Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Slide copying with an Illumitran
Old 08-19-2017   #1
Roger Hicks

Slide copying with an Illumitran

For those who find the short stories a little too recherché, a simple, straightforward technical piece about recycling old transparencies with the aid of a Bowens Illumitran.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-19-2017   #2
Huss

It really is amazing 'scanning' old film and seeing how much information has really been captured.

Old 08-19-2017   #3
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

So the idea is we would use it with a digital camera mounted on the Illumitran, rather than a film camera (as in the old days)? So are they available in mounts for various cameras? I would want to use my D700, I guess with my 55mm Micro-Nikkor. Pretty much my only option. I guess you just have to ask the seller what mount the bellows are for (if they know).

Seems it might be a good alternative to regular scanning.

Old 08-19-2017   #4
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

I have the Beseler Dual-Mode Duplicator. Mount is generic, tripod screw, you add your own bellows or close-focusing lens. Works fabulously.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 08-19-2017   #5
Alfaken

I have a tired old Ilumitran 3C that I put many hundreds of roll of Kodak slide duping film through with my Nikon F90 on top and a Nikor 60mm enlarging lens on the other end ok the bellows. I have just discovered my Nikon D600 fits. I'm planning on doing some testing digitizing some slides. It'll be a lot faster than anything else I've tried.

Ken Lee

Old 08-20-2017   #6
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
So the idea is we would use it with a digital camera mounted on the Illumitran, rather than a film camera (as in the old days)? So are they available in mounts for various cameras? I would want to use my D700, I guess with my 55mm Micro-Nikkor. Pretty much my only option. I guess you just have to ask the seller what mount the bellows are for (if they know).

Seems it might be a good alternative to regular scanning.
Dear Rob,

The mounts are interchangeable, e.g. http://www.macrobellows.com/shop_mounts.php or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BPM-Camera...-/192281789976 -- just Google "BPM bellows".

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-20-2017   #7
Ronald M

Copy stand and illumination under diffused glass.

I used to cut a mask bigger than slide MOUNT so I could get a flash exposure at one time. This cuts contrast and allows copying slides with regular slide film.

Old 08-20-2017   #8
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
I have the Beseler Dual-Mode Duplicator. Mount is generic, tripod screw, you add your own bellows or close-focusing lens. Works fabulously.
What formats does it handle?

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-20-2017   #9
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaken View Post
I have a tired old Ilumitran 3C that I put many hundreds of roll of Kodak slide duping film through with my Nikon F90 on top and a Nikor 60mm enlarging lens on the other end ok the bellows. I have just discovered my Nikon D600 fits. I'm planning on doing some testing digitizing some slides. It'll be a lot faster than anything else I've tried.

Ken Lee
Dear Ken.

I doubt you'll regret the experiment. Yes, with SOME partially faded or low-quality 35mm images, Digital ICE is better than anything you can do with an Illumitran. But if the slide looks good, the digital Illumitran dupe should be excellent. I deliberately chose some failures for the piece linked.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-20-2017   #10
Alfaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Ken.

I doubt you'll regret the experiment. Yes, with SOME partially faded or low-quality 35mm images, Digital ICE is better than anything you can do with an Illumitran. But if the slide looks good, the digital Illumitran dupe should be excellent. I deliberately chose some failures for the piece linked.

Cheers,

R.
I was pleased when I discovered my D600 fit. My old D70 was too fat. And since there is no film involved, I don't need to figure out a filter pack.

Tnx, Ken