Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

Spherical Aberration Solved!
Old 08-07-2019   #1
NeonKnight

Spherical Aberration Solved!

https://gizmodo.com/a-mexican-physic...tha-1837031984

How long until we see this in new products? How do you all think it affects the premium brands?

Old 08-07-2019   #2
charjohncarter

That's quit an equation. It will be interesting if anyone uses it.

Old 08-07-2019   #3
NickTrop

The lens is a geographically complex singlet. (Looks rather like a sideways mustache.) Be interesting to see where this goes. Interesting article (there are also others). Thanks for posting.

Old 08-07-2019   #4
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The photo shows a Nikkor lens. Are we to understand that it's a prototype, the new invention having been installed in a Nikon mount? Is there a working prototype yet? This could be really big, if it is practical to manufacture. I believe it is too complex to grind. Perhaps it can be done using Leica's method of pressing molten glass into the required shape.

Old 08-07-2019   #5
nickthetasmaniac

Clickbaity article makes fuss about incredible solution without actually explaining or even discussing solution. But you'll never believe what happens next!

Well, it is Gizmodo...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 08-07-2019   #6
sreed2006

The original paper by the authors is here:
https://www.osapublishing.org/ao/ful...9341&id=399640

The lens cross-section does not have to look like a mustache. Whenever complex wavy lines are used in this type of work, it just means, "An arbitrarily shaped surface." The equation gives what the back of the lens needs to look like given what the front of the lens looks like. So there can be all kinds of variations, hopefully some that can actually be made.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 08-08-2019   #7
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Of course, with spherical aberration solved, there are still six more aberrations to deal with.

Old 08-08-2019   #8
Beemermark

I find the head line "Scientist solves 2000 year old problem" a little difficult to swallow. Crude lenses were invented around 1600 in microscopes and I can assure you no or very simple math was used to create them. Only in the last 100 years has optical theory evolved to the point that aberrations are understood and corrected. So the headline makes me take the whole story as fake news.

Old 08-08-2019   #9
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I believe it is too complex to grind. Perhaps it can be done using Leica's method of pressing molten glass into the required shape.
That's what I was thinking. Grinding such a lens with traditional methods would prove difficult (and costly).

Old 08-08-2019   #10
zuiko85

So many amazing breakthroughs....
The photographer’s world must surely be perfect by now.

Old 08-08-2019   #11
Out to Lunch

I'll be a true believer when Leica, Sony, Canon and Nikon are using this 'amazing' breakthrough. Until then...just a bit more internet hype.