Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Kodak Ektra shutter repair
Old 08-12-2019   #1
SimonPJ
Registered User
 
SimonPJ is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 134
Kodak Ektra shutter repair

Can anyone recommend a technician who is experienced in repairing the Kodak Extra shutter, and still willing to take them on?

I have a full outfit of Extra lenses, but my Extra has been out of action for several years after its shutter ribbons gave up the ghost.

I'm based in the UK, but would be happy to ship the camera anywhere in the world if there's someone who can do a really good job.

Many thanks,

Simon
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2019   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPJ View Post
Can anyone recommend a technician who is experienced in repairing the Kodak Extra shutter, and still willing to take them on?

I have a full outfit of Extra lenses, but my Extra has been out of action for several years after its shutter ribbons gave up the ghost.

I'm based in the UK, but would be happy to ship the camera anywhere in the world if there's someone who can do a really good job.

Many thanks,

Simon
Have you enquired with Newton Ellis? They're in your country and can repair a wide range of mechanisms. Otherwise, the first person I'd suggest is Radu Lesaru at 3r camera in New York. He's demonstrated a consistent willingness to work on difficult and/or unusual designs many repairers won't even consider. And has a fantastic reputation. I'd suggest emailing him to enquire. I suspect Frank Marshman could probably repair one, too. Whether he'd want to, or not, is another matter though. But nothing seems to faze Radu so I would probably start with him if Newton Ellis aren't an option.
Cheers
Brett
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2019   #3
SimonPJ
Registered User
 
SimonPJ is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Have you enquired with Newton Ellis? They're in your country and can repair a wide range of mechanisms. Otherwise, the first person I'd suggest is Radu Lesaru at 3r camera in New York. He's demonstrated a consistent willingness to work on difficult and/or unusual designs many repairers won't even consider. And has a fantastic reputation. I'd suggest emailing him to enquire. I suspect Frank Marshman could probably repair one, too. Whether he'd want to, or not, is another matter though. But nothing seems to faze Radu so I would probably start with him if Newton Ellis aren't an option.
Cheers
Brett


Thanks Brett.

I understand that the Ektra is considered to be particularly difficult to work on, and the shutter particularly delicate. I’ll enquire with your recommendations as to their appetite to take on the challenge.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2019   #4
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPJ View Post
Thanks Brett.

I understand that the Ektra is considered to be particularly difficult to work on, and the shutter particularly delicate. I’ll enquire with your recommendations as to their appetite to take on the challenge.
Yes, incredibly innovative and still very much a desirable camera today, but one with a reputation for being problematic. The suggested people were mentioned with this fact very much in mind. Please follow up and let us know how you go—I'll be interested to find out—and it might help other owners thinking about using one.
Cheers
Brett
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 19:03.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.