Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Where to find a roughly used m6
Old 09-02-2019   #1
vandal138

Where to find a roughly used m6

I'm looking to dive deeper into film photography now and considering an m6. Currently using a Bessa L, but the lack of rangefinder irks me. I am also relatively cheap.
Where would one find a well used m6 that might not be cosmetically sound. Internally, I imagine Leicas are built like a tank so I'm not fussy about the cosmetics, but most Liecas seem to sell for a high price while they are kept in pristine condition. Where are all the low grade M6's at?

Old 09-02-2019   #2
chipgreenberg

Do you need the light meter? KEH has a nice cosmetic , meter not working M5 for $668

Old 09-02-2019   #3
vandal138

Yeah, a light meter and viewfinder focusing is important to me. I am looking to get a cheaper Bessa R2m or R4m, but for only a bit more money, I hope i can find a rough m6 if anything.
I was also looking at a Leica m4-2 for a good price, but the lack of light meter might bother me.

Old 09-02-2019   #4
benlees

I commend your search for a "rough" M. I did the same and was not disappointed, though I bought an M4P. Mine was cosmetically rough but worked perfectly. And it was not much money- this was a few years a go. I'm constantly amazed how risk averse people are when it comes to "looks".

Be patient and good luck!

Old 09-02-2019   #5
madNbad

Often M6s' and more likely M6 TTLs' with zinc oxidation (surface bubbles) are sold at lower prices because of the condition of the finish. Often the optics and mechanical condition of the camera is good.

Old 09-02-2019   #6
Huss

You're not going to find anything under $1300 now for a rough M6. Prices have sky-rocketed.

Old 09-02-2019   #7
CharlesDAMorgan

I was in Red Dot Cameras in London a few weeks back and having bought my M5 I was shooting the breeze with the owner, Ivan. He said he couldn't get M6s in good condition for love or money and showed me on with extensive zinc acne that he would not have touched even 3 months ago.

So the low grade ones are now in top end dealers selling for top end prices...

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 09-02-2019   #8
vandal138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
You're not going to find anything under $1300 now for a rough M6. Prices have sky-rocketed.
I can't even find one for that price Here in Canada, checking our craigslist and facebook marketplaces. Online stores and ebay etc.
Though, I am going to be in LA next weekend, maybe I can find something there.

Old 09-02-2019   #9
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

Honestly I'd look for an M4 (or M3 or M3) and buy a $100 Digisix meter. I have an M6 and never use the meter in it...I get better results from a small handheld incident/reflected meter anyway.

You'll get the same camera for a better price.

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 09-02-2019   #10
Fraser

Everyone is looking for cosmetically challenged Ms, as already said the prices have shot up, when I bought my M2 from a dealer 8ish years ago I only paid 300 and that seemed quite a lot at the time, the best deal I got was for the rough non working M4p with missing base for 120 another 130 to get it repaired, I sold it to a dealer for 350 and thought I was doing well now even M42s and M4ps in the UK are selling for 800.

Old 09-02-2019   #11
Deardorff38

I'd agree w/ Vandal 138. For example this rough M4... looks good except for the missing vulcanite for $850 (no it's not mine...) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M-4-1...kAAOSwxSldZWtW

Old 09-02-2019   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

If "rough looking" M bodies sell for (say) $800, what do very clean M bodies sell for? My M3 and M6 look extremely clean to me as I used them very carefully over the past years.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-02-2019   #13
Deardorff38

Raid, Here's your 'rough' M3 with a jammed shutter for $400...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-M3-DO...oAAOSwmZFdbH4I

Old 09-02-2019   #14
mpaniagua

I think it will require lots of patience and luck. They come once and again, but problem is, you are not the only one looking for them.

I've sold some of my Leicas on the past (from pristine to rough) for a fair price (some of them here) and sold them within 2 hours. I'm talking prices from $600 to $1200.

So place to look? probably this forum, Keh and ebay.

Like Colin said, looking for a M4-P or M4 would like net you something usable at the price you are willing to pay.

On the other hand, Bessa R2 have a great viewfinder and a light meter. Out bartender service them by the way.

Marcelo

Old 09-02-2019   #15
aizan

You're not going to find anything in LA. =(

What's your budget? Do you need a Leica? Does it have to be an M3-type body? Personally, I'd get a Zeiss Ikon ZM for about $1300-1500, or a NIB Voigtlander Bessa R2a for $1300, an M5 if I had about $1000, or a $900 Konica Hexar RF. If I could live without a meter, I'd jump for a $900 Nikon S3 2000.

Old 09-02-2019   #16
vandal138

Well I was just offered an m4-2 for $1200, thats probably the best value I can find and hope to just deal with and learn to not have a built in light meter. Or spend just $900 on a new Bessa R2m which has all those features, except for a red dot and bombproofness.
(I am drawn to Leicas over Bessa for their build quality, though, I haven't handled a Leica)

Old 09-02-2019   #17
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal138 View Post
I'm looking to dive deeper into film photography now and considering an m6. I am also relatively cheap.
You win the prize for oxymoron of the day....

I saw nice Minolta CLE with 40 and 90mm lenses at Tamarkin for $1,000.

Old 09-02-2019   #18
jsrockit

I wouldn`t mess with Leica if you don`t have the $. Grab something else.

Old 09-02-2019   #19
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I wouldn`t mess with Leica if you don`t have the $. Grab something else.
Rough, but completely agree with you.

Old 09-02-2019   #20
Deardorff38

Looks like Sherry Krauter has a bunch of Leica Ms in your ballpark..... & nothing too rough.... essentially 650-1200 $

http://www.sherrykrauter.com/store

Old 09-02-2019   #21
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Looks like Sherry Krauter has a bunch of Leica Ms in your ballpark..... & nothing too rough.... essentially 650-1200 $

She got quite the beauties. Thanks for sharing.

Marcelo

Old 09-02-2019   #22
Archiver

"Roughly used M6". I'm struggling not to laugh as I think of a grizzled old Frenchman who blows his nose in his hand, wipes it on his crotch, then brings his battered M6 to his eye.

Old 09-02-2019   #23
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Well I was just offered an m4-2 for $1200, thats probably the best value I can find and hope to just deal with and learn to not have a built in light meter. Or spend just $900 on a new Bessa R2m which has all those features, except for a red dot and bombproofness.
(I am drawn to Leicas over Bessa for their build quality, though, I haven't handled a Leica)
You were mugged. Sorry. This camera doesn't cost these money even nowadays. It is under 1K$ USD camera.

Quote:
I can't even find one for that price Here in Canada, checking our craigslist and facebook marketplaces. Online stores and ebay etc.
Though, I am going to be in LA next weekend, maybe I can find something there.
In Canada you need to look for in person sale. WTB might help.
But Canadian eBay deals sometimes are good. Lust watch for those who are "business", they will mug you on sales tax.
Watch it here on RFF as well. Some speculatns with eBay BIN out of blue prices, but honest sellers are also present.

Old 09-02-2019   #24
vandal138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post

Thanks for sharing this!

Old 09-02-2019   #25
benlees

Quote:

You have probably chosen the worst time in recent history to want a film M on a budget. $1200 for an M4-2 is crazy. I bought that M4P in 2011 for $400... i should've held on to it.

Just to add, if you want a Leica a Bessa won't scratch that itch. As they say, poor people pay twice. Get what you really want.

Old 09-02-2019   #26
shimokita
白黒

Quick online shopping search for a used M6 in Tokyo in the range Yen 238,000 to 313,200 (~ USD 1,245 to 2,950). The least expensive used M6 at MapCamera was Yen 198,000 (~ USD 1,870)... again, a very quick search.

Old 09-02-2019   #27
zuiko85

Pardon, but where in Canada are you?

Old 09-02-2019   #28
vandal138

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Pardon, but where in Canada are you?
Toronto, Ontario

Old 09-02-2019   #29
zuiko85

Quote:
Toronto, Ontario
Ah, other side of Canada. I'm in Washington state, South Puget Sound, and travel to Canada a couple of times of year to visit the in-laws. But that is on Hornby Island, a BC mid gulf island.

Old 09-02-2019   #30
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
Just to add, if you want a Leica a Bessa won't scratch that itch. As they say, poor people pay twice. Get what you really want.
Unless you're like me, and you own an MP, but you still want your old Hexar RF back, and a Bessa, and a Nikon, and a Zeiss Ikon, and a....

Trust me, scratching the Leica itch really hard doesn't make the camera itch go away. If you're on a budget, scratch the itch you can scratch, knowing that you'd have still been itchy if you had gone for the most expensive itchy spot.

Old 09-02-2019   #31
Huss

Quote:
Well I was just offered an m4-2 for $1200, thats probably the best value I can find and hope to just deal with and learn to not have a built in light meter. ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
You were mugged. Sorry. This camera doesn't cost these money even nowadays. It is under 1K$ USD camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
You have probably chosen the worst time in recent history to want a film M on a budget. $1200 for an M4-2 is crazy.
Yeah that is nuts money for an M4-2.

And Bessas do not compare to Leicas. I had an R3A and sold it after one roll of film because I didn't like the feel of it, or the operation and realized I would never use it over any of my Leicas.

Old 09-02-2019   #32
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
Unless you're like me, and you own an MP, but you still want your old Hexar RF back, and a Bessa, and a Nikon, and a Zeiss Ikon, and a....

Trust me, scratching the Leica itch really hard doesn't make the camera itch go away. If you're on a budget, scratch the itch you can scratch, knowing that you'd have still been itchy if you had gone for the most expensive itchy spot.
Funny though, I bought M6 Classic years ago, then added Bessa R2a, Bessa R4M and now I keep on using mostly Bessas, only shoot a few rolls a year with my M6. I even considered selling it (as it seems the time is good for sellers). Does it mean I dealt with that Leica itch and can move on or will I regret later if I sell it?

Old 09-02-2019   #33
CharlesDAMorgan

I had an M6 at the same time as an M3, sold it and don't miss it at all. I've since added an M2, an M5 and a Leica III, with no desire for an M6. My only regret in selling it is that I could have got more waiting a year. I didn't like the meter, always preferring matched needle displays.

At present, with a further 4 Leica SLRs I think the camera itch has gone, the lens itch remains, but unless I win the lottery, I can't afford the Leica M glass I want.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 09-02-2019   #34
useless generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
She got quite the beauties. Thanks for sharing.

Marcelo
Hate to disappoint everyone but i emailed her a month back inquiring about buying something and she doesn't have anything. They are old listings she said she hasn't updated her site

Old 09-03-2019   #35
vandal138

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless generation View Post
Hate to disappoint everyone but i emailed her a month back inquiring about buying something and she doesn't have anything. They are old listings she said she hasn't updated her site
Unfortunately true Not surprised those cameras all got snatched up so quickly.
Now the m4-2 for $1200 doesn't sound like such a bad deal after all?

Old 09-03-2019   #36
Out to Lunch

Amazing price hike for the 35mm rangefinders! I just had a look at second-hand Voigtlanders on Ebay and it's the same thing. Be patient, and if you think you need a light meter, stick to that configuration. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2019   #37
leicapixie

I am a Leica owner but..
here in Toronto and Canada, no official service anymore and NJ .NY does NOT get good ratings, plus excessive penalties dealing with USA..
My M6TTL is a good camera but personally using less and less..
The framing in one word "Sucks".
For price of a coffee a SLR, Canon, Pentax, Nikon and Minolta can be found for price of a few coffees..
Lenses easy and I defy anyone to see difference in sharpness..
All cameras are good, only lousy photographers..

Old 09-03-2019   #38
Out to Lunch

Before visiting Toronto this summer, I actively looked for someone to service my 35mm Leica cameras. No such luck. Apparently, the last surviving technician had stopped working because of family reasons. Perhaps the Canadian market is too small. Just guessing.

Old 09-03-2019   #39
Deardorff38

"Out to Lunch" .... We just send them to Don Goldberg at DAG in the USA. Great work & reasonable turnaround. Since cameras became more plastic & electronics, ,no one is lining up to train as a camera repair technician. The guys doing it are reaching retirement age. Have you tried to get a washing machine or T.V. repaired lately?

Old 09-03-2019   #40
Out to Lunch

Quote:
We just send them to Don Goldberg at DAG in the USA. Great work & reasonable turnaround.
Just curious...what is the turn-around time for Leica M6 TTL and M7? When the repaired cameras come back to you in Canada, no tax and importation issues? Thanks for your feedback, Peter