Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

Tessars and triplets?
Old 09-08-2018   #1
Birck Cox

Tessars and triplets?

Just a question: in catalogs and photo articles A description of a particular lens is often accompanied by an illustration of the lens in vertical section, showing stacks of lenses singly and in groups. How am I to use that information? What can I tell about the lens? How am I benefited by knowing that it's 7 lenses in two groups?

Old 09-08-2018   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birck Cox View Post
Just a question: in catalogs and photo articles A description of a particular lens is often accompanied by an illustration of the lens in vertical section, showing stacks of lenses singly and in groups. How am I to use that information? What can I tell about the lens? How am I benefited by knowing that it's 7 lenses in two groups?
It might tell you what design the lens falls under, Cooke Triplet, Tessar, Planar, Heliar, Sonnar, Planat/RR, etc.

But it will not tell too much about the images that lens will make in the OOF areas, and even the name might be re-used by a lens maker and applied to a lens of not of that design for more added confusion, the name "Sonnar" comes to mind

Old 09-08-2018   #3
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

I think the answer is that a lot of people like technical details, even though they don't or can't use the information. And lenses aren't the only area where this info is given; look at car catalogues and so on.

Regards, David

Old 09-08-2018   #4
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Taking apart a lens to clean it and not sure how to put the elements back? Those illustrations can help (happened to me once with a Zuiko).

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 09-11-2018   #5
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

If you're looking at older lenses these cross sections can provide important information. I recently repaired a camera with an Aldis Uno lens. It's a triplet with three elements in two groups, two elements being cemented together. Since it is uncoated, this is important because it means there are fewer glass to air surfaces than in the more common Cooke triplet type which has three elements in three groups - air spaces between each. Fewer air spaces mean less internally reflecting light, and therefore higher contrast.