Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

35/1.4 Nokton II Preview
Old 05-03-2019   #1
bayernfan

35/1.4 Nokton II Preview

Rumor/News:

https://leicarumors.com/2019/05/03/n...-may-7th.aspx/

From the link:

Focal length: 35mm
Diameter ratio: 1:1.4
Minimum aperture: f/16
Lens configuration: eight elements in six groups
Angle of view: 63.0 °
Stop blade number: 10
Minimum focusing distance: 0.7m
Maximum diameter × total length: φ55.0 × 28.5mm
Filter size: φ43mm
Weight: 189g
Suggested retail price (excluding tax) ¥ 75,000 or around $670 (the current version is priced at $629)
JAN code: 4530076132368
Accessories: optional hood LH-6 can be mounted

Wondering if it's a recalculated optical formula or just a new exterior.

Old 05-03-2019   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

What is new in exterior?

Old 05-03-2019   #3
Noserider

Possible just exterior; the original Nokton 35mm f/1.4 MC had an 8/6 formula and a quite good lens for the day; the one I used mostly matched the V.3 cron I have from 1.8 on. I thought of it as either an faster pre-asph 'cron with a touch of distortion OR a more refined (or Mint Glass) Pre-asph 'lux. Nice idea for them to release again this lens I'm sure people will be happy.

Old 05-03-2019   #4
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserider View Post
Possible just exterior; the original Nokton 35mm f/1.4 MC had an 8/6 formula and a quite good lens for the day; the one I used mostly matched the V.3 cron I have from 1.8 on. I thought of it as either an faster pre-asph 'cron with a touch of distortion OR a more refined (or Mint Glass) Pre-asph 'lux. Nice idea for them to release again this lens I'm sure people will be happy.
I had hoped they'd correct the barrel distortion with a re-release, however, it doesn't seem likely given the identical optical specifications and lens dimensions.

Old 05-03-2019   #5
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
What is new in exterior?
The barrel design is changed to "vintage line with focusing stick" style
Hehe I have no idea actually, I just made that up.
I think we can expect some optical formula tweaks for use on digital cameras though, such as reduced focus shift and field curvature. Hopefully that also means reduced barrel distortion.

Old 05-04-2019   #6
dourbalistar

Lensrentals tested the (current) CV Nokton 35/1.4 a few years back and found it had some "pretty wicked curvature".
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...ld-curvatures/

flickr

Old 05-07-2019   #7
aizan

So the announcement was today.

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1183108.html

The only difference I can see is the aperture ring going from the "wing" tabs to the newer style like the 35/2 Ultron and 21/3.5 Color Skopar.

Version 2

Version 1

The lens diagram looks very similar as before:

Version 2

Version 1

Old 05-07-2019   #8
jonmanjiro

Yep, basically the same optical formula but the version 2 diagram does show a few tweaks. The 2nd and 7th elements are larger in diameter and extend beyond the 3rd and 6th elements, and the pink element is anomalous partial dispersion glass (a type of extra-low dispersion glass). Same optics as the E-mount version.

Old 05-07-2019   #9
Noserider

Yeah I see a few differences as well. Looks like a couple of small production changes to those now stepped doublets; perhaps a slightly revised internal barrel could hold that group to a higher tolerance. Also the change to ED glass with the pink element would be a good way to further optimize an already good design. I'm impressed and especially for the price.

Old 05-08-2019   #10
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Yep, basically the same optical formula but the version 2 diagram does show a few tweaks. The 2nd and 7th elements are larger in diameter and extend beyond the 3rd and 6th elements, and the pink element is anomalous partial dispersion glass (a type of extra-low dispersion glass). Same optics as the E-mount version.
Spot on from what I can see -

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1183108.html

Press release from dc.watch seems to say the low dispersion element and optical tweaks reduce focus shift but retain the original noktons under corrected character.

Sounds good!

Old 05-08-2019   #11
Archiver

I've got weirdly mixed feelings about my V1. On one hand, it's a very fast and compact 35 with vintage character and great build quality and exterior design. On the other, bokeh can be oddly jittery and it's glowy wide open. This glowy character can be both boon and bane; some of my favourite pictures were taken with this lens on the M9, making full use of its glow and softness. But other times I'd like a contrasty modern image.

This new one, I'm interested to see what, if any, noticeable changes have been made to the way it renders.

Old 05-08-2019   #12
Archlich

If they could correct at least some of the focus shift then it's gonna be awesome.

Hopefully they'd also improve the barrel design which would often lead to wobbling.

Old 06-28-2019   #13
Ccoppola82

Does anyone have any updates on the new version? I’m curious if they corrected the focus shift or barrel distortion at all

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 06-28-2019   #14
j.scooter

The lens is out now. I read a quick overview from a member on l-camera forum but would love to hear more about this lens.

Old 06-28-2019   #15
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It is not listed on BH, nor with our Bartender.

Old 06-28-2019   #16
j.scooter

Ko.Fe it is not on the page with the other 35s
But it is on a separate page
https://shop.cameraquest.com/index.p...r=35mm+f1.4+II

Old 06-28-2019   #17
Huss

Version II improved to eliminate focus shift with new high index glass element

What is interesting is it is again available in SC and MC versions. When I had both versions of the 40 1.4, I ran tests and could not see any difference in flare control or contrast.

Old 06-28-2019   #18
Ccoppola82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Version II improved to eliminate focus shift with new high index glass element

What is interesting is it is again available in SC and MC versions. When I had both versions of the 40 1.4, I ran tests and could not see any difference in flare control or contrast.
If they V2 entirely removes focus shift, I may upgrade. The distortion doesn’t bother me as much for what I use, but focus shift has been a problem once in a while.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 06-28-2019   #19
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
Ko.Fe it is not on the page with the other 35s
But it is on a separate page
https://shop.cameraquest.com/index.p...r=35mm+f1.4+II
Fantastic page. Most adorable lens I have seen on nicest camera I know!

Old 07-02-2019   #20
taffy

Anyone have this lens already? Shot with the v1 for the first time this week and I think it's a pretty sweet lens.

Old 07-03-2019   #21
predicolous

can't wait for example images - who'll be the first to post? Most interesting lens in my opinion of the last VM releases.

I like this "classic Voigtländer" look of the lens more than the retro look of the new 35mm Ultron f/2.
And f/1.4 is more to my taste as well,... pretty sure I'll get myself a copy one day !

Old 07-08-2019   #22
steveyork

FYI -- The lens has been reviewed over the Leica Forum, by someone who had both old and new versions. In summary, per them, focus shift has been reduced, but still noticeable at f/4 (i.e., point of focus not covered by DOF). I'm not sure of the test parameters, and I assume the test camera was a digital M. Hop over there and read the guy's review for more.

Old 07-08-2019   #23
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyork View Post
FYI -- The lens has been reviewed over the Leica Forum, by someone who had both old and new versions. In summary, per them, focus shift has been reduced, but still noticeable at f/4 (i.e., point of focus not covered by DOF). I'm not sure of the test parameters, and I assume the test camera was a digital M. Hop over there and read the guy's review for more.
Steve, would you post a link please? I went over to the LF and couldn't find the review using their search engine. Thanks

Old 07-08-2019   #24
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Steve, would you post a link please? I went over to the LF and couldn't find the review using their search engine. Thanks
From TomB_X --

Well, the lens arrived, and mechanical design and construction are basically the same as ver1 - which is very much like a Leica lens and is a joy to use.

All I've done so far is shoot a quick focus-shift test from a tripod to a focus scale chart, using both ver1 and ver2 lenses. As I suspected (because all fast lenses I've checked carefully show some shift when stopping down), the focus shift has NOT been completely "eliminated" as they stated, but has been reduced. As I've gotten some very good results with ver1, ver2 should be more useful.

Both lenses show perfect focus at f1.4, and while ver1 shows slight shift at f2.0 (with the focus point still within DOF), the new lens shift isn't really visible yet. By 2.8 on the new lens shift is obvious (looking at the scale), but the focus point is still within the DOF - while ver1 the focus point is clearly blurred. On the new lens the focus point is worst at f4.0, while by 5.6 the DOF begins to cover it again, and it's quite good at f8.0 and by f11 the whole chart looks good. (On v1, even at f11 the near side of the chart was quite out of focus.)

I found with v1 the sharpness was about the same as my 1971 Summicron 35 (v2), and the ver2 may be a bit better - but a Zeiss f2 or Summarit is obviously sharper.

So I'm not sending it back - it will be a good lens for my M9, where only f4 may take a bit of compensation. I'll stick with the Summarit 35 on my M10.

Old 07-08-2019   #25
Gregm61

As was also noted by another poster, only Steve from Steve's Digicams stated incorrectly on his site that focus shift had been eliminated. Cosina's own web site says the focus shift in the updated model has been "almost entirely eliminated", which should not be interpreted by anyone as meaning "eliminated"...

From Cosina's own site...

https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/v...assic/?lang=en

Old 07-16-2019   #26
steveyork

Just now getting back into Leica rangefinders after a 10+ year absence. Took a stroll with the dog with this new lens, so I'll post a few samples here. Don't know anything about version I, but in my very limited experience I find CV lenses across the board a bit flat, even more so when Vuescan is the scanning software, so I ended up boosting contrast in PS (albeit the day was overcast). No focus shift as far as I can see but it was film.

CV 35mm f/1.4 Nokton MC II (yellow filter) + Fomapan 100 in HC-110 (1:31 for 6 min)

Sunday Morning by Steve, on Flickr

Old 07-16-2019   #27
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Thank you for the example provided. Feels like Friday.
I'm not sure if it is the lens contrast or Foma emulsion ugliness (worse film I ever tried).

As for flatness, then I asked someone who purchased Summarit 35 2.5 after using first version of this Nokton lens, same answer was given.

I would not brash CV lens across all board with same conclusion. I did not find Ultron 35 1.7 to be flat at all, nor Nokton 50 1.5. Ugly Bettie bodies with nice optics. And Color Skopar 25 f4 was nice, not flat on prints and just lovely made lens.

Old 07-16-2019   #28
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Thank you for the example provided. Feels like Friday.
I'm not sure if it is the lens contrast or Foma emulsion ugliness (worse film I ever tried).

As for flatness, then I asked someone who purchased Summarit 35 2.5 after using first version of this Nokton lens, same answer was given.

I would not brash CV lens across all board with same conclusion. I did not find Ultron 35 1.7 to be flat at all, nor Nokton 50 1.5. Ugly Bettie bodies with nice optics. And Color Skopar 25 f4 was nice, not flat on prints and just lovely made lens.
Good to know about their other M mount lenses. They're great values. I've only used a few of their F and S mount lenses, and those not extensively.

Old 07-17-2019   #29
steveyork

CV 35mm f/1.4 Nokton MC II (yellow filter) + Fomapan 100 in HC-110 (1:31 for 6 min)

Sunday Morning Puddles by Steve, on Flickr

Old 07-17-2019   #30
steveyork

Shot wide open at about MFD, focused on the sign.

CV 35mm f/1.4 Nokton MC II (yellow filter) + Fomapan 100 in HC-110 (1:31 fr 6 min)

Crumpled Sign -- Wide Open by Steve, on Flickr

Old 08-06-2019   #31
steveyork

CV 35mm f/1.4 Nokton II MC (yellow filter) + Fomapan 100 in Rodinal (1:50)

Day After Night by Steve, on Flickr

Old 08-06-2019   #32
luuca

I've broken my lux 35 v2 and I'm looking for this lens as a substitute: assuming that I will use it only for film (both bw and color), do you think focus shift will be an issue? or the problem is noticeable only with digital cameras?

Old 08-06-2019   #33
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuca View Post
I've broken my lux 35 v2 and I'm looking for this lens as a substitute: assuming that I will use it only for film (both bw and color), do you think focus shift will be an issue? or the problem is noticeable only with digital cameras?
With film, and only two test rolls, I haven't noticed any focus shift on this lens either wide open at minimum focusing distance or the "dreaded f/4" that a quoted reviewer alluded to above. But I haven't done any formal testing. I'm rather pleasantly surprised with this lens.

The shot above on the Corona bottle was f/4 at 1/1000.

Old 08-07-2019   #34
steveyork

MC version, Fomapan 100 in Rodinal (1:50 for 9 min)

Protected by the Cross by Steve, on Flickr

Old 08-08-2019   #35
luuca

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyork View Post
With film, and only two test rolls, I haven't noticed any focus shift on this lens either wide open at minimum focusing distance or the "dreaded f/4" that a quoted reviewer alluded to above. But I haven't done any formal testing. I'm rather pleasantly surprised with this lens.

The shot above on the Corona bottle was f/4 at 1/1000.
thank you, as I thought on film shift-focus is a no-problem.
I've just bought a SC copy, I will carry it on travel in Croatia, with tri-x and cinestill 800, let's see what happen!

35/1.4 Nokton II Preview
Old 09-03-2019   #36
luuca

35/1.4 Nokton II Preview

my first roll with the nokton 35 II sc

I like it!
I must admit I didn't miss my old summilux
I just hate the lens cap, it fell off a hundred times while I had the camera fixed on my hip

Old 09-03-2019   #37
jbielikowski
call me Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by luuca View Post
my first roll with the nokton 35 II sc

I like it!
I must admit I didn't miss my old summilux
I just hate the lens cap, it fell off a hundred times while I had the camera fixed on my hip
never seen such straight lines from Nokton 35/1.4!

Old 09-03-2019   #38
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
never seen such straight lines from Nokton 35/1.4!

Nor I!

That's gorgeous.

Old 09-03-2019   #39
luuca

you mean barrel distortion? that one was @f8

Old 09-04-2019   #40
Gregm61

I’d “fix” the cap by getting the vented hood and just never using the front cap.