Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Old 04-20-2011   #41
gyuribacsi

I have some shareable photos with Moskva5. Look at my flickr.site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/megapickle1/
Look the albums "boring landsscapes" or "Munich in Winter" there you will find some Moskva5 shots.
Cheers
George

Old 04-23-2011   #42
roboflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
hey, anyone with sample images to share from this camera ?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3937344...n/photostream/

Old 04-23-2011   #43
Uwe_Nds
Chief Assistant Driver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uwends/...n/photostream/

Cheers,
Uwe

My photos on RFF

Project Sunshine

My website

Old 04-25-2011   #44
roboflick

How do I display a picture from flickr rather than the linK?
Thanks nik

Old 04-25-2011   #45
Uwe_Nds
Chief Assistant Driver

With Firefox: Grab the picture with the mouse and pull it - left mouse button pressed - into the tab bar. A new tab opens showing only the picture. Copy the address of the picture and insert it into your post.

Cheers,
Uwe

My photos on RFF

Project Sunshine

My website

Old 06-10-2013   #46
quicksilvermike
quicksilver

Moscow 5
Fuji Neopan 100
Kodak D76 1:1
Epson V600

Old 06-23-2013   #47
summar

I also bought a Moskva 5 in good shape from 'grizzly bear' (who, I believe, is a woman). The results are just fine, but the camera took some getting used to. Like the Super Ikonta it seems to have been designed for a left-eyed, lefthanded shooter while I'm right-eyed and righthanded. Its weak point for me is the tiny viewfinder located at the extreme right. Parallax is a real problem if you're shooting anywhere close. I've never had the chance to look at a Moskva 4 or earlier models which have an Albada finder located directly above the lens. I imagine this would make it a lot easier to adjust for parallax.

Old 01-10-2016   #48
Kent
Finally at home...

I'd like to resurrect this thread, since I got my copy of the Moskva-5 two days ago from the Ukraine.

It seems in good shape, shutter is working, so I have loaded the first roll and can't wait to shoot it!
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 01-11-2016   #49
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by literiter View Post
The Moskva 5 and the later model of the Moskva 4 are great cameras.
The only real issue these may have is a loose front standard which could be difficult to repair. I have been able to fix all other problems so far. I have not had to replace a bellows yet.

Have you figured out how to correct the loose front standard yet? Do you know what causes it?

Old 01-11-2016   #50
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I'd like to resurrect this thread, since I got my copy of the Moskva-5 two days ago from the Ukraine.

It seems in good shape, shutter is working, so I have loaded the first roll and can't wait to shoot it!
Congrats on your purchase, the Moskva-5 is a fun camera. I have one myself, everything on it works 100%, even the self-timer.

Old 01-11-2016   #51
raid
Dad Photographer

Is it true that the lens in the Moskva-4 is sharper than the lens in the Moskva-5?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-11-2016   #52
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Industar 23 is 28/12 (Moskva-4), I-24 is 23/13 (Moskva-5).

Old 01-12-2016   #53
raid
Dad Photographer

My Russian is weak ....

Buying or not?
Old 02-16-2016   #54
tho60

Buying or not?

To make the long story short, do you recommend Moskva-5 for buying, or not?

Old 03-31-2016   #55
znapper

I did a review of my Moskva 5 a while back, have a look.
The review also contain some easy steps to fine-tune your focus, as well as shooting technique tips.

http://helino-photo.blogspot.no/2015...-moskva-5.html

For the price you pay, the Moskva-5 is a gem actually, I find it to be very rugged and solid/heavy as well as good performers.

Old 03-31-2016   #56
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tho60 View Post
To make the long story short, do you recommend Moskva-5 for buying, or not?
No.

Where are many of them in never used condition. Reason? Gem for collectors, but next to junk for using. This is why where are many Москва-2 in used condition and Москва-4 is most desirable among native users.

Old 03-31-2016   #57
znapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
No.

Where are many of them in never used condition. Reason? Gem for collectors, but next to junk for using. This is why where are many Москва-2 in used condition and Москва-4 is most desirable among native users.
Next to junk for using? How do people like you dig up accusations like that ?

That's just a silly comment for sure.

The folders got competition from TLR's and SLR's, that's what happened. Later, the Hasselblad-design knocked both the folders and the TLR's off the marked.

There were loads more Moskva-5's produced than the former versions. The lens on the 5 is faster and better than the former ones too.

I have yet to hear any ravings about the 2 and the 4.

The reason why the 2 is somewhat collectible, I cannot say, most likely it is because it contains German parts and that the glass (at least how I know commie-glass), may have had German lenses in them. (the Jupiters did). it may also be that is is a super ikonta, while the 1 is not. The 1's was also produced by German parts, and more then likely also German glass, so I would believe those collectible as well.

Production and quality control was also generally better until the mid 60's in the Soviet union, although the 5 was produced from the end of the 50's to early 60's, nothing wrong with that era. The 5 is a fully Soviet camera, and it shows, both as good (solid and durable build) and bad (quality control, variances in optical performance).

Besides, the price point for these camera's aren't at all expensive,

The first Moskva to be produced was the 1948 Moskva-1, that was at first produced with Zeiss Ikonta 6×9 pieces, and wth the help of Zeiss tools. Some 31.000 of this model were made until 1949.

The Moskva-2 was produced from 1947 to 1956, and over 197.000 of them were made. Where the Moskva-1 was assembled from original Zeiss Ikonta pieces, this one was made with original Super Ikonta pieces (which incorporates an uncoupled rangefinder).

From 1950 to 1951, the rather rare Moskva-3 was produced (only 11.385 made). This model resembled the original Moskva-1 in that it didn't have a rangefinder or a viewfinder. The strange thing about this camera is, that it wasn't meant for 120-film, but took sheet and plate film.

The Moskva-4 was produced from 1956 to 1958. Essentially a Moskva-2, it was equipped for both 6×9 and 6×6 photography, and was supplied with a 6×6 insert mask. Small numbers with Moskva-5 style tops were made.

From the Moskva-4 series 2, the Moskva-5 evolved. This was essentially the same camera as the former model, but it had an Industar-24 10.5cm f/3.5 instead of an Industar-23 11.0 cm f/4.5, and a Moment-24S shutter instead of a Moment-23S. Essentially still a Zeiss Super Ikonta copy, this camera has the advantage of a dual-format system, a good lens, a coupled rangefinder, an excellent finish, a self-timer, and a proper viewfinder.

The Moskva-5 stayed in production until 1960. A grand total of 216.457 (according to Princelle) were produced. Princelle also mentions that these cameras generally have an exemplary finish, something that I'm willing to take his word for.

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/moskva5/

Old 03-31-2016   #58
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by znapper View Post
How do people like you dig up accusations like that ?
It is very easy.

First read reviews. Москва-5 is not in favorites among native users.
Second, judge by buying, doing CLA and using it for taking of pictures (and not just by couple of rolls to dump in clueless review).

Москва-5 was no exception for me. I've had two. Because I didn't purchased Москва-2 first.

Cheers, born in Москва, Ко.

Old 03-31-2016   #59
znapper

Wow, what a despicable demeanor keep being a detestable nay-sayer then, opinionated and halfway rude as you go along.

And for the record i DID actually read reviews and I have never claimed to expect a Bessa II when I buy a Soviet rangefinder COPY, get that into your arrogant head first.

Secondly, not every review needs to be a goddamn technical whitepaper, it's my impressions, nothing more, nothing less.

What does your focus-testing shots prove?

Nothing.

I shoot with my Mosva 5 regularly and although not as sharp as my Bessa II, it's still (my camera anyway) both fun and pretty damn good.

I am done arguing with you.

Old 03-31-2016   #60
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Good, because I never have intention to agrgue with you.
Use yours as fun camera, I used my Moskva-2 instead of overpaying for Bessa II.
LoL.

Old 03-31-2016   #61
ray*j*gun

Is there a preferred vendor today that is reliable whereby I might try out one of the FSU folders? I own 2 FSU Barnack copies that I enjoy very much but never had the urge to try the medium format. Thanks!!

Ray

Old 03-31-2016   #62
znapper

Buy from a top seller in Ukraine on eBay, I've bought from several of them and it has been all good. (usually free int shipping too).

They go between $50 and $90, depending on service status and accessories (make sure the tester can verify functionality and light-tightness and try to get one which has the 6*6 mask included, some sellers have test-shots online, which shows how the camera delivers)

I bought mine for $70 from a physical store in Prague and the guy had really done a good job servicing it.

Old 03-31-2016   #63
Eric T

I had a Moskva 5 for a while. The camera back would not keep the film plane flat so my images were out of focus. I sold it.
I also had an Iskra 2 that was terrific. Very sharp lens. The focus ring was hard to turn but otherwise had no problems. I just wasn't that keen on the 6x6 format so I sold that one too.
The only folder I have left is a Fujifilm GF670. I bought it used a few years ago at a great price. It is a great camera. Of course, it is a modern design, with a fabulous viewfinder, and is very reliable. I need to use it more than I do.

Old 04-01-2016   #64
znapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
I had a Moskva 5 for a while. The camera back would not keep the film plane flat so my images were out of focus. I sold it.
I also had an Iskra 2 that was terrific. Very sharp lens. The focus ring was hard to turn but otherwise had no problems. I just wasn't that keen on the 6x6 format so I sold that one too.
The only folder I have left is a Fujifilm GF670. I bought it used a few years ago at a great price. It is a great camera. Of course, it is a modern design, with a fabulous viewfinder, and is very reliable. I need to use it more than I do.
Not sure if it matters or not, but a trick to these 6*9 folders, is to only wind the film forward only when you are about to actually take a photo.

If you do it after a photo is taken, close the camera and later open it, the suction-effect and the general position of the film, may cause it to sag.

Not sure if you did or didn't, but there you go.

I've read that these cameras have have issues with the pressure-plate not being straight etc, mine does not seem to have that problem, but I can see the service-guy I bought it from, filled the back of that plate with some foam, to make it more firm.

He had also built up the compartment with the film-spools with a a few dots of foam too, most likely to avoid the film to develop slack.

Old 04-01-2016   #65
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Contrary to other people's experiences, my Moskva-2 was problematic and never worked properly. My Moskva-5 has worked 100% without trouble.

Design-wise, I like the Moskva-5 a little better than the Moskva-2, it appears to me that the factory had finally gotten the formula 'right'. Since the Moskva-5 was the last 6x9 model produced (and mine has a late serial number as well) my assumption is that they worked out all the bugs.

Here's one taken with my Moskva-2 (before it became unusable) ... Ilford PanF+, farm scene ... looks like a scene in the Old Country!

And here's another using my Moskva-5, Kodak Ektacolor 160 (expired 1990's)

The IQ on my Moskva-5 is really good, and the huge 6x9 negatives are a great way to burn through a roll of film!

Old 04-01-2016   #66
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

I have the chance to own a Moskva 5 that is either a prototype or an intelligently modified model. It has a combined viewfinder/rangefinder so you can frame the picture and focus at the same time. It seems like a logical stepup from the Moskva 4. I think it's how every Moskva 5 camera was meant to be but for whatever reason, someone decided to retain the outdated separate viewfinder/rangefinder design.

Here's a (pretty bad) picture of the camera:

If anyone is interested, I could post more detailed pictures.

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #67
Huss

Digging this thread...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #68
raid
Dad Photographer

I miss my Moskva-5 camera. Maybe I should buy another one? Who bought from me the red Moskva-5 with a Moskva-4 lens.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #69
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

That's funny, I just rediscovered my customized Moskva-5 with integrated rangefinder/viewfinder tucked away at the rear of a closet. I put a roll of Smena 64 film in it and started shooting. A very pleasant camera indeed, much better in my view than the Super Ikonta. My only grip is that I find it quite ponderous compared to my favorite 6x9 folders (Bessa RF and Agfa Record III).

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #70
Huss

I'm shooting mine right now. Interesting that I get sharp pics at 1/100 and below, but get camera shake at 1/250. Going to pump several rolls through it this weekend, after all we are in Red Oktober! Plus I need to catch up to Larry...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #71
maddoc
... likes film.

Not so easy to get satisfying results with this camera, mostly because the limited shutter speed of 1/250. I managed to easily adjust the horizontal misalignment of my MOSKVA-5 rangefinder.

Plus-X 125

201404-120-MOSKVA5-125PX-010 copy by Gabor Samjeske, on Flickr

flickr
pBase

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #72
Huss

This is a nice review. I really enjoy Eduardo's site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA5b-Xx9M88

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #73
Huss

Just got some rolls back.

Mockba 5 aka White Russian, Fuji NPS160, handheld @ 1/10sec f 3.5

While this is natively a 6x9 kamera, I shoot it with the 6x6 mask installed cuz I have 2 other 6x9 kameras, I like the square format, and I like to get 12 exposures per roll...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #74
Huss

Mockba 5, Fuji NPS160

What is interesting is if I shoot at 1/250 I get blurry pics. Anything below that is sharp - even handheld at 1/10! (neon pic above). It seems that something in the shutter causes severe shock at 1/250. Are other Mockbas like that?

Also parallax is an issue at close distances until you figure it out via trial and error.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #75
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
No.

I guess one could apply that logic to all the old Leica LTM and M mount cameras out there.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #76
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Mockba 5, Fuji NPS160

What is interesting is if I shoot at 1/250 I get blurry pics. Anything below that is sharp - even handheld at 1/10! (neon pic above). It seems that something in the shutter causes severe shock at 1/250. Are other Mockbas like that?

I have rarely used mine at 1/250 to notice one way or another. I do know that it has a booster spring for the 1/250 speed. Maybe that spring letting go and the three bladed shutter (not typical 5 blades) creates the jolting motions?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #77
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
I have rarely used mine at 1/250 to notice one way or another. I do know that it has a booster spring for the 1/250 speed. Maybe that spring letting go and the three bladed shutter (not typical 5 blades) creates the jolting motions?
I'm going to shoot the same image at 1/250 and 1/100 on my next roll just to confirm this. But I am pretty sure that's the case because I have had zero issues at 1/100.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #78
Huss

Mockba 5, Ilford Delta 400

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #79
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
I guess one could apply that logic to all the old Leica LTM and M mount cameras out there.
I have no idea how yours logic works.

I just have practical and real life experience with old FSU gear. If it is old and looks unused - it is брак from the factory. Moskva, Kiev, Zorki same thing.

Was Leica the same, selling not functioning cameras?

In USSR it was norm, not only for cameras. I was never able to learn how to play on guitar. It was hard to find one and years later the one I was trying to use (someone gave it my mother as new) it appears to be брак from the factory.