Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Kodak Ektra shutter repair
Old 08-12-2019   #1
SimonPJ

Kodak Ektra shutter repair

Can anyone recommend a technician who is experienced in repairing the Kodak Extra shutter, and still willing to take them on?

I have a full outfit of Extra lenses, but my Extra has been out of action for several years after its shutter ribbons gave up the ghost.

I'm based in the UK, but would be happy to ship the camera anywhere in the world if there's someone who can do a really good job.

Many thanks,

Simon

Old 08-12-2019   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPJ View Post
Can anyone recommend a technician who is experienced in repairing the Kodak Extra shutter, and still willing to take them on?

I have a full outfit of Extra lenses, but my Extra has been out of action for several years after its shutter ribbons gave up the ghost.

I'm based in the UK, but would be happy to ship the camera anywhere in the world if there's someone who can do a really good job.

Many thanks,

Simon
Have you enquired with Newton Ellis? They're in your country and can repair a wide range of mechanisms. Otherwise, the first person I'd suggest is Radu Lesaru at 3r camera in New York. He's demonstrated a consistent willingness to work on difficult and/or unusual designs many repairers won't even consider. And has a fantastic reputation. I'd suggest emailing him to enquire. I suspect Frank Marshman could probably repair one, too. Whether he'd want to, or not, is another matter though. But nothing seems to faze Radu so I would probably start with him if Newton Ellis aren't an option.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-12-2019   #3
SimonPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Have you enquired with Newton Ellis? They're in your country and can repair a wide range of mechanisms. Otherwise, the first person I'd suggest is Radu Lesaru at 3r camera in New York. He's demonstrated a consistent willingness to work on difficult and/or unusual designs many repairers won't even consider. And has a fantastic reputation. I'd suggest emailing him to enquire. I suspect Frank Marshman could probably repair one, too. Whether he'd want to, or not, is another matter though. But nothing seems to faze Radu so I would probably start with him if Newton Ellis aren't an option.
Cheers
Brett

Thanks Brett.

I understand that the Ektra is considered to be particularly difficult to work on, and the shutter particularly delicate. I’ll enquire with your recommendations as to their appetite to take on the challenge.

Old 08-12-2019   #4
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPJ View Post
Thanks Brett.

I understand that the Ektra is considered to be particularly difficult to work on, and the shutter particularly delicate. I’ll enquire with your recommendations as to their appetite to take on the challenge.
Yes, incredibly innovative and still very much a desirable camera today, but one with a reputation for being problematic. The suggested people were mentioned with this fact very much in mind. Please follow up and let us know how you go—I'll be interested to find out—and it might help other owners thinking about using one.
Cheers
Brett