Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

Voigtlander 15mm Heliar - Version 1 vs Version 3?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
shorelineae

Smile Voigtlander 15mm Heliar - Version 1 vs Version 3?

I'm considering buying the Voigtlander 15mm version 1 or the version 3. I'm torn between which to buy:

Arguments in favor of Screw mount (Version 1):
  • I can use it on my Bessa L, which is more appropriate to use as a dedicate wide-angle camera than swapping around lenses on my M5.
  • It's smaller and lighter than version 3
  • I can use it on digital in BW (color fringing is irrelevant)
  • It's cheaper than version 3.

Arguments in favor of Leica M Mount ASPH (Version 3):
  • I can use it on my M5 and M240 (but not on Bessa L)
  • I can use it on digital and not worry about the purple fringing

I am leaning towards Version 1 at the moment... the question is, is purple fringing the only drawback to using Version 1 on full-frame digital cameras??

Last edited by shorelineae : 3 Weeks Ago at 08:56. Reason: Changed icon

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

You can also use the Version 1 on your M mounts with a cheap adapter (not rangefinder coupled so you can find the cheapest available).

OTOH the Version 3 is rangefinder coupled so focus is easier in that rare case the Depth of Field doesn't cover it.

As to fringing, I've used V1 on my A7s and never noticed anything.

Version 3 will need a finder - the total cost is multiples of a Version 1 with one. If you use it all the time possibly worth it, if not, I can't see the real point.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Corran

Version 1 on my M9 with the 21mm f/2.8 coding worked just fine, not much fringing noticeable except occasionally on very flat grey skies if shooting in that condition. YMMV.

12mm and 15mm (v.1, actually Nikon F mount models) are great lenses for ultrawide on film. Leave digital at home .

I actually did ditch the M9 finally. Traded for a Widelux F7 and some change. Couldn't be happier.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
shorelineae

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Version 1 on my M9 with the 21mm f/2.8 coding worked just fine, not much fringing noticeable except occasionally on very flat grey skies if shooting in that condition. YMMV.

12mm and 15mm (v.1, actually Nikon F mount models) are great lenses for ultrawide on film. Leave digital at home .

I actually did ditch the M9 finally. Traded for a Widelux F7 and some change. Couldn't be happier.
Fascinating. Which 15mm Nikon F lens do you recommend? Widelux!! Nice.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Corran

Sorry if I was unclear, I mean I have the Voigtlander 12mm and 15mm "ver. 1" lenses, except the special Nikon F-mount models (MLU only). I use them on my Nikon SP, Leica M6, or sometimes Nikon F-mount film bodies!

I also have the Nikkor 15mm f/3.5 SLR lens, which is a massive grapefruit of a lens comparatively. And not as good. But it looks cool .

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Emile de Leon

Ver 1 is nice and light. Probably not as good in the corners as the other versions..
But for my purposes..works fine.
Esp when traveling.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
shorelineae

Thanks folks. Does anyone have feedback on the metal viewfinder (ver 2) vs the plastic viewfinder (ver 1)?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
CharlesDAMorgan

The plastic one is high quality, fits perfectly and does the job. It does not feel in any way inferior. It's glass where it matters.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Monochrom

Hi, i`ve had v1 and v2, both are the same optics.

The 1st one can be used on ltm and m with adapter.

The viewfinder is very important, the round one in metal has framlines and it`s awesome! Avoid the plastic one.

the 3rd version i beleive is retrofocus and it will wok better on digital cameras should avoid the vignette 1st and 2nd versions display on digital.

I let go my 15....bad....

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
jarski

all versions are great on film. last v3 also on digital.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I had a v1 LTM 15mm. It was an ok performer only, particularly at corners and edges, even on film. But fun to use anyway and made good photos. Never used it on digital.

The v3 is a much better performer and works very well and on film and digital. Tried one, liked it, but went for the 10mm instead. For a 15, I’m sticking with the massive Super-Elmar-R 15mm, simply a brilliant lens in every way other than being massive.

G

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
shimokita
白黒

I picked up ver 2... m-mount, coupled, threaded for filters... Use it on a film M and happy with the results... I have the plastic finder or just shooting without a finder... no problems either way. Casey

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
shorelineae

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Leave digital at home .
I'm stilling mulling over this... since I'm new to 15mm (still waiting for the lens), and I am going on a trip for a limited time, the logical choice would be to slap it on my M240 and learn the focal length that way. If I use film, I won't have time to get it developed, review the results and learn...

The tentative plan right now is to take: Leica M5 (50mm, my regular) + Bessa L (15mm) + and M240 as a backup body. I also want to take my Pen FV but that will be too much.

4 cameras is too much. 3 is already a handful. Even two can be troublesome as I learnt on a different trip earlier this year.

This leads me to a related and possibly silly question: how faithful is the 15mm viewfinder in representing the actual distortion of the 15mm lens?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
shawn

The viewfinder is in the ballpark but not perfect. The actual captured image is a little wider than what the VF is showing. I don't think the VF is very good for estimating the perspective distortion as you are not really seeing it all at once. You will shift your eye and focus to check the sides which doesn't happen with the captured image.

When framing is critical you have liveview on the m240.

Shawn

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
shorelineae

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
The viewfinder is in the ballpark but not perfect. The actual captured image is a little wider than what the VF is showing. I don't think the VF is very good for estimating the perspective distortion as you are not really seeing it all at once. You will shift your eye and focus to check the sides which doesn't happen with the captured image.

When framing is critical you have liveview on the m240.

Shawn
Very clear. Thank you, Shawn.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
Out to Lunch

CV designed the III version for use with digital cameras. I also have the II...both are excellent wide angle lenses.

I got the metal one!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
shorelineae

Thumbs up I got the metal one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochrom View Post
The viewfinder is very important, the round one in metal has framlines and it`s awesome! Avoid the plastic one.
You were right. I got the metal one and boy it's amazing! It almost feels like I'm looking at a digital representation, it's so crisp. The framelines are nice and fat. I also have no trouble seeing the frame lines despite wearing glasses.