Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

RIP Fred Herzog
Old 09-11-2019   #1
robert blu
quiet photographer

RIP Fred Herzog

Fred Herzog died at 88, another sad news.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2QgtQrlgHQ/

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-11-2019   #2
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Love his work...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 09-11-2019   #3
Out to Lunch

Some of his work here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os5ZVuLr5Ag

Old 09-11-2019   #4
jsrockit

I can't be sad... he lived a long life and his work was recognized. Good job FH.

Old 09-11-2019   #5
Dogman

September is a cruel month.

Another great one gone. R.I.P., Mr. Herzog.

Old 09-11-2019   #6
Richard G

Another great photographer dies. 'Modern Colour' is a fantastic and full revelation of his work.

Here's what I wrote for our photographic group:

More to my taste overall, and a very impressive German production, is Fred Herzog, Modern Colour. Although it is advertised as a paperback, it is in fact a hardback. The printing is first class. Herzog shot with Kodachrome for his street photographs, – something more than ‘street’ and way beyond documentary. They are gently observed scenes and details of Vancouver, his adopted home, and elsewhere. The colour is not merely incidental. They are mostly full of light and space, carefully framed but some are a jumble of street colours. The more intense observations include a solitary anonymous arm reaching across the window between the gap in the curtains and the interiors of shops through their windows, cars stranded in back lanes or incongruously perfect in a rundown neighborhood driveway.

The accompanying essays are interesting. He liked to shoot from the hip to avoid the camera up to his eye and altering the behaviour of his subjects. How he kept the camera level for those shots on slide film is beyond me. One reason he used Kodachrome was his busy day job. He shoots a roll of film, puts it in its yellow envelope, into the post box, and a week later he has a box of 36 slides. No darkroom, chemicals and trays and dust and sleepless nights. Of course that consigned them to relative obscurity until they could be properly scanned in the modern era and made more accessible.

Old 09-11-2019   #7
leicapixie

Herzog pictures were good, but sadly in a few interviews,
another darker side was revealed and paraded , only the jackboots left out..
He was a teacher and one worries what he taught..
Many of you will be angered with me, so be it!
Interview "Globe and Mail" Toronto Canada...

Old 09-11-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

He is great example to new Canadian.
Came for better life, abolished his old world wrong assumptions by integrating to society.
Worked hard; including physically. Enjoyed his life after work while not been corporate slave. Been consistent on his hobby. Not been snobby after recognition.
And used low cost cameras!

Old 09-11-2019   #9
DanskDynamit

one of my favourites
Rest in Peace.

Old 09-11-2019   #10
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Herzog pictures were good, but sadly in a few interviews,
another darker side was revealed and paraded , only the jackboots left out..
He was a teacher and one worries what he taught..
Many of you will be angered with me, so be it!
Interview "Globe and Mail" Toronto Canada...
Not angered but surprised...when you make vague references to wrong doing, you should, at least provide a link to the interview in question.

Old 09-11-2019   #11
xavyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
Not angered but surprised...when you make vague references to wrong doing, you should, at least provide a link to the interview in question.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...rticle4104746/

Yeah, surprised.

Old 09-11-2019   #12
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Another photographer I wasn’t really familiar with. Thanks for the video link, lovely. Made my day a little bit sweeter just for having experienced the photos.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 09-11-2019   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Herzog was Holocaust denier for sometime.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theg...rticle4104746/

But at his older age he was able to understand it.

As for LP remarks, Holocaust denierizm is not uncommon in Canada.
Anti Jewish crime is on the rise in Canada /“surprise, surprise”/.
Where are professors in Canada who goes on Holocaust denier conferences.
And here is anti Israel call from so called union leaders.

Lets leave Herzog out of this. He did not possessed swastika and nazies standards like some do in rural Ontario at their mansions.

Old 09-11-2019   #14
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavyr View Post
The Globe piece is discussed in this much fuller article in Canadian Art:
https://bit.ly/2lOLS10

As an aside, I work with people for whom English is a second language, and coincidentally a few weeks after the Globe article was talking to a client who used “so-called” to mean “commonly known as.” The sad thing is that the Globe piece caused him to lose the Scotiabank Contact photography prize that year, and he was never nominated again.

Even living in Canada, I did not know of Fred Herzog until about 10 years ago. Canadian photo magazines seemed to be fixated on nature photography, and that such a great street photographer and pioneer in colour street photography was among us, was not widely known.

Old 09-11-2019   #15
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

i've met and conversed with Fred a couple of times, he was friends with Tom. I understand he was removed from the cultural process that germany went through in the second half of the 20th century, and he should have informed himself better. nevertheless, he struck me as a kind and thoughtful person who didn't wish any harm upon his fellow human beings.

we are lucky to have shared time on this planet with photographers like him, robert frank, and so many others.

here's pictures:

Old 09-11-2019   #16
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-11-2019   #17
KM-25

I have a lot of photographs I still want to make. I hope I live as long as some of these photo-luminaries we have lost in the past few days.

Life behind the camera is life well lived.

Old 09-11-2019   #18
charjohncarter

I used to go to B.C. in the 50s and 60s. His scenes from there were great and colorful.

Old 09-11-2019   #19
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

Thank you for sharing this. I didn't know much at all about Fred Herzog, and had only seen a few of his photographs. This thread has revealed much more to me about the man and his work. His story is tragic and difficult and complicated, as is history, and for all this story reveals, the education is deeply worthwhile. His photographs are a beautiful look at the time and place he lived, and a wonderful example of fine street photography. There's much to learn here, from the work and the man, and for that I am grateful.

Old 09-11-2019   #20
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Fred Herzog died at 88, another sad news.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2QgtQrlgHQ/
Robert, please post this to Camera Work.

Apparently, their have been changes made here and I have great difficulty posting.

Thanks, pkr.

Old 09-11-2019   #21
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post

As an aside, I work with people for whom English is a second language, and coincidentally a few weeks after the Globe article was talking to a client who used “so-called” to mean “commonly known as.” The sad thing is that the Globe piece caused him to lose the Scotiabank Contact photography prize that year, and he was never nominated again.

Even living in Canada, I did not know of Fred Herzog until about 10 years ago. Canadian photo magazines seemed to be fixated on nature photography, and that such a great street photographer and pioneer in colour street photography was among us, was not widely known.
He wasn’t known to the general public until 2007.
His slides were digitized and printed. Then it went on display in VAG.
I was in Vancouver at this time, doing upgrade at CTV and stayed in hotel nearby. Went without knowing what was on and saw Herzog photography.
One of the most impressive photography exhibitions I ever seen.
One of the turning points for me to street photography.

Same for Zimbel, I only know of him because I was in Montreal, doing upgrade at RDS and checked what was in Museum of fine Art.
And at another project in Montreal they have another street photographer who was taking great street pictures, documenting changes and old neighbourhoods. World class photography, but not known outside of Montreal.

Old 09-11-2019   #22
ka7197

My tribute to Fred Herzog (taken one year ago):

Old 09-11-2019   #23
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Herzog was Holocaust denier for sometime.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theg...rticle4104746/

But at his older age he was able to understand it.

As for LP remarks, Holocaust denierizm is not uncommon in Canada.
Anti Jewish crime is on the rise in Canada /“surprise, surprise”/.
Where are professors in Canada who goes on Holocaust denier conferences.
And here is anti Israel call from so called union leaders.

Lets leave Herzog out of this. He did not possessed swastika and nazies standards like some do in rural Ontario at their mansions.
Im not even sure Herzog could be so easily classified as a 'Holocaust denier'

Like my dad, Herzog was a child during a time of great upheaval and unspeakable violence in Germany. Not only did he endure the war and the never ending cycle of domestic propaganda that went on at the time, he was subject to neglect and abuse from caregivers while still very young.

As you mentioned earlier, he then left the ruins of Europe and came to Canada. He quietly went about fitting in and making a life for himself. As a son of Germans and Jews, I have come to known the profound impacts that war had on many who grew up in the middle of it. To continue moving forward with no treatment or counselling for what must have been deep psychological trauma for Herzog, coupled with what I am certain was a deep sense of shame, is astounding to say the least.

At no point do I wish to absolve the man of anything nor make excuses. I only wish to point out that I don't believe this to be a simple case of villain or not villain. Having witnessed a few conflicts up close myself, including a very bloody civil war, I have become familiar with the psychological impacts that result. It cost me a decade of my life with hospital treatment, counsellors and ongoing psychotherapy to this day. Herzog had none of this and was left to reconcile on his own.

Ultimately the man left it all behind, came here and created a body of work that moves many of us who grew up in Vancouver way back when. As a jew, a son of Germans who somehow survived the war and a man intimately familiar with conflict, I would focus on that and try to consider not all is so simple.

Old 09-11-2019   #24
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
i've met and conversed with Fred a couple of times, he was friends with Tom. I understand he was removed from the cultural process that germany went through in the second half of the 20th century, and he should have informed himself better. nevertheless, he struck me as a kind and thoughtful person who didn't wish any harm upon his fellow human beings.

we are lucky to have shared time on this planet with photographers like him, robert frank, and so many others.

here's pictures:

well said Simon

Old 09-11-2019   #25
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
He is great example to new Canadian.
Came for better life, abolished his old world wrong assumptions by integrating to society.
Worked hard; including physically. Enjoyed his life after work while not been corporate slave. Been consistent on his hobby. Not been snobby after recognition.
And used low cost cameras!
I'm going to load a roll of color film in my (cheap and cheerful) Canon WP-1 this weekend to honor a fellow Canadian. The camera even shares the colors of the Canadian flag.

http://shooterfiles.com/2016/12/mast...s-fred-herzog/

flickr