame sensor.
Bulls eye.
12 MP full frame also has larger pixel size than 37 MP so we can go down beyond F11 and avoid mechanical unsharpness (I don't know the name for it now but it seems the diaphragm gives a dispersion effect, blurring the plane of focus). Then with 1200 Asa we get real TRI-X effects if we want.
12 MP - sharpness is better than pixel count, maybe.
albert

Old 11-07-2010   #569
mawz

Off the wall, but how about a 55mm f2 Nokton in Mamiya M645 mount. I'd kill for a fast wide MF lens and it's never been done in a common system. A fast portrait lens (110-120 at f2) would be awesome as well.

There's a pretty large community of M645 shooters out there and it would also be usable on the modern 645AF and PhaseOne bodies as well.

Old 11-07-2010   #570
Yhbv24

I have a weird idea that I think *could* work for CV. The M9, besides being overpriced, has problems with wide-angle lenses due to the lens being too close to the sensor, as it's a Bayer array sensor.

If CV were to license Foveon technology for a full-frame 12-16 MP sensor, put it into a digital Bessa (RD-2?) camera, I'm curious if the more film-like (three layer) technology will better suit rangefinder lenses, especially wide-angle ones. I don't know too much about the actual technology, but I think that would be pretty neat. Sigma's newest camera has an *actual* 15MP sensor (as in 15MP for each layer)... or I think it does =].

Seeing as "film-style" digital cameras are niche, rangefinders more so, I don't think many people would be too upset by a lack of an LCD screen, raw-only capture in colour (or perhaps B/W button on the back?), etc. to save on costs. Obviously, it wouldn't need the fastest processor, advanced metering, wouldn't have AF, etc. Could also have a mechanical film advance.

Sell it for maybe $2,500 and watch Leica cringe.

Seeing as that is very, very far-fetched, some things I'd actually like to see.

A 21mm f/2.8 or f/2.0 lens, maybe $850 (more for the f/2.0)
A 50mm f/2.0 lens, M-mount, maybe $350-450. Would be compact, similar to the 40mm Nokton size. I'd like to see this the most.
A 90mm f/2.8 M-mount lens, maybe $800.

As for bodies, the Bessa series really has everything covered in terms of film. Perhaps add 28mm lines for the R2 series, and 35mm lines to the R3 series? Maybe a 1/4000s shutter speed option, and a 2s/4s/8s option as well.

Also, change the damn typeface on the camera. The Voigtländer logo is fine, but needs to be engraved and made a bit smaller. The model type needs to be engraved and the font needs to change. Either make it a classic-style font or a modern one, but not the plain font it is now. Also engrave the frame line selector numbers.

If CV goes digital, I think they have to go FF. There seem to be two directions with digital cameras today, the consumer-oriented crowd, more and more heading to mirrorless-style interchangeable-lens compact cameras, and the prosumer crowd, more and more heading to FF SLR bodies with higher-end lenses.

People buy the M8 because they can't afford an M9, and the M9 is overpriced. CV can really capitalise on this by releasing a sub-$3,000 camera. Especially if they catered to the various shooting styles, similar to the three current Bessa lines. The hardware is the same, the only difference is the rangefinder.

Last edited by Yhbv24 : 11-07-2010 at 22:34. Reason: Added stuff, typos

Old 11-07-2010   #571
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

another 35mm f1.4 with better/softer oof areas and more flare control...a real competitor to summilux...
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Voightlander Color Skopar PII 35mm f2.5
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Contax RX + Zeiss 50mm f1.4
Olympus OM-4 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f2
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/aykutkaraca
http://flickriver.com/photos/2851236...r-interesting/
http://sites.google.com/site/aykutphoto/Home
http://aykutkaraca.webs.com

Old 11-07-2010   #572
thrice

A compact (pocketable when folded) reasonable height (4.5'+) folding tripod capable of holding a Leica M steady for night-time long-exposure city shooting.

A very small flash with a movable head for bounce, which is capable of a "fill" setting on semi-auto (where you specify aperture & ISO). Doesn't need to have GNC/TTL.

Old 11-07-2010   #573
Vanguard

Could Cosina do something like the 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar?

Old 11-09-2010   #574
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Electric motor drive for my R2S.

Old 11-14-2010   #575
mawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhbv24 View Post
I have a weird idea that I think *could* work for CV. The M9, besides being overpriced, has problems with wide-angle lenses due to the lens being too close to the sensor, as it's a Bayer array sensor.

If CV were to license Foveon technology for a full-frame 12-16 MP sensor, put it into a digital Bessa (RD-2?) camera, I'm curious if the more film-like (three layer) technology will better suit rangefinder lenses, especially wide-angle ones. I don't know too much about the actual technology, but I think that would be pretty neat. Sigma's newest camera has an *actual* 15MP sensor (as in 15MP for each layer)... or I think it does =].
Foveon sensors are in fact more sensitive to angle of incidence issues than bayer sensors are due to the use of deep stacked sensor wells.

The issue that is encountered with the M9 is due to the topology of CCD and CMOS sensors in general (ie sensor wells being sensitive to angle of incidence issues and microlenses being an imperfect fix), not Bayer sensors in specific. The symptoms (colour shifts) are due to the Bayer design (when light passes through the microlens some makes it to adjacent wells, causing colour shifts), a Foveon sensor would merely end up suffering from extreme vignetting and blue-shift instead of the generally greenish shift bayer sensors get.

Old 11-27-2010   #576
ZlatkoBatistich

Quote:
Originally Posted by horosu View Post
The Nokton 50/1.5 in M-mount and MUCH better built body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
Maybe a 50 1.5 redone in M mount ...)
Yes! 50/1.5 in M mount, at least as good as the discontinued LTM version.

Old 12-09-2010   #577
myM8yogi

I would second the 35/1.4 re-designed to have softer OOF highlights and a little better flare control. The 35/1.2 was a masterpiece, but too heavy as a "walk around lens". The 35/1.4 is supremely small and light for the speed, but falls short in terms of ultimate optical quality IMHO. The 35/2.5 looks to give great results and is very small, but is perhaps a little too slow for meaningful control of depth of field on a moderate wide angle lens.
So there we have it, CV offer us three 35mm lenses that each have two of the following three properties, but none with all three:
- small
- fast
- nice out of focus rendering

Perhaps the compromise many of us are waiting for is a smaller redesigned CV 35/1.7???
If they get it right, they won't need to manufacture any other 35mm for a while!

I still want the 135mm too... this would be such an easy lens to design and they would sell quite a few I think.

Old 12-09-2010   #578
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Here's an idea: a telephoto-design 50mm f/2. That should make it a flat/pancake type RF normal lens, the only of its kind.

My Flickr

Old 12-09-2010   #579
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Also, it been said before, but 18-21-25 tri-skopar would be nice.

My Flickr

Old 12-26-2010   #580
Roberto V.
Le surrèalisme, c'est moi

I agree with a small 50mm f/2 or f/1.4. I'd also love to see a new Kontur finder.

flickr
My RFF gallery

Old 12-27-2010   #581
Nomad Z

I've been looking at the various CV 35mm lenses for a while, and have not been able to make my mind up. The Ultron was tempting, but was a bit long and is now getting hard to find. I keep getting put off by the barrel distortion and (reports of) focus shift of the f1.4. The f1.2 Nokton is way too big. The f2.5 Color Skopar Classic is close, but also getting hard to find.

What I want, but can't afford, is a 35mm Summicron ASPH - compact, focus tab, sensible max aperture, very good resolution and distortion. I can't help feeling that the Nokton 1.4 was a step too far with its extra stop. If Cosina was to take that basic idea, change it to f2, and sort out the issues that are reported so often, I think they'd be onto a winner.

Chrome plated brass for me, please.

Old 01-27-2011   #582
myM8yogi

Agree Nomad, though f/1.8 would be preferable if it can be done - if not, you are right that f/2 would be fine.

Old 01-27-2011   #583
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Re-issue the Nikon F-S adapter.

Old 02-06-2011   #584
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Could Cosina do something like the 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar?
What about just two positions? Perhaps simpler/cheaper design and better IQ... Maybe it's possible to make a small 35-50 or 28-50 f/2.5 or around... I'd buy two for my two daily sun and shadows/overcast bodies...

Cheers,

Juan

Old 02-07-2011   #585
Royale With Cheese
Professional Bummer

I just want CV lenses to be back in CHROME!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2011   #586
deirdre

I'd like a reasonably fast lens in an intermediate length between 50mm and 75mm. Call it 60mm.

Old 02-12-2011   #587
david.elliott

really wish they would start making the 125mm macro lens again

Old 02-13-2011   #588
c.poulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
I just want CV lenses to be back in CHROME!!!!!!!!!!
+1

Since getting my M2 last year I really have a 'thing' for chrome lenses......

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 02-13-2011   #589
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

Is this thread still up?

Ok then. Since my Nikon D70 and its cropped sensor I have been yearning for small, fast primes geared towards 1.5 crop sensors.

Currenty I own a Nikon D200 with 20, 28, 35, 40, 85, 135 and 180 primes in several flavours, all full frame. I also have a Leica M2 with 25, 35, 50 and 90mm lenses.

ALL of these lenses work on my Sony NEX-3 (with adapters).

But still, I don't have a decent fast wide angle. An 18mm lens would be nice here.

My fast 28 Sigma isn't all that good, and rather bulky. A good 28 (becomes a 42 on the D200 and NEX-3) would be great.

There is nothing in my arsenal that would be a 90mm equivalent on the D200 and NEX. Of course they would mean a 60mm.

With an 18, 28 and 60 combo I would be able to cover 95% of all my photography. And if these lenses would exist in F-mount, they would work on the NEX as well.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 02-13-2011   #590
f16sunshine

Nokton f1.2/35mm in the Canikon Reflex mount would be nice.
I would buy one

Old 02-13-2011   #591
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_H View Post
There is nothing in my arsenal that would be a 90mm equivalent on the D200 and NEX. Of course they would mean a 60mm. [...] And if these lenses would exist in F-mount, they would work on the NEX as well.
Cosina/Voigtländer makes a 58/f1.4 SL II in Nikon F mount that comes pretty close to what you want. It's also chipped so that it works on other Nikons as well. $409 at Cameraquest.

Old 02-14-2011   #592
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
Cosina/Voigtländer makes a 58/f1.4 SL II in Nikon F mount that comes pretty close to what you want. It's also chipped so that it works on other Nikons as well. $409 at Cameraquest.

I completely forgot about that one. It surely is tempting... My CV 40mm f2 is outstanding so this 58mm would be... nice.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 02-14-2011   #593
jsrockit

I want a CV version of the perar super triplet...

Old 02-14-2011   #594
richardhkirkando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_H View Post
Ok then. Since my Nikon D70 and its cropped sensor I have been yearning for small, fast primes geared towards 1.5 crop sensors.
I think a lot of people would love to see this. It's the main reason I've been slow to accept crop sensor digital formats.

Right now, I have enough overlap at the normal-tele ranges that I can use my existing lenses, but I'd definitely buy a 12 or 14mm for Sony NEX. I may consider a fast 24mm too. A coldshoe adapter for the NEX's flash socket thingy (so I can mount a viewfinder) would also be great.

Old 02-23-2011   #595
MISH

how about remaking the 28 3.5 color-skopar in a M mount (or even just bring back the LTM version) used copies of the discontinued lens are selling for more than they were when new so obviously the demand is there.... I am not the only one that wants one

Old 02-23-2011   #596
Livesteamer

I'm another who would like a CV 28mm f3.5 in LTM again. I love to use my IIIc on vacations and this would be the perfect lens. Joe

Old 03-08-2011   #597
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.poulton View Post
+1

Since getting my M2 last year I really have a 'thing' for chrome lenses......
+1

I am hoping that the new CV35/1.2 has a limited edition in chrome so I can buy one.

I'll be waiting, and I'm holding off buying another 35.

Cal

Old 03-08-2011   #598
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livesteamer View Post
I'm another who would like a CV 28mm f3.5 in LTM again. I love to use my IIIc on vacations and this would be the perfect lens. Joe
Why not buy used then? I don't think they'd be less than $400 new these days if CV remade them.

Old 03-14-2011   #599
rover

I don't think we can be too redundant in mentioning that the only current production RF 50mm lens produced with the Voigtlander name is the super Cyclops 1.1 Nokton. A standard 1.4 or 2.0ish 50mm seems like a no brainer, and much needed.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 03-22-2011   #600
myM8yogi

Agreed. A small 50mm f/1.4 or 1.5 ASPH. Close focus 0.7m. Decent bokeh at the expense of wide-open sharpness if necessary. No focus shift.