Delta 400 price vs Tmax 400
Old 09-24-2019   #1
Ccoppola82

Delta 400 price vs Tmax 400

I am about using up my stashes of hp5+ and Tri x and was considering trying a t-grain film for fun and thinking the straighter curve might be beneficial in the VERY grey gloomy skies we get for the winter here. Iím a bit partial to Ilford products, so Delta 400 was my first choice. When I looked at B&H I noticed that the Delta 400 is almost $2 per roll more expensive! Is it that much better than T-max 400??

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 09-24-2019   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

It's a bit cheaper over here, but I shoot both a lot, with a mild preference for the Tmax400. I think Delta has a bit more grain, which I do like, so horses for courses. OTOH Tmax can be pushed to 800 without extra developing so gives a stop of flexibility when shooting. I doubt I would shoot Delta at all if it was that much more expensive than Tmax.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 09-24-2019   #3
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoppola82 View Post
I am about using up my stashes of hp5+ and Tri x and was considering trying a t-grain film for fun and thinking the straighter curve might be beneficial in the VERY grey gloomy skies we get for the winter here. I’m a bit partial to Ilford products, so Delta 400 was my first choice. When I looked at B&H I noticed that the Delta 400 is almost $2 per roll more expensive! Is it that much better than T-max 400??
That's a crazy price difference. I strongly prefer Ilford films but would not hesitate to use TMAX 400 in 35mm size (no kodak paper issues).

Hard to see how Ilford competes with a nearly 40% higher price!

Old 09-24-2019   #4
nickthetasmaniac

Yep in Aus Delta is consistently a couple of dollars more than Tmax. I’ve never really understood why...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-24-2019   #5
Erik van Straten

The 400Tmax (400-2TMY) is simply the best B+W film available today. I will never pay one cent more for Delta.

Erik.

Old 09-24-2019   #6
Dan Daniel

Very strange. And yet in 120 Ilford and Kodak are the same price more or less.

Old 09-24-2019   #7
css9450

Quote:
When I looked at B&H I noticed that the Delta 400 is almost $2 per roll more expensive! Is it that much better than T-max 400??

Prices seem to vary widely. B&H charges the same for T-Max vs. Tri-X, whereas my local shop charges a $3 premium for T-Max with Delta 400 splitting the difference between the two. This is in 35mm size.

Old 09-24-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I don't understand.
OP is looking at BH and two dollars makes difference.
Then why not use film in bulks? Or is it about 120 film?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...Ntt=bw%20film&

Delta in bulks price is less outrageous.
Ten rolls won't makes difference on two dollars difference. If you like Delta.

I don't like Delta at all, lifeless emulsion. TMAX smells like digital too

Old 09-24-2019   #9
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
TMAX smells like digital too

Maybe it smells digital -I never smell film- but it doesn't look digital at all. Photography is about looking, isn't it?

Erik.

Old 09-24-2019   #10
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

TMAX always looks flat to me in the middle tones. And when I try to boost the contrast with longer development, I get blocked highlights. I don't seem to have these problems with the Delta films, so I stopped buying TMAX a long time ago. I suppose they could have modified its response curve by now, but I haven't gone back to try it again.

Old 09-24-2019   #11
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
TMAX always looks flat to me in the middle tones. And when I try to boost the contrast with longer development, I get blocked highlights. I don't seem to have these problems with the Delta films, so I stopped buying TMAX a long time ago. I suppose they could have modified its response curve by now, but I haven't gone back to try it again.

It makes a difference if you only scan the negatives or if you make wet prints (silver/gelatine) directly from them.

The 400-2TMY is perfectly allright for split grade printing, anyway the best thing to do with B+W negatives. Also my older Tmax400 negatives are perfectly allright for split grade printing.

Delta films are grainy and not very sharp.

Of course the developing procedure for the films is very important.

Erik.

Old 09-24-2019   #12
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Very strange. And yet in 120 Ilford and Kodak are the same price more or less.
& in 4x5 & 5x7 Ilford is at least 1/2 the price of TMY2

Old 09-24-2019   #13
jawarden

Quote:
Is it that much better than T-max 400??
It is no better. Try the TMax and see if it works for you. They're both great films and with patience and a little homework you can work with either, so you might as well get the less expensive product.

Old 09-24-2019   #14
robert blu
quiet photographer

Strange things about pricing! Where I live prices are for 35mm 36 exposure : delta 400 = 6.90 EUR; T max 400 = 6,81 EUR , not a big difference!

For my hybrid workflow they are both good, I love them both.

If as I hope in a few weeks I'll have a darkroom available it can be different.

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-24-2019   #15
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
It makes a difference if you only scan the negatives or if you make wet prints (silver/gelatine) directly from them.

The 400-2TMY is perfectly allright for split grade printing, anyway the best thing to do with B+W negatives. Also my older Tmax400 negatives are perfectly allright for split grade printing.

Erik.
I prefer Tri-X or HP5+ to either Delta 400 or Tmax 400 (partly because it is what I am used to, perhaps) so I rarely use either of the latter. But I've found Delta 100, which I have shot more of to be respectably sharp, and fine grained. As you say, development regime is indeed important. For me, that almost invariably means ID-11 1 + 3 @ 20C for 21 minutes or so. 1 + 3 is Ilford's own instruction for maximum sharpness.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 09-24-2019   #16
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
I prefer Tri-X or HP5+ to either Delta 400 or Tmax 400 (partly because it is what I am used to, perhaps) so I rarely use either of the latter.
Maybe 20 years ago or so the TriX has been changed from two layers - a sharp contrasty one and a soft one - into a single layer. Since then I didn't like it anymore. The effect became too graphical, it was not painterly anymore. I like painterly B+W films.

The older TriX from the seventies was wonderful. I still have all my negatives that I've made since 1970. Around 1985 TriX changed and was less sharp, but the tonality was still superb. At the end of the nineties it changed again. I wrote that above. Since then I use the Tmax400. It has a very fine grain and a better tonality than the single layer TriX.

In the seventies the TriX in Europe was made in France. I am sure that the changes after that were caused by the change of the location were the film was made, England or the US.

The choice for film by the users is of course highly subjective.

Erik.

TriX from 1973:

400-2TMY from 2018:

Old 09-24-2019   #17
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:

Erik.
Funny, Shots I've done with Delta 100 have been fine grain and sharp enough to rival my Hasselblad pictures. Maybe it's my developing procedure.

Old 09-24-2019   #18
kiemchacsu

it's REALLY funny for te price of tmy-2 100ft roll;
if one can make 19 roll 36 exp from that (which I do), it cost more than you buy a rolled manufacture. ($6.83 vs $5.79)
may be it's the way they encourage you to buy pre-rolled film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I don't understand.
OP is looking at BH and two dollars makes difference.
Then why not use film in bulks? Or is it about 120 film?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...Ntt=bw%20film&

Delta in bulks price is less outrageous.
Ten rolls won't makes difference on two dollars difference. If you like Delta.

I don't like Delta at all, lifeless emulsion. TMAX smells like digital too

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 09-24-2019   #19
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Funny, Shots I've done with Delta 100 have been fine grain and sharp enough to rival my Hasselblad pictures. Maybe it's my developing procedure.

Very good possible, in fact I was talking about the Delta 400, an error ... I'm sorry.

Erik.

Old 09-25-2019   #20
Mooshoepork

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Yep in Aus Delta is consistently a couple of dollars more than Tmax. Iíve never really understood why...
Probably because Kodak sells tmax to dealers cheaper than CR Kennedy sells Delta.

Not that hard to figure out

Old 09-25-2019   #21
retinax

I think it's all been said, delta 400 doesn't have the resolution of tmy-2, and if you don't have any specific reasons, might as well to for what's cheaper.
If like to hear your thoughts about why you want a straight curve for gloomy winter skies. Are you prepared to do a lot of burning the skies in? Because IMHO that's the main thing with straight lines, they give you lots of material for dodging and burning, but you have to dodge and burn more than with an s-curve or you get the flat looking mid tones that some complain about with the designer grain films. Because the very highlights and deep shadows simply end up further away from the mid tones on the curve, and to get them all on paper without much d&b will require a softer grade, compared to a film with an s-curve.
I think (no densitomer, just theory and casual observation) I can bend the curve down in the highlights with dilute developer and reduced agitation though, so these films are very flexible.

Old 09-25-2019   #22
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Are you prepared to do a lot of burning the skies in? Because IMHO that's the main thing with straight lines, they give you lots of material for dodging and burning, but you have to dodge and burn more than with an s-curve or you get the flat looking mid tones that some complain about with the designer grain films.

Split grade printing. No burning or dodging necessary. Invented in the fifties by Pictorial Service in Paris.

There should be a possibility in Photoshop to create split grade printing digitally. Maybe it exists, I don't know. I do it with the Ilford filters 00 and 5 on Adox MCC 110 paper.

To get a digital file I simply scan the print.

Erik.

Old 09-25-2019   #23
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshoepork View Post
Probably because Kodak sells tmax to dealers cheaper than CR Kennedy sells Delta.

Not that hard to figure out
Thank you for the insight.

Old 09-25-2019   #24
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Whoa - I didn't know that a roll of 135-36 black and white film is currently almost $13.00 USD in Australia. You all have my condolences.

My advise, try a couple rolls of TMY-2. Then see if you like it.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtlšnder Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 09-25-2019   #25
retinax

Quote:
Split grade printing. No burning or dodging necessary. Invented in the fifties by Pictorial Service in Paris.

There should be a possibility in Photoshop to create split grade printing digitally. Maybe it exists, I don't know. I do it with the Ilford filters 00 and 5 on Adox MCC 110 paper.

To get a digital file I simply scan the print.

Erik.

Yes I think when split-grade printing, the soft exposure makes sure that no highlights get blown. Pre-flashing the paper is another useful tool in the box here. Both comes at the expense of soft contrast in the highlights, how else, the excess contrast needs to go somewhere. A film/dev regime with stronger highlight roll-off has that built in, but burning in from these negs will only allow you to bring the soft contrast from the shoulder down to printable range. If one wants more contrast in the highlights and/or the burnt in areas, dodging and burning from a straight line negative it is.

Old 09-25-2019   #26
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
Whoa - I didn't know that a roll of 135-36 black and white film is currently almost $13.00 USD in Australia. You all have my condolences.
It isn't?

Currently in Aus Delta400 is $7.45usd and Tmax400 $6.45usd (depending where you shop)...

Old 09-25-2019   #27
Tim Gray

Not really used a lot of Delta. Have use a bit of Tri-X. While it does have its place, I think TMY-2 is probably the best B&W film ever.

Old 09-25-2019   #28
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Yes I think when split-grade printing, the soft exposure makes sure that no highlights get blown. Pre-flashing the paper is another useful tool in the box here. Both comes at the expense of soft contrast in the highlights, how else, the excess contrast needs to go somewhere. A film/dev regime with stronger highlight roll-off has that built in, but burning in from these negs will only allow you to bring the soft contrast from the shoulder down to printable range. If one wants more contrast in the highlights and/or the burnt in areas, dodging and burning from a straight line negative it is.

There are so many possibilities with split grade printing, you can burn in the high lights with the hard filter if you like. There is no end to it. Fascinating, really.

Erik.

Old 09-25-2019   #29
Ccoppola82

I actually started using split grade printing after I got a Bessemer universal 45 w VC controller for dirt cheap. Lambrechts book also has good sections on contrast control. The VC controller makes it very simple and easy to fine tune because I can dial in ANY grade in .1 increments if I want to.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 09-25-2019   #30
Erik van Straten

Quote:
I actually started using split grade printing after I got a Bessemer universal 45 w VC controller for dirt cheap. Lambrechts book also has good sections on contrast control. The VC controller makes it very simple and easy to fine tune because I can dial in ANY grade in .1 increments if I want to.

Yes, but you only need two filters: 00 and 5. There are two exposures, usually a long one with the 00 to control the highlights and a short one with the 5 to determine the deep blacks. This way of printing needs a lot of test exposures, but is very rewarding because you can get a professional quality print of practically every negative, old or new and good or bad.

Erik.

Old 09-25-2019   #31
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
I recently traveled to Australia and ran out of film. Prices were so astronomical I couldn't afford to buy Tri-X there. I ended up getting some rolls of 24 Kodak Gold just to have something to shoot with but I think even that was about double what 36 Portra 400 would cost me here.

Old 09-25-2019   #32
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
I recently traveled to Australia and ran out of film. Prices were so astronomical I couldn't afford to buy Tri-X there. I ended up getting some rolls of 24 Kodak Gold just to have something to shoot with but I think even that was about double what 36 Portra 400 would cost me here.
There's considerable difference in prices in Aus depending where you shop. The best (legitimate) Australian online stores have prices a little higher but comparable to the US. But if you walk into a Camera House on main street you'll easily find yourself paying $20aud for a roll of Portra

Old 09-25-2019   #33
james.liam

@ B&H:

TMax 400: $5.80
Delta 400: $7.50

Old 09-25-2019   #34
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
@ B&H:

TMax 400: $5.80